International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2018-2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm

davell wrote:But, it's the Orioles. So, ante up and get the 3.75M or whatever you can get, Theo.

It sucks though, because even the O's will notice they're sitting on a gold mine, with 15-20 teams calling about this money......

During the Ohtani stuff, in which they were the one team who didn't do a bid/pitch, didn't they have some ridiculous comments come out about how they avoid international FA because reasons that were really stupid? Maybe they won't value that money at all. Also, could you just "buy" the money? Like could we just cut them a check for a few million for their IFA money? They seem like a team who might value real cash over prospects.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

profisme
Starter

Postby profisme » Tue May 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:But, it's the Orioles. So, ante up and get the 3.75M or whatever you can get, Theo.

It sucks though, because even the O's will notice they're sitting on a gold mine, with 15-20 teams calling about this money......

During the Ohtani stuff, in which they were the one team who didn't do a bid/pitch, didn't they have some ridiculous comments come out about how they avoid international FA because reasons that were really stupid? Maybe they won't value that money at all. Also, could you just "buy" the money? Like could we just cut them a check for a few million for their IFA money? They seem like a team who might value real cash over prospects.

If that is possible, sign me up for that.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue May 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Yeah, they're dumb. Not sure if you can actually pay money for IFA dollars or not. But, the fear is that even the light bulb will/has already clicked, because even they'll be like "Wow, there's been 22 teams wanting our IFA money, I bet we can get someone to give us something good!"

Because teams are competitive, REALLY want to add top prospects, they'll kind of get in their own way a bit here. I'm not saying their money costs a top 100 prospect, but my guess is it won't be the fodder they dealt it for recently either. Getting them to include it in a Machado deal would be the way to go......
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 pm

There is no way Manfred allows real money to be used for IFA money. The league doesn't like (doesn't allow?) straight money deals as is, something that would directly show that MLB is underpaying IFAs by 10x (or whatever the real number is) would be a real bad look.

It's hard to say what those slots are worth now. My guess would be something like 5x their dollar value. That wouldn't be too painful of a prospect, even from our diluted system.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

I'm almost positive I read somewhere in the CBA that you can not trade IFA money straight up for cash. Everytime it's been traded it's for a prospect or part of a larger trade. I don't think we have to give up a top-10 prospect, but a decent one(s) will have to be sacrificed to obtain additional funds.

I bet Baltimore will include that money to get better returns in trades for Machado, Britton, Brach, et al.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm not arguing what the value of IFA money has been, in the past. This is a different scenario. Last year, you had multiple teams pursuing Martinez. But, there were multiple teams that had money left over and also multiple teams that were willing to trade off money.

If it's true that all teams have spent their budget, you've got a bunch of teams that are going to be trying to acquire one pool of money. For what's evidently a much, much better player than Martinez, in Mesa. PLUS, a 16 year old kid that throws upper 90's and Keith Law said is an immediate top 100 type too.

Teams are competitive. I think they'll bid each other up quite a bit, in all honesty.

Side note, while teams may have spent their budgets, I DO figure there's some teams that'll have 200-300K left over that's unspent. Without plans to proceed after these guys. A smarter way could be to buy THOSE teams small amounts up. Find 10 teams like that, at 250K per, you've found 2.5M and enough to get at least one of Mesa or Rodriguez. For those small amounts, you're still giving up scraps. 10 scraps is much easier to give up than one actually interesting thing.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm really looking forward to the following sequence of events:

1) Cubs trade Russell, Albertos, ODLC and Hatch for Machado & IFA cap space
2) Cubs sign top 2 IFA and everyone else they were already in line for in July
3) Cubs win world series
4) Cubs announce a new deal with Machado, who takes a bit of a discount because he loved it here after his years of misery in Baltimore
5) Cubs find a taker for Heyward, somehow
6) Zobrist retires after winning his third title in four years
7) Cubs sign Bryce, who takes a bit of a discount because he wants to get past the first round of the playoffs
8) Cubs announce extension for Bryant, who loves it here and wants to play with his best buddy for the next 10 years
9) Cubs erect billboard across river from the arch, giving it a permanent middle finger
10) Cubs score 1200 runs next year, but cubs beat writers still complain about how the "feast and famine" offense still had 20 games where they scored less than 4 runs

Everyday lineup:

RF) Harper
3B) Bryant
1B) Rizzo
SS) Machado
LF) Schwarber
C) Contreras
CF) Happ/Almora
2B) Javy

Oh yeah, we also move back into the top 10 farm systems
1 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Tim wrote:I'm really looking forward to the following sequence of events:

1) Cubs trade Russell, Albertos, ODLC and Hatch for Machado & IFA cap space
2) Cubs sign top 2 IFA and everyone else they were already in line for in July
3) Cubs win world series
4) Cubs announce a new deal with Machado, who takes a bit of a discount because he loved it here after his years of misery in Baltimore
5) Cubs find a taker for Heyward, somehow
6) Zobrist retires after winning his third title in four years
7) Cubs sign Bryce, who takes a bit of a discount because he wants to get past the first round of the playoffs
8) Cubs announce extension for Bryant, who loves it here and wants to play with his best buddy for the next 10 years
9) Cubs erect billboard across river from the arch, giving it a permanent middle finger
10) Cubs score 1200 runs next year, but cubs beat writers still complain about how the "feast and famine" offense still had 20 games where they scored less than 4 runs

Everyday lineup:

RF) Harper
3B) Bryant
1B) Rizzo
SS) Machado
LF) Schwarber
C) Contreras
CF) Happ/Almora
2B) Javy

Oh yeah, we also move back into the top 10 farm systems

2 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

I like Bote and would like to keep him, but I honestly wonder if the Orioles would really like him? He can play all over the IF (probably some OF too), is cheap and seems like he could be a second division starter for them. They lose Machado this year and Schoop is a FA after next year so they have IF holes. Maybe him and some lotto ticket arm would be enough for the full money?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I like Bote and would like to keep him, but I honestly wonder if the Orioles would really like him? He can play all over the IF (probably some OF too), is cheap and seems like he could be a second division starter for them. They lose Machado this year and Schoop is a FA after next year so they have IF holes. Maybe him and some lotto ticket arm would be enough for the full money?

I'm a big Bote fan. Personally, I think we keep him and trade Happ for young pitching in the offseason, for when we get Bryce. I think Bote will be a very solid ML'er.

Baltimore may very well like him. I think the bidding will get higher than that, because of what you're getting in return......

I think I'd go Bote, Zagunis, Tseng or Mills, and one of ODLC or Hatch, to secure Mesa(and possibly Rodriguez too)
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I like Bote and would like to keep him, but I honestly wonder if the Orioles would really like him? He can play all over the IF (probably some OF too), is cheap and seems like he could be a second division starter for them. They lose Machado this year and Schoop is a FA after next year so they have IF holes. Maybe him and some lotto ticket arm would be enough for the full money?

I'm a big Bote fan. Personally, I think we keep him and trade Happ for young pitching in the offseason, for when we get Bryce. I think Bote will be a very solid ML'er.

Baltimore may very well like him. I think the bidding will get higher than that, because of what you're getting in return......

I think I'd go Bote, Zagunis, Tseng or Mills, and one of ODLC or Hatch, to secure Mesa(and possibly Rodriguez too)

I'd do that. This system needs high ceilings right now, has little need for bench depth and has a lot of pitching depth to deal. Role players (or 2nd division starters, I'm looking at you, Baltimore) like Bote and Zagunis plus some arms with a chance (I don't know about Tseng or Mills having much value at the moment, but Hatch, ODLC, Maples, Clifton, Rucker, Abbott, heck even Underwood [it is the O's after all..] might) would be fine by me if it nets you some high upside prospects.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 pm

We traded Michael Roth to the Rangers apparently. Do they have any IFA money to trade that could be coming back? Not that I’d assume it would be anything great but if they are in the penalty box who knows?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:We traded Michael Roth to the Rangers apparently. Do they have any IFA money to trade that could be coming back? Not that I’d assume it would be anything great but if they are in the penalty box who knows?

They aren't. Rangers are always really active in IFA (they just signed the big time Cuban, Julio Pablo Martinez), and I would honestly expect them to ADD IFA money, rather than deal it away. Crazier things have happened I suppose.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:We traded Michael Roth to the Rangers apparently. Do they have any IFA money to trade that could be coming back? Not that I’d assume it would be anything great but if they are in the penalty box who knows?

They aren't. Rangers are always really active in IFA (they just signed the big time Cuban, Julio Pablo Martinez), and I would honestly expect them to ADD IFA money, rather than deal it away. Crazier things have happened I suppose.

Got it. Thanks. Roth is a nothing but figured it could’ve been if you like this guy he’s yours for a few hundred grand in IFA money if the were in the penalty
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

Got it. Thanks. Roth is a nothing but figured it could’ve been if you like this guy he’s yours for a few hundred grand in IFA money if the were in the penalty

Yeah, AAAA types like Roth get traded for cash considerations or nobody PTNBLs.

Also none of the IFA money the Cubs acquire before 7/2 can help them in the 2018-19 IFA period, so it would be pointless to acquire international space now.
2 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 pm

You saw that idiot Charles the Cat trying to suggest this, didn't you?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:27 pm

davell wrote:

I did not. I think I saw Clapp retweet the trade during the game today. Just the first spot my mind went with the IFA money talk this week since it’s not like he was getting traded for much and I didn’t know where the Rangers were at penalty wise or that it was too early to do trades for our purposes like TT pointed out.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:

I did not. I think I saw Clapp retweet the trade during the game today. Just the first spot my mind went with the IFA money talk this week since it’s not like he was getting traded for much and I didn’t know where the Rangers were at penalty wise or that it was too early to do trades for our purposes like TT pointed out.

Ah, ok. I seriously hope we find the 2-2.5 mill it's going to take for Rodriguez.....

That'd give us 2 guys from the IFA group that have TOR potential. It makes it even more palatable to concentrate on bats in the draft too.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:

I’m blushing.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:

I’m blushing.

horsefeathers it. Just ignore anything I post in this thread
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I did not. I think I saw Clapp retweet the trade during the game today. Just the first spot my mind went with the IFA money talk this week since it’s not like he was getting traded for much and I didn’t know where the Rangers were at penalty wise or that it was too early to do trades for our purposes like TT pointed out.

I’m blushing.

horsefeathers it. Just ignore anything I post in this thread

Though I like to think I tip well.
3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:54 pm

0 x

Denmaz
bench player

Postby Denmaz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/savermetrics/status/1003288212645691393?s=21

Here's the video of Hsin-Chieh Lin.

4 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Raisin, anything of note in Badler's article on the 5 Cubans?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 pm

davell wrote:Raisin, anything of note in Badler's article on the 5 Cubans?

Can you give me a link or a tweet? I can’t seem to find the article.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”