General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 pm
x 1687
x 362

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Brian wrote:
soccer10k wrote:Prior is the new Dodger pitching coach. Honeycutt is being reassigned to a special assistant role.


This is most likely the best October 14th of Mark's life.

Image
10 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28877
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 42
x 4952
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 pm

0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15389
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6171
x 2017

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby The Logan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Division Title Flags Fly Forever
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70820
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1301
x 2662

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Brian wrote:


Yes, an influx of cheap, farm-grown talent will lower your payroll. That curve is about to start rocketing up again, though, so let’s not pay ourselves on the back too much, LA
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15389
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6171
x 2017

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby The Logan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Nevermind the fact that all the superstar and high-value players on that roster... Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, Jansen, Bellinger, Seager, Turner, Pederson. They were all drafted, traded for, or signed before he got there. The best acquisition Friedman has made has probably been Max Muncy and the best FA signing with the best return on investment has probably been Brandon Morrow. His highest-profile trades were for 2-month rentals of Yu Darvish and Manny Machado. He let Zack Greinke walk and traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields and has spent most of his FA money on retaining the talent they already had before he got there and securing their rights well past ther prime years.

You can say that guys like Bellinger and Buehler thrived in a development environment that Friedman had put in place, but the Dodgers were never short on young talent coming up through the ranks and those were higher profile draft picks.

Friedman is good at keeping costs down and drafting and developing talent, and that's great that the Dodgers are doing a bang-up job in that department, but Friedman makes garbage outside acquisitions and big money decisions.

He Dusty'd his way into a juggernaut of a team. The next 5 years will determine how good Friedman really is vs. the past 5 years when he's relied on the talents of players that were brought into the organization by Ned Colletti, who got fired after back to back 1st place finishes resulted in NL playoff losses. Meanwhile, Friedman's teams have finished first every year of his tenure and lost 3 NL playoff series and back-to-back world series. That means the Dodgers have finished first for 7 years in a row and have nothing to show for it and 5 of those years were at Friedman's helm.

But he's a genius or something.
3 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56424
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 520
x 6887

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:28 pm

The Logan wrote:Nevermind the fact that all the superstar and high-value players on that roster... Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, Jansen, Bellinger, Seager, Turner, Pederson. They were all drafted, traded for, or signed before he got there. The best acquisition Friedman has made has probably been Max Muncy and the best FA signing with the best return on investment has probably been Brandon Morrow. His highest-profile trades were for 2-month rentals of Yu Darvish and Manny Machado. He let Zack Greinke walk and traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields and has spent most of his FA money on retaining the talent they already had before he got there and securing their rights well past ther prime years.

You can say that guys like Bellinger and Buehler thrived in a development environment that Friedman had put in place, but the Dodgers were never short on young talent coming up through the ranks and those were higher profile draft picks.

Friedman is good at keeping costs down and drafting and developing talent, and that's great that the Dodgers are doing a bang-up job in that department, but Friedman makes garbage outside acquisitions and big money decisions.

He Dusty'd his way into a juggernaut of a team. The next 5 years will determine how good Friedman really is vs. the past 5 years when he's relied on the talents of players that were brought into the organization by Ned Colletti, who got fired after back to back 1st place finishes resulted in NL playoff losses. Meanwhile, Friedman's teams have finished first every year of his tenure and lost 3 NL playoff series and back-to-back world series. That means the Dodgers have finished first for 7 years in a row and have nothing to show for it and 5 of those years were at Friedman's helm.

But he's a genius or something.


This reads a bit like the Cards fans who claim Theo isn't very good because the Cubs have a higher payroll than most teams. Yes, Friedman inherited a very talented organization, and yes he has a blind spot when it comes to paying for free agents, but he's still averaged 97 wins per year for a half decade. If it were that easy every wealthy team would do it.
1 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 410
x 394

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:34 pm

The Logan wrote:Nevermind the fact that all the superstar and high-value players on that roster... Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, Jansen, Bellinger, Seager, Turner, Pederson. They were all drafted, traded for, or signed before he got there. The best acquisition Friedman has made has probably been Max Muncy and the best FA signing with the best return on investment has probably been Brandon Morrow. His highest-profile trades were for 2-month rentals of Yu Darvish and Manny Machado. He let Zack Greinke walk and traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields and has spent most of his FA money on retaining the talent they already had before he got there and securing their rights well past ther prime years.

You can say that guys like Bellinger and Buehler thrived in a development environment that Friedman had put in place, but the Dodgers were never short on young talent coming up through the ranks and those were higher profile draft picks.

Friedman is good at keeping costs down and drafting and developing talent, and that's great that the Dodgers are doing a bang-up job in that department, but Friedman makes garbage outside acquisitions and big money decisions.

He Dusty'd his way into a juggernaut of a team. The next 5 years will determine how good Friedman really is vs. the past 5 years when he's relied on the talents of players that were brought into the organization by Ned Colletti, who got fired after back to back 1st place finishes resulted in NL playoff losses. Meanwhile, Friedman's teams have finished first every year of his tenure and lost 3 NL playoff series and back-to-back world series. That means the Dodgers have finished first for 7 years in a row and have nothing to show for it and 5 of those years were at Friedman's helm.

But he's a genius or something.


To be fair, Buehler was his first draft pick and followed that up with Will Smith in 2016. As for shrewd signings, I'd also add Chris Taylor and Kenta Maeda in addition to Morrow. And he somehow extracted Yasmani Grandal for Matt Kemp. The player development has is a clear separator, which you noted.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 82525
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 13352
x 15801

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:If it were that easy every wealthy team would do it.


Image
2 x
► Show Spoiler

Stu
Starter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: New York, NY
x 36

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Stu » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Spoiler: show
Image



That's amazing... LOVE Peaky Blinders btw....
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 2792
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2132
x 1011

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:25 pm



Felix Pie... I remember him lol
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8759
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 240
x 3235

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:46 pm

1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8759
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 240
x 3235

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Predictably, seeing lots of cries of "OUTRAGE CULTURE!" from the types of people you'd assume would utter such [expletive].

Anyway:
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 4717
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 4601
x 2001

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Predictably, seeing lots of cries of "OUTRAGE CULTURE!" from the types of people you'd assume would utter such [expletive].

Anyway:

...we are exactly as bad as the Astros.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 184
x 673

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Bring on the robot umps

0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45430
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2601
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 am

cival
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 3311
x 773

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby cl smooth » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 am

Captain Amarica: Cival War
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45430
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 80
x 2601
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:38 am

Shut up and be cival, morans!
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70820
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1301
x 2662

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:47 am

Image
0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 4717
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 4601
x 2001

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:48 am

Racist T-1000 umps now, please.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 184
x 673

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Racist T-1000 umps now, please.

Image
13 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6175
x 6053

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Phillies Hire Girardi
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 82525
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 13352
x 15801

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Banedon wrote:Phillies Hire Girardi


He better not touch a single beautiful hair on Bryce's head.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6175
x 6053

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:Phillies Hire Girardi


He better not touch a single beautiful hair on Bryce's head.


Image
5 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67630
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6175
x 6053

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:56 pm

0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28877
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 42
x 4952
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Padres are hiring a totally real person named Jayce Tingler as their manager.
0 x


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests