General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Bertz
All-Star

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Bertz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:28 pm

David wrote:i feel like mentioning the 58mph base line like this is more than a little silly considering his arm was in tatters but whatever, here's an article on driveline and kyle zimmer

I feel like "he went to Driveline" is going to be the new "best shape of his life." There are going to be a handful of guys who totally break through each year and you will 100% be able to trace it back to the work put in there, but for every success story there will be like 3-4 dudes who end up being basically the exact same guy once the calendar flips over to April.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 am

i just looked at mookie wilson's career stats (i don't think i ever had) and i had no idea he wasn't very good

reminds me of when i discovered how horsefeathers shawon dunston was
2 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 am

David wrote:reminds me of when i discovered how horsefeathers shawon dunston was

That was almost a dealbreaker for me and my burgeoning understanding of sabermetrics back in the day.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 am

7.4 CAREER fWAR.

NEVER HAD A 2 fWAR SEASON.

WHY GOD WHY.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:reminds me of when i discovered how horsefeathers shawon dunston was

That was almost a dealbreaker for me and my burgeoning understanding of sabermetrics back in the day.

same. i loved shawon and was heartbroken when he went to the giants.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 am

a woman died after being hit by a foul line drive at a dodgers game last year. i haven't seen the replay or where she was, but that shouldn't happen.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:43 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:7.4 CAREER fWAR.

WHY GOD WHY.

he threw hard
2 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 pm

17 Seconds wrote:a woman died after being hit by a foul line drive at a dodgers game last year. i haven't seen the replay or where she was, but that shouldn't happen.

The article I read said the ball was a line drive that went just above the protective netting.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:7.4 CAREER fWAR.

WHY GOD WHY.

he threw hard

Right into our hearts.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:09 am

The NL DH could happen this year. Yes, please

1 x
Screw Pitchers

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:00 am

Cubswin11 wrote:The NL DH could happen this year. Yes, please

I know I'm in the minority, but I still want no part of the DH. It seems strange to me though that they would even be considering such a change less than 2 months from opening day. If and when MLB decides to adopt the DH in the NL, wouldn't it make sense to announce it early in the off-season (or sooner) to give teams a better opportunity to build their rosters? Ultimately, I expect it will be a concession by the owners in the next CBA. There is no pressing reason to do it this year.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:The NL DH could happen this year. Yes, please

I know I'm in the minority, but I still want no part of the DH. It seems strange to me though that they would even be considering such a change less than 2 months from opening day. If and when MLB decides to adopt the DH in the NL, wouldn't it make sense to announce it early in the off-season (or sooner) to give teams a better opportunity to build their rosters? Ultimately, I expect it will be a concession by the owners in the next CBA. There is no pressing reason to do it this year.

They always do this rules stuff this time every year, why idk and it doesn’t make much sense but they do. It’s not like this is a blindsided move, teams probably knew this could or would happen this year. The players largely want this, it could be a bit of an olive branch to them and the union for the last two offseasons. It helps extend careers, protect pitchers, etc.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 am

Cubswin11 wrote:They always do this rules stuff this time every year, why idk and it doesn’t make much sense but they do.

Most rule changes don't impact the roster the same way the DH does.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 am

MLBPA asking for this is dumb. It’s not going to move the needle on budgets. Any extra money going toward a DH will come from some other player.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Theo must have had inside information which is why he said early in the offseason that Schwarber wasn't available.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:MLBPA asking for this is dumb. It’s not going to move the needle on budgets. Any extra money going toward a DH will come from some other player.

It may prolong some careers though.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Theo must have had inside information which is why he said early in the offseason that Schwarber wasn't available.

How soon we forget what a horsefeathering boss schwarber was at throwing runners out last year
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Theo must have had inside information which is why he said early in the offseason that Schwarber wasn't available.

Theo's insider information:

Schwarber is a good baseball player (and passable LF)
6 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:MLBPA asking for this is dumb. It’s not going to move the needle on budgets. Any extra money going toward a DH will come from some other player.

How many? 3.

It's a completely worthless thing for ownership to give up. MLBPA gains nothing with it. It's horrible negotiating to take something like this, since all the PR is going to be about how the owners gave up concessions in advance of talks, making it that much more difficult to "justify" a strike and make some real gains.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

How many? 3.

It's a completely worthless thing for ownership to give up. MLBPA gains nothing with it. It's horrible negotiating to take something like this, since all the PR is going to be about how the owners gave up concessions in advance of talks, making it that much more difficult to "justify" a strike and make some real gains.

It's a January rule change that Manfred himself mentioned was gaining ownership support last summer. It's a net positive for the game, probably a mild improvement to players by making a few FA more palatable and capturing a few arbitration dollars with the extra PA, not doing it just because you're worried about how it impacts the optics of a strike when the bad faith from owners is so visible and obvious would be silly. It's not like they can overhaul service time or the luxury tax with these pre-season rule tweaks.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

How many? 3.

It's a January rule change that Manfred himself mentioned was gaining ownership support last summer. It's a net positive for the game, probably a mild improvement to players by making a few FA more palatable and capturing a few arbitration dollars with the extra PA, not doing it just because you're worried about how it impacts the optics of a strike when the bad faith from owners is so visible and obvious would be silly. It's not like they can overhaul service time or the luxury tax with these pre-season rule tweaks.

It has been framed in a way that this is an ownership concession to players. And that's bad. I didn't say they shouldn't agree to it happening. I said asking for it is dumb.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Also: it makes the Cubs not signing Harper even more inexcusable.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:How many? 3.

It has been framed in a way that this is an ownership concession to players. And that's bad. I didn't say they shouldn't agree to it happening. I said asking for it is dumb.

Intuatively it doesn't make sense for players to limit their demands, so is your stance that they are focusing on that demand in lieu of more impactful demands?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:49 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Intuatively it doesn't make sense for players to limit their demands, so is your stance that they are focusing on that demand in lieu of more impactful demands?

I'm saying it's a stupid ask for the MLBPA. It does nothing good for the MLBPA. It will help a handful of players play more often, but it will not be a net positive for the entirety of the players association. Owners framing it as a concession is good PR for owners.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Players would be far better off asking for something like a 26 man roster instead of "asking" for the dh.

They'd be best off asking for more fundamental changes that have been discussed here before (years of control, early salary process, etc.).
0 x
Spoiler: show

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”