#NotAllPitchers

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Re: #NotAllPitchers

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:ANOTHER ONE, [expletive] them all, I never want to give any really assets other than money for them

Money is a more legit asset than the vast majority of prospects tho.

I wouldn't touch Matz or most of these guys with a 10 foot pole in future FA, and wanted to steer clear of Strasburg, but so long as Cole avoids the knife I look forward to his FA. Not as much as I look forward to backing up trucks of money on Otani, but in the tier below.
0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Honestly, if I were GM, Otani could have anything, ANYTHING, he wanted if that's what it took for him to sign with the Cubs.

$35 million/year? No problem.

Your own personal catcher? You got it.

Every girl's number in Javy and Russell and Rizzo's phone? Have at it.

A mansion across the street from wrigley? We'll start comstruction today.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:29 am

Jacob deGrom has elbow tendinitis and forearm soreness but no structural damage. Will miss at least one start.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:08 am

stras down, again
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:50 am

17 Seconds wrote:stras down, again

really does not sound promising.

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:09 am

Good thing they punted that one season to save his arm
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 am

I didn't realize Strasburg was starting that game, but I did see it started with a delay. Did they really let Strasburg make a start off the DL in a game that was delayed that he presumably had to of warmed up for then sat down then re-warmed up for?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:33 am

[quote="Derwood"]Good thing they punted that one season to save his arm[/quote]
Number of playoff wins since that idiotic decision gifted STL a series win: 0

I don't root against them or anything, but I'm not shedding tears for them either.
Last edited by Andy on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:43 am

Derwood wrote:Good thing they punted that one season to save his arm

still the right call
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:51 am

17 Seconds wrote:

still the right call

we'll never know, but so far, that move has netted them zero playoff series wins
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 am

Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

still the right call

we'll never know, but so far, that move has netted them zero playoff series wins

they probably wouldn't have won it with him either, and maybe then they wouldn't have gotten the 670 great innings he's given them since. debating in hindsight is pointless, though.

i understand that every chance to win is sacred, and it's hard to expect young pitchers to stay healthy anyways, but i thought it was a pretty easy decision at the time. if the innings limit was important enough to set before the season, then it probably wasn't worth breaking just to marginally improve a single chance at the crapshoot.

then again, i'm not a doctor, and i really have no idea wtf i'm talking about.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 am

According to reports, he threw a pitch, winced and tucked his arm to his chest, threw another pitch, winced again, then threw the last pitch. Unbelievable.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I didn't realize Strasburg was starting that game, but I did see it started with a delay. Did they really let Strasburg make a start off the DL in a game that was delayed that he presumably had to of warmed up for then sat down then re-warmed up for?

Are you really surprised that Dusty would do that?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Banedon wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I didn't realize Strasburg was starting that game, but I did see it started with a delay. Did they really let Strasburg make a start off the DL in a game that was delayed that he presumably had to of warmed up for then sat down then re-warmed up for?

Are you really surprised that Dusty would do that?

Dusty? No, but I'd think the trainer, pitching coach, FO, Strasburg or someone would say he isn't going to go after a delay. Especially in September when they presumably have plenty of spot start options.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

still the right call

I thought it was dumb to shut him down completely like they did, as opposed to moving him to the bullpen a month before the shutdown to limit his innings (and then having him in the bullpen for the playoffs) or limiting his innings earlier in the season so that he would be available in October. Or simply skipping some starts in June/July/August. Limiting his workload was the right call, just seems they could have planned it better. Completely shutting down your best pitcher going into the playoffs in hopes that he might be available if you happen to make the playoffs again in the future seems like a move that's very rarely ever going to pan out in your favor.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Enn Tea wrote:
Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
still the right call

I thought it was dumb to shut him down completely like they did, as opposed to moving him to the bullpen a month before the shutdown to limit his innings (and then having him in the bullpen for the playoffs) or limiting his innings earlier in the season so that he would be available in October. Or simply skipping some starts in June/July/August. Limiting his workload was the right call, just seems they could have planned it better. Completely shutting down your best pitcher going into the playoffs in hopes that he might be available if you happen to make the playoffs again in the future seems like a move that's very rarely ever going to pan out in your favor.

This.

See what Toronto is doing to manage Aaron Sanchez this year as a good example of what I'd have done with Strasburg that year.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 pm

17 Seconds wrote:
Derwood wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
still the right call

they probably wouldn't have won it with him either, and maybe then they wouldn't have gotten the 670 great innings he's given them since. debating in hindsight is pointless, though.

Didnt they go 5 five games with the Cardinals in the divisional series? Strasburg could very easily put them past the Cards & in the NLCS.

I feel like they could have spread his innings out, went to a 6 man rotation... something..
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Didnt they go 5 five games with the Cardinals in the divisional series? Strasburg could very easily put them past the Cards & in the NLCS.

i said they probably wouldn't have won, not that they couldn't have
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Tim wrote:
Enn Tea wrote:
Derwood wrote:

This.

See what Toronto is doing to manage Aaron Sanchez this year as a good example of what I'd have done with Strasburg that year.

Yep. The idea of limiting his innings was fine. It was how they went about doing it that was poor.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:13 pm

deGrom likely out for rest of the season. I'm glad we didn't do any of those fabled trades with the Mets for their pitchers.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:32 pm

it's amazing how they're dropping like flies after all of the horsefeathers rebuilding around (or trading bats for) starting pitchers arguments
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:44 pm

CubInOK wrote:deGrom likely out for rest of the season. I'm glad we didn't do any of those fabled trades with the Mets for their pitchers.

He was supposed to start tomorrow for the first time since 9/1. Had a good bullpen but felt pain afterwards while throwing a ball back into the infield while shagging flyballs.

Sounds like an injury that was going to happen soon, no matter what.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:47 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubInOK wrote:deGrom likely out for rest of the season. I'm glad we didn't do any of those fabled trades with the Mets for their pitchers.

He was supposed to start today for the first time since 9/1. Had a good bullpen but felt pain afterwards while throwing a ball back into the infield while shagging flyballs.

Sounds like an injury that was going to happen soon, no matter what.

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 pm

To be fair, most of them involved trading Castro, who we didn't really get anything out of anyway.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”