Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 7-15-18

Hrubes20
Starter

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 7-15-18

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Let's shift the discussion to Nico. This dudes a horsefeathering badass. I'm gonna go to the extreme but I can see some Mookie Betts in his game. Obviously has a great eye at the plate and does not whiff much.

Cubs are gonna have to tinker with the swing if they want more power, IMO. He has 2 career HRs already, but the first one went about 320 feet and would have been caught on the track in a big league park, and everything else has been of the groundball or linedrive variety. That plays well with his plus speed, but it's not going to result in 20 bombs. The walks are really nice to see in the early going, though. He only walked 19 times this year at Stanford in 254 PAs, 15 in 275 in 2017, and 13 in 236 in 2016. He already has 9 in 60 professional PAs. It's been about as good as a pro debut as you could have asked for from Hoerner so far.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 7-15-18

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Let's shift the discussion to Nico. This dudes a horsefeathering badass. I'm gonna go to the extreme but I can see some Mookie Betts in his game. Obviously has a great eye at the plate and does not whiff much.

Cubs are gonna have to tinker with the swing if they want more power, IMO. He has 2 career HRs already, but the first one went about 320 feet and would have been caught on the track in a big league park, and everything else has been of the groundball or linedrive variety. That plays well with his plus speed, but it's not going to result in 20 bombs. The walks are really nice to see in the early going, though. He only walked 19 times this year at Stanford in 254 PAs, 15 in 275 in 2017, and 13 in 236 in 2016. He already has 9 in 60 professional PAs. It's been about as good as a pro debut as you could have asked for from Hoerner so far.

Bold opinion: I have a lot of faith in the Cubs front office when it comes to drafting college hitters in the first round.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”