What MLB rules should be changed?

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58791
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2364
x 7960

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Removing a SP works just like how putting the DH in the field works today. The relief pitcher takes the DH's spot in the batting order, so while everyone has the DH, managers still have to consider how they replace pitchers w/r/t the offensive side.


So if Schwarber is your DH and you pull the SP, you'd have to move Schwarber to the field to keep him in the lineup? And then the DH is basically gone the rest of the game?


Or more likely, Schwarber is done for the day when you pull the SP.

with a lead, yes. without a lead, quite possibly no.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 436
x 138

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
seanimal wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:- DH in both leagues tied to the starting pitcher


as the person who invented this idea* i demand you call it hybrid dh

*maybe


I really like this idea(if the ultimate endgame is DH) and don't think I've ever heard it before.


Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33914
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 768
x 5381

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
seanimal wrote:
as the person who invented this idea* i demand you call it hybrid dh

*maybe


I really like this idea(if the ultimate endgame is DH) and don't think I've ever heard it before.


Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?

It would be pretty much how it is now; you tie another DH to a reliever (pinch-hitter).
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 657
x 1051

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:Was it mojo who thought you could DH for the shortstop or catcher if you wanted to the last time this was brought up?


Damn right. It's the best way to implement the DH and deep down you know it.



Agreed, they mentioned this on the radio today. You could use your DH option on someone horsefeathers like Ross instead of the pitcher.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11918
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1586
x 596

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Man, f that, we're building a dongeriffic lineup, I wanna maximize their time in the game. In fact let's petition for two DHs.
0 x
Image

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 235
x 197

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby seanimal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
seanimal wrote:
as the person who invented this idea* i demand you call it hybrid dh

*maybe


I really like this idea(if the ultimate endgame is DH) and don't think I've ever heard it before.


Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?


yes, the dh can only bat for the starting pitcher
0 x

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 236
x 794

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Liam Neeson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:39 pm

seanimal wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
I really like this idea(if the ultimate endgame is DH) and don't think I've ever heard it before.


Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?


yes, the dh can only bat for the starting pitcher


So if a SP horsefeathers the bed in the first 2 innings you're further punishing the team by removing a good bat out of their lineup and further decreasing any chance of a comeback?

I am intrigued but it needs to be flushed out more.
0 x
Image

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49479
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 504
x 1400

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:58 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:
seanimal wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?


yes, the dh can only bat for the starting pitcher


So if a SP [expletive] the bed in the first 2 innings you're further punishing the team by removing a good bat out of their lineup and further decreasing any chance of a comeback?

I am intrigued but it needs to be flushed out more.


Then you pinch hit, the same way you would now in an NL game. Not allowing Bryant and Rizzo to take all of our ABs decreases our chances of a comeback in a game too.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77426
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9674
x 12819

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:Was it mojo who thought you could DH for the shortstop or catcher if you wanted to the last time this was brought up?


Damn right. It's the best way to implement the DH and deep down you know it.



Agreed, they mentioned this on the radio today. You could use your DH option on someone [expletive] like Ross instead of the pitcher.


Image
0 x
► Show Spoiler

CP_414
All-Star
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:29 pm
x 6
x 10

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby CP_414 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 pm

I like the hybrid DH idea. Other changes I would like to see:

1. Robot strike zone
2. Eliminate divisions
3. Eliminate the neighborhood play.
4. Allow trading of all draft picks
5. Remove draft and IFA restrictions
6. Remove all comp picks
7. Make the DS round best of 7
8. Shorten the season by just a few games, maybe to 154.
9. World Series home field goes to the best record.
10. Remove the heavily unbalanced schedule.
11. Move the trade deadline to Aug 15. And get rid of the waiver trade deadline.
12. Increase rosters to 26 or 27.
13. Reduce September rosters to a max of 30.
14. Allow college players to enter the draft any year.
15. Draft lottery for the bottom 5 teams and a minimum combined MLB/Draft/IFA payroll for teams receiving revenue sharing money.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66321
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5035
x 5011

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Banedon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:17 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Brian707 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Damn right. It's the best way to implement the DH and deep down you know it.



Agreed, they mentioned this on the radio today. You could use your DH option on someone [expletive] like Ross instead of the pitcher.


Image


Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77426
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9674
x 12819

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 am

Image
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 235
x 197

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby seanimal » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:11 am

Liam Neeson wrote:
seanimal wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
Forgive my feeble mind, but does this mean that once you take your starting pitcher out, you lose the DH for the rest of the game?


yes, the dh can only bat for the starting pitcher


So if a SP [expletive] the bed in the first 2 innings you're further punishing the team by removing a good bat out of their lineup and further decreasing any chance of a comeback?

I am intrigued but it needs to be flushed out more.


yes, exactly. and on the flip side, if your starting pitcher goes deep, so does your dh. these things balance out over the course of a season
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66321
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5035
x 5011

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/DPLennon/status/690246814889422850


And, predictably, Manfred walking this back now...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643 ... ule-coming
0 x
Image

User avatar
treebird
chinese food
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:25 am
x 2650
x 1763

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby treebird » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Banedon wrote:
Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/DPLennon/status/690246814889422850


And, predictably, Manfred walking this back now...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643 ... ule-coming


TOO LATE HE ALREADY PROMISED

also, optimistic treebird likes to think this is just him trying to reverse course and position the nl dh as something for the owners to concede in the upcoming labor talks instead of something they actually want.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66321
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5035
x 5011

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:21 pm

treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/DPLennon/status/690246814889422850


And, predictably, Manfred walking this back now...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643 ... ule-coming


TOO LATE HE ALREADY PROMISED

also, optimistic treebird likes to think this is just him trying to reverse course and position the nl dh as something for the owners to concede in the upcoming labor talks instead of something they actually want.


Nobody expects the double reverse fake-out!
0 x
Image

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9082
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 235
x 197

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby seanimal » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 am

he prolly read this thread and is like "man i need to sell this hybrid dh thing to the owners'

but mr. manfred say no more. it sells itself!
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58791
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2364
x 7960

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Tim wrote:I feel like I must be the only person that pace of game doesn't really bother.

nope

the old divorced men demo has nothing if not time to kill


sorry fellas
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Lenny
Starter
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 pm
x 7
x 4

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Lenny » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:12 am

There's a reason Mozeliak is the one making noise on this. He's had one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen. Their true genius moved to Houston, but the best fans in baseball haven't figured that out yet.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 97
x 377

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby Bull » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:02 am

Banedon wrote:
treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:
And, predictably, Manfred walking this back now...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643 ... ule-coming


TOO LATE HE ALREADY PROMISED

also, optimistic treebird likes to think this is just him trying to reverse course and position the nl dh as something for the owners to concede in the upcoming labor talks instead of something they actually want.


Nobody expects the double reverse fake-out!


It's like the fake to first, fake to third.
0 x
Image

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8855
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 5540
x 1103

Re: What MLB rules should be changed?

Postby weis21 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Bull wrote:
Banedon wrote:
treebird wrote:
TOO LATE HE ALREADY PROMISED

also, optimistic treebird likes to think this is just him trying to reverse course and position the nl dh as something for the owners to concede in the upcoming labor talks instead of something they actually want.


Nobody expects the double reverse fake-out!


It's like the fake to first, fake to third.

that play went out with blue suede shoes
0 x


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Splendid Splinter and 2 guests