Minor League Musings

Hrubes20
Starter

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.

We all knew they messed up. It was super high-risk/high-reward and they got burned.

I think you could defend the selection at the end of the 1st round, but not with the #9 pick in last year's MLB draft.

This will probably lead to MLB creating a special exception/rule that will allow teams to offer major league contracts to special 2-sport prospects now. At least something good will come out of it (at the A's expense).
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:Kyler Murray chooses football (or at least is making a public show of it). A's really effed that one up.

We all knew they messed up. It was super high-risk/high-reward and they got burned.

I think you could defend the selection at the end of the 1st round, but not with the #9 pick in last year's MLB draft.

This will probably lead to MLB creating a special exception/rule that will allow teams to offer major league contracts to special 2-sport prospects now. At least something good will come out of it (at the A's expense).

I can't even say it was high-reward. If it would have been a pick outside of their 1st, I could get on board with it as potentially high reward based on draft selection. But at 9 overall, there are other players available with the upside of Murray (which wasn't even that great for me).

But I 100% agree with you on the second part. The rule change will go a long way towards keeping better athletes in baseball going forward.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Tim wrote:Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.

Yeah, so major league contracts were common for the top prospects (and Scott Boras clients) in the draft going back a few years before MLB banned them (for draft prospects). I'm pretty sure Mark Prior signed a major league contract with the Cubs back in 2001 for like $10.5 million. The Cubs also gave one to Jeff Samardzija.

So I guess the plan is that MLB is kinda bringing them back, but there will be some stipulations and probably a cap on the signing bonus/total amount a team could offer. It would look bad if a top 2-sport talent (who is selected further back in the 1st/2nd round) got considerably more than the #1 pick in the same draft.
Last edited by Regular Show on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Tim wrote:Isn't the rule change basically going back to the way it was done before? I could swear I remember a bunch of two sport athletes getting mlb contracts in the past.

Not only 2 sport guys, but draft prospects in general started getting mlb contracts right out of the chute. They best ones were demanding and receiving them. I remember Dylan Bundy getting an MLB contract as a one sport prep RHP. The owners didn't like how expensive things were getting, so they got rid of permitting MLB contracts to draft picks.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

The Cubs released 11 pitchers on Friday. None of them were really considered a prospect:

Anderson Acevedo - age 25 (Dominican Republic)
Yan de la Cruz - age 25 (Dominican Republic)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF) - age 21 (Dominican Republic)
Hector Alonso Garcia - age 20 (Mexico)
Jose Alejandro Gonzalez (ex-OF) - age 23 (Venezuela)
Ronaldo Lopez (ex-INF) - age 20 (Venezuela)
Junior Marte - age 23 (Dominican Republic)
Enzo Perez - age 18 (Venezuela)
Andry Rondon - age 23 (Dominican Republic)
Freddy Tineo - age 21 (Venezuela)
Sucre Valdez - age 25 (Dominican Republic)

The eleven are mainly older pitchers who have not progressed to the Cubs' satisfaction. In fact none of the eleven ever made it out of short-season ball (only five of the eleven made it as far as Eugene, and another five never even made it out of the DSL).

Gotta figure this is all part of Theo’s Plan to get more innings on arms with more potential to develop their upside and perhaps even break through the ceiling
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Building him up to knock him down later, I suspect:

https://www.mlb.com/news/eloy-jimenez-s ... -304041540

It’s all 21st century Ruths and Generationalz Talentz when they’re super cheap
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Noticed this interaction on twitter and decided I'd click through to Bailey's page since he seemed like he could be fun ....

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Brian wrote:

Noticed this interaction on twitter and decided I'd click through to Bailey's page since he seemed like he could be fun ....

You warned me and I still had this reaction immediately when the page loaded.

1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 pm

New Face of the Franchise.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Future Ricketts family email buddy.
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:48 am

Duke Silver wrote:New Face of the Franchise.

You know Tom still probably loves the guy because he went to horsefeathering Duke.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 am

Bailey Clark sucked and always sucked.

——

I’m surprised to find myself willing to be optimistic about both Riley Thompson (as a SP) and Cam Sanders (at all, specifically as a reliever). I don’t hate either’s delivery for the role, obviously need to develop further to reach the potential upside ceiling. Thompson showed aptitude for a changeup with Eugene
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 pm

Welp, here we go again. Oscar De La Cruz looked (sounded) impressive on the radio broadcast of the Cubs first spring training game receiving praise from Len Kasper and the color guy (I think it was Coomer). He sat 96 with movement while hitting the corners with it. He induced weak contact on two of his outs and struckout the first guy he faced for a perfect 9th.

Obviously it's just the first data point, and I'll have to (once again) remain patient to find out the answer I've been waiting now several years to find out. Just who is Oscar De La Cruz and can he live up to his years long hype?

Clearly I want him to succeed, but is it weird that I'd rather he completely flame out than remain an enigma...?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:23 am

CubsWin wrote:Welp, here we go again. Oscar De La Cruz looked (sounded) impressive on the radio broadcast of the Cubs first spring training game receiving praise from Len Kasper and the color guy (I think it was Coomer). He sat 96 with movement while hitting the corners with it. He induced weak contact on two of his outs and struckout the first guy he faced for a perfect 9th.

Obviously it's just the first data point, and I'll have to (once again) remain patient to find out the answer I've been waiting now several years to find out. Just who is Oscar De La Cruz and can he live up to his years long hype?

Clearly I want him to succeed, but is it weird that I'd rather he completely flame out than remain an enigma...?

You always want prospects to succeed, but I have concerns. If I were Theo (or Jed) and Oscar de la Cruz is having a good year I'd have no problem including him in a trade for a reliever. Seriously doubt you'll get burned trading him. You'd probably have to include another good prospect(s) to get a deal done for a good reliever.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:30 am

Cubs: Cole Roederer, OF (Cubs' No. 5)

Roederer earns Andrew Benintendi comparisons for his all-around game, yet lasted 77 picks in the 2018 Draft because he injured his non-throwing shoulder as a high school senior and had a strong commitment to UCLA. With his bat-to-ball skills, quick lefty swing and advanced approach, he could blossom into a .300 hitter with 25 homers on an annual basis.

More Roederer praise/hype from MLB.com, picked as the Cubs prospect we'll be talking about in 2021. My spidey senses are still tingling when it comes to this Richard Gallardo, but he didn't pitch for the Cubs last year...While I'm rooting for Roederer, duh, he sounds like Harper Zero

It's a pretty cool list:

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-to-watch-in-2021

I'm really high on Liberatore (Rays), Parker Meadows (Tigers), Jordyn Adams (Angels), Julio Rodriguez (Mariners), Ronny Mauricio (Mets) already. Then there's a couple guys - Astros, Padres, Rockies, Indians - that are definitely lower profile but already doing really well in pro ball obviously...

Some other prospects that could/should be pretty loud by then:

Alek Thomas (D'Backs), Kevin Alcantara (Yankees), Grant Lavigne (Rockies), Bo Naylor (Indians), Lenny Torres (Indians), Nolan Jones (Indians), Tristen Lutz (Brewers), Dylan Carlson (Cardinals), Elehuris Montero (Cardinals), Nolan Gorman (Cardinals), Malcom Nunez (Cardinals)
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:34 pm

From the latest Longenhagen chat on Fangraphs:
TD: All being very similar in your grades (and all dual threats), who do you see with the most offensive potential of Connor Scott, Cole Roederer, and Jordyn Adams?

Eric A Longenhagen: Adams but Roederer is the safest bet of the three.

That's pretty weird to read because we were pretty high on Connor Scott leading up to last year's MLB draft. The weird part being that Roederer is now the safest out of those three. I'm assuming by offensive upside it would go Adams, Scott and then Roederer.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/why-not-bot ... ing-stats/

Updated THE BOARD! feature so it includes more options now:

Revamped Minor League Leaderboards
    Added the ability to select multiple seasons
    Added the ability to filter by organization
    Added three new league filters: Upper (AAA/AA), Mid (A+/A), and Low Levels (A-/R)
They explain all the changes and options in the link above.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Of the myriad of minor league reliever options, Allen Webster has looked really good thus far in spring training action. Here's AZ Phil's report of his 1st outing...

ALLEN WEBSTER:
FB: 94-97 T-98
SL: 89-91
CH: 88-90
NOTE: Just - Wow! - ... Absolutely electric... power slider combined with high-velocity FB and an occasional CH... FB was hitting 97 consistently and slider was filthy... some command issues during the inning but not uncommon given the quality of the stuff

Now they're just early spring training stats, but so far he's pitched 3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K which in and of itself would be meaningless if not for the glowing report above.

I don't know if he has a clause where he can elect free agency if he's not placed on the 25-man or 40-man roster by a certain date, but he's currently not on the 40-man and is out of options which means he can start in AAA but, if the Cubs bring him up, he can't be sent down without passing through waivers and (I believe) getting Webster's permission to do so. So, basically, once he's up, he's up unless he gets placed on the DL, I'm sorry... IL.

It's an incredibly crowded bullpen picture right now and the Cubs ideally would like to break camp with at least one guy with options who can be sent down when Morrow comes back, but with the Cubs emphasis on urgency, if Webster keeps pitching like this, he's got a shot at not only breaking camp with the team, but becoming a meaningful part of the Cubs bullpen.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 pm

CubsWin wrote:Of the myriad of minor league reliever options, Allen Webster has looked really good thus far in spring training action. Here's AZ Phil's report of his 1st outing...

ALLEN WEBSTER:
NOTE: Just - Wow! - ... Absolutely electric... power slider combined with high-velocity FB and an occasional CH... FB was hitting 97 consistently and slider was filthy... some command issues during the inning but not uncommon given the quality of the stuff

Now they're just early spring training stats, but so far he's pitched 3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K which in and of itself would be meaningless if not for the glowing report above.

I don't know if he has a clause where he can elect free agency if he's not placed on the 25-man or 40-man roster by a certain date, but he's currently not on the 40-man and is out of options which means he can start in AAA but, if the Cubs bring him up, he can't be sent down without passing through waivers and (I believe) getting Webster's permission to do so. So, basically, once he's up, he's up unless he gets placed on the DL, I'm sorry... IL.

It's an incredibly crowded bullpen picture right now and the Cubs ideally would like to break camp with at least one guy with options who can be sent down when Morrow comes back, but with the Cubs emphasis on urgency, if Webster keeps pitching like this, he's got a shot at not only breaking camp with the team, but becoming a meaningful part of the Cubs bullpen.

He's only got 170 days of service time, so if he becomes something he is under control for a full six years, too.
1 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Tim wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Of the myriad of minor league reliever options, Allen Webster has looked really good thus far in spring training action. Here's AZ Phil's report of his 1st outing...

ALLEN WEBSTER:

He's only got 170 days of service time, so if he becomes something he is under control for a full six years, too.

Nice! I'll take that.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 am

Jared Young has made an impression in a few AB's so far. Hope he can prove an option for the OF in the future.
2 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm

So I just actually read MLB.com’s writeup on Richard Gallardo:

The best pitching prospect in the 2018 international amateur class, Gallardo wowed scouts by striking out six of the seven batters he faced at MLB's international showcase in the Dominican Republic that February. The Cubs signed him on the first day of the signing period, giving the Venezuelan a $1 million bonus. He's advanced enough that he could come to the United States for his pro debut this year.

Gallardo offers both projection and polish. He already works at 89-93 mph with his four-seam fastball, and his arm speed and potential to add strength mean that he could throw harder in the future. His curveball has good shape and, like his heater, could become a plus offering as he adds more power.

Gallardo's feel for a changeup and his ability to command his repertoire are unusual for a teenager. He has a clean delivery and repeats it well, which bodes well for his long-term durability. While he's several years away from the big leagues, he has one of the higher ceilings among Chicago's pitching prospects and a better chance to reach it than most of them.

and continue to be extremely impressed by the initial takes. It seems like, had he been a domestic draft prospect, he would be tiered with say a Yovani Gallardo out of HS (2nd rounder, TCU commit) if not a bigger Jose Berrios or maybe even Jose Fernandez. One huge difference would be this is at ages 15-16 rather than the 17-18 a senior in HS would be. There’s alot of growth potential between ages 17-19 for a healthy guy.

I haven’t been this high on a Cubs prospect before their debut since Amaya, who also came in with alot of high praise before getting started. I italicized the parts that most impressed or intrigued, which is basically the whole thing.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 pm

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:07 am

I think this situation will improve for minor league players with the new CBA. It's shameful that the Player's Union doesn't fight harder for minor league players and their compensation. Yes, I know they aren't a part of the Union, but these players help support the game and some eventually do make it. Hopefully, the new CBA finally addresses this problem.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”