Minor League Musings place holder.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:33 am

Is it me, or does a new name pop up on the I Cubs roster every day? What the hell's a Cole Brocker? Kristopher Negron? Luis Cruz? Fernando Cruz? Miguel Mejia? I'm pretty sure they're just making these guys up. Not that it matters.
0 x
We won the World Series.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:41 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 pm

I don't like this thread title at all.

FUN facts:

Victor Caratini hit .301/.365/.451 over his last 148 regular season PAs for MB last year. He then went 7 for 11 in the playoffs with a walk and 3 doubles. Just for the hell of it - he also put up an .856 OPS against younger pitchers (66 PAs).
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I don't like this thread title at all.

FUN facts:

Victor Caratini hit .301/.365/.451 over his last 148 regular season PAs for MB last year. He then went 7 for 11 in the playoffs with a walk and 3 doubles. .....

Thanks, Tom. That's pretty good.

I heard a Myrtle interview with Madison at the convention. Not sure I'm remembering it all exactly right. But he mentioned Caratini in a favorable way, and suggested that Caratini hit in bad luck first half, and was actually hitting the ball pretty hard pretty often for most of the season. Defense has more questions and a ways to go.

Madison also mentioned that Happ will be full-time 2B. Suggested that Happ's bat was Myrtle ready; but he might start out at South Bend because of his defense.

If Happ starts at South Bend at 2B, South Bend has the chance to have a pretty interesting roster. Some might be XST and some Myrtle, but it's possible that you might have Happ, Dewees, Eloy, and Martinez possibly all at South Bend. DJ Wilson and/or Galindo also not impossible.

If they do bunch their better guys there, combined with the rotation they might possibly have (DelaRosa, steel, Sands, Paulino, Alzolay, Araujo, and perhaps some from the college pitcher group (Kellogg, Twomey, Brooks....), that could be a really interesting roster.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:17 am

craig wrote:Thanks, Tom. That's pretty good.

I heard a Myrtle interview with Madison at the convention. Not sure I'm remembering it all exactly right. But he mentioned Caratini in a favorable way, and suggested that Caratini hit in bad luck first half, and was actually hitting the ball pretty hard pretty often for most of the season. Defense has more questions and a ways to go.

Madison also mentioned that Happ will be full-time 2B. Suggested that Happ's bat was Myrtle ready; but he might start out at South Bend because of his defense.

If Happ starts at South Bend at 2B, South Bend has the chance to have a pretty interesting roster. Some might be XST and some Myrtle, but it's possible that you might have Happ, Dewees, Eloy, and Martinez possibly all at South Bend. DJ Wilson and/or Galindo also not impossible.

If they do bunch their better guys there, combined with the rotation they might possibly have (DelaRosa, steel, Sands, Paulino, Alzolay, Araujo, and perhaps some from the college pitcher group (Kellogg, Twomey, Brooks....), that could be a really interesting roster.

I believe it. He put up a ~.750 OPS over his last 400 regular season PAs, something like that.

Frandy de la Rosa was actually traded to the Rangers for a AAA pitcher, Patten.

South Bend should definitely be way more interesting than last year when it was basically just Torres. Kellogg, Twomey, Sands, Steele, and de la Cruz should open the season in the starting rotation. Happ at 2B with those three OFers would be an improvement from last year's group after Torres. I would give Wilson a shot at getting a taste of full season ball, most likely he is playing in SS Eugene. Galindo less so, I think he opens up in Arizona. The college group from last year - Happ, Kellogg, Dewees, Twomey - should carry expectations to move quickly - say June - to MB.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

I believe it. He put up a ~.750 OPS over his last 400 regular season PAs, something like that.

South Bend should definitely be way more interesting than last year when it was basically just Torres. Kellogg, Twomey, Sands, Steele, and de la Cruz should open the season in the starting rotation. Happ at 2B with those three OFers would be an improvement from last year's group after Torres. I would give Wilson a shot at getting a taste of full season ball, most likely he is playing in SS Eugene. Galindo less so, I think he opens up in Arizona. The college group from last year - Happ, Kellogg, Dewees, Twomey - should carry expectations to move quickly - say June - to MB.

Pretty sure craig meant De La Cruz since Delarosa isn't a pitcher.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:36 am

MLB.com hasn't updated their top 100 list for 2016 yet, but when they do there will be some movement among the catching position. As it currently stands, the top ranked C is Jorge Alfaro at 59. The only other C in the top 100 is Tyler Stephenson at 93.

MLB.com just came out with their top catching prospects list and Willson Contreras, who currently isn't ranked in the top 100, is ranked #1.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 am

CubsWin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Pretty sure craig meant De La Cruz since Delarosa isn't a pitcher.

It's hard to tell them apart because De La Cruz is also just happy all the time, unlike most people
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 am

So BP is giving a go at advanced minor league C defensive stats....Take it with as big or small a grain of salt as you like, but Contreras didn't do well:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=28193

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/card/ ... p?id=66719

The guy who should have taken MLB.com's and everyone else's #1 catcher spot, Gary Sanchez, actually graded out well despite his reputation. Ties into the scouting reports that Sanchez has improved significantly as a C over the past two years, but yeah still feel free to not take this seriously for a couple years.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 pm

I get that they're not using Pitch f/x, but I'm still extremely skeptical of the quality of the input data there. I think it would potentially be useful for comparing teammates, but even among players in the same league I'm not convinced that there's uniformity in pitch tracking implementation to make for a good data source.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:26 am

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/01/2 ... prospects/

McLeod on Torres, McKinney, Edwards Jr., and Johnson...Seems quietly high on Edwards, calling his fastball potentially great and stating that he could dominate - love that word tied into the ability of a Cubs prospect - in short outings and be another pitcher who can be asked to get more than three outs. Says Johnson's stuff might play up out of the pen, but not as effusive as he was about Edwards' stuff.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:09 pm

I'll put this here, I guess......The Cubs have left the Venezuelan Summer League, which then disbanded due to lack of teams. Cubs are back to 2 teams in the DSL now.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/01/25/cubs-svp-of-player-development-and-amateur-scouting-jason-mcleod-talks-prospects/

McLeod on Torres, McKinney, Edwards Jr., and Johnson...Seems quietly high on Edwards, calling his fastball potentially great and stating that he could dominate - love that word tied into the ability of a Cubs prospect - in short outings and be another pitcher who can be asked to get more than three outs. Says Johnson's stuff might play up out of the pen, but not as effusive as he was about Edwards' stuff.

thanks, Tom. Nice little interview.

Yes, he sounded pretty positive on Edwards. I thought he was fairly positive on Johnson, too.

I thought his comments on McKinney were interesting. He talked about what a good approach, good eye, good hitter he was, but that he wouldn't have "big" power; but he talked about hitting 20 HR! Seems to me that 20HR, while not perhaps Bryant-esque "big power", is still plenty of power. How many guys hit over 20 HR's? There's only 20 guys who hit 30 HR's last year. A McKinney with 20-HR, with his contact and walks, could be an enormously valuable offensive player.

Other McKinney comment was that after his injury, McLeod didn't think the hard fields in Arizona would be safe for him. So sounds like he'll have a delayed and compromised spring, and presumably a compromised season as a whole.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/162812504 ... n-for-2016

Candelario made #7 for MLB.com's top 10 3B prospects. One of the guys ahead of him, Drury, might be a 2B for the D'Backs and a good one.

Signed for $500,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2010, Candelario more than held his own last season in his first taste of the Double-A level and then opened eyes in the Arizona Fall League, where he ranked among the league leaders in several offensive categories. The 22-year-old switch-hitter makes consistent contact from both sides of the plate, leading scouts to project him to hit for average and power. He has all the necessary tools to stick at third base, including soft hands and above-average arm
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:47 pm

So after graduating Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler and Baez, the Cubs currently still have 4 guys in MLB's top 10 players at their position lists.

Willson Contreras is the #1 ranked catcher.
Ian Happ is the #3 ranked 2B.
Gleyber Torres is the #9 ranked SS.
And Jeimer Candelario is the #7 ranked 3B.

Not bad.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm

CubsWin wrote:So after graduating Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler and Baez, the Cubs currently still have 4 guys in MLB's top 10 players at their position lists.

Willson Contreras is the #1 ranked catcher.
Ian Happ is the #3 ranked 2B.
Gleyber Torres is the #9 ranked SS.
And Jeimer Candelario is the #7 ranked 3B.

Not bad.

Yeah and OF comes out tomorrow, Mckinney could potentially sneak in top 10-20 (idk how deep they go on OF).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 pm

From Law's chat today;

ProBeauNO: What’re your thoughts on Eddy Julio Martinez and Vlad Guerrero Jr.? Either potential impact players?
Klaw: Both, I think. I saw EJM work out, which is not the same as seeing him play in actual games, but if that guy was now entering his third spring of college, assuming he had two years of even adequate performance behind him, we’d be talking about him near the top of this draft.

John: What’s your view on Ian Happ’s chance at sticking at second? Does the bat play enough to be an above-average corner outfielder?
Klaw: I always had him as a 2b going back to I think his sophomore year in college. He’s absolutely agile and athletic enough. And yes, I think it’d play in RF, but that’s a much less valuable outcome.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:34 am

MLB Top 100: Torres at 28, Contreras at 50, Underwood at 77, Almora and McKinney at 86 and 88 respectively....

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163054152 ... s-rankings
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:MLB Top 100: Torres at 28, Contreras at 50, Underwood at 77, Almora and McKinney at 86 and 88 respectively....

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163054152 ... s-rankings

Happ is at 76 too. With the amount of top 100's we've seen from BP and MLB, a top 10 system rank seems certain from those 2. Sickels won't be, in fact I could see us landing outside the top half from him.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Hey was wondering if we were going to do a community list. We could set tighter rules to move it faster (say 24 hours and we move on if there are enough votes) and allow for anyone to start and run it.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah, its time to get that going.
1 x
Spoiler: show

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:53 pm

Jaron Madison wrote:“Absolutely. Guys like Victor Caratini, who caught a big chunk of the innings last year at Myrtle Beach. He was a guy that got off to a little bit of a cold start as far as statistics. But when you went in there you saw the approach, you saw the at-bats and you saw the hard contact right at guys. He was a little bit unlucky early in the year. As the season started to wrap up he kind of broke out and really put together a good campaign. He carried that into Advanced Instructional League and continued to get better as a receiver which is going to be for him probably more important than anything because we know he can hit from both sides of the plate. Now it’s a matter of, can you build the trust with the pitcher? Can you learn how to run a game and slow everything down so that you can help the pitcher and get him through the game?
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:06 am

Thanks for Caratini post, Tom. I heard that interview, nice to see it spelled out exactly. Very positive about the hitting.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:45 am

Motion to change thread title to minor league chit chat thread
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:56 am

Cubs Prospects Chit Chat....Otherwise I'll end up putting a bunch of stuff about other prospects in here.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”