4. Victor Caratini, C
5. Alex Lange, RHP
6. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP
7. Brendon Little, LHP
8. Thomas Hatch, RHP
9. Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP
10. Nelson Velazquez, OF

BEST TOOLS

Best Hitter for Average: Victor Caratini.
Best Power Hitter: Nelson Velazquez.
Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Mark Zagunis.
Fastest Baserunner: D.J. Wilson.
Best Athlete: D.J. Wilson.
Best Fastball: Dillon Maples.
Best Curveball: Alex Lange.
Best Slider: Dillon Maples.
Best Changeup: Jose Albertos.
Best Control: Jen-Ho Tseng.
Best Defensive Catcher: P.J. Higgins.
Best Defensive INF: Luis Vazquez.
Best INF Arm: Luis Vazquez.
Best Defensive OF: D.J. Wilson.
Best OF Arm: Eddy Martinez.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... TfKizCm.99

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... 7w8Yr4E.99
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: BA's Top 10 Cubs Prospects

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Wow - seven pitchers. What a change from past years.

I can't believe how early they got this out.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Strange how the top 2 prospects aren't listed anywhere under Top Tools.
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 pm

The projected lineup in 2021 is amusing. Between the position players and pitchers, there's one prospect. One position player over 30:

PROJECTED 2021 LINEUP

(Listed with 2021 season age)

C Willson Contreras (29)
1B Anthony Rizzo (31)
2B Javier Baez (28)
3B Kris Bryant (29)
SS Addison Russell (27)
LF Kyle Schwarber 28)
CF Albert Almora (27)
RF Ian Happ (26)
SP Jose Quintana (32)
SP Jon Lester (37)
SP Kyle Hendricks (31)
SP Adbert Alzolay (26)
SP Mike Montgomery (31)
CL Carl Edwards (29)
5 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Pleasant surprise to see Ademan get the top spot. His season was excellent, showed a ton of skills at a very young age. Throw in some weak competition for the system’s top spot....I’d have Albertos, Hatch, and Lange higher, and am not a huge believer in Alzolay’s perceived ceiling if the thinking is still a potential 3 or even 2 starter.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Did scouts just not turn up for Rucker's starts? I continue to be confused why he can't get any love while someone like Hatch is cracking Top 10s.
0 x

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I just can't put De La Cruz that high. I get that he's got good stuff, but he isn't getting many innings at all. He honestly may already be on a reliever trajectory. I thought the great post-DL 2nd half of D.J. Wilson would have put him a bit higher in a depleted system, but I guess not.

Also hadn't realized that Vazquez was that highly thought of defensively. That's fun.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 pm

i have quite frankly never heard of Nelson Velasquez before now
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 pm

sneakypower wrote:i have quite frankly never heard of Nelson Velasquez before now

4th or 5th round pick.(5th, I think) Big power, had some hamstring issues during his HS season in Puerto Rico last year, so underperformed a bit. Healthy now, seems like we got a steal. Was over slotted, slot was 285k and we gave him 400k.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Did scouts just not turn up for Rucker's starts? I continue to be confused why he can't get any love while someone like Hatch is cracking Top 10s.

Rucker is one of those guys that will probably never appeal to scouts. Short RHP without elite velocity or movement, no wipeout secondary, and is a flyball pitcher. Hatch is also a relatively short RHP, but he has the great movement on all of his stuff, while still having solid velocity. His slider can be plus, and he induces tons of groundballs with all of his pitches. I'm a big fan of Hatch, as long as he stays healthy.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Did scouts just not turn up for Rucker's starts? I continue to be confused why he can't get any love while someone like Hatch is cracking Top 10s.

Rucker is one of those guys that will probably never appeal to scouts. Short RHP without elite velocity or movement, no wipeout secondary, and is a flyball pitcher. Hatch is also a relatively short RHP, but he has the great movement on all of his stuff, while still having solid velocity. His slider can be plus, and he induces tons of groundballs with all of his pitches. I'm a big fan of Hatch, as long as he stays healthy.

Rucker is sitting in the 92-93 range IIRC, and his GB% at Myrtle Beach was higher than Hatch's.
0 x

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

davell wrote:
sneakypower wrote:i have quite frankly never heard of Nelson Velasquez before now

4th or 5th round pick.(5th, I think) Big power, had some hamstring issues during his HS season in Puerto Rico last year, so underperformed a bit. Healthy now, seems like we got a steal. Was over slotted, slot was 285k and we gave him 400k.

5th round. I can't remember who it was, but one of the national guys was commenting on how legit he was after the season. Went on to compliment the Cubs for being able to look past the injury-plagued HS season to see his talent.
0 x

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

Rucker is sitting in the 92-93 range IIRC, and his GB% at Myrtle Beach was higher than Hatch's.

Which is why I said it's not elite. Hatch sits 92-94 as well, but with tons more movement. I do stand corrected on Rucker's GB rate, though. I thought he was a flyball pitcher for some reason. That is a big boon for him, as he doesn't have the secondaries as mentioned before.
0 x

Bertz
bench player

Postby Bertz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

He didn't make the list, and he shouldn't have, but I'm really bullish on DJ Wilson. The athleticism is obviously there, and the performance was fantastic after he came back from injury. .255/.339/.516 with a 10.0% walk rate and 19.1% k-rate, and he'll still only be 21 next season.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Bertz wrote:He didn't make the list, and he shouldn't have, but I'm really bullish on DJ Wilson. The athleticism is obviously there, and the performance was fantastic after he came back from injury. .255/.339/.516 with a 10.0% walk rate and 19.1% k-rate, and he'll still only be 21 next season.

Yeah, if that's his new level of performance he will be shooting up the rankings in 2018
0 x
Spoiler: show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
davell wrote:

5th round. I can't remember who it was, but one of the national guys was commenting on how legit he was after the season. Went on to compliment the Cubs for being able to look past the injury-plagued HS season to see his talent.

I believe it was Longenhagen at Fangraphs, who lives in the Phoenix area and gets in a lot of AZL games.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Maybe he’s getting knocked for his age? 23 in the A ball levels isn’t going to draw much national attention unless he was spectacular, and he was more very good.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Cubs Top 10 Prospects
1. Aramis Ademan, SS
2. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
3. Jose Albertos, RHP
4. Victor Caratini, C
5. Alex Lange, RHP
6. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP
7. Brendon Little, LHP
8. Thomas Hatch, RHP
9. Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP
10. Nelson Velazquez, OF

I'm surprised they have Ademan rated #1 on the list for the Cubs. Everything I've read about him to this point described him as a solid, average-tools infielder with a chance to stick at SS, but not someone who will be a plus defensive player. Just didn't seem like someone with a high ceiling. I wonder where they have the Cubs farm system ranked -- probably in the bottom third in MLB.

This list is pretty crappy compared to year's past, but that happens when you're making trades to help the big league team. I'm really not high on T. Hatch or Jen-Ho Tseng.

I do like A. Alzolay and O. De La Cruz, and hope they can remain healthy and move quickly next year.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 am

A few of the questions from the chat:

Paul (Chicago, IL): Would the Cubs' system be considered to be in the bottom five right now?

J.J. Cooper: Hey everyone. To start this out on a down note, yes I’d agree. This is one of the thinner farm systems in baseball right now. So how did they get here? By having a whole lot of success. Few teams that graduate the wave of prospects that Chicago did from 2014-2016 follow that up with anything equivalent, but more than that, the Cubs have traded away Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez in the past two seasons. If the Cubs still had both of them, they would be a top 10 farm system in my mind–that’s how valuable having two Top 10 Prospects is for a team. Instead, Chicago doesn’t have a sure-fire Top 100 Prospect and most of the best prospects are several years away.

Frank (Indianapolis, IN): How many of these guys could make BA's 100 list, if any?

J.J. Cooper: Ademan and Alzolay both feel to me like the kind of players who get consideration for the Top 100, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cubs are shut out.

Jeff (Work): Once I get past health and arm strength what am I loving about Alzolay? Is he ranked ahead of guys like Hatch, Albertos, and Lange on reaching AA or is there more to the story?

J.J. Cooper: Those are Alzolay’s strengths, but in this system a potentially reliable back-of-the-rotation starter looks pretty good. Albertos has more upside, but he also has yet to pitch in full season ball and has less than 50 pro innings. Lange has to add a third pitch and has enough of a medical concern that his signing bonus was reduced. Hatch needs to prove he can throw strikes. All four of the pitchers you mentioned have plenty left on the to-do list, but Alzolay is closest to the majors of the four.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm not ... surprised at this list. I'm okay with Ademan at the top. This looks to be a kid who can hit for average, be a solid defensive shortstop, and may grow into some double digit home run power. It's a good package. It's not a typical "number 1 prospect package", but our system is thin.

I'm fine with Alzolay at 2. The argument makes sense - he might not have the ceiling of a few other guys, but he's got a decent ceiling and stayed healthy. Tbh, a bit surprised that de la Cruz stayed at 6 as I sorta expected him to slide a bit. the lack of work is problematic,so I imagine he'll be on a tight leash this year, as I don't expect them to push him to a pen track just yet.

If anything, I'm a bit surprised at Tseng at 9 but the velocity being back makes it a decent placement. Velasquez over Wilson at 10 surprises a bit, but sounds like Velasquez's ceiling is higher and both are extremely far away.

All in all, I buy it. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, this was supposed to be the year with Torres/Jimenez/Cease in the top 5, and in that respect, our system wouldn't have missed a beat, which would've been fairly remarkable, but we pushed all in the last two years, and justifiably so.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”