AZL Cubs 2 won 6-1 Box Score

DSL Cubs 1 won 8-7 Box Score

DSL Cubs 2 won 8-6 Box Score
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-14-19

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Ho hum another day of work for Pinango in the DSL...3/5 with a double, couple stolen bases. Finally saw a clip of him and, maybe this is because of the recency of the TDL, but he reminded me physically of a sleeker Willie Calhoun with some big forearms, a compact but athletic frame, and easy strength behind a swing that covers alot of the plate. Not sure I've been as giddy about as DSL Cubs player since Amaya, guy's been on all year. There's alot of potential for the body to go backwards so young, but right now I think he's as clean a DSL prospect as a non-Julio Rodriguez can be

----

Faustino Carrera's shooting for 300+ pro innings tonight. That's something to take pride in at this point in his pro career with the way these guys get babied and overprotected, or just don't have the skill to do it, plus you get any gains that come with actually doing the thing you want to be good at in real game situations. A longshot, duh, but love that this guy has kept himself in the game with a high quantity of quality work. Hopefully he doesn't go all Kellogg on me, hitting the wall hard at a league and level he shouldn't next year...As far as I'm concerned the expectation is 140+ high quality innings in High A next year, which should finally allow him prospect status outside the org, and then if not traded he can work on being a more serious sleeper at AA+ at 22-23

----

SB draws Ethan Hankins, Darius Hill led off with a HR

Carrera goes 5.2 IP / 7 Ks / 3 Hs / 0 Rs...As a pro so far:

300.2 IP / 18 HRs / 243 Ks (20%) / 248 Hs / 73 BBs (6%) / ~3.20 RA/9 / 2.70 ERA ....So far this year (probably two starts and hopefully playoffs left) has a league average 23% K rate, a 17% K-BB rate that is well above the league 13% average in 106 IP (just outside the top ten there)...That K-BB% also makes him the only 20 YO among A ball pitchers this year (SAL and MWL) in the top ten for that category...Hypothetically he could leave the lower minors after next year with solid ARLs, 450 IP, a healthy arm, an average or slightly above average K rate compared to the various leagues, well below leagues average walk and K-BB numbers, mostly strong HR/FB rates...Imagine how much more meaningless this will all be when he Kelloggs

----

de la Cruz is at 40 Ks and 2 HRs allowed, 25 hits, in 29.2 IP as a reliever in AA, maybe there really is hope? He's a MiL FA this offseason

---

Gallardo continues stringing together good outings with another 3 shutout including a couple Ks

---

I like that Jensen is managing the inevitable struggles within his outings well more often than not. Walked the bases loaded with no one out in the first giving up just a run and picking up a couple Ks to get out of it. Threw a couple shutout innings after with a couple Ks. Including NCAA he's at 112 IP / 3 HRs / 126 Ks / 89 Hs / 41 BBs / ~2.7 ERA...He's yet another pitcher in this system that seems ready to throw alot of good innings in High A next year, could get moved fast if he hits the ground running

---

1 K in 26 SB PAs for Luis Vazquez, here's a double he hit last week:

1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm

0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:

I like that Jensen is managing the inevitable struggles within his outings well more often than not. Walked the bases loaded with no one out in the first giving up just a run and picking up a couple Ks to get out of it. Threw a couple shutout innings after with a couple Ks. Including NCAA he's at 112 IP / 3 HRs / 126 Ks / 89 Hs / 41 BBs / ~2.7 ERA...He's yet another pitcher in this system that seems ready to throw alot of good innings in High A next year, could get moved fast if he hits the ground running

There really should not be any inevitable struggles from a 1st round collegiate SP in short season ball. I realize the previous 1st round pitchers taken have set a very low bar, but even the 3rd and 4th rounders from this year have had zero issues at all in short season ball. Jensen's command is pretty terrible right now. Hopefully some tweaks can be identified at the pitching lab this offseason to get the command to even average. The stuff is at least legit, though.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:There really should not be any inevitable struggles from a 1st round collegiate SP in short season ball. I realize the previous 1st round pitchers taken have set a very low bar, but even the 3rd and 4th rounders from this year have had zero issues at all in short season ball. Jensen's command is pretty terrible right now. Hopefully some tweaks can be identified at the pitching lab this offseason to get the command to even average. The stuff is at least legit, though.

We could quibble about the significance of his walk totals in a dozen innings that might become twenty right out of the draft, but considering they're also accompanied by 0 HRs, 19 Ks, just 7 Hs, and a 2.25 ERA plus and outstanding draft season the situation is probably less dire than you're thinking.

His HR, K, H ratios, plus his strong bottom line run prevention in the 112 innings this year and even the dozen innings in pro ball don't suggest a command issue, in fact they suggest dominance, but the 41 walks (14 in 12) do suggest some control issues. Considering he's a 21 YO guy who throws really hard, just got drafted a couple months ago, and is throwing a new career high in innings this is not a weakness unique to Jensen even among guys who went on to become serious SPs. As far as I'm concerned he's nailed his job this year and set up a potentially loud first full season starting in High A. Scan the lines and no one matches his draft year dominance among college arms drafted by the Cubs
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:There really should not be any inevitable struggles from a 1st round collegiate SP in short season ball. I realize the previous 1st round pitchers taken have set a very low bar, but even the 3rd and 4th rounders from this year have had zero issues at all in short season ball. Jensen's command is pretty terrible right now. Hopefully some tweaks can be identified at the pitching lab this offseason to get the command to even average. The stuff is at least legit, though.

We could quibble about the significance of his walk totals in a dozen innings that might become twenty right out of the draft, but considering they're also accompanied by 0 HRs, 19 Ks, just 7 Hs, and a 2.25 ERA plus and outstanding draft season the situation is probably less dire than you're thinking.

His HR, K, H ratios plus his strong bottom line ru prevention in the 112 innings this year and even the dozen innings in pro ball don't suggest a command issue, in fact they suggest dominance, but the 41 walks (14 in 12) do suggest some control issues. Considering he's a 21 YO guy who throws really hard, just got drafted a couple months ago, and is throwing a new career high in innings this is not a weakness unique to Jensen even more guys who went on to become serious SPs. As far as I'm concerned he's nailed his job this year and set up a potentially loud first full season starting in High A. Scan the lines and no one matches his draft year dominance among college arms drafted by the Cubs, certainly none so high in the draft

Didn't I just say how low of a bar previous Cubs draft picks have set?

But watch him pitch. It's poor fastball command. He may have some control issue with the breaker as well, but he is throwing mostly fastballs. His stuff is really good, which is why the poor short season hitters are overmatched and haven't made good contact (a definite plus that was already mentioned). But the poor fastball command has already reared its head as a pro and some serious tweaks are in order or things will get ugly as he climbs the ladder.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Didn't I just say how low of a bar previous Cubs draft picks have set?

But watch him pitch. It's poor fastball command. He may have some control issue with the breaker as well, but he is throwing mostly fastballs. His stuff is really good, which is why the poor short season hitters are overmatched and haven't made good contact (a definite plus that was already mentioned). But the poor fastball command has already reared its head as a pro and some serious tweaks are in order or things will get ugly as he climbs the ladder.

Yes, you also suggested he was coming below that bar when really once you dig in on the guy - not so much. It's cool that some guys possibly made better debuts but none strung together season as strong. The closest is Abbott (4 HRS, 148 Ks, 75 Hs in 112 IP) and surprise surprise Abbott's one of the few in house arms to move fast, throw alot and consistently, perform well, and have a ceiling above optionable AAA arm

Not sure why the bold is spun as a bad thing rather than exactly what you want your hard throwing college RH to look like during his pro debut. It really otherwise sounds like you're confusing command and control to me. When I see him pitch it's a really loose body with an extremely fast arm, shows three pitches that can generate misses, easy velocity that guys swing and miss alot on, throws the fastball to all zones and easily beats guys up, underrated changeup with main issues being a lack of reps that hold back his confidence with it but should emerge in the pros, can drop the breaking ball for a strike or bury it for a whiff...No way am I panicking because the first round pick walked a few more guys during his debut while otherwise dominating the competition and showing all the physical tools he was said to have
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 am

I tend to throw out whatever a college guy does the summer after being drafted, good or bad. On the one hand the Northwest league is a substantial step down from the SEC/PAC 10 so they should dominate, but on the other hand these guys are usually horsefeathering GASSED after having started their seasons in February.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”