International Free Agency Thread, 1/15/2021 Class

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

International Free Agency Thread, 1/15/2021 Class

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Let's root against an IFA Draft in 2020 because the Cubs are linked to arguably the #1 IFA prospect - 6'1" Dominican SS Christian Hernandez, who is expected to sign for more than $3 million if there is no draft.
3 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Re: International Free Agency Thread 2020-2021

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:13 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Let's root against an IFA Draft in 2020 because the Cubs are linked to arguably the #1 IFA prospect - 6'1" Dominican SS Christian Hernandez, who is expected to sign for more than $3 million if there is no draft.

Is this the article from BA today?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Let's root against an IFA Draft in 2020 because the Cubs are linked to arguably the #1 IFA prospect - 6'1" Dominican SS Christian Hernandez, who is expected to sign for more than $3 million if there is no draft.

Is this the article from BA today?

Yeah, it’s from Badler’s article today.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Badler's been on this guy for a while too, at 14:

https://www.instagram.com/ben.badler/p/Bgzj_4CHDlx/

The long legs suggested alot of growth potential and here he is sometime last weekend:

That's an impressive frame, like Davis-esque out of HS, wouldn't be surprised if he's already outgrown the 6'1" listing
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 am

I know baseball loves to cut its nose to spite its face in the international department, but is there really concern that there's going to be less than a year of lead time between an International draft being announced and implemented?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 am

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-dispatch- ... world-cup/

The 17-year-old Chen is far from an unknown at this point. According to the international prospect section of THE BOARD, he could be looking at a seven-figure signing bonus in 2020. A major league scout told me that, at this moment, Chen is the most “complete package” among the pitching prospects out of Taiwan. Needless to say, a large group of major league scouts swarmed behind home plate to see Chen pitch against Panama.

Even before his start, Chen’s delivery stood out to me during his bullpen. He has an easy, fast-tempo motion that was direct to home. He finished well towards the home plate, setting himself up for good fielding position in case of a batted ball. He also showed good tempo between his pitches and rarely seemed hesitant to throw any of his pitches.

Chen’s fastball sat at around 89-91 mph throughout the game. He maintained the velocity late in the game when he broke 80-pitch mark. In general, he showed a good feel for commanding the pitch in different parts of the zone. In the second inning, he left some pitches up, which led to some hard contact. When he located his heater well, however, he was able to get called strikes or set up his secondary pitches.

Chen featured two different breaking pitches: a slider, with a 10-4 tilt, around 78-80 mph and a curveball, with a 11-5 tilt, around 71-74 mph. Earlier in the game he turned to his slider as his primary out pitch but he mixed in his curve more later in the game. He generated weak contact and whiffs with both, though it seemed that slider was the sharper one. He not only buried it below the zone for whiffs but also in the zone to freeze hitters. Chen barely showed his changeup and when he did, it wasn’t plus.

Even though he doesn’t have the most overpowering stuff, it’s easy to see why scouts are paying attention to Chen. He showed consistency for most of the game and an ability to throw strikes. And because of his lanky, projectable frame, he will probably add some velocity as he matures.
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/1167456442346958848?s=20

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-dispatch- ... world-cup/

The 17-year-old Chen is far from an unknown at this point. According to the international prospect section of THE BOARD, he could be looking at a seven-figure signing bonus in 2020. A major league scout told me that, at this moment, Chen is the most “complete package” among the pitching prospects out of Taiwan. Needless to say, a large group of major league scouts swarmed behind home plate to see Chen pitch against Panama.

Even before his start, Chen’s delivery stood out to me during his bullpen. He has an easy, fast-tempo motion that was direct to home. He finished well towards the home plate, setting himself up for good fielding position in case of a batted ball. He also showed good tempo between his pitches and rarely seemed hesitant to throw any of his pitches.

Chen’s fastball sat at around 89-91 mph throughout the game. He maintained the velocity late in the game when he broke 80-pitch mark. In general, he showed a good feel for commanding the pitch in different parts of the zone. In the second inning, he left some pitches up, which led to some hard contact. When he located his heater well, however, he was able to get called strikes or set up his secondary pitches.

Chen featured two different breaking pitches: a slider, with a 10-4 tilt, around 78-80 mph and a curveball, with a 11-5 tilt, around 71-74 mph. Earlier in the game he turned to his slider as his primary out pitch but he mixed in his curve more later in the game. He generated weak contact and whiffs with both, though it seemed that slider was the sharper one. He not only buried it below the zone for whiffs but also in the zone to freeze hitters. Chen barely showed his changeup and when he did, it wasn’t plus.

Even though he doesn’t have the most overpowering stuff, it’s easy to see why scouts are paying attention to Chen. He showed consistency for most of the game and an ability to throw strikes. And because of his lanky, projectable frame, he will probably add some velocity as he matures.

Per FG, he’s eligible the sign now but I’m guessing he’ll wait to graduate from HS next year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2671&p=361171&hilit=Po+Yu+Chen#p361171
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:02 am

Theo must acquire

Edit: Of course, the first thing that pops up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comme ... ighschool/

194 pitches in a 12 inning complete game coolcoocool guess he's more of a man now
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:18 pm

1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm

He really matured since the previous video I saw of him. I also don't hate that his nickname is Arod.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 pm

What is the status of the international draft? It seemed like some media outlets jumped on the possibility of a 2020 draft back in July, but then have gone completely silent on the matter. Safe to assume no progress has been made, at all?

Kiley McDaniel:

MLB wants it ASAP but they have to get agreements with all the different countries and that will take awhile. They also need the MLBPA to sign off, so it's likely for 2022 with the new CBA when all of this can be done...some nonzero chance they can pull it off before that

MLB also wants there to be a lot of rounds and a low bonus (like $10K max) for undrafted players, so having like 3 countries that aren't subject to the draft, then a Moncada type talent pops up...that's a problem. They need everyone subject to the draft for this cost-reducing scheme to work

I'm anti-draft so booooooooooooo
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:44 am

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statuses/1225585489282990080

Badler had the same news earlier today. Really wish they had given adequate IFA penalties to the Astros.

Badler made it sound like this future Astro isn't as good as the guys he rated 1a and 1b, SS Christian Hernandez (linked to the Cubs) and a SS linked to the Rays.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 am

I’m guessing the White Sox would have to trade for cap space to be able to afford Colás after this signing. He’s probably going to demand ~$4 million.

Multiple international scouting sources said the White Sox also have interest in Cuban star OF/LHP Oscar Colas, who recently defected. It's unclear how Vera's deal will impact the White Sox's pursuit of Colas. Chicago's international bonus pool for the 2019-20 signing period was slightly less than $5.4 million.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:13 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1226282414483349511?s=21

I’m guessing the White Sox would have to trade for cap space to be able to afford Colas.

Multiple international scouting sources said the White Sox also have interest in Cuban star OF/LHP Oscar Colas, who recently defected. It's unclear how Vera's deal will impact the White Sox's pursuit of Colas. Chicago's international bonus pool for the 2019-20 signing period was slightly less than $5.4 million.

I think they could afford both without trading for more IFA pool money. I think Colas will get somewhere around ~$3M and the agreement with Vera is for $1.5M. I believe they lost some pool money for signing Grandal as well.

Also, Colas isn't a true two-way talent like Shohei Ohtani or Brendan McKay. When he signs with some team it'll be strictly as an OF is my guess.

EDIT: Yeah, scratch that last part about the White Sox losing pool money for signing Grandal. He got a QO last offseason.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 pm

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -to-watch/

On top of potentially the top IFA in next year's class, Dominican SS Christian Hernandez, the Cubs are also linked to Venezuelan catcher Moises Ballesteros. Ballesteros bats lefty, produces hard contact and has a strong arm.

4 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:12 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-international-prospects-preview-catchers-to-watch/

On top of potentially the top IFA in next year's class, Dominican SS Christian Hernandez, the Cubs are also linked to Venezuelan catcher Moises Ballesteros. Ballesteros bats lefty, produces hard contact and has a strong arm.

Give me all the Venezuelan catchers!!!!
3 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah I really like this idea of stockpiling young offensively gifted catchers. Attrition is really bad behind the plate, but between Hearn, Quintero, and Ballasteros the odds of netting an impact guy are actually pretty solid.

I also think some of the the systemic changes coming to MLB in the next few years positively affect these guys:

- The 26th roster spot makes stashing a 3rd offensive minded backup catcher on the roster much more palatable, so if a guy develops into a Robinson Chirinos type that will be much less of a bummer than it used to be
- We're likely to see an automated zone in two years, which should lower the bar defensively, and possibly also allow catchers to progress through the system faster
- The NL DH is probably also coming in two years, so if we get lucky and hit on more than one of those guys (or if Amaya is a star) there's less worry about guys being blocked because there are more reasonable paths to playing time

In terms of things that I'm excited about on the farm this year the confluence of talent at Myrtle Beach is the clear #1 but the catching pipeline is probably #2.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 pm

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... ?sort=-1,1

Fangraphs rates Christian Hernandez as the 2nd best prospect in 2020. He's going to get a $3 million bonus (BA says $3.5 million), which would tie for the biggest IFA bonus the Cubs have given in the pool era (Quintero is the other at $3 million; Eloy at $2.8 were the previous highs).

Full Report
Likely shortstop with a long, projectable frame. Righty bat with pretty finish in BP but flatter path through the zone.

Also:

The 2020 Class

This group doesn’t seem to have the top-end talent that most classes do, at least based on my notes. Elite 2021 and 2022 talents have already been identified, and a few of them are clearly a cut above the top of the 2020 group — shortstops Rodrick Arias (‘21) and Felnin Celesten (‘22) and outfielder Cristian Vaquero (‘21) — but this class will certainly have quality players.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Ed Howard or Cristian Hernandez among signable amateur HS aged SSs this year?

Eric A Longenhagen: oooh, good one. man, that’s close. I’ll say Hernandez, more body projection. Howard is the better glove, though.

McDaniel leaned Howard so these two prospects might start a war
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Ed Howard or Cristian Hernandez among signable amateur HS aged SSs this year?

Eric A Longenhagen: oooh, good one. man, that’s close. I’ll say Hernandez, more body projection. Howard is the better glove, though.

McDaniel leaned Howard so these two prospects might start a war

Take Howard with the 16th pick and let em battle it out!
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:41 am

Bertz wrote:Yeah I really like this idea of stockpiling young offensively gifted catchers. Attrition is really bad behind the plate, but between Hearn, Quintero, and Ballasteros the odds of netting an impact guy are actually pretty solid.

I also think some of the the systemic changes coming to MLB in the next few years positively affect these guys:

- The 26th roster spot makes stashing a 3rd offensive minded backup catcher on the roster much more palatable, so if a guy develops into a Robinson Chirinos type that will be much less of a bummer than it used to be
- We're likely to see an automated zone in two years, which should lower the bar defensively, and possibly also allow catchers to progress through the system faster
- The NL DH is probably also coming in two years, so if we get lucky and hit on more than one of those guys (or if Amaya is a star) there's less worry about guys being blocked because there are more reasonable paths to playing time

In terms of things that I'm excited about on the farm this year the confluence of talent at Myrtle Beach is the clear #1 but the catching pipeline is probably #2.

Excellent post, Bertz. You forgot Brayan Altuve! The list is longer than you thought!

Yeah Myrtle Beach could be a lot of fun this year. At varying points during the season, they could have Davis, Morel, Roederer, Jensen, Strumpf, Franklin, R. Thompson, McAvene, Clarke and Velazquez (who is need of a breakout). Heck, Marquez could start there, and don’t forget the triumphant return of Jose Albertos has a dominant reliever...!
2 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:55 am

Looking forward to taking the 30 min drive to watch MB play when they come to eastern NC this year. My son is now 4 and it’s time we watched a live baseball game together.

Plus, it hopefully will help his apparent inability to identify sports. He knows pretty much all letters and can count to 50. Yet - inexplicably - routinely calls baseball football. Football basketball. Lord help me with golf. It’s gotten to the point that when he asks what I want to watch on TV I just say “sports” because then I know he will understand that I’m watching one of the above. He dropped a soccer reference on me the other day which I assume he got from school (I don’t watch soccer) so that only further muddies the situation.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-international-prospects-preview-catchers-to-watch/

Give me all the Venezuelan catchers!!!!

I think the Cubs already have them all!

By my count, they have 15 catchers from Venezuela currently in their system not including Ballesteros (though some might get released before the start of their season), and they had at least 1 Venezuelan catcher play at every level last year with every catcher but one in the DSL being Venezuelan.

Willson Contreras (MLB, AAA)
Erick Castillo (AAA, AA)
Jhonny Pereda (AA)
Miguel Amaya (High A)
Gustavo Polanco (Low A)
Johnathan Soto (SS-A)
Henderson Perez (AZL)
Edgar Gamargo (DSL)
Malcolm Quintero (DSL)
Miguel Fabrizio (DSL)
Pablo Aliendo (DSL)
Miller Chacon (DSL)
Brayan Mancilla (DSL)
Ronnier Quintero
Brayan Altuve
and now, apparently Moises Ballesteros.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/yoelqui-cesped ... free-agent

Orioles have the most money to spend now but he might wait maybe even try and enter the draft
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”