International Free Agency Thread 2017-2018

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2017-2018

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Doesn't look like he'll make it to 7/2/2018.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I'm confused. Why? Is there some info on this guy I'm not seeing?

Or are you thinking of Julio Pablo Martinez, who I agree isn't likely to make it that long?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Damn. Severino and Bae are the only ones I care about now.

Really was hoping for Rosario or Maitan to beef up the farm by the trade deadline.

Same here. I am hoping beyond hope we get the 15 year old, 96MPH guy at this point.

Severino and the Cuban OFer(Martinez) seem likely to wind up with the Yankees. They were mentioned today with them.

I'd take a flyer on Contreras. But using 17-18 money.

I'd like Bae. But, I'm not positive he's in the same position as the rest of these guys. His contract was voided. He may not be a guy we can give the extra 200k to. Not sure if we can use 18-19 money on him yet.

That's disappointing on Severino and Martinez. The Yankees also were linked to two top 20 prospects from the 2017-18 class they had slow played in case they needed funds for Ohtani.

Do you know who those two are? According to MLB.com, SS Ronny Rojas (11th overall) is the only IFA prospect listed with the Yankees being the favorite. (Not doubting your recollection just wondering who it is.)

Of the 6 remaining unsigned top 30 IFAs, only one is reported to be linked to another team. SS Jelfry Marte (3rd overall - released by the Twins because of vision problems) OF Raimfer Salinas (6th overall), C Antonio Cabello (8th overall), SS Osleivis Basabe (24th overall), OF Wildred Patino (25th overall) and Stir Candelario (29th overall linked to the Mariners) are all listed as unsigned by MLB.com.

Obviously, unless some of them choose to wait until the next signing period, the Cubs are out on these guys. And with teams like the Mariners and Angels trading for 2017-18 IFA money (and other teams with money still left to spend), one or both of them (if they don't get Ohtani) will have funds to potentially sign some of them.

EDIT - I guess the Cubs could be in on Marte. I think he was declared a free agent. It all depends on the severity of his vision issues.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 am

davell wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I'm confused. Why? Is there some info on this guy I'm not seeing?

Or are you thinking of Julio Pablo Martinez, who I agree isn't likely to make it that long?

Oh whoops. I confused two 21-year old outfielders with a last name of Martinez.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:25 am

CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:
Same here. I am hoping beyond hope we get the 15 year old, 96MPH guy at this point.

Severino and the Cuban OFer(Martinez) seem likely to wind up with the Yankees. They were mentioned today with them.

I'd take a flyer on Contreras. But using 17-18 money.

I'd like Bae. But, I'm not positive he's in the same position as the rest of these guys. His contract was voided. He may not be a guy we can give the extra 200k to. Not sure if we can use 18-19 money on him yet.

That's disappointing on Severino and Martinez. The Yankees also were linked to two top 20 prospects from the 2017-18 class they had slow played in case they needed funds for Ohtani.

Do you know who those two are? According to MLB.com, SS Ronny Rojas (11th overall) is the only IFA prospect listed with the Yankees being the favorite. (Not doubting your recollection just wondering who it is.)

Of the 6 remaining unsigned top 30 IFAs, only one is reported to be linked to another team. SS Jelfry Marte (3rd overall - released by the Twins because of vision problems) OF Raimfer Salinas (6th overall), C Antonio Cabello (8th overall), SS Osleivis Basabe (24th overall), OF Wildred Patino (25th overall) and Stir Candelario (29th overall linked to the Mariners) are all listed as unsigned by MLB.com.

Obviously, unless some of them choose to wait until the next signing period, the Cubs are out on these guys. And with teams like the Mariners and Angels trading for 2017-18 IFA money (and other teams with money still left to spend), one or both of them (if they don't get Ohtani) will have funds to potentially sign some of them.

EDIT - I guess the Cubs could be in on Marte. I think he was declared a free agent. It all depends on the severity of his vision issues.

They've been linked to Salinas and Cabello, though they were considered wild cards even at the start of the signing period. Actually, they're also linked to Basabe but BA has him ranked 48.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

They've been linked to Salinas and Cabello, though they were considered wild cards even at the start of the signing period. Actually, they're also linked to Basabe but BA has him ranked 48.

Thanks, Raisin.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Severino gets 2.5M from the Twins. More than Maitan got. And really putting the Yanks and Mariners on Martinez and Marte.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm

davell wrote:Severino gets 2.5M from the Twins. More than Maitan got. And really putting the Yanks and Mariners on Martinez and Marte.

That makes sense for the Twins given they couldn't resign Marte without putting him on their 40-man. Take part of the Marte money and get Severino.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I wonder if, given the extreme restrictions the Braves face over the next 3 years in signing IFAs, they would value players like Jonathan Sierra, Yonathan Perlaza, Brailyn Marquez, Yovanny Cruz, Fernando Kelli, Luis Diaz, Luis Verdugo, etc. as sweeteners in a larger trade for pitching than other teams would?

Say a trade from surplus (for both teams) like major league ready offense (Happ and Caratini) plus someone like David Bote (or whomever) and three IFAs for Julio Teheran (coming off a down year with 20 million still owed), one of their younger pitching prospects (Wright, Soroka, Anderson, or Wentz) and AJ MInter (a lefty reliever with a good FB and control with minor league options left - 20th ranked prospect per MLB) who could ride the Iowa shuttle and provide relief depth.

That would leave the Braves with Newcomb (25) Foltynewicz (26), Fried (24), Gohara (21) and Sims (24) as starters with major league experience along with Allard and 3 other remaining top notch starting prospects (out of Wright, Soroka, Anderson and Wentz). They have two catchers over 30 in Tyler Flowers (32) and Kurt Suzuki (34) under contract thru this year only with Caratini waiting in the wings. Happ would replace Markakis (34) who could easily be traded with one year at 11 million left on his contract.

Am I in the ballpark or way out beyond the LF wall...?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:08 am

https://amp.mlb.com/263154584-ohtani-si ... ssion=true

Juan Pablo Martinez had a showcase Friday. The Rangers and Yankees with their big 2017-18 pools had a big presence there. Also working out today were 16-year old Cuban 3B/OF Malcolm Nuñez and 19-year old 3B/OF Oscar Luis Marten Nuñez.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 pm

0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”