AZL Cubs 2 won 5-1 Box Score

DSL Cubs 1 won 6-4 Box Score

DSL Cubs 2 lost 4-2 Box Score
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-6-19

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Brailyn will be making his Myrtle Beach debut today.
1 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:11 pm

No idea on their stuff, but both DSL starters had good days today.

5'11" lefty Andricson Salvador has been hot lately combing for 25.2 IP, 21 H, 5 BB, 35 K, 2.10 ERA, .196 BAA, 1.01 WHIP in July and August. He just turned 19 two weeks ago. This is his 1st pro season.

6'3" righty Luis Devers, who put up good numbers in his pro debut as an 18 year old last season but didn't get the call to the AZL this year, has also been impressive. Over his last 8 starts, he's pitched 38 IP allowing 30 H and 8 BB against 36 Ks for an ERA of 1.66 and a WHIP of 1.00.

Obviously they're both fringe prospects at this point but worth tracking.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Marquez electric in his 1st High-A inning. Scoreless and hitless, he struck out 2, hitting 102 on the stadium gun multiple times.
2 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:30 pm

FB at 100-101 and wicked slider at 94(!) in another perfect inning with 2 Ks in the 2nd inning. This guy has either unlocked something and taken a very large step forward in his development or his arm is about to fall off...
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Wild in the 3rd. Two walks. Velocity dips to 97-100. Adrenaline wearing off? Still, though, hitless thru 3.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 am

Brendon Little promoted to Myrtle Beach too.

Luis Vázquez promoted to South Bend.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:45 am

5IP 0H 0ER 3BB 4K with 79 pitches for Marquez. I'd think he's done at this point.
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:58 am

1 hit in 17 IP in his last 3 starts. He's warm.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 am

Tryptamine wrote:5IP 0H 0ER 3BB 4K with 79 pitches for Marquez. I'd think he's done at this point.

Yep. He got much wilder in the 3rd and 4th giving up lead off walks in both. A little better in the 5th but not much. He threw 20 of his first 25 pitches for strikes. After that, just 30 of his next 54. His FB was sitting 97 in the later innings.

Even so, he was unhittable. High-A batters proved able to make more contact, fouling off a lot more pitches than his last two Low-A outings, but anything hit fair was an easy out. May have had some extra adrenaline in the 1st two innings and then the inevitable shakes once it dropped lower. I'm excited to see whether he can maintain his control once he settles in.

All in all, pretty horsefeathering good. He's now up to 13 consecutive innings without allowing a hit.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-6-19

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:19 am

CubsWin wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:5IP 0H 0ER 3BB 4K with 79 pitches for Marquez. I'd think he's done at this point.

Yep. He got much wilder in the 3rd and 4th giving up lead off walks in both. A little better in the 5th but not much. He threw 20 of his first 25 pitches for strikes. After that, just 30 of his next 54. His FB was sitting 97 in the later innings.

Even so, he was unhittable. High-A batters proved able to make more contact, fouling off a lot more pitches than his last two Low-A outings, but anything hit fair was an easy out. May have had some extra adrenaline in the 1st two innings and then the inevitable shakes once it dropped lower. I'm excited to see whether he can maintain his control once he settles in.

All in all, pretty horsefeathering good. He's now up to 13 consecutive innings without allowing a hit.
So you watched this? I was looking at the log and was wondering how far those fly balls were going. He gave up 5, but I love how he ended his night with a double play grounder.

Hes got top 5-10 prospect potential.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 am

Since his 1st pro appearance after a long layoff, Ryan Jensen has gone 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 13 K. With Marquez going crazy, suddenly there's some TOR potential in the system.
2 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
CubsWin wrote:

So you watched this? I was looking at the log and was wondering how far those fly balls were going. He gave up 5, but I love how he ended his night with a double play grounder.

Hes got top 5-10 prospect potential.

Yeah, I watched. None of the fly balls got deeper than half way between the infield and the wall and they were all skied except for one that was more a line drive though would've landed foul if Kevonte Mitchell hadn't made a nice running grab. Even that was more of a looping liner.

He'd have to really improve his control/command to reach a top 5-10 ranking, but he's still 20 so he's got time to do it. The good news is he's already showing flashes of being able to do that for 2-3 innings at a time. If he continues pitching well at High-A the rest of the year, I'd certainly expect him to be top 100 after the season which I believe would make him the highest ranked Cubs pitcher since Dylan Cease.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 am

Top 5-10 prospect in baseball is a long path for Marquez, who has alot more pro experience than alot of other 20 YO and under arms that have already hit top 100 lists. Some arms he'd have to pass that are the same age or younger: Gore, DL Hall (who throws slightly less hard than Marquez but also has three plus or better offspeeds), Grayson Rodriguez, Luis Patino, Matthew Liberatore, D. Garcia...

OTOH this is a pretty badass run

----

Alot going on in that Pelicans game beside Marquez...Ethan Roberts threw another couple clean innings out of the bullpen, Ademan had a couple hits, a walk, a SB, and a K in 5 PAs so far, Amaya's got a couple walks and a K in 5 PAs

----

Carlos Ocampo tonight: 4 IP / 6 Ks / 0 Hs / 1 BB, has a <1 ERA over his last 6 starts with 23 Ks in 22 IP, just 12 hits allowed including a HR. Should compete for a SB role next year at 21, but wouldn't be out of place in the NWL
0 x
Spoiler: show

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-6-19

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Top 5-10 prospect in baseball is a long path for Marquez, who has alot more pro experience than alot of other 20 YO and under arms that have already hit top 100 lists. Some arms he'd have to pass that are the same age or younger: Gore, DL Hall (who throws slightly less hard than Marquez but also has three plus or better offspeeds), Grayson Rodriguez, Luis Patino, Matthew Liberatore, D. Garcia...

OTOH this is a pretty badass run

----

Alot going on in that Pelicans game beside Marquez...Ethan Roberts threw another couple clean innings out of the bullpen, Ademan had a couple hits, a walk, a SB, and a K in 5 PAs so far, Amaya's got a couple walks and a K in 5 PAs

----

Carlos Ocampo tonight: 4 IP / 6 Ks / 0 Hs / 1 BB, has a <1 ERA over his last 6 starts with 23 Ks in 22 IP, just 12 hits allowed including a HR. Should compete for a SB role next year at 21, but wouldn't be out of place in the NWL

I should have noted that I was talking about entering 2021 he could be in that conversation. They seem to have unlocked a more mechanically sound Marquez at South Bend. That was the gist of the coach talk around him at least. Hes been throwing more strikes. The stuff is certainly there. Next year he could have a meteoric rise if he can keep smoothing out those edges.

At least top 20 should be very much in reach IMO.

And by 2021 a couple of those guys will have graduated... although other guys will surely enter the picture as an offset.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:06 am

I could see Marquez finishing next year and the A ball levels as a top 50 guy. He's unique enough, healthy, and making enough noise that if/when he can get onto the top 100s this offseason plus do the whole strikeouts and LH velocity thing next year...We've also seen alot of pitchers get attention at MB and he'll be the highest profile guy that's come through. Next year should be a good year for him

--

Prospect A:

Age 22, first year pro in A ball, no TJ surgery, 86 IP / 7 HRs / 71 Ks / 60 Hs

Prospect B:

Age 22, first year pro in A ball, TJ surgery, 83 IP / 8 HRs / 78 Ks / 79 Hs

Sanders has flashed 98 MPH velocity this year, a big curveball, a harder breaking bal, and sometimes even a changeup. He came into pro ball without many innings, like maybe a little over 100 spread over 3 years in college, but had a promising frame and athleticism, alot of arm strength behind a four seam, and a big loopy curveball. I don't see him as a SP prospect, but do think he's another org sleeper quietly having a strong year and doing some of that developing stuff

Prospect A is obviously Sanders, B is Riley Thompson
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 am

I'm having difficulty seeing the importance of when you were signed as it pertains to how good of a prospect they are today. Entering an organization as an IFA when you're 16 or 17 vs. as a prep draftee at 18 or 19 doesn't really matter does it? Its how much you've developed since then, right? Am I missing something? Top prep pitchers get excellent coaching, too, don't they?

I mean if a prep pitcher at 18 gets taken high in the 1st round and does great right out of the gate but then progresses incrementally while an IFA pitcher is middling thru age 18 but then progresses and develops leaps and bounds in the next two seasons, what's the difference?

None of that is to say Marquez is a better prospect than player X or Y, I just am having a hard time understanding why that would count against him in a prospect evaluation of who they are today. I'm opening to learning, though.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-6-19

Postby CubsWin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I should have noted that I was talking about entering 2021 he could be in that conversation. They seem to have unlocked a more mechanically sound Marquez at South Bend. That was the gist of the coach talk around him at least. Hes been throwing more strikes. The stuff is certainly there. Next year he could have a meteoric rise if he can keep smoothing out those edges.

At least top 20 should be very much in reach IMO.

And by 2021 a couple of those guys will have graduated... although other guys will surely enter the picture as an offset.

No, I got that. I certainly didn't think you were referring to next spring.

He's still got a lot of development left to reach that kind of ranking, in my estimation. Consistently better control/command would likely do it, though, or at least get him close like somewhere in the top 20. He's only shown improved control very recently and only in spurts, so he's got a ways to go to get there.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm

CubsWin wrote:I mean if a prep pitcher at 18 gets taken high in the 1st round and does great right out of the gate but then progresses incrementally while an IFA pitcher is middling thru age 18 but then progresses and develops leaps and bounds in the next two seasons, what's the difference?

I meant to reply earlier but was too busy being cool and turning 31. This is an interesting perspective on Marquez v the guys his age or younger already on top 100 lists and long getting TOR hype and looking at it probably offers one answer for why he's an big longshot for top 20 overall prospect by end of 2020.

Marquez''s track has been incrimental. DSL 2016, AZL 2017, NWL 2018, and finally full season MWL with some High A starts at the end. Alot of those guys, a mix of domestic and IFA arms, went straight from Rk ball to full season ball at 18-19 and have crushed it. Luis Patino, 19, has flat out dominated in the Cal (A+) all year as well as all the MWL last year at 18. The 20 YOs, Gore, Garcia, and Hall, have spent all year in High A with the former two breaking into and nailing AA ball. From that perspective, is Marquez the one who has developed leaps and bounds since he was 18 or is it the guys matching and besting his pace? This is before we get into how these guys have deeper repertoires, better command, better performance, better ARLs, higher bonuses, etc...

So why does that impact his shot at becoming a top 20 prospect in baseball in a huge way? For one, all those guys listed hit the top 100 by the time they were 19-20 and most were higher profile and/or more expensive amateurs. Marquez was not a particularly high profile amateur, noted for being large and throwing hard then too, and stateside scouts haven seen Marquez for three years when only now does he have a serious shot at even making a top 100 list or two. If/When he does this offseason, it's likely the back 25. He's already going to have to do some outstanding stuff to finish 2020 a top 50 guy, he'd basically have to 2005 Verlander the minors to break into the top 20.

Is any of this a career or even good SP dream killer? Nope, but it's pretty obvious when compared to same aged or younger guys, domestic or IFA on already top 100s he lags behind. Coming up right behind those guys are highly touted teenaged arms like Ethan Hankins and Simeon Woods-Richardson, themselves top 100 candidates this offseason. Those are just some of the pitchers in pro ball his age or younger he is competing against to be a top 20 overall, and not mentioning guys a little older or all the bats. Then there's always more drafts and IFAs...Maybe Gallardo 2022 or something
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:59 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:I mean if a prep pitcher at 18 gets taken high in the 1st round and does great right out of the gate but then progresses incrementally while an IFA pitcher is middling thru age 18 but then progresses and develops leaps and bounds in the next two seasons, what's the difference?

I meant to reply earlier but was too busy being cool and turning 31. This is an interesting perspective on Marquez v the guys his age or younger already on top 100 lists and long getting TOR hype and looking at it probably offers one answer for why he's an big longshot for top 20 overall prospect by end of 2020.

Marquez''s track has been incrimental. DSL 2016, AZL 2017, NWL 2018, and finally full season MWL with some High A starts at the end. Alot of those guys, a mix of domestic and IFA arms, went straight from Rk ball to full season ball at 18-19 and have crushed it. Luis Patino, 19, has flat out dominated in the Cal (A+) all year as well as all the MWL last year at 18. The 20 YOs, Gore, Garcia, and Hall, have spent all year in High A with the former two breaking into and nailing AA ball. From that perspective, is Marquez the one who has developed leaps and bounds since he was 18 or is it the guys matching and besting his pace? This is before we get into how these guys have deeper repertoires, better command, better performance, better ARLs, higher bonuses, etc...

So why does that impact his shot at becoming a top 20 prospect in baseball in a huge way? For one, all those guys listed hit the top 100 by the time they were 19-20 and most were higher profile and/or more expensive amateurs. Marquez was not a particularly high profile amateur, noted for being large and throwing hard then too, and stateside scouts haven seen Marquez for three years when only now does he have a serious shot at even making a top 100 list or two. If/When he does this offseason, it's likely the back 25. He's already going to have to do some outstanding stuff to finish 2020 a top 50 guy, he'd basically have to 2005 Verlander the minors to break into the top 20.

Is any of this a career or even good SP dream killer? Nope, but it's pretty obvious when compared to same aged or younger guys, domestic or IFA on already top 100s he lags behind. Coming up right behind those guys are highly touted teenaged arms like Ethan Hankins and Simeon Woods-Richardson, themselves top 100 candidates this offseason. Those are just some of the pitchers in pro ball his age or younger he is competing against to be a top 20 overall, and not mentioning guys a little older or all the bats. Then there's always more drafts and IFAs...Maybe Gallardo 2022 or something

I appreciate the reply whenever it comes and happy birthday!

But you didn't really address the question I was asking. I totally get the logic you laid down. If a prospect is younger and better and there are a good number of them, it's going to make it hard for a slightly older pitcher to crack the top 20. Makes perfect sense, but I wasn't speaking in specifics of a top 20 in that post.

In other Marquez discussions, one of the reasons you weren't as high on him as some others here was the fact he's received professional coaching in the organization for 4 years (you originally said 5 but later corrected to 4) and, while always showing potential, remained only decent performance-wise until just recently.

In a non-Marquez related, hypothetical situation, I was wondering why it should count against a prospect if a he has spent 4 seasons in an organization as an IFA vs. 2 seasons as a prep draftee (or a month in the org as a college draftee) if they both have great stuff, they're essentially doing equally well at the same level and the same age later on?

I'm having trouble seeing that, but again, I'm open to learning.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 pm

CubsWin wrote:I appreciate the reply whenever it comes and happy birthday!

But you didn't really address the question I was asking. I totally get the logic you laid down. If a prospect is younger and better and there are a good number of them, it's going to make it hard for a slightly older pitcher to crack the top 20. Makes perfect sense, but I wasn't speaking in specifics of a top 20 in that post.

In other Marquez discussions, one of the reasons you weren't as high on him as some others here was the fact he's received professional coaching in the organization for 4 years (you originally said 5 but later corrected to 4) and, while always showing potential, remained only decent performance-wise until just recently.

In a non-Marquez related, hypothetical situation, I was wondering why it should count against a prospect if a he has spent 4 seasons in an organization as an IFA vs. 2 seasons as a prep draftee (or a month in the org as a college draftee) if they both have great stuff, they're essentially doing equally well at the same level and the same age later on?

Thanks, and just to clarify I'm not teaching anything just offering my own opinion based on what I believe the numbers say.

I'm not sure I've specified coaching for Marquez in some time if at all, but yeah sure generally pro coaching, nutrition, and facilities >>>> amateur coaching, nutrition, and facilities and he's gotten as much as twice the time as some of these guys. Beyond that it's just a matter of time - guys brought in as teens with the upside Cubs fans moreso than the wider world like to think Marquez has based on basically velocity get ID'd early, like all these 19-20 YO guys at his level of ball or above (more often above btw) hitting top 100s almost immediately and running up. I'm also assuming Top 100s have gotten better at identifying the cream of the crop, which they have. That teams and scouts and writers have had 4 years, three stateside, to see Marquez and only now maaaaaaybe this offseason will he squeeze into the back of a couple top 100s is a big indicator that he basically has no shot at becoming a top 20 prospect in baseball next year without doing something extraordinary and unexpected. The recent run is great, he's getting alot of good attention, but overall as a pro he hasn't kept up with the top guys his age like Gore, Hall, Patino, etc there either

The non-Marquez hypothetical leaves me with too little information. Generally the same aged or younger guy who took two years to do what another took four to do is going to be seen as the better prospect
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:43 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:I appreciate the reply whenever it comes and happy birthday!

The non-Marquez hypothetical leaves me with too little information. Generally the same aged or younger guy who took two years to do what another took four to do is going to be seen as the better prospect.

I haven't referenced top 100 rankings in these posts, so I'm just going to respond to the quoted part that applies.

I get that the bolded part is the opinion you hold, I just don't understand why (that's why I keep saying I'm willing to learn not that you behave like some high-minded teacher).

For me, it doesn't matter a hill of beans whether some guy was in the DSL at 17 while some other guy was in high school at the same age. I think the coaching they're getting is pretty comparable, but that's neither here not there. What matters to me is how is the prospect doing now. If they're both 20 and both in High A and both doing really well, why would it matter how long they've been in some team's organization? It seems to matter to you and I'm curious to understand your insight.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 am

CubsWin wrote:I haven't referenced top 100 rankings in these posts, so I'm just going to respond to the quoted part that applies.

I get that the bolded part is the opinion you hold, I just don't understand why (that's why I keep saying I'm willing to learn not that you behave like some high-minded teacher).

For me, it doesn't matter a hill of beans whether some guy was in the DSL at 17 while some other guy was in high school at the same age. I think the coaching they're getting is pretty comparable, but that's neither here not there. What matters to me is how is the prospect doing now. If they're both 20 and both in High A and both doing really well, why would it matter how long they've been in some team's organization? It seems to matter to you and I'm curious to understand your insight.

I'm not understanding what the context of this is anymore to be honest. I don't care that some unknown guy was in the DSL at 17 while some other unknown player is in a US HS. My thing is that the 19-20 YOs already on top 100 lists are ahead of Marquez in a variety of ways, including but not limited to moving through the lower minors faster while hitting those lists, and that Marquez leaping into the top 20 prospects in baseball next year after not making a top 100 until maybe his 4th (hasn't happened yet) is extremely unlikely
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:I haven't referenced top 100 rankings in these posts, so I'm just going to respond to the quoted part that applies.

I'm not understanding what the context of this is anymore to be honest. I don't care that some unknown guy was in the DSL at 17 while some other unknown player is in a US HS. My thing is that the 19-20 YOs already on top 100 lists are ahead of Marquez in a variety of ways, including but not limited to moving through the lower minors faster while hitting those lists, and that Marquez leaping into the top 20 prospects in baseball next year after not making a top 100 until maybe his 4th (hasn't happened yet) is extremely unlikely

It's all good, man. The context was from a post you made like week or so ago when you used the fact that Marquez was a 5th year pro (later corrected to a 4th year pro) to bolster your take that he might be the most overhyped Cubs left-handed pitching prospect since Andrew Sisco.

TomtheBombadil wrote:Most Hyped Power LH SP Prospect since Andy Sisco?

This was a fun start and all but Marquez is a 5th year pro in Single A with an ERA pushing 4 who allows 5+ runs per 9.

There's plenty of reasons to think that he's overhyped, I just didn't understand why a player being in the organization for 5 or 4 years would be a strike against him.

It's unimportant. I was just wondering what your thinking was and maybe I could learn something from your perspective. I learn a lot from the posters here.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am

CubsWin wrote:It's all good, man. The context was from a post you made like week or so ago when you used the fact that Marquez was a 5th year pro (later corrected to a 4th year pro) to bolster your take that he might be the most overhyped Cubs left-handed pitching prospect since Andrew Sisco.

TomtheBombadil wrote:Most Hyped Power LH SP Prospect since Andy Sisco?

This was a fun start and all but Marquez is a 5th year pro in Single A with an ERA pushing 4 who allows 5+ runs per 9.

There's plenty of reasons to think that he's overhyped, I just didn't understand why a player being in the organization for 5 or 4 years would be a strike against him.

Oh, really it just seems like you stopped reading the sentence halfway through? Just reading that sentence cold it reads like "in Single A with an ERA pushing 4 and a 5+ RA9" is a big chunk of context behind mentioning 5 years (eventually corrected to 4)
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”