General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Banedon
Curse You!

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue May 15, 2018 7:43 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

yeeeeeeesh. mariners have to be estatic if this can somehow get them out of that contract

0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Banedon wrote:

yeeeeeeesh. mariners have to be estatic if this can somehow get them out of that contract

That's an expensive bag of joint drugs
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm

I wonder if this knocks him out of the Hall. Barring a Pujolsian collapse he was getting in, but now I could see him languishing in Sosa/McGwire territory.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm

1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

3 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 am

Just so I'm on record somewhere with it:

All of the players we've traded away that everyone has been freaking out about... they all suck.

Jorge is living off of a .400 BABIP. He's a bad base runner and a horrible defender. His BB/K rate is a little out of whack. He's not seeing many pitches at all in the zone, despite not actually being that imposing. His Contact% is still 67%. Straighten out those things and his BABIP and let his defensive metrics take hold, and he's back to being a below-average player.

Gleyber is rocking a 6.4% BB% and 24.1% K%. He's also living off a .400 BABIP. His plate discipline numbers look kinda gross. He swings at too much junk and doesn't make enough contact. And he doesn't have enough power to make up for it. He's just an average-ish to slightly above-average regular.

Christian Villanueva has already went back to sucking, like the rest of them soon will.

Eloy is Jorge 2.0.

Jeimer Candelario's numbers actually look pretty legit. He's not living off a ridiculous BABIP and his plate discipline numbers look solid. But I don't think he's a .224 ISO guy, either. He doesn't hit the ball that hard. (None of these guys are putting up huge exit velocity numbers.) He's probably just an average-ish player, too.
2 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 am

I wouldn't say anybody has been freaking out about them, as in lamenting their loss; more of just keeping tabs on them. Soler is brutal in the field, we all know if he doesn't mash he's totally useless. Villanueva and Candelario never had a possible place on the Cubs roster but it doesn't help matters that Wilson completely fell apart after the trade, so people are going to be a little extra upset if Candelario pans out long-term. Nobody felt anything about CV as a Cub and the injury forced our hand anyway.

I doubt anybody expected their early success to sustain but they showed more than most people thought they had in store.

It bugs the horsefeathers out of me when people bitch about Gleyber's success. That trade was imperative. The bullpen sucked. It was either him or Schwarber for Miller and we lose an integral part of our WS. People bitch more because Russell has scuffled some but those people are still idiots in my eyes. I never liked Gleyber anyway.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

The only trade that bothers me is Q for Eloy/Cease. Theo & Co overvalued Q’s contract. Who else would they have traded for instead? Idk...the only one that jumps at me is Cole. I think Eloy will be much better than Soler.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

d_money wrote:The only trade that bothers me is Q for Eloy/Cease. Theo & Co overvalued Q’s contract. Who else would they have traded for instead? Idk...the only one that jumps at me is Cole. I think Eloy will be much better than Soler.

We needed 3 pitchers between last year and the offseason so Eloy was good as gone, imo. Q was a better target than Cole for a lot of reasons and was available last year, Cole maybe wasn’t and who knows if the Pirates deal with us. Then nobody else has been traded, Stroman’s shoulder is toast, Archer has a 6+ ERA and I’ve never really liked him, who else was reasonably available? Sure would’ve been great to jump in on Sale but the timing might not of been there and maybe they don’t trade him to us.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed May 16, 2018 1:42 pm

I’m bummed to see Stroman struggle. Hopefully Smyly gives us a good push in the second half.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
d_money wrote:The only trade that bothers me is Q for Eloy/Cease. Theo & Co overvalued Q’s contract. Who else would they have traded for instead? Idk...the only one that jumps at me is Cole. I think Eloy will be much better than Soler.

We needed 3 pitchers between last year and the offseason so Eloy was good as gone, imo. Q was a better target than Cole for a lot of reasons and was available last year, Cole maybe wasn’t and who knows if the Pirates deal with us. Then nobody else has been traded, Stroman’s shoulder is toast, Archer has a 6+ ERA and I’ve never really liked him, who else was reasonably available? Sure would’ve been great to jump in on Sale but the timing might not of been there and maybe they don’t trade him to us.

Verlander.
0 x
Spoiler: show

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah, Verlander is the one that got away. I think he wanted to be a Cub too.

He may have become available after the Q trade but it still would have been nice to get him. Dude has been a monster for the Astros.
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Banedon wrote:

I always thought that if you were busted for roids while on the DL, you had to recover from the injury, be reactivated, and then begin your suspension. I thought they had lost him for however long the injury takes to heal + 80 games. Or maybe thats just how i think it oughta work, but man thats a big blow for the Ms.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Enn Tea wrote:I always thought that if you were busted for roids while on the DL, you had to recover from the injury, be reactivated, and then begin your suspension. I thought they had lost him for however long the injury takes to heal + 80 games. Or maybe thats just how i think it oughta work, but man thats a big blow for the Ms.

If that were the case, there’d be nothing stopping teams from saying, “He’s healthy now,” regardless of his real injury status and starting the suspension clock then. At least this way teams aren’t encouraged to lie.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm

The_Achiever wrote:Yeah, Verlander is the one that got away. I think he wanted to be a Cub too.

He may have become available after the Q trade but it still would have been nice to get him. Dude has been a monster for the Astros.

IIRC, the SI piece about the Verlander trade specifically mentions that he was basically waiting out the Cubs to waive his NTC until Houston swooped in out of nowhere.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed May 16, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm on record for not liking that trade here. It was a lonely hill.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:

I'm on record for not liking that trade here. It was a lonely hill.

I don't think I spoke up much at the time, because I didn't have much to add to the conversation. I didn't like how much we gave up, but considered it the cost of doing business. Q brought a stability to the rotation that makes this continue to be a desirable destination for players.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 pm

i wonder how many people could guess baseball's leader in WAR during the last calendar year, within maybe 5 tries

hint:
in that timeframe, 3rd lowest K% & 6th highest ISO
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm

sneakypower wrote:i wonder how many people could guess baseball's leader in WAR during the last calendar year, within maybe 5 tries

hint:
in that timeframe, 3rd lowest K% & 6th highest ISO

Pham?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Pham?

also i should specify hitter WAR, otherwise Sale is tops
Last edited by sneakypower on Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm

jose ramirez?
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:jose ramirez?

yeah it's Ugly Jose, i knew he was *good* but seeing his production for like the last year + completely knocked my socks off

at AA, he hit 3 HR in 113 G
Lindor hit 7 in 109 G

they've each hit 36 in the last year
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm

sneakypower wrote:

yeah it's Ugly Jose, i knew he was *good* but seeing his production for like the last year + completely knocked my socks off

Lindor hit 7 in 109 G

i only guessed right because i looked at the leaderboard the other day and was shocked to see him so high. I thought he was struggling to start the year off but it looks like he got it together
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 pm

I still have a hard time grasping that a guy who looks like next-gen Juan Uribe is that good at the plate.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:52 pm

sneakypower wrote:

Lindor hit 7 in 109 G

Maybe they’ll win a World Series one day with all that talent
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”