General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Enn Tea
All-Star

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Enn Tea » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:god, i've never wanted the cardinals to suck as badly as i want them to suck this season.

I want them to miss the playoffs by one game, losing game 162 in the most heartbreaking way possible

Screw that, I want them too lose 100. They won't, but I want them to lose as much as possible.

If they lose 100, theyll wind up drafting 3 or 4 kris bryants in the same draft. Best to have them win about 85 games.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 am

http://radio.cbssports.com/2016/02/17/f ... 4I.twitter

this feinstein guy who always has hot sports takes on the radio has some scalding takes on sabermetrics
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:05 am

David wrote:http://radio.cbssports.com/2016/02/17/feinstein-dont-buy-the-saber-metricians/#.VsUZyMcTY4I.twitter

this feinstein guy who always has hot sports takes on the radio has some scalding takes on sabermetrics

oh look, another guy who thinks sabermetrics means predicting exact numbers for future seasons YAWN
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 am

David wrote:http://radio.cbssports.com/2016/02/17/feinstein-dont-buy-the-saber-metricians/#.VsUZyMcTY4I.twitter

I can picture lupica drooling as he waits for his turn
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 am

Derwood wrote:

oh look, another guy who thinks sabermetrics means predicting exact numbers for future seasons YAWN

From the article:
Really? We now know how players and—apparently—teams will perform based on sabre-metrics before the first round of Pitchers Fielding Practice in spring training?

So why bother with the season?

Um, John you do realize that people in nearly every field of work use algorithms and data to predict how things will turn out in the future? I mean, trillions of dollars change hands every year thanks to people using data to predict the future.

Has he ever looked at a weather forecast?
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:52 am

Man, that thing is a real doozy. It really could use the FJM treatment. He keeps referring to it as "sabre-metrics." (Though, he also uses "saber-metrics.") So it is definitely some sharp analysis.

I also enjoyed this part:
Am I nuts or do I remember virtually everyone picking Boras’s beloved Nationals to win The World Series last year? How did that work out?

Here’s the problem—among many—with sabre-metrics: they can’t possibly account for the human side of the game (any game). They can’t account for how a player performs under pressure (oh wait, I know, there are computers that now say there’s no such thing as a ‘clutch,’ player. Yeah, right.) or how his presence affects his teammates for good or for bad.

If you looked at sabre-metrics, you’d probably want Jonathan Papelbon on your team. Except for one thing: sabre-metrics can’t account for the fact that Papelbon has been a cancer everywhere he’s been.

He then goes on to talk about all the championships Derek Jeter has won. So, yada yada yada, stats don't matter as much as your "presence."

I'm just extrapolating here, but I believe what he is implying is: The Nationals were loved by stat nerds last year, but they couldn't win it all because Jonathan Papelbon was a cancer. So, though you nerds may love Papelbon because of his stats, he isn't a winner in my book because of his presence. That is why the Nationals didn't win it last year.

Except... from a cursory glance, it appears that Papelbon was the only pitcher on the Nationals last year that has ever won a World Series. So, maybe it was the rest of the team's presence that actually brought down Papelbon's championship presence.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 am

Yeah, that Feinstein article was great and FJM was the first thing I thought of as well.

I really liked this line:

The saber-metricians will insist they DO know what will happen this season.

Sorry John, but none of them do that. I also loved the few instances (like the one above) of him putting a few words in all caps for emphasis.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Terry Collins also not a fan of sabermetrics.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.2535461

I’m not sure how much an old-school guy can add to the game today,’’ Collins told USA Today. “It’s become a young man’s game, especially with all of the technology stuff you’ve got to be involved in. I’m not very good at it. I don’t enjoy it like other people do.

“I’m not going to sit there today and look at all of these (expletive) numbers and try to predict this guy is going to be a great player. OPS this. OPS that. GPS. LCSs. DSDs. You know who has good numbers? Good (expletive) players.

“That’s why to me the (Yoenis) Cespedes signing was good for us. He changed our team last year. He makes our lineup legitimate. This guy is going to hit 25 to 30 homers. He’s going to drive in 100 runs. That’s what he does.

“Those are the numbers I like."
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I "get" the old cranks that just can't wrap their heads around something like, say, WAR, but something like Collins ranting about OPS is just absurd at this point.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Duke Silver wrote:So why bother with the season?

kenpom and 538 are almost good enough to where i have this thought, and it's kind of a bummer tbh
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Collins talking OPS like it's foreign is bizarre, but he's prefacing it by kind of saying he's an idiot. I've seen much worse.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I "get" the old cranks that just can't wrap their heads around something like, say, WAR, but something like Collins ranting about OPS is just absurd at this point.

In his defense, OPS does require adding 2 numbers together and math is hard.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:30 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Collins talking OPS like it's foreign is bizarre, but he's prefacing it by kind of saying he's an idiot. I've seen much worse.

i enjoyed the made up 3 letter acronyms part
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Banedon wrote:Terry Collins also not a fan of sabermetrics.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.2535461

I’m not sure how much an old-school guy can add to the game today,’’ Collins told USA Today. “It’s become a young man’s game, especially with all of the technology stuff you’ve got to be involved in. I’m not very good at it. I don’t enjoy it like other people do.

“I’m not going to sit there today and look at all of these (expletive) numbers and try to predict this guy is going to be a great player. OPS this. OPS that. GPS. LCSs. DSDs. You know who has good numbers? Good (expletive) players.

“That’s why to me the (Yoenis) Cespedes signing was good for us. He changed our team last year. He makes our lineup legitimate. This guy is going to hit 25 to 30 homers. He’s going to drive in 100 runs. That’s what he does.

“Those are the numbers I like."
Collins is lucky that they caught lightening in a bottle or he wouldn't be managing the Mets.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:38 pm

RIP Tony Phillips

I used to imitate his stance/swing playing wiffle ball
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Yahoo’s Jeff Passan is reporting that MLB agent Bart Hernandez was arrested this morning after a federal grand jury indicted him on human-trafficking charges.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-agent- ... 08286.html
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 pm

1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:28 am

the homie Barrold looking like he could still OPS 800

1 x

dawson1989
Role Player

Postby dawson1989 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:48 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:the homie Barrold looking like he could still OPS 800

Looks like his head has shrunk.
2 x
YES! it's me

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Yeah, he looks more like Pittsburgh Barry than San Fran Barry.
1 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Duke Silver wrote:Man, that thing is a real doozy. It really could use the FJM treatment. He keeps referring to it as "sabre-metrics." (Though, he also uses "saber-metrics.") So it is definitely some sharp analysis.

I also enjoyed this part:
Am I nuts or do I remember virtually everyone picking Boras’s beloved Nationals to win The World Series last year? How did that work out?

Here’s the problem—among many—with sabre-metrics: they can’t possibly account for the human side of the game (any game). They can’t account for how a player performs under pressure (oh wait, I know, there are computers that now say there’s no such thing as a ‘clutch,’ player. Yeah, right.) or how his presence affects his teammates for good or for bad.

If you looked at sabre-metrics, you’d probably want Jonathan Papelbon on your team. Except for one thing: sabre-metrics can’t account for the fact that Papelbon has been a cancer everywhere he’s been.

I'm just extrapolating here, but I believe what he is implying is: The Nationals were loved by stat nerds last year, but they couldn't win it all because Jonathan Papelbon was a cancer. So, though you nerds may love Papelbon because of his stats, he isn't a winner in my book because of his presence. That is why the Nationals didn't win it last year.

The best part is how he assumes that people that use sabermetrics are robots who automatically can't use common sense to tell that someone's a "cancer." The GM is too caught up researching the deep abyss of fangraphs.com to see the headlines or hear the scouts warning you that Papelbon choked out the MVP.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:54 pm

0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:13 am

Arizona is paying Greinke $1M more this year than it's next six highest paid players will make combined.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:49 pm

Welp. Here it is. Via the @BostonGlobe, the picture that everyone's going to be talking about tomorrow. https://t.co/FbWPrm8DfH

Pablo wins the "best shape of his life" sweepstakes.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:44 am

The Angels hired Brendan Harris as a scout, meaning he retired. Always liked him, dating back to when he was a prospect with us. I remember I was on vacation in upstate NY when the Normar trade happened and there was a front cover story on Harris being in the trade because he was a local kid.

Memories.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”