Minor League Musings place holder.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 am

Today: https://www.thecubreporter.com/03152018 ... tayed-home

Tennessee: Javier Assad: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
Myrtle Beach: Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 44 pitches (28 strikes)

Ademan went 1/2 with a single, BB, SB and CS. Galindo hit a HR.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm

There were no Cubs in Sickels' top 100. Alzolay (134), Ademan, Lange, and Albertos all made the top 175.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/3/ ... s-for-2018
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 am

Zack Short hit a HR today: https://www.thecubreporter.com/03172018 ... -riverview

TENNESSEE PITCHERS:
1. Kyle Miller: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 6 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 59 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Casey Bloomquist: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3/1 GO/AO, 29 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Jake Stinnett: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)

IOWA PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Zach Hedges: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Preston Morrison: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 22 pitches (18 strikes)
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Encouraging to see clean line for Tseng.

With Maples looking so awful, not sure who else is in the running for options yo-yo, if Simmons is hurt. Does Rosario have any options left, or the big lefty from the Mets system? Or Bass or Alvarez or anybody, in the event they were added to the 25-man?

I'm kinda thinking that *IF* Strop (or Wilson) aren't recovered enough to be ready for opening day, but aren't far off, whether there's an options guy you could carry, just in case, for a week, hopefully not having any extra-inning games or games where Lester gets knocked out in the 2nd, so you don't need to use the guy. But if it's a no-options guy, do you want to expose the guy to waivers after the week? Is that worth it? Or could you occupy that spot with an options guy?
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 am

Wilson was fine yesterday. AZ Phil said he was throwing 96. He can be the wild card.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 am

craig wrote:Encouraging to see clean line for Tseng.

With Maples looking so awful, not sure who else is in the running for options yo-yo, if Simmons is hurt. Does Rosario have any options left, or the big lefty from the Mets system? Or Bass or Alvarez or anybody, in the event they were added to the 25-man?

I'm kinda thinking that *IF* Strop (or Wilson) aren't recovered enough to be ready for opening day, but aren't far off, whether there's an options guy you could carry, just in case, for a week, hopefully not having any extra-inning games or games where Lester gets knocked out in the 2nd, so you don't need to use the guy. But if it's a no-options guy, do you want to expose the guy to waivers after the week? Is that worth it? Or could you occupy that spot with an options guy?

Dario Alvarez has one option year left and Shae Simmons has two, but they also have the right to elect free agency if sent down. Cory Mazzoni, Alec Mills, Luke Farrell and Randy Rosario each have two option years left without the right to elect for free agency. Justin Hancock and Kyle Ryan have options left as well, but I don't know how many.

Anthony Bass and Michael Roth (as well as Chris Gimenez) have no options to work with.

So it appears the Cubs have plenty of guys they could call up without having to risk losing them via waivers if/when they're sent back down.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 am

Bear Cub wrote:Wilson was fine yesterday. AZ Phil said he was throwing 96. He can be the wild card.

Yep, he looks healthy and assuming no setbacks with the blister should be on the opening day roster. I like Butler to break with the team. He pitched really well for the first 3 innings, then fell apart in the 4th. I'd like to see what he can do out of the pen.

Of the guys with options left, Justin Hancock has impressed this spring. Rosario and Baldanado (who I didn't mention in my previous post but am pretty sure has at least one option year left) have each had good outings. Mazzoni has some mid-90s velocity. None of those guys are sure things to perform if they break with the team, but they've got some stuff to work with.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:IOWA PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)

TAKE THAT, REGULAR SHOW
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:45 pm

weis21 wrote:

TAKE THAT, REGULAR SHOW

That's R. Show to you.
7 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:03 pm

CubsWin wrote:Dario Alvarez has one option year left and Shae Simmons has two, but they also have the right to elect free agency if sent down.

I'm almost 100% certain that this is not true. The Cubs can option them freely, but, if the Cubs remove them from the 40-man roster and attempt to send them to the minor leagues "outright", then they can elect free agency. If this comes to pass, they will have proven themselves not good enough to worry about.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:23 pm

weis21 wrote:

TAKE THAT, REGULAR SHOW

Sure thing buddy. Maybe he'll amount to something, but I doubt it. He did stick around longer than Pierce Johnson so that's something lol.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 am

JeffH wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Dario Alvarez has one option year left and Shae Simmons has two, but they also have the right to elect free agency if sent down.

I'm almost 100% certain that this is not true. The Cubs can option them freely, but, if the Cubs remove them from the 40-man roster and attempt to send them to the minor leagues "outright", then they can elect free agency. If this comes to pass, they will have proven themselves not good enough to worry about.

You are correct, sir. If outrighted, they can elect free agency not just if they're sent down. Thank you.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 am

https://www.thecubreporter.com/03202018 ... -riverview

MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-2 (BB, BB, 1-3, K, R, SB)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 3-4 (1B, F-9, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)

MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/5 GO/AO, 34 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 GIDP, 5/3 GO/AO, 56 pitches (36 strikes)

SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
2b. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-2 (P-3, K)
5a. Nelson Velazquez, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3)
10. Christopher Morel, SS: 2-3 (3-1, 2B, 2B)

SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
4. Javier Assad: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/AO, 49 pitches (30 strikes)
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 am

CubsWin wrote:Probably just spreading out catchers because the South Bend group has so many, but it's moderately interesting to note that Henderson Perez ($1.25 million bonus in 2016) is listed amongst the Myrtle Beach catchers while Miguel Amaya is a level below him with the South Bend group. Amaya ($1 million bonus in the same year) was at Eugene while Perez was in the DSL last season.

It could be an acknowledgment that Cubs brass thinks Henderson improved a lot last season (and perhaps over the winter) or it could be random and basically meaningless.

Henderson Perez was sent down from Myrtle Beach to Eugene/Mesa today while Miguel Amaya stayed with South Bend: https://www.thecubreporter.com/03182018 ... mp-rosters
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Any assingment predictions, particularly aggressive ones?

Amaya to South Bend seems a given since he played in Eugene. Does Ademan start off with Myrtle Beach? He seems fine at either A ball assignment as he is still set up to reach AA at 20 next year, probably/possibly for a full season. Thar really would be a big deal if its merit based. Does Velazquez skip Eugene? I doubt it given his swing and miss, plus there's nothing wrong with the track he's on (AA at 22). I definitely believe Lange makes most sense at High A but a December tweet suggested A ball. Albertos will definitely be in full season ball at 19, which is impressive and could be more impressive if he logs 80+ successful innings with periphs like he has been putting up. That's the Carlos Martinez track especially if he sneaks in some High A and sets up AA innings at 20. Filiere is almost definitely going to South Bend, no obvious reason to skip. Fernando Kelli might skip the AZL and play for Eugene, but I think Henderson Perez is definitely with the AZL Cubs this summer. I wouldn't be stunned to see one or both of Gutierrez and Sierra repeat the AZL, especially with two rosters to fill, but hopefully both are with Eugene this summer.

Christopher Morel could be an interesting one. He seems a solid bet to skip the AZL, but does he skip Eugene as well? He spent 2016 stateside but never played a game because of an injury, went to the DSL at 18 last year and led the league in HRs (7). 18 is pretty much the cutoff for a serious prospect candidate in the DSL, historically I think it's just Miguel Tejada to make the MLs playing in the DSL past that age.

Faustino Carrera is another interesting one. He's quietly been the top performing pitcher out of the teenagers in the 2015 IFA class, logging the innings and showing skills. He's also a Best Shape of His Life guy this year, turning some of that baby fat he had at signing into leaner muscle. Does he skip Eugene and sneak onto the South Bend staff? I'm 70/30 on a no, but definitely believe he has a case.

Have we talked about Erich Uelman's potential to become interesting? He looks interesting.
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/RahulSetty_/status/975842673759207424?s=20

Thanks, Cal, that's great news re Adzolay. The difference between him being fine, versus having some significant arm problem, is huge for the system.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Any assingment predictions, particularly aggressive ones?

Amaya ..Ademan .. Velazquez...Lange .. Filiere .. Perez ... Gutierrez ... Sierra ... Morel ...Carrera ... Best Shape of His Life ... Uelman's ...

No aggressive predicting here. But to even be discussing Ademan for Myrtle, or Morel or Velasquez for South Bend, and not have it be ludicrous, is amazingly favorable. Of the names you mention, Morel to South Bend would be maybe the one I'd guess is least unrealistic?

I'm perfectly comfortable with Lange at South Bend. The rep is "big-level college pitcher", but I think he has a lot of development left. I think it makes good sense to place a guy who really has a new pitch to work on at a modest level, so that every mistake doesn't get punished and he give up too soon. Think the Lange who could be a big-league starter in 3-years might win with a much more developed arsenal than he needed at LSU, but it's going to take some time. Don't rush a guy who could become a rotation mainstay.

Keegan Thompson seems like the guy to jump to Myrtle.

I'm very interested in Uelman.

Cory Abbott seems the forgot, less-respected man. Not sure, maybe he'll go straight to Myrtle. But as with Lange, I think despite his college success last year, I think he may have a lot to develop still.

Don't think the Cubs have any need to be aggressive with any of their guys. Big league roster is pretty set, so not much urgency. Perhaps they do feel that trade-game is the thing, and that anybody who shows some young success in full-season is bait. Maybe also that the sooner a pitcher reaches AA, the easier it is to shop him as "almost ready".
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 am

Kevonte Mitchell hit a grand slam, apparently Ricky Tyler Thomas is being stretched out as a starter and Erich Uelmen was pretty good today: https://www.thecubreporter.com/03212018 ... -riverview

RHSP Erich Uelmen (Cubs 2017 4th round draft pick - Cal Poly SLO) hurled four innings of one-run ball with five strikeouts, no walks (72% strikes), and 6/0 GO/AO, and Cam Balego (RBI triple)

SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
3a. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
5. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-4 (E-8, 3-1, K, K, R)
9a. Alexander Guerra, C: 1-2 (L-6, 2B, RBI)

SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 6/0 GO/AO, 53 pitches (38 strikes)

MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-1 (L-1, HBP, SH-E1, BB, R, RBI, SB)
3. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-2 (K, BB, BB, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Wladimir Galindo, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, 4-6-3 DP, K, 1B)
6. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 2-4 (K, 1B, HR, F-8, 2 R, 4 RBI, SB)

MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Ricky Tyler Thomas: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 64 pitches (35 strikes)
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 am

AzPhil wrote:Erich Uelmen had outstanding command AND control today, and he was pounding the bottom of the strike zone with a low 90's FB that he mixed with a decent breaking ball (can't tell if it's a SL or a CV). I also am not sure if he was trying to throw a CH, but if he did it was maybe only once or twice, and the HR was hit off an off-speed pitch that didn't do anything (which could have been a CH).

Alexander Guerra is fairly polished both at bat and behind the plate and he has some HR power (at least he shows it in BP) and what looks (to me) like above-average exit velocity off the bat in games, but he probably could stand to lose a few pounds. I would be surprised if he weighs less than 275. He is a load. He makes Rene Rivera look thin.

From the same link CR just provided.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
AzPhil wrote:Erich Uelmen had outstanding command AND control today, and he was pounding the bottom of the strike zone with a low 90's FB that he mixed with a decent breaking ball (can't tell if it's a SL or a CV). I also am not sure if he was trying to throw a CH, but if he did it was maybe only once or twice, and the HR was hit off an off-speed pitch that didn't do anything (which could have been a CH).

Alexander Guerra is fairly polished both at bat and behind the plate and he has some HR power (at least he shows it in BP) and what looks (to me) like above-average exit velocity off the bat in games, but he probably could stand to lose a few pounds. I would be surprised if he weighs less than 275. He is a load. He makes Rene Rivera look thin.

From the same link CR just provided.

I keep forgetting about this guy. Thanks for posting that.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:40 pm

11:27
Z: With the *possibly* changing landscape to pitch usage at the major league level, has there been any discussion about the way certain amateur players are evaluated? I’m thinking leaning more towards players that might not have a great fastball but can really spin a breaker (maybe Alex Lange?).

11:28
Kiley McDaniel: Been talking to scouts about this recently. I think it’s happening, you’re seeing HS power arms that are athletic with stuff but have a head whack or bad command with good Trackman stuff and teams are just taking them now, where they rarely did in the past. I think Zack Burdi is gonna shove when he gets back from TJ and he should’ve gone higher. Lange and Brendon Little fit that description too. We’ve written about how Madrigal fits the Betts/Altuve/Albies mold of sneaky power…it’s happening as GMs and analytics staffs have more say in draft decisions
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 am

It's debatable whether or not the Cubs will trade away Caratini. On one hand, the Cubs actually have a roster spot waiting for him. A young, switch-hitting catcher with a solid bat and decent defense is valuable commodity. On the other hand, the Cubs are in win now mode, and Caratini is the most major league ready prospect they have. If he hits in AAA like he did last season, come the trade deadline, he could be in demand, and if the Cubs have needs to fill, well, finding a decent back-up catcher isn't the hardest thing to do.

That said, and with tongue firmly planted in cheek, here's the most compelling reason why Caratini will likely be dealt. You can make a pretty decent prospect team out the Cubs players traded away in the last two years, but their starting line up is one position short. A catcher.

1B - Dan Voglebach (25) hitting .391/.509/.848/1.357 this spring, .290/.388/.455/.844 in AAA last year.
2B - Isaac Paredes (19) hit .252/.338/.387/.725 as an 18-year-old in A ball last year.
SS - Gleyber Torres (21) hit .287/.383/.480/.863 as a 20-year-old in AAA last year.
3B - Jeimer Candelario (24) hitting .273/.373/.591/.963 this spring, .330/.406/.468/.874 with the Tigers last year.
OF - Eloy Jimenez (21) hitting .571/.667/1.714/2.381, .312/.379/.568/.947 as a 20 year old in High-A/AA last year.
OF - Jorge Soler (26) OPSing .993 this spring, .267/.388/.564/.952 in AAA last year.
OF - Billy McKinney (23) OPSing .929 this spring, .306/.336/.541/.877 in AAA last year.

P - Dylan Cease (22) 2-0, 0.00 ERA, .143 AVG, 9 Ks in 6.1 IP this spring, 3.28 ERA, .221 AVG, 126 Ks in 93.1 IP in A ball as a 21-year-old last year.

That's not bad. Problem is, Cease doesn't have anyone to throw to. Clearly this means Caratini will have to go.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

CubsWin wrote:It's debatable whether or not the Cubs will trade away Caratini. On one hand, the Cubs actually have a roster spot waiting for him. A young, switch-hitting catcher with a solid bat and decent defense is valuable commodity. On the other hand, the Cubs are in win now mode, and Caratini is the most major league ready prospect they have. If he hits in AAA like he did last season, come the trade deadline, he could be in demand, and if the Cubs have needs to fill, well, finding a decent back-up catcher isn't the hardest thing to do.

That said, and with tongue firmly planted in cheek, here's the most compelling reason why Caratini will likely be dealt. You can make a pretty decent prospect team out the Cubs players traded away in the last two years, but their starting line up is one position short. A catcher.

1B - Dan Voglebach (25) hitting .391/.509/.848/1.357 this spring, .290/.388/.455/.844 in AAA last year.
2B - Isaac Paredes (19) hit .252/.338/.387/.725 as an 18-year-old in A ball last year.
SS - Gleyber Torres (21) hit .287/.383/.480/.863 as a 20-year-old in AAA last year.
3B - Jeimer Candelario (24) hitting .273/.373/.591/.963 this spring, .330/.406/.468/.874 with the Tigers last year.
OF - Eloy Jimenez (21) hitting .571/.667/1.714/2.381, .312/.379/.568/.947 as a 20 year old in High-A/AA last year.
OF - Jorge Soler (26) OPSing .993 this spring, .267/.388/.564/.952 in AAA last year.
OF - Billy McKinney (23) OPSing .929 this spring, .306/.336/.541/.877 in AAA last year.

P - Dylan Cease (22) 2-0, 0.00 ERA, .143 AVG, 9 Ks in 6.1 IP this spring, 3.28 ERA, .221 AVG, 126 Ks in 93.1 IP in A ball as a 21-year-old last year.

That's not bad. Problem is, Cease doesn't have anyone to throw to. Clearly this means Caratini will have to go.

Heck, if you want to go a few years further back, since Paredes and Cease are so far away, we could include prospects (at the time of their trade) LeMahieu and Godley and have a pretty decent major league line up.

2B - LeMahieu (29)
SS - Torres (21)
LF - Jimenez (21)
RF - Soler (26)
3B - Candelario (24)
C - Caratini (24)
1B - Vogelbach (25)
CF - McKinney (23)
SP - Godley (27)

That team may not be going to the playoffs, but they'd win some games and have a bright future. The weakest link is McKinney in CF. I'm sure I'm forgetting people. Have the Cubs traded away a decent CF prospect?
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 am

CubsWin wrote:Heck, if you want to go a few years further back, since Paredes and Cease are so far away, we could include prospects (at the time of their trade) LeMahieu and Godley and have a pretty decent major league line up.

2B - LeMahieu (29)
SS - Torres (21)
LF - Jimenez (21)
RF - Soler (26)
3B - Candelario (24)
C - Caratini (24)
1B - Vogelbach (25)
CF - McKinney (23)
SP - Godley (27)

That team may not be going to the playoffs, but they'd win some games and have a bright future. The weakest link is McKinney in CF. I'm sure I'm forgetting people. Have the Cubs traded away a decent CF prospect?

How could you forget the immortal Tony Campana lol?

0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”