General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:i'm pro-player and all, and this current really cba sucks for them, but at the same time, this whole backlash against teams not signing players from this lackluster free agent class, at least with regard to certain players, is kind of silly. i mean, eric hosmer, who has accumulated 9.9 fWAR (!!!) over 7 seasons, including seasons of -1.7, -0.1 and 0.0, is reportedly sitting on two 7-year offers but is holding out for an eight-year deal.

but the cap should be raised significantly. and rookie control should be shorter. if FOs want to keep harping on not wanting to pay for past performance, then let players get paid when they're most likely to be putting up their best years.

Agree with most of this though I’d think small market teams would have major push back on shortening control. Another big thing that should be changed is tying draft position to spending, teams should be able to spend what they want and the current set up really incentivized losing since finishing a few spots lower increases spending ability rather significantly

yup, i hear you. it would likely take a stoppage of play for that to even be on the table.

oh and im glad the cubs benefitted from it with bryant, but the service time rules need to change to something other than the "keep the player in the minors for 11 days and you get to control him for another year" BS. make it later in the season so it actually matters.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:07 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:i'm pro-player and all, and this current really cba sucks for them, but at the same time, this whole backlash against teams not signing players from this lackluster free agent class, at least with regard to certain players, is kind of silly. i mean, eric hosmer, who has accumulated 9.9 fWAR (!!!) over 7 seasons, including seasons of -1.7, -0.1 and 0.0, is reportedly sitting on two 7-year offers but is holding out for an eight-year deal.

but the cap should be raised significantly. and rookie control should be shorter. if FOs want to keep harping on not wanting to pay for past performance, then let players get paid when they're most likely to be putting up their best years.

Agree with most of this though I’d think small market teams would have major push back on shortening control. Another big thing that should be changed is tying draft position to spending, teams should be able to spend what they want and the current set up really incentivized losing since finishing a few spots lower increases spending ability rather significantly

Small market teams can suck it. Their owners are rich too. If they truly can't afford the cost of business of owning an MLB team, they should sell their team.
7 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Small market teams can suck it. Their owners are rich too. If they truly can't afford the cost of business of owning an MLB team, they should sell their team.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't begrudge small market teams and their plight. You're right about the owners of small market teams being rich enough to spend more during a team's competitive window. I would be angry if I were a Pirates fan about their lack of spending these last few years. Still, it is harder to compete in small markets when there is a big market team in the same division that is run efficiently like the Cubs.

I think small market teams should get more compensation in the form of draft picks/larger draft pools when they lose key free agents. I'm not sure about lowering the threshold for days on the big league roster for 1 year of service time. If they reduce the # of days needed on the big league roster teams will just keep prospects down even longer, and never call them up when September rolls around.

I mean some teams are already doing this -- I have no idea why the Rays didn't call up B. Honeywell last season outside of delaying his FA.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am

Regular Show wrote:I think small market teams should get more compensation in the form of draft picks/larger draft pools when they lose key free agents.

Wouldn't that just be more incentive to tank/spend less?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I think small market teams should get more compensation in the form of draft picks/larger draft pools when they lose key free agents.

Not necessarily. The Rays were never serious about re-signing A. Cobb whether they got compensated with a pick after the 4th round or a pick immediately after the 1st round. I think most small market teams rarely ever try to seriously re-sign their FAs (who receive a QO) once they reach FA. Many teams try to trade those players before they even reach FA now, like Mark Melancon and JD Martinez.

I do think the MLB draft needs some reform to lessen the incentive to tank for teams at the very bottom of the standings. There are multiple things you can do to avoid outright tanking, but if a team is comprised of a bunch of scrubs and okay prospects they're going to suck regardless. You can't force a team to spend money on FAs when it won't really help their long-term rebuild.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 am

Well, one of the problems is that some of these teams are technically just in a perpetual "rebuild" because of how little they spend. I'm just not sure why adding more incentives to not spending via draft picks/pool would change anything in that regard, especially since this is almost always a choice not to spend as opposed to an actual financial limitation.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

What he is trying to say is that small market team owners maybe don’t deserve to be assinated. BUT if they were to be...
1 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Here's a list of the 2018 (as of 11/17) small market teams receiving competitive balance picks. Revenue is a factor in determining who makes the list. How in the hell does StL make the list? They proudly boast attendance of 3M+ every year, they make a ton on merchandising and have fielded a competitive team for years.

31. Pirates
32. Rays (compensation for failing to sign 2017 draft pick Drew Rasmussen)
33. Orioles
34. Padres
35. Diamondbacks
36. Royals
37. Indians
38. Rockies
39. Cardinals

Competitive Balance Round B (after second round)

70. Marlins
71. Athletics
72. Rays
73. Reds
74. Brewers
75. Twins

Maybe the factor in determining whether or not a team receives a CB pick is simply calculating the average W/L record over a 3-5 year period.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm

0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

38-year-old former Tigers starter Andy Van Hekken is attempting to earn a job with an MLB club, Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press writes.

He pitched 30 innings in 2002 (yup, 2002), and that is the extent of his MLB experience. His numbers in the KBO the past few years haven't been too bad. You do you, dude.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Am I the only one here that would give my right nut to read the words "St. Louis Cardinals" and "relegated" in the same sentence?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 am

DiceMan4221 wrote:Am I the only one here that would give my right nut to read the words "St. Louis Cardinals" and "relegated" in the same sentence?

St. Louis Cardinals no longer relegated to middling status, will now receive ten competitive balance picks per year.

0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 am

DiceMan4221 wrote:Am I the only one here that would give my right nut to read the words "St. Louis Cardinals" and "relegated" in the same sentence?

Why not your left nut?
0 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 am

d_money wrote:

Why not your left nut?

He gave that one up to sign Heyward.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

chopsx9 wrote:
d_money wrote:

Why not your left nut?

He gave that one up to sign Heyward.

It was actually from an injury while I worked as a stunt man in a movie from the 80s.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 am

Completely random but fun fact: The Miami/Florida Marlins will be playing their 25th season in 2018. In those 25 years, they have never spent a single day in first place during the months of July, August, September or October. The latest they’ve ever been at least tied for first is June 30th back in 2004. In the 2 years they won the World Series, they were never in 1st place later than April 11th.
2 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:29 am

UMFan83 wrote:Completely random but fun fact: The Miami/Florida Marlins will be playing their 25th season in 2018. In those 25 years, they have never spent a single day in first place during the months of July, August, September or October. The latest they’ve ever been at least tied for first is June 30th back in 2004. In the 2 years they won the World Series, they were never in 1st place later than April 11th.

Well, that's why we need to horsefeathers over Wild Card teams as much as possible.

Spoiler: show
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 am

Phil Coke trying to come back as a knuckle ball pitcher.

If successful he would be the first LH knuckler since Daniel Boone retired in 1990.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Completely random but fun fact: The Miami/Florida Marlins will be playing their 25th season in 2018. In those 25 years, they have never spent a single day in first place during the months of July, August, September or October. The latest they’ve ever been at least tied for first is June 30th back in 2004. In the 2 years they won the World Series, they were never in 1st place later than April 11th.

Where in the wild, wild, wild, world of sports did you find that stat?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Hot take: The Reds’ Luis Castillo will be a top 5 SP in the division this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-red ... eady-made/
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:04 am

Puig’s agency fired him over “behavior issues” and the Dodgers seem to know about whatever it was and aren’t taking any action. That seems odd.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm

https://deadspin.com/reports-mlbpa-star ... 1822822588

As the time for pitchers and catchers to report draws closer, it’s looking more and more likely that unsigned free agents will host a spring training camp of their own.

With many top players still on the market and camps set to open next week, there had already been a few reports that a free-agents-only spring training might happen. The most comprehensive one yet came tonight from Tim Brown at Yahoo. The union is looking at potential spaces in Florida and Arizona and talking to coaches and other personnel, the report states.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://deadspin.com/reports-mlbpa-starting-plans-to-host-spring-training-f-1822822588

As the time for pitchers and catchers to report draws closer, it’s looking more and more likely that unsigned free agents will host a spring training camp of their own.

With many top players still on the market and camps set to open next week, there had already been a few reports that a free-agents-only spring training might happen. The most comprehensive one yet came tonight from Tim Brown at Yahoo. The union is looking at potential spaces in Florida and Arizona and talking to coaches and other personnel, the report states.

Odds that Jake is the one that says he'd rather stay home?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I bet all the decent FA are staying home. This is probably for fringe guys. This is all so dumb. Martinez has 5/125 on the table and Darvish has multiple 5 year, 9 figure deals and is holding up the whole pitching market. I have a real hard time feeling bad for the players or taking their side here.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://deadspin.com/reports-mlbpa-starting-plans-to-host-spring-training-f-1822822588

This feels...obnoxious
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”