General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
The Logan
Superstar

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby The Logan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 am

David wrote:baseball had a salary cap?

Well now it's been so long I'm questioning my own knowledge. Didn't they have a salary cap back in the 90's? I'm losing it.

Either way, point still stands.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 am

The Logan wrote:

Well now it's been so long I'm questioning my own knowledge. Didn't they have a salary cap back in the 90's? I'm losing it.

it was the 80s and they called it collusion
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:59 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
The Logan wrote:

it was the 80s and they called it collusion

Andre Dawson called it bullcrap.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Jenrry Mejia banned for life from MLB for his 3rd positive PED test, he was suspended almost all of last year for his 2nd positive test.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

KrisBryantisaBeast
All-Star

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Jenrry Mejia banned for life from MLB for his 3rd positive PED test, he was suspended almost all of last year for his 2nd positive test.

This guy deserves an award for his stupidity. Hmm what is the better route earn 2.5 million dollars this year alone playing baseball drug free or get suspended for life. Looks like he made the right decision. :lol:
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:03 am

He didn't even try anything new and improved...

Mejia, 26, apparently had an old-fashioned approach to drug cheating. In each case, he was caught using anabolic steroids, substances that have long been easy to detect in a urine sample. Two of his positive tests involved boldenone, a steroid that has been used in horse racing.

I suppose there's always Japan, unless they refuse to take players like him.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:04 am

MLBTR wrote:22-year-old righty Shohei Otani, a standout in Japan’s NPB, has been drawing plenty of attention lately as his Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters train in Arizona. It’s not hard to see why, as the power righty is coming off of a season in which he put up a 2.24 ERA over 160 2/3 innings, with 11.0 K/9 against 2.6 BB/9. Otani, who is also a productive hitter, says he’s always dreamed of playing in the majors, as MLB.com’s Barry Bloom writes. But it’s not yet clear when that chance will arise. As Eric Longenhagen explains for ESPN.com, his current team has little incentive to post him now, given that it is capped at $20MM regardless of when it does so. But he does add that some believe the Fighters would allow him to depart if a request was made. If and when that occurs, you can expect a bidding frenzy unlike many others. As Ben Badler of Baseball America puts it on Twitter, he rates Otani higher than any pitching prospects currently in MLB organizations.
0 x

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:49 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Whut.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:04 pm

I totally agree with Cliff. It doesn't take a genius to realize that they will be better than last year.

Jesus horsefeathering Christ.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:33 pm

for some reason i watched the dusty baker thing on mlb network and this stupid horsefeathering charlatan still pisses me off
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:09 am

god, i've never wanted the cardinals to suck as badly as i want them to suck this season.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:17 pm

17 Seconds wrote:god, i've never wanted the cardinals to suck as badly as i want them to suck this season.

I want them to miss the playoffs by one game, losing game 162 in the most heartbreaking way possible
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:god, i've never wanted the cardinals to suck as badly as i want them to suck this season.

I want them to miss the playoffs by one game, losing game 162 in the most heartbreaking way possible

Screw that, I want them too lose 100. They won't, but I want them to lose as much as possible.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 pm

MLBTR wrote:Could the Angels trade Mike Trout? It’s a far-fetched notion at the moment, though ESPN’s Keith Law off-handedly raised the subject in his recent farm system rankings when he opined that Anaheim might have to consider dealing Trout unless it drafts some good prospects for its beleaguered farm system. Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register doesn’t think a Trout deal is anywhere near the Halos’ radar screen right now, though if the 2016 season is a disappointment, the Angels may indeed have to unload some Major League talent to get younger. Even if this scenario happens, however, Garrett Richards or Kole Calhoun are more likely to be shopped than Trout. Four of five executives and scouts polled by John Perrotto of Today’s Knuckleball wouldn’t trade Trout, and the fifth would only do so for a big package of MLB-ready talent and elite prospects.

Trout aside, Richards is a really good pitcher with no major arm injuries in his past. He has some of the best stuff in the league in his fastball/slider/curveball. If he became available, I would hope the Cubs are in. Not a FA until after the 2018 season.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 pm

Derwood wrote:

Like having a 3 run lead in the 8th and giving up 8 runs with their ace on the mound?

/burn
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
MLBTR wrote:Could the Angels trade Mike Trout? It’s a far-fetched notion at the moment, though ESPN’s Keith Law off-handedly raised the subject in his recent farm system rankings when he opined that Anaheim might have to consider dealing Trout unless it drafts some good prospects for its beleaguered farm system. Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register doesn’t think a Trout deal is anywhere near the Halos’ radar screen right now, though if the 2016 season is a disappointment, the Angels may indeed have to unload some Major League talent to get younger. Even if this scenario happens, however, Garrett Richards or Kole Calhoun are more likely to be shopped than Trout. Four of five executives and scouts polled by John Perrotto of Today’s Knuckleball wouldn’t trade Trout, and the fifth would only do so for a big package of MLB-ready talent and elite prospects.

Trout aside, Richards is a really good pitcher with no major arm injuries in his past. He has some of the best stuff in the league in his fastball/slider/curveball. If he became available, I would hope the Cubs are in. Not a FA until after the 2018 season.

FFS, Law.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Not really sure where to put it, but it was just pointed out how there is pretty much going to be no big-name rental pitchers at the deadline this year. Maybe Cashner, and everything after that is pretty putrid.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:41 pm

RammyFanny wrote:Not really sure where to put it, but it was just pointed out how there is pretty much going to be no big-name rental pitchers at the deadline this year. Maybe Cashner, and everything after that is pretty putrid.

Hamels?

EDIT - For some reason, I thought he had a year and a half left when he got traded.

The crappy FA class for next year is part of the reason Theo went so hard this year.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:17 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14786 ... -offseason

8 MLB executives think Jason Heyward was the worst free-agent signing of the off-season. 13 think his was the most outrageous contract of the off-season. Both were the second-highest vote total.

I'm pretty glad our executives aren't in that camp. And, moreover, I'm glad they get to compete against the people that are in that camp.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I wonder how much of that reaction is 'TWO opt outs!?!?!' v. the actual duration/AAV.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Duke Silver wrote:http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14786897/best-worst-mlb-offseason

8 MLB executives think Jason Heyward was the worst free-agent signing of the off-season. 13 think his was the most outrageous contract of the off-season. Both were the second-highest vote total.

I'm pretty glad our executives aren't in that camp. And, moreover, I'm glad they get to compete against the people that are in that camp.

As one NL exec said in reviewing this deal, "I just don't see it. I just don't see seven years for guys like that. Nice player, but not that kind of player."

Even if an MLB exec doesn't like Heyward, it's funny when an NL Exec doesn't understand how unlikely it is that the Cubs have Heyward for 7 years.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I wonder how much of that reaction is 'TWO opt outs!?!?!' v. the actual duration/AAV.

I bet that's part of it, but I also think most of the votes came from the old guard way of thinking "how do you pay a guy that much who's a career .268 hitter, never had over 100 RBIs and only hit over 20 HRs once" on top of a lot of guys inability to comprehend this offseason that a great defensive RF can't somehow shift to CF and at least be an above average CF.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Banedon wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14786897/best-worst-mlb-offseason

As one NL exec said in reviewing this deal, "I just don't see it. I just don't see seven years for guys like that. Nice player, but not that kind of player."

Even if an MLB exec doesn't like Heyward, it's funny when an NL Exec doesn't understand how unlikely it is that the Cubs have Heyward for 7 years.

Well, they do on the downside end of the deal, so if he thinks Heyward isn't that good, he probably doesn't think it's at all out of the question that he doesn't opt out and you're stuck with a bad player for 7 years.

Which is to say, for anyone who thought otherwise, there are still plenty of dumbass execs in baseball.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 pm

whatever secret super special steroids yielded the bryce harper pic last year and this pic of reed johnson, we need to get some of them too

0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”