General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27041
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 35
x 3608
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm

taking the Cubs out of the equation (which they will probably do to themselves tonight. Where do you rank the playoff teams in terms of who you want to win?

I think i'm at this right now, 1 is solid but the rest can move a couple slots either way

1. A's - i think this one is probably pretty universal here
2. Red Sox - they are the hope for what happens when freed from Chili
3. Indians - meh, let them end their drought
4. Yankees - I don't get worked up about the Yankees, they've won one title in the last 18 years and they dong the hell out of the ball, that's fun
5. Astros - I'm curious if I'm the only one that prefers any AL over any non Cubs NL team winning? Only reason they're here
6. Rockies - just want the bottom 3 to win less than them
7. Braves - no great reason, just don't want them to win
8. Dodgers - f 'em
9. Brewers - f 'em more
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58865
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2386
x 8061

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Brian wrote:taking the Cubs out of the equation (which they will probably do to themselves tonight. Where do you rank the playoff teams in terms of who you want to win?

I think i'm at this right now, 1 is solid but the rest can move a couple slots either way

1. A's - i think this one is probably pretty universal here
2. Red Sox - they are the hope for what happens when freed from Chili
3. Indians - meh, let them end their drought
4. Yankees - I don't get worked up about the Yankees, they've won one title in the last 18 years and they dong the hell out of the ball, that's fun
5. Astros - I'm curious if I'm the only one that prefers any AL over any non Cubs NL team winning? Only reason they're here
6. Rockies - just want the bottom 3 to win less than them
7. Braves - no great reason, just don't want them to win
8. Dodgers - f 'em
9. Brewers - f 'em more


You are weird.

1. A's
2. Indians
3. Rockies
4. Nobody
5. Nobody
6. Nobody
7. Nobody
8. Nobody
9. Nobody
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7999
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: The River
x 8
x 116

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby sweetpeteman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:33 pm

A's
Rockies
Indians
Barves


Red Sox


Stros


Yankees






Dodgers


Death




Brewers
0 x

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Centralia, IL
x 414
x 95

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby abmillis » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm

1-5: Pick any order, I don't care
6: Yankees
7: Astros
8: Dodgers
9: The world ends/Trump declares baseball illegal/a series of sinkholes swallow every baseball stadium
10: Brewers
0 x

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13187
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 397
x 208

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Rob wrote:A partial list of players Mike Trout passed this season the career fWAR leaderboard:

Jim Edmonds
Alan Trammell
Yogi Berra
Mike Piazza
Roberto Alomar
Duke Snider
Ernie Banks
Chase Utley
Willie Stargell
Kenny Lofton
Joe Torre
Gary Sheffield
Dick Allen
Pee Wee Reese
Darrell Evans
Hank Greenberg
Ryne Sandberg
Joe Jackson
Billy Williams
Sammy Sosa
Dave Winfield
Bobby Abreu
Andre Dawson
Keith Hernandez
Tony Perez
Ichiro Suzuki
Jackie Robinson
Fred McGriff
Robin Ventura
Jeff Kent
Lance Berkman
Todd Helton

His career 64.7 fWAR ranks him 89th of all time on total career value. He's officially entering the part of the list where there are more HOF players than not. He's still just 27 years old.


i love these lists every year


Next year's is likely to be a doozy. He's within 5 fWAR of:

Jim Thome
Ivan Rodriguez
Larry Walker
Carlos Beltran
Paul Molitor
Ozzie Smith
Willie McCovey
Barry Larkin
Robin Yount
Manny Ramirez
Tim Raines
Mark McGwire
Harmon Killebrew
Edgar Martinez
Tony Gwynn


And he's within 10 fWAR of:

Derek Jeter
Reggie Jackson
Rod Carew
Frank Thomas
Eddie Murray
Ron Santo
Miguel Cabrera
Rafael Palmeiro
Scott Rolen



His 64.7 fWAR currently ranks him 5th among active players, behind only:

Albert Pujols - 88.2
Adrian Beltre - 84.0
Miguel Cabrera - 70.7
CC Sabathia - 67.8

None of those guys look to be contributors for much longer. So he's likely to take over as the active leader within the next few years unless he falls off pace and Justin Verlander (63.6) or Clayton Kershaw (61.6) can pitch like an ace for a few more years.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31684
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 556

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Brian wrote:taking the Cubs out of the equation (which they will probably do to themselves tonight. Where do you rank the playoff teams in terms of who you want to win?

I think i'm at this right now, 1 is solid but the rest can move a couple slots either way

1. A's - i think this one is probably pretty universal here
2. Red Sox - they are the hope for what happens when freed from Chili
3. Indians - meh, let them end their drought
4. Yankees - I don't get worked up about the Yankees, they've won one title in the last 18 years and they dong the hell out of the ball, that's fun
5. Astros - I'm curious if I'm the only one that prefers any AL over any non Cubs NL team winning? Only reason they're here
6. Rockies - just want the bottom 3 to win less than them
7. Braves - no great reason, just don't want them to win
8. Dodgers - f 'em
9. Brewers - f 'em more

I have Cleveland #1 and Oakland #2 easily. Atlanta would probably be third (fun young team), or maybe Colorado.

I don't hate Milwaukee nearly as much as most of you. I don't want them to win but it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably have them fifth with Boston and the Yankees 6 and 7, order irrelevant.

Houston's dead last purely out of spite. LA second to last.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6813
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 117
x 1913

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:32 pm

It'd be cool if the A's won it all. That's it. Fire the rest of those [expletive] into the sun for all I care.
0 x

User avatar
Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO
x 1177
x 538

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammys Boombox » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

1. A’s
2. Indians
3. Rockies
4. Brewers
5. Dodgers
6. Braves
7. Red Sox
8. Yankees
9. Astros
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 pm

The Indians don't deserve horsefeathers as long as they're rocking Wahoo officially.

The whole loathing the Dodgers thing never clicked with me, plus I wanna see WS-celebrating Puig unleashed on the world, so they're my #2 after the A's.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The Indians don't deserve horsefeathers as long as they're rocking Wahoo officially.

The whole loathing the Dodgers thing never clicked with me, plus I wanna see WS-celebrating Puig unleashed on the world, so they're my #2 after the A's.


you absolute madman
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Astros are #3, because they're basically the cooler, sexier, (better) Mirror Universe version of the Cubs.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The Indians don't deserve horsefeathers as long as they're rocking Wahoo officially.

The whole loathing the Dodgers thing never clicked with me, plus I wanna see WS-celebrating Puig unleashed on the world, so they're my #2 after the A's.


you absolute madman


I WANTED to hate them. But they didn't and don't have nearly enough hatable players for my liking. They're either super forgettable or actually kinda cool dudes. Plus their parking lot is Jets vs. Sharks, except with real knives. Larry King's usually lurking in the front row like some kind of good luck ghoul...plus I'm never gonna fault a team for spending F.U. money.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 237
x 797

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The Indians don't deserve horsefeathers as long as they're rocking Wahoo officially.

The whole loathing the Dodgers thing never clicked with me, plus I wanna see WS-celebrating Puig unleashed on the world, so they're my #2 after the A's.


you absolute madman


I WANTED to hate them. But they didn't and don't have nearly enough hatable players for my liking. They're either super forgettable or actually kinda cool dudes. Plus their parking lot is Jets vs. Sharks, except with real knives. Larry King's usually lurking in the front row like some kind of good luck ghoul...plus I'm never gonna fault a team for spending F.U. money.


The fact that they generate [expletive] players (Chris Taylor and MAX MUNCY) almost every year on top of their current situation gets my hate juices flowing
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Hey, then the Cubs need to figure out how to make their own Botes last more than 2 weeks.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The Indians don't deserve horsefeathers as long as they're rocking Wahoo officially.

The whole loathing the Dodgers thing never clicked with me, plus I wanna see WS-celebrating Puig unleashed on the world, so they're my #2 after the A's.


you absolute madman


I WANTED to hate them. But they didn't and don't have nearly enough hatable players for my liking. They're either super forgettable or actually kinda cool dudes. Plus their parking lot is Jets vs. Sharks, except with real knives. Larry King's usually lurking in the front row like some kind of good luck ghoul...plus I'm never gonna fault a team for spending F.U. money.


while just now looking at their fangraphs page to determine if i had reasons to hate their top 10 batters (I succeeded) I learned that Slur Hernandez hit 21 bombs this year
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 pm

I just took a quick look at BR's top 12 Dodgers, and it's mostly a parade of forgettable, interchangeable dudes, with cool guys like Puig and Kershaw and Machado mixed in, plus Gritty.

I just can't muster the effort to hate such a generic team.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22799
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5841
x 4391

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I just took a quick look at BR's top 12 Dodgers, and it's mostly a parade of forgettable, interchangeable dudes, with cool guys like Puig and Kershaw and Machado mixed in, plus Gritty.

I just can't muster the effort to hate such a generic team.

You should hate Muncy, Peterson, Hernandez and Taylor with all your heart. horsefeathers those guys
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm

They're all the same guy, minus the one that played guitar for Dr. Teeth.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I just took a quick look at BR's top 12 Dodgers, and it's mostly a parade of forgettable, interchangeable dudes, with cool guys like Puig and Kershaw and Machado mixed in, plus Gritty.

I just can't muster the effort to hate such a generic team.

You should hate Muncy, Peterson, Hernandez and Taylor with all your heart. horsefeathers those guys


yeah exactly. max muncy was worth essentially the same WAR as Baez this year. if that's ok with you you can absolutely funk off
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:26 pm

But Max Muncy is such a great baseball name. Why am I hating him besides, "it's annoying he plays on another team that my team rarely plays?"
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22799
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5841
x 4391

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:But Max Muncy is such a great baseball name. Why am I hating him besides, "it's annoying he plays on another team that my team rarely plays?"

Because they are still one of our rivals in this window and finding that 28 year old fat horsefeathers off the scrap heap and him being one of the best hitters in MLB is ridiculous. Just like Taylor last year. Hernandez is just annoying and Pederson looks like one of Phillip Rivers 30 sons.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77524
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9756
x 12893

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Meh; so long as it's not the Cardinals doing it, I'm good.

If the Cubs wanna figure out how to make fat scrap heap guys work, I'm all for it.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33922
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 776
x 5393

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Puig is a butthole and (probably) doinked your mom
0 x
Image

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 289
x 319

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Meh; so long as it's not the Cardinals doing it, I'm good.

If the Cubs wanna figure out how to make fat scrap heap guys work, I'm all for it.


fat scrap heap guys, acquired:

Daniel Murphy
Brandon Kintzler
Jorge de la Rosa

at least de la Rosa has been good, if not extremely chubby.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32562
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2235
x 5798
Contact:

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Puig is a butthole and (probably) doinked your mom


However, she liked it.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests