Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-25-18

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Jimmy Herron HR #3 at South Bend.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:58 am

Riley Thompson with another good start. HIs August numbers are very solid. I'll watch the game later and see if any velocities and such are given.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:22 am

Nelson Velázquez HR (#8)
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Riley Thompson:

1st inning - 1st 2 FB velos were at 91, later 93 and finished the inning with a swinging K on a 95 mph FB on the outside corner. Couldn't get the curve going leaving them all up without much break. Seemed to not have a feel for it.

2nd inning - 2 fastballs at 94 to the first batter which ended in another swinging K. Still missing badly up with the curve.

3rd inning - Finally found his curve ball. 4 out of 5 were good 12-6 breakers for strikes. Hit 95 twice.

4th inning - Curve continuing to look much better and consistent. Some start out high (his arm slot looks pretty much straight over the top) and break straight down with a big loopy break. Others look flatter to start with sharp break at the end. Hit 95 again. Got the last guy looking on a good curve. 1-2-3 inning.

5th inning - Left his only 2 curveballs up again. Got the last batter on a high fastball, check swing but he clearly went around.

Notes: Riley was on a set pitch count, as most younger pitchers are in the Cubs system. He retired his last 8 in a row and looked strong when taken out after 72 pitches. Because of his high arm slot, his FB looks like it going straight down which likely leads to his solid 1.44 GO/AO. In the first couple innings (in which he gave up two walks and two hits), he was bouncing some FBs, but once he found his release point, he was fairly consistently at the knees and had good placement of it on the inside corner to left-handers. When he had his curve going, it was quite effective, but that was inconsistent in this game.

He's listed at 6'3", 205 lbs., but looks quite slender. It seems like he has the frame to add some upper body muscle especially around his shoulders. I'm not the best at diagnosing a delivery (or a swing for that matter), but it seems his main issue is consistency of release point on both the FB and curve. Again, take that with a grain of salt.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:05 pm

CubsWin wrote:Riley Thompson:

1st inning - 1st 2 FB velos were at 91, later 93 and finished the inning with a swinging K on a 95 mph FB on the outside corner. Couldn't get the curve going leaving them all up without much break. Seemed to not have a feel for it.

2nd inning - 2 fastballs at 94 to the first batter which ended in another swinging K. Still missing badly up with the curve.

3rd inning - Finally found his curve ball. 4 out of 5 were good 12-6 breakers for strikes. Hit 95 twice.

4th inning - Curve continuing to look much better and consistent. Some start out high (his arm slot looks pretty much straight over the top) and break straight down with a big loopy break. Others look flatter to start with sharp break at the end. Hit 95 again. Got the last guy looking on a good curve. 1-2-3 inning.

5th inning - Left his only 2 curveballs up again. Got the last batter on a high fastball, check swing but he clearly went around.

Notes: Riley was on a set pitch count, as most younger pitchers are in the Cubs system. He retired his last 8 in a row and looked strong when taken out after 72 pitches. Because of his high arm slot, his FB looks like it going straight down which likely leads to his solid 1.44 GO/AO. In the first couple innings (in which he gave up two walks and two hits), he was bouncing some FBs, but once he found his release point, he was fairly consistently at the knees and had good placement of it on the inside corner to left-handers. When he had his curve going, it was quite effective, but that was inconsistent in this game.

He's listed at 6'3", 205 lbs., but looks quite slender. It seems like he has the frame to add some upper body muscle especially around his shoulders. I'm not the best at diagnosing a delivery (or a swing for that matter), but it seems his main issue is consistency of release point on both the FB and curve. Again, take that with a grain of salt.

I noticed the same thing. Some guys just struggle to release the ball from a consistent release point like Arrieta. The delivery seems fine and I think his fastball ticks up as a reliever. He sometimes rushes his delivery. He seems pretty athletic overall with a quick arm. I don't think he's going to add much more muscle unfortunately. His frame could handle more, but I doubt it happens.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Return to “Minor Leagues”