Minor League Musings

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/cubprospects/status/1357441270063497218?s=19

Setting aside the musical choice for a moment...:shock:

I'll give em the benefit of the doubt and offer that maybe the song was a change-up joke?

"It seems you're having some trouble
In dealing with these changes
Living with these changes (oh no)
The world is a scary place
Now that you've woken up the demon in me."
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:58 pm

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:25 am

This is fun, Davis is gonna be a stud. I think he’s Jayson Werth with elite defense. That finish on the swing is a mirror image.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:53 am

Prospects around baseball who made their ML debut in 2020 despite never playing in the upper minors:

Garrett Crochet - No minors at all
Brailyn Marquez
Alejandro Kirk
Luis Campusano
Kris Bubic
Ryan Weathers - During the playoffs!
Sam Huff
Estevan Florial
Braxton Garrett (1 IP in AA during 2019)
Seth Romero

Minimal upper minors and/or MiL experience:

Trevor Rogers (26 AA innings in 2019)
Nico Hoerner (294 of 375 MiL PAs in AA, drafted 2018)
Casey Mize (78 AA innings, drafted 2018)
Shane McClanahan (18 AA innings, drafted 2018, during the playoffs!)
Joey Bart (87 AA PAs, drafted 2018)
Alec Bohm (270 AA PAs, drafted 2018)
William Conteras (209 AA PAs at 21)
Nick Madrigal (drafted 2018)
Tarik Skubal (drafted 2018, 42 AA innings)
Clark Schmidt (19 AA innings)

There's also Triston McKenzie's strong debut off so much missed time, Nate Pearson throwing 98 of his 141 pro innings between AA, AAA, and the MLs..Leodys Taveras took 293 PAs at AA, debuted with power...The Nationals debuted 21 YO SS Luis Garcia off a .617 AA OPS in 2019...another 2018 first rounder in Brady Singer led rookie SPs in a bunch of stuff...
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 am

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:35 am

Almost 9 minutes from the Cubs' DR academy for reasons

Andrickson Salvador is the only person ID'd, fwiw he was probably the best pitching prospect in 2019 on either DSL roster
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:44 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1361009198641926145?s=20

Keith you got people worked up by repeatedly comparing his lack of power to Juan Pierre, then tried to whitewash it with this generic 'guess I was right your team's prospect wasn't a star' schtick when he doubled that level of IsoP at every level, including MLB.
3 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 am

I like that it was a thing for him apparently. Szczur's a decade+ pro now
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1361009198641926145?s=20

Keith you got people worked up by repeatedly comparing his lack of power to Juan Pierre, then tried to whitewash it with this generic 'guess I was right your team's prospect wasn't a star' schtick when he doubled that level of IsoP at every level, including MLB.

Law kinda sucks, someone should ask him how Hak Ju Lee is doing
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Law is good IMO, but at this point I wouldn't pay just to read his stuff anymore. Whereas my ESPN Insider subscription was like 90% for him. I'm glad he went to the Athletic and not somewhere else, because I wouldn't have followed him. When he was younger he used to get a lot more first-hand looks at guys, so he would buck the consensus more. Now that he's middle aged (and no longer in AZ) he's not really that guy anymore. Eric Longenhagen's that guy now.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 am

0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:49 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/brodriguez227/status/1361374135256043520?s=21

Benjamin Rodriguez, says "from being in little league together to being teammates".
Is this a different Benjamin Rodriguez from the velocity pitcher? The pitcher is 21, Cristian is supposed to be 16.

Does "from being in little league together to being teammates" make sense if this is pitcher Rodriguez and these guys are 4 years different? Or is there some Age-Gate stuff going on, or what? Heh heh, it's not like I was exactly best buds and in little league together with boys 3-5 years younger or older than me, even if I knew all of my four brothers friends and teammates.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:59 am

Someone has been watching Jake DeGrom, g'luck on that quest
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 am

Thats a pretty nasty pitch!
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:13 pm

3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:00 am

Cubs: Brendon Little, LHP
Little has struggled to maintain the quality of his stuff and throw strikes since the Cubs took him in the first round out of the State JC of Florida (Manatee-Sarasota) in 2017. But that wasn't an issue in instructional league, where his fastball reached 99 mph and his slider hit 87, so Chicago hopes that he has turned a corner.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Cool interview with the director of player development:

https://ivyfutures.com/2021/02/14/insig ... by-basham/

“We’re not really competing against what could have been. We’re competing against the other 30 teams and we’re all in the same situation. And we hope we’ve given our guys the best chance to succeed.”

I feel like we’ve been early adopters of a lot of the technology that now can be used to monitor guys remotely. We really invested in ‘training up’. What we feel is [that we have] the best coaches in the minor leagues, so we can spread out that work amongst a lot of really, really good coaches and it’s not two or three guys trying to keep track of 200. It’s leveraging our entire coaching staff to really have personal relationships with our guys, as much as possible given our circumstances in this time.” Basham said.

“[Concerning high performance] we’re really trying to not be reactive to the baseball calendar but make the calendar work for us and we review this time, whether it’s on the field or off the field as the chance to make gains. And then some guys like having this extended offseason, if you will. It’s going to be a real positive for their career because they’re going to be able to make changes that they otherwise maybe wouldn’t have the time to have that offseason rest and then ramp back up.” Basham said. “They have this extended window where they can gain strength, power, speed, quickness. They can add a pitch, they can work on building strength. They can make some swing adjustments. There are a lot of positives that can come out of this.”
2 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cool interview with the director of player development:

https://ivyfutures.com/2021/02/14/insig ... by-basham/

“We’re not really competing against what could have been. We’re competing against the other 30 teams and we’re all in the same situation. And we hope we’ve given our guys the best chance to succeed.”

I feel like we’ve been early adopters of a lot of the technology that now can be used to monitor guys remotely. We really invested in ‘training up’. What we feel is [that we have] the best coaches in the minor leagues, so we can spread out that work amongst a lot of really, really good coaches and it’s not two or three guys trying to keep track of 200. It’s leveraging our entire coaching staff to really have personal relationships with our guys, as much as possible given our circumstances in this time.” Basham said.

“[Concerning high performance] we’re really trying to not be reactive to the baseball calendar but make the calendar work for us and we review this time, whether it’s on the field or off the field as the chance to make gains. And then some guys like having this extended offseason, if you will. It’s going to be a real positive for their career because they’re going to be able to make changes that they otherwise maybe wouldn’t have the time to have that offseason rest and then ramp back up.” Basham said. “They have this extended window where they can gain strength, power, speed, quickness. They can add a pitch, they can work on building strength. They can make some swing adjustments. There are a lot of positives that can come out of this.”

Thanks for sharing Tom. It was an interesting discussion with Bobby.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Pretty cool that every level (except Iowa) is going to have at least 3 legit guys in both the lineup and the rotation.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:02 pm

Looks like 142 games for AAA and 120 for the other levels
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Looks like 142 games for AAA and 120 for the other levels

Just looked at standings for 2019, South Bend played 135 games, Smokies 139. So 120 games isn't bad at all.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm

https://ivyfutures.com/2021/02/23/quick ... velopment/

Really nice. Some comments on Keegan T, I don't think I've often heard Cubs talk about him. Basham says his slider/cutter and curve have all added power. I am very interested.

Comments on Jensen, he says the new curve can be called a spike curve. Also comments on how nasty and how much movement his 2-seam fastball gets.

Some supporting comments on Andy Weber
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:34 am

The author asked Basham if Jensen's new curve was a spike. Basham kinda said yes, but said that jensen throws everything with so much power that distinguishing spike from normal curve may not be relevant. Either way, it sounds like it's got the hard movement. (And perhaps with that the challenge in throwing it for strikes, I imagine. but that's just me worrying.

Bobby added context and an exciting update about Thompson, “I think we’re really excited about Keegan. He looked really good at the Alt site. He added a lot of power to his slider/cutter and this power curveball. And it just [made the Cubs realize] this is a guy who could always pitch and move the ball around and sort of ‘out think’ hitters. Now he’s added some power swinging stuff.

I like the idea of a control+smarts pitcher perhaps showing up with perhaps legit stuff.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 am

craig wrote:The author asked Basham if Jensen's new curve was a spike. Basham kinda said yes, but said that jensen throws everything with so much power that distinguishing spike from normal curve may not be relevant. Either way, it sounds like it's got the hard movement. (And perhaps with that the challenge in throwing it for strikes, I imagine. but that's just me worrying.

Bobby added context and an exciting update about Thompson, “I think we’re really excited about Keegan. He looked really good at the Alt site. He added a lot of power to his slider/cutter and this power curveball. And it just [made the Cubs realize] this is a guy who could always pitch and move the ball around and sort of ‘out think’ hitters. Now he’s added some power swinging stuff.

I like the idea of a control+smarts pitcher perhaps showing up with perhaps legit stuff.

Thanks for sharing
Re: Jensen
I'll add a bit of context since it was hard to transcribe off a Zoom call. It does sound like it is a spike curve, but I don't think Bobby wanted to get too pinned down the specific grips. It behaves like a power curve as you mentioned. The Cubs really like what it adds to his overall arsenal. The 2-seam still is clearly what the Cubs believe is his best pitch, but his upper 90s velo should work very well with the power curve. I wasn't going to put this in the article, but it definitely felt a bit of hyperbole (dreaming) in three plus-pitches. That's a really high bar to hit. But he could feature multiple plus pitches in isolation (2-seam and maybe slider). If the fourseam and power curve work off each other then those should be average or better pitches. Basham said the changeup is coming along. But in total, the Cubs are high on Jensen and unlike most teams, they believe in the 2-seam/sinker. He will be a fun guy to watch this year.

Re: Thompson
This totally surprised me, but it sounds like something to watch this spring. I've always pegged him as a BOR arm (and I still think he is), but with the backdrop that I didn't think he'd succeed well in relief. If he's showing power breaking stuff, I'm much more encouraged that relief is an option if needed.

Glad you enjoyed the article! I have some other fun discussions coming up.
1 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”