Minor League Musings

Hrubes20
Starter

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.

We all knew they messed up. It was super high-risk/high-reward and they got burned.

I think you could defend the selection at the end of the 1st round, but not with the #9 pick in last year's MLB draft.

This will probably lead to MLB creating a special exception/rule that will allow teams to offer major league contracts to special 2-sport prospects now. At least something good will come out of it (at the A's expense).
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.

We all knew they messed up. It was super high-risk/high-reward and they got burned.

I think you could defend the selection at the end of the 1st round, but not with the #9 pick in last year's MLB draft.

This will probably lead to MLB creating a special exception/rule that will allow teams to offer major league contracts to special 2-sport prospects now. At least something good will come out of it (at the A's expense).

I can't even say it was high-reward. If it would have been a pick outside of their 1st, I could get on board with it as potentially high reward based on draft selection. But at 9 overall, there are other players available with the upside of Murray (which wasn't even that great for me).

But I 100% agree with you on the second part. The rule change will go a long way towards keeping better athletes in baseball going forward.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Tim wrote:Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.

Yeah, so major league contracts were common for the top prospects (and Scott Boras clients) in the draft going back a few years before MLB banned them (for draft prospects). I'm pretty sure Mark Prior signed a major league contract with the Cubs back in 2001 for like $10.5 million. The Cubs also gave one to Jeff Samardzija.

So I guess the plan is that MLB is kinda bringing them back, but there will be some stipulations and probably a cap on the signing bonus/total amount a team could offer. It would look bad if a top 2-sport talent (who is selected further back in the 1st/2nd round) got considerably more than the #1 pick in the same draft.
Last edited by Regular Show on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Tim wrote:Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.

Not only 2 sport guys, but draft prospects in general started getting mlb contracts right out of the chute. They best ones were demanding and receiving them. I remember Dylan Bundy getting an MLB contract as a one sport prep RHP. The owners didn't like how expensive things were getting, so they got rid of permitting MLB contracts to draft picks.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

The Cubs released 11 pitchers on Friday. None of them were really considered a prospect:

Anderson Acevedo - age 25 (Dominican Republic)
Yan de la Cruz - age 25 (Dominican Republic)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF) - age 21 (Dominican Republic)
Hector Alonso Garcia - age 20 (Mexico)
Jose Alejandro Gonzalez (ex-OF) - age 23 (Venezuela)
Ronaldo Lopez (ex-INF) - age 20 (Venezuela)
Junior Marte - age 23 (Dominican Republic)
Enzo Perez - age 18 (Venezuela)
Andry Rondon - age 23 (Dominican Republic)
Freddy Tineo - age 21 (Venezuela)
Sucre Valdez - age 25 (Dominican Republic)

The eleven are mainly older pitchers who have not progressed to the Cubs' satisfaction. In fact none of the eleven ever made it out of short-season ball (only five of the eleven made it as far as Eugene, and another five never even made it out of the DSL).

Gotta figure this is all part of Theo’s Plan to get more innings on arms with more potential to develop their upside and perhaps even break through the ceiling
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Building him up to knock him down later, I suspect:

https://www.mlb.com/news/eloy-jimenez-s ... -304041540

It’s all 21st century Ruths and Generationalz Talentz when they’re super cheap
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”