Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 91382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 633
x 3162

Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 26, 2018 4:17 am

Box Score:

Iowa won 2-1 Box Score

RF L. Adams 0/3, HBP
1B T. Davis 1/3, BB
LF M. Zagunis 1/4, 2 K
SS D. Bote 1/3, R, HR (7), 2 RBI, 2 K
SP A. Mills 6 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 4-6 GO-FO, 97-57 pitches-strikes
RP S. Simmons 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K,1-0 GO-FO, E (1, pickoff)
RP A. Bass 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1-2 GO-FO

Tennessee won 5-0 Box Score

LF C. Burks 1/5, 2 K
SS Z. Short 0/3, BB, K
C I. Rice 1/3, 2 R, HR (2), 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
RF E. Martinez 1/4, R
3B J. Hodges 3/4, R, 2B (5), HR (1), 2 RBI, K
SP O. de la Cruz 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 6-2 GO-FO, 84-58 pitches-strikes
RP J. Stinnett 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1-0 GO-FO

Myrtle Beach won 1-0 Box Score

SS A. Monasterio 2/4, R
DH PJ Higgins 0/4, K
C J. Pereda 1/4, RBI
CF C. Myers 2/3, 2B (8), BB, CS (5)
2B A. Upshaw 0/4, K
3B Y. Peguero 1/3, K
SP K. Thompson 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K, 5-2 GO-FO, 81-58 pitches-strikes
RP T. Peyton 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-4 GO-FO

South Bend won 11-0 Box Score

3B J. Bethencourt 3/5, 2 R, 2 2B (11), 5 RBI, E (13, throw)
LF J. Young 1/3, R, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
1B A. Filiere 1/4, RBI, BB, 2 K
C M. Amaya 2/5, K
RF N. Velázquez 1/4, R, BB, K, E (1, fielding)
SS R. Narea 2/3, 2 R, 2 RBI
SP E. Uelmen 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K, 6-2 GO-FO, 90-59 pitches-strikes
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 91382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 633
x 3162

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Keegan Thompson: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K.
0 x
Image

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8470
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 737
x 815

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 27, 2018 12:42 am

Erich Uelmen is joining Thompson and Lange among 2017 draftees having their best pro starts this weekend...5 shutout so far for South Bend with 8 Ks, 1 BB, a 6/2 GO/AO, and 3 hits allowed.
1 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 1:13 am

De La Cruz just took a line shot off his knee with 1 out in the 4th inning. Hit him flush as it came right back towards home plate. He stayed in the game after being checked out and throwing a few pitches. Strike out and easy ground ball to SS to end the inning.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 2:28 am

Bote with his 7th HR of the year to put the I-Cubs up 2-1. Did the Orioles have scouts in attendance...?
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21380
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1808
x 2292

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby davell » Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 am

ODLC goes 7 5 0 0 0 7 with a 6/2 GB/FB ratio.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21054
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 196
x 584

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby UK » Sun May 27, 2018 3:22 am

Uelmen has a 17IP (3 start) scoreless streak right now.

17IP 11H 0ER 4BB 17Ks.

Never been high on him but it's good to see.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 am

davell wrote:ODLC goes 7 5 0 0 0 7 with a 6/2 GB/FB ratio.....

Since (and including) his start on 4/29: 6 starts, 34 IP, 27 H, 11 R (all earned), 0 HR, 10 BB, 36 K with an ERA of 2.91 and a WHIP of 1.09.

His first 4 starts were rough with only one good game among them, but if he can remain consistently good from here on out, they mean nothing. Consistency and remaining healthy are the keys for De La Cruz. If he keeps this up, he could see AAA by July. He'll be 23 years old all year.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 1832
x 37

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby Bear Cub » Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 am

Four games, one run allowed! Nice!
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 pm

CubsWin wrote:
davell wrote:ODLC goes 7 5 0 0 0 7 with a 6/2 GB/FB ratio.....

Since (and including) his start on 4/29: 6 starts, 34 IP, 27 H, 11 R (all earned), 0 HR, 10 BB, 36 K with an ERA of 2.91 and a WHIP of 1.09.

His first 4 starts were rough with only one good game among them, but if he can remain consistently good from here on out, they mean nothing. Consistency and remaining healthy are the keys for De La Cruz. If he keeps this up, he could see AAA by July. He'll be 23 years old all year.

It was mentioned on the May 5th broadcast that De La Cruz was dealing with an in-grown toe nail early on in the season when he was struggling. That might be a possible explanation for the stark difference between his first 4 starts and his last 6.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 91382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 633
x 3162

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Ryan Williams is back, but down to 81-83 mph. Erling Moreno is back too:

RHP Ryan Williams (2017 shoulder surgery) got the start for the Cubs and threw 3.2 IP (46 pitches), retiring the first six men he faced (6-3, 3-U, 4-3, P-6, 4-3, K-swinging) on only 20 pitches before allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits (both singles) and a walk in a 19-pitch third inning of work. The Williams FB sat at 81-83, but he featured a plus-CV and plus-CH that kept Angels hitters off-balance.

RHP David Garner (on Restricted List and at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) relieved Williams and easily retired four of the five men he faced (he walked the first hitter and then retired four in a row - K-swinging, 6-3, 5-3, 4-3). Garner will be getting out of the "penalty box" next week, and he looks like he is ready to roll.

RHP Erling Moreno worked two innings in relief, and while his line wasn't great, he was pumping his FB consistently at 96-98 MPH and mixing it with a hard slider. E. Moreno has been at EXST for the past couple of months throwing bullpen sessions and working on his mechanics, and from what he showed today, he could maybe fit a reliever profile (perhaps a two-inning reliever in the Archie Bradley/Josh Hader/Amir Garrett mold?).


https://www.thecubreporter.com/05262018 ... -riverview
0 x
Image

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Ryan Williams is back, but down to 81-83 mph. Erling Moreno is back too:

RHP Ryan Williams (2017 shoulder surgery) got the start for the Cubs and threw 3.2 IP (46 pitches), retiring the first six men he faced (6-3, 3-U, 4-3, P-6, 4-3, K-swinging) on only 20 pitches before allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits (both singles) and a walk in a 19-pitch third inning of work. The Williams FB sat at 81-83, but he featured a plus-CV and plus-CH that kept Angels hitters off-balance.

RHP David Garner (on Restricted List and at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) relieved Williams and easily retired four of the five men he faced (he walked the first hitter and then retired four in a row - K-swinging, 6-3, 5-3, 4-3). Garner will be getting out of the "penalty box" next week, and he looks like he is ready to roll.

RHP Erling Moreno worked two innings in relief, and while his line wasn't great, he was pumping his FB consistently at 96-98 MPH and mixing it with a hard slider. E. Moreno has been at EXST for the past couple of months throwing bullpen sessions and working on his mechanics, and from what he showed today, he could maybe fit a reliever profile (perhaps a two-inning reliever in the Archie Bradley/Josh Hader/Amir Garrett mold?).


https://www.thecubreporter.com/05262018 ... -riverview

Moreno was consistently at 96-98?

You buried the lede, Raisin...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 91382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 633
x 3162

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 7:05 pm

CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Ryan Williams is back, but down to 81-83 mph. Erling Moreno is back too:

RHP Ryan Williams (2017 shoulder surgery) got the start for the Cubs and threw 3.2 IP (46 pitches), retiring the first six men he faced (6-3, 3-U, 4-3, P-6, 4-3, K-swinging) on only 20 pitches before allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits (both singles) and a walk in a 19-pitch third inning of work. The Williams FB sat at 81-83, but he featured a plus-CV and plus-CH that kept Angels hitters off-balance.

RHP David Garner (on Restricted List and at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) relieved Williams and easily retired four of the five men he faced (he walked the first hitter and then retired four in a row - K-swinging, 6-3, 5-3, 4-3). Garner will be getting out of the "penalty box" next week, and he looks like he is ready to roll.

RHP Erling Moreno worked two innings in relief, and while his line wasn't great, he was pumping his FB consistently at 96-98 MPH and mixing it with a hard slider. E. Moreno has been at EXST for the past couple of months throwing bullpen sessions and working on his mechanics, and from what he showed today, he could maybe fit a reliever profile (perhaps a two-inning reliever in the Archie Bradley/Josh Hader/Amir Garrett mold?).


https://www.thecubreporter.com/05262018 ... -riverview

Moreno was consistently at 96-98?

You buried the lede, Raisin...


He’s topped out at 98 in the past and this was only a 2 inning stint so I didn’t think it was that noteworthy.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Ryan Williams is back, but down to 81-83 mph. Erling Moreno is back too:



https://www.thecubreporter.com/05262018 ... -riverview

Moreno was consistently at 96-98?

You buried the lede, Raisin...


He’s topped out at 98 in the past and this was only a 2 inning stint so I didn’t think it was that noteworthy.

Yeah, Arguello said something about that in the past. But it never showed up in games last year. So, for me, having a more recent report saying the same thing while working on his mechanics is of note. Let's take it to copy editor's desk and let her decide...

All joking aside, if Moreno can maintain that velocity for strikes (yet to be seen) over two innings and has a hard slider, he becomes an interesting relief prospect to go along with Maples, Clark, Mekkes, Brooks, etc.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

toonsterwu
All-Star
Posts: 4516
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 am
x 50

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby toonsterwu » Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Wasn't Moreno's main pitch a power sinker? Wouldn't surprise me if

a) He's ramping it up out of the pen.

b) He's going more to a 4-seamer out of the pen.

It'd be somewhat of a shame if he was in the pen for good, but he could move fast in the pen if the stuff is still strong.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 91382
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 633
x 3162

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 9:42 pm

CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Moreno was consistently at 96-98?

You buried the lede, Raisin...


He’s topped out at 98 in the past and this was only a 2 inning stint so I didn’t think it was that noteworthy.

Yeah, Arguello said something about that in the past. But it never showed up in games last year. So, for me, having a more recent report saying the same thing while working on his mechanics is of note. Let's take it to copy editor's desk and let her decide...

All joking aside, if Moreno can maintain that velocity for strikes (yet to be seen) over two innings and has a hard slider, he becomes an interesting relief prospect to go along with Maples, Clark, Mekkes, Brooks, etc.


Keith Law had Moreno 94-97 when Law ranked Moreno 14th in the Cubs system over the offseason.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7318
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 220
x 523

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby CubsWin » Sun May 27, 2018 10:03 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
He’s topped out at 98 in the past and this was only a 2 inning stint so I didn’t think it was that noteworthy.

Yeah, Arguello said something about that in the past. But it never showed up in games last year. So, for me, having a more recent report saying the same thing while working on his mechanics is of note. Let's take it to copy editor's desk and let her decide...

All joking aside, if Moreno can maintain that velocity for strikes (yet to be seen) over two innings and has a hard slider, he becomes an interesting relief prospect to go along with Maples, Clark, Mekkes, Brooks, etc.


Keith Law had Moreno 94-97 when Law ranked Moreno 14th in the Cubs system over the offseason.

Must've been in games I wasn't watching...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8470
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 737
x 815

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 5-26-18

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Also from the AZPhil post:

LHP Jonathan Bruzual (up from the Cubs Dominican Academy) made his U. S. game debut, throwing a shutout inning. Bruzual's FB sits at 84-86, but he has a solid CV and is working on a CH. He reported to EXST with the other DSL pitchers about two months ago, but he had been throwing only bullpen sessions up until today.


Only pasting because he's in that pool of LHs the past couple years (Marquez, Carrera, Vargas, Bruzual, Heredia) that has thrown well enough in the DSL and might produce a worthwhile prospect. Marquez is the only one with current velocity, his catch being that he's giving up the most HRs. Personally I kinda like what Faustino Carrera has done as a pro and think he's going to do well in Eugene this year.
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler


Return to “Minor Leagues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests