Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-23-18

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-23-18

Postby CubsWin » Thu May 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:I was just telling myself yesterday that Lange needed a game where he got a bunch of strikeouts. The talk about a swing-inducing changeup is the best news of the day. He could be a legit MOR starter if he has both plus secondaries, even if the fastball velo stays in that depressed 90-92 range.

I'm still not going to be happy about Little at all until I see some velocity readings.

I've given Little's velo readings from previous games. They're similar to Lange's. Maybe a tick higher. I'll watch yesterday's game some time today.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu May 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Brendon Little:

Fast Ball - Was a little slower this game, but commanded better. 88-91 (He had hit 92-93 in previous games). He was throwing it for strikes in this game (not over the middle of the plate) and needs to maintain good control of it to set up his curve. The first two hits he allowed (both driven deep) was a FB up on the outer 3rd. Got a lot of ground balls on it when he kept it low. Little's FB velo drops in the later innings pretty much every game.

Curve - As good as advertised. Gets ground balls and swings and misses regularly even when it's bounced. Only velo reading was 78.

Change Up - Less defined shape than Lange's. I didn't get a velo reading.

Notes: Miguel Amaya blocked a curve in the dirt nicely. The runner took off (perhaps a little late), and Amaya fired a strike gunning him down. Narea barely had to move his glove to apply the tag. Amaya's HR was crushed. Everyone in the park, including the pitcher, knew instantly it was gone. It landed over the seats onto the concourse about 20 feet fair in left.

Ben Hecht's FB was clocked similar to Little's 88-91.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Lange’s start took him up to a 16.8% K-BB rate on the season to go with 0 HRs allowed in 42 IP. Fangraphs has him with a 49.2% GB and 25%(!!) IFFB rates, though I don’t know how accurate these are.

Miguel Amaya
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 pm

CubsWin wrote:Brendon Little:

Fast Ball - Was a little slower this game, but commanded better. 88-91 (He had hit 92-93 in previous games). He was throwing it for strikes in this game (not over the middle of the plate) and needs to maintain good control of it to set up his curve. The first two hits he allowed (both driven deep) was a FB up on the outer 3rd. Got a lot of ground balls on it when he kept it low. Little's FB velo drops in the later innings pretty much every game.

Curve - As good as advertised. Gets ground balls and swings and misses regularly even when it's bounced. Only velo reading was 78.

Change Up - Less defined shape than Lange's. I didn't get a velo reading.

Notes: Miguel Amaya blocked a curve in the dirt nicely. The runner took off (perhaps a little late), and Amaya fired a strike gunning him down. Narea barely had to move his glove to apply the tag. Amaya's HR was crushed. Everyone in the park, including the pitcher, knew instantly it was gone. It landed over the seats onto the concourse about 20 feet fair in left.

Ben Hecht's FB was clocked similar to Little's 88-91.

This is what I was afraid of.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”