General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
David
Inner-Circle HOF

General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:42 pm

If there MUST be the occasional megathread, down with musings, up with chit chat

So today while I was driving in to work, they were talking about this, from Dave Cameron's chat, on the Score:

Gila Monster: If you can buy Rodon as a #2 starter and have a bit of hope for Lawrie, aren’t the White Sox quite decent? If they signed Cespedes, they really wouldn’t have that many scrubs.

Dave Cameron: The back of their rotation sucks. They don’t have a shortstop. If they sign Cespedes, they aren’t starting Garcia, who also stinks, but that’s a big if. They’re still a very weak team at the bottom of their roster.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dave-cam ... hat-12016/

Then some lunatic calls in 5 minutes later talking about how he almost drove off the road when they were saying this (they replied that they were just reading what Dave Cameron said), and how he'd definitely take the Sox pitching over the Cubs. Lester and Lackey are old and will break down at the end "just like they were last year" and Arrieta had a horseshoe up his butt last year. They stopped him and asked him if he wouldn't take Arrieta, to which he first responded that he would never in a million years take him over Sale. They said they weren't asking about Sale, but would he take Arrieta on the Sox staff. Then he replied that, sure, he'd take him, but he'd be their 4th starter because he doesn't have a wipeout pitch like Rondon and Arrieta has never been as good as Quintana long term (or something like that).

He also said the Cubs might not be that good because if you look at the back of their players' baseball cards, there's only one year, and Josh Phegley had a good year once too.

I just wanted to share this.
Last edited by David on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Threat

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:44 pm

is that a threat?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 pm

i'll tell you who's an attractive man. george will.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:is that a threat?

stupid fingers
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:34 pm

rocket wrote:i'll tell you who's an attractive man. george will.

He's smart...
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:18 pm

0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:02 pm

and Mendy never again was able to know what a true strike zone would look like
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Bryce Harper 2016 ZiPS
.311 .431 .592 1.023
#1 Comp - Ted Williams
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 am

Really nothing?

Ted horsefeathering Williams is his #1 comp you guys.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 am

Gonna be awesome when the Cardinals sign him.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:11 am

NonProfitCow wrote:Gonna be awesome when the Cardinals sign him.

The Cardinals are never signing anyone awesome ever again.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 am

NonProfitCow wrote:Bryce Harper 2016 ZiPS
.311 .431 .592 1.023
#1 Comp - Ted Williams

I really wish the Cubs had bought "low" on Harper last year when he was disgruntled and the Nats thought he wasn't worth the trouble.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:24 am

ted williams?
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

You're just hating because they signed Carlos Peguero
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:22 am

NonProfitCow wrote:Really nothing?

Ted [expletive] Williams is his #1 comp you guys.

Bryce Harper is Ted Williams #1 comp, not the other way around.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:18 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

But when that great 2018 FA class comes up, they're gonna be the runner-up on like half those guys.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:23 am

NonProfitCow wrote:Gonna be awesome when the Cardinals trade for him in his walk year and then he signs with us after we demolish him in the playoffs therefore showing him how awesome we are.

Fixed.
1 x

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Is there a listing of the top players in terms of BABIP in 2015? With the talk of how much Piscotty and Grichuk benefited from well above average BABIP I'm curious where they rank.

Also I noticed Alex Reyes, of the Cardinals, ranked number three on MLB.com's top RHP listing. With Reyes' 50 game suspension what would everyone suspect would be a realistic time period for him to be promoted to the bigs? With Garcia and Martinez being above average injury risks I'm curious when Reyes, at the earliest, would be ready to step in should an injury occur in the rotation.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:47 pm

StylesClash wrote:Is there a listing of the top players in terms of BABIP in 2015? With the talk of how much Piscotty and Grichuk benefited from well above average BABIP I'm curious where they rank.

Also I noticed Alex Reyes, of the Cardinals, ranked number three on MLB.com's top RHP listing. With Reyes' 50 game suspension what would everyone suspect would be a realistic time period for him to be promoted to the bigs? With Garcia and Martinez being above average injury risks I'm curious when Reyes, at the earliest, would be ready to step in should an injury occur in the rotation.

Im thinking some time after game 50.

But if you want a better answer than that, perhaps you should go ask your fellow fans over at GRB.
0 x

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:
StylesClash wrote:Is there a listing of the top players in terms of BABIP in 2015? With the talk of how much Piscotty and Grichuk benefited from well above average BABIP I'm curious where they rank.

But if you want a better answer than that, perhaps you should go ask your fellow fans over at GRB.

"Some time after game 50"? That's quite the analysis, sir. Shame on me for thinking that a reply would speculate how many minor league innings or starts would be needed before serious consideration would be given for a promotion. I think it's time that you take over Ron Darlings slot on the MLB Network. Your knowledge and perspective clearly warrants it.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Piscotty 9th and Grichuk 16th out of 311 players. I had to put the minimum PA at 250 since neither of them had enough PA to qualify on the normal list.
0 x

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm

RammyFanny wrote:

Piscotty 9th and Grichuk 16th out of 311 players. I had to put the minimum PA at 250 since neither of them had enough PA to qualify on the normal list.

Thanks for the legit reply. The reason why I'm asking so many Cardinal questions is that I'm considering betting a rather large amount on the Cubs to win the Central. And with the Bucs losing Burnett and Happ the Cards are the only likely team to threaten that bet. So I'm just looking to learn as much about the Cardinals in terms of possible player declines and minor league impact promotions.

Also could you please give the link where you found the BABIP listing?
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:40 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:44 pm

StylesClash wrote:The reason why I'm asking so many Cardinal questions is that I'm considering betting a rather large amount on the Cubs to win the Central. And with the Bucs losing Burnett and Happ the Cards are the only likely team to threaten that bet. So I'm just looking to learn as much about the Cardinals in terms of possible player declines and minor league impact promotions.

Wouldn't it make more sense in this totally not made up scenario to be asking about the Cardinals on a Cardinals message board? Or are you inexplicably asking them about the Cubs?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:47 pm

StylesClash wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:

"Some time after game 50"? That's quite the analysis, sir. Shame on me for thinking that a reply would speculate how many minor league innings or starts would be needed before serious consideration would be given for a promotion. I think it's time that you take over Ron Darlings slot on the MLB Network. Your knowledge and perspective clearly warrants it.

I was just being cheeky...no need to get all "BFIB" on me.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”