Minor League Musings

Hrubes20
Starter

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

craig wrote:
davell wrote:I'm with Hrubes on Robinson. He's a 91-93 guy who knows how to pitch. He's got 4 or 5 pitches and changes speeds well. He's not Hendricks, but he did go to Dartmouth, at least.

Honestly, its kind of a pet peeve of mine when age gets brought up in relation to where a guys at, when he's only had one full season in the minors. Especially with our group, who aren't exactly quick on promotions. If Robinson and Rucker are in the AA rotation to start off their 2nd full season? That's great, in my mind.....

I'm obviously much higher on Rucker than Robinson too, but I think both definitively deserve full rotation innings over some of that other pure crap competing against them.

Yes. I never meant to insinuate that I prefer Robinson to Rucker. I don't. It's just that I could see where the FO might, based on those things I pointed out. They are both clearly superior to the likes of Kyle Miller, IMO.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Yesterday: https://www.thecubreporter.com/03272018 ... -riverview

SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
2. Fernando Kelli, RF: 1-3 (1-3 SH, 2B, K, 6-3, SB)
7. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, 2B, K, RBI)

SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 6/4 GO/AO, 71 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Ricky Tyler Thomas: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R (6 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1/3 GO/AO, 61 pitches (33 strikes)

MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-4 (F-7,1-3, 4-3, K)
3. Wladmir Galindo, DH: 1-4 (L-8, 6-3, 1B, 5-3)

MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 6/1 GO/AO, 75 pitches (46 strikes)
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Raisin you're a beast. You gonna type out every putout for the season with your recaps?
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Raisin you're a beast. You gonna type out every putout for the season with your recaps?

Only when I'm slammed with work and looking to procrastinate.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:42 am

Luis Diaz has been putting up some nice numbers so far in minor league ST. After his DSL breakout last season, it'll be interesting to see if he starts in Eugene or one of the Mesa teams.

C Jhonny Pereda has looked good thus far especially behind the plate. He threw out 4 of 4 attempted base stealers the other day and has been getting a decent amount of hits.

There's still time for this to change, but according to AZ Phil's latest roster update, Aramis Ademan is still listed with Myrtle Beach and Christopher Morel is listed with South Bend.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:45 am

Roster moves per AZ Phil:

Roster moves Tuesday at Minor League Camp:

CLAIMED OFF WAIVERS: RHP Cory Mazzoni by Los Angeles Dodgers

RELEASED: RHP David Berg, LHP Marc Huberman, RHP Mark Malave, RHP Steve Perakslis, LHP Carson Sands, LHP Tommy Thorpe, C-1B Cael Brockmeyer, 1B-3B Kevin Cornelius, 1B-3B Adonis Paula, and OF Robert Garcia

It's a shame Sands never panned out. That injury was the last straw. Wonder if Brockmeyer will be brought back as a coach/instructor at some point. He was a loyal organizational player whose catching abilities were widely praised.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:47 am

I remember liking the Berg pick at the time, thought he’d move fast and be a average-above average bullpen arm
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:00 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I remember liking the Berg pick at the time, thought he’d move fast and be a average-above average bullpen arm

Yeah me too. He was a submarine or sidearmer right? I thought he would move through the system pretty quickly. I'm not surprised they cut Sands, but it's still disappointing.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 am

That sucks about Berg. He was never the same after his injury in, I wanna say, 2016. He's my favorite college baseball player ever. He was on the mound when UCLA won their only College World Series.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 am

Disappointing velocity.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:49 pm

https://www.thecubreporter.com/03282018 ... rview#more

TENNESSEE LINEUP:
4. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, 1B, 5-3, R)

TENNESSEE PITCHERS:
1. Duncan Robinson: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 5/8 GO/AO, 58 pitches (37 strikes)

IOWA LINEUP:
8a. Charcer Burks, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
8c. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-1 (K)
10. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, R)

IOWA PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:54 pm

CubsWin wrote:Luis Diaz has been putting up some nice numbers so far in minor league ST. After his DSL breakout last season, it'll be interesting to see if he starts in Eugene or one of the Mesa teams.

C Jhonny Pereda has looked good thus far especially behind the plate. He threw out 4 of 4 attempted base stealers the other day and has been getting a decent amount of hits.

There's still time for this to change, but according to AZ Phil's latest roster update, Aramis Ademan is still listed with Myrtle Beach and Christopher Morel is listed with South Bend.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Sierra and Nelson Velazquez have returned to where we expected them to be, Mesa/Eugene. Super impressive if Morel can make South Bend - he'd be skipping the AZL and NWL in his stateside debut and age 19 season.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/billazbbphotog/status/978829190056169472?s=21

Disappointing velocity.

I haven't heard as much about Abbot yet in the minor league recaps. It may just be a matter of him being a bit behind the others. If he's still throwing 89-91 in a few weeks, I'm gonna be disappointed. I am higher on Abbott than I probably should be, but something in my gut is telling me that he will amount to something.

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Luis Diaz has been putting up some nice numbers so far in minor league ST. After his DSL breakout last season, it'll be interesting to see if he starts in Eugene or one of the Mesa teams.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Sierra and Nelson Velazquez have returned to where we expected them to be, Mesa/Eugene. Super impressive if Morel can make South Bend - he'd be skipping the AZL and NWL in his stateside debut and age 19 season.

Wow. That would indeed be impressive. I can't remember the exact injury he had that kept him out of 2017, but I do seem to recall that it was a freak accident of some sort. I may have to google that in a bit.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Morel missed 2016 to an arm laceration.

----

Here's a bunch of random Henderson Perez clips someone took last summer during the DSL:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCEDlsSHXDyo7egEMtMmdtog

That's not a small kid, but I'm a believer in buying big and leaning them out when signing players that young. Sucks he doesn't switch hit anymore, if he ever did, but the Cubs piled up a couple more this previous IFA and one may have been a catcher.
0 x
Spoiler: show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/billazbbphotog/status/978829190056169472?s=21

Disappointing velocity.

I haven't heard as much about Abbot yet in the minor league recaps. It may just be a matter of him being a bit behind the others. If he's still throwing 89-91 in a few weeks, I'm gonna be disappointed. I am higher on Abbott than I probably should be, but something in my gut is telling me that he will amount to something.

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Wow. That would indeed be impressive. I can't remember the exact injury he had that kept him out of 2017, but I do seem to recall that it was a freak accident of some sort. I may have to google that in a bit.

Yeah, some household injury.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:52 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:That sucks about Berg. He was never the same after his injury in, I wanna say, 2016. He's my favorite college baseball player ever. He was on the mound when UCLA won their only College World Series.

I remember you hyping him up. He got off to a good start to his career and then yeah that injury seemed to impact him a lot.

Bummed about Sands too. So Steele is all that's left from that big group of HS arms.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:That sucks about Berg. He was never the same after his injury in, I wanna say, 2016. He's my favorite college baseball player ever. He was on the mound when UCLA won their only College World Series.

I remember you hyping him up. He got off to a good start to his career and then yeah that injury seemed to impact him a lot.

Bummed about Sands too. So Steele is all that's left from that big group of HS arms.

Yeah, I mean you're right but we did trade Cease for something useful. I think Cease will eventually become a relief pitcher. Maybe a dominant relief pitcher.

I don't have high hopes for Steele.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:39 pm

I can't say I was a big fan of that HS group. The upside guy came pre-injured, Steele was a reliever all the way, and Sands was a plodder/unathletic/flat footed at 18.

Between this year's draft and the next wave of teenage arms (Albertos, Assad is 20 but whatever, Marquez, Carrera, Bruzual, Vargas, Serrano, so on) now seems the right time to move past those guys. Baby steps but the pitching in the system is slowly but surely getting more interesting.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 pm

I know we all want pitching, and maybe there just won’t be bats where we pick, but I’d like to grab 2-3 bats with those 5 picks in the top 100 and/or grab some internationally since we are out of the penalty box. Wouldn’t mind just taking one of those pure bats/1B only type guys this year to start preparing for potential life after Rizzo in a few years.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I know we all want pitching, and maybe there just won’t be bats where we pick, but I’d like to grab 2-3 bats with those 5 picks in the top 100 and/or grab some internationally since we are out of the penalty box. Wouldn’t mind just taking one of those pure bats/1B only type guys this year to start preparing for potential life after Rizzo in a few years.

Man you're thinking way too far ahead. We don't need to worry about life after Rizzo for awhile lol.

Also, pure bats/1B only types are a pretty risky demographic for draft picks. Seth Beer is one of those type of prospects if you're into that kind of thing though.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I know we all want pitching, and maybe there just won’t be bats where we pick, but I’d like to grab 2-3 bats with those 5 picks in the top 100 and/or grab some internationally since we are out of the penalty box. Wouldn’t mind just taking one of those pure bats/1B only type guys this year to start preparing for potential life after Rizzo in a few years.

Man you're thinking way too far ahead. We don't need to worry about life after Rizzo for awhile lol.

Also, pure bats/1B only types are a pretty risky demographic for draft picks. Seth Beer is one of those type of prospects if you're into that kind of thing though.

I know it may be a bit early but with those 5 picks I’d be fine trying now. A quick google search and watching some YouTube videos I like what I see on this guy.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Some names for that pool:

Grayson Jenista
John Malcolm
Tristan Casas
Luken Baker
Grant Lavigne (a NE kid)

Seth Beer fits in too with standout plate discipline (146/73 BB/K). Personally, I would prefer a HS kid if you're thinking that far ahead. I really like Malcolm and Casas, there is some shot Malcolm might COF as a pro.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 am

Az Phil with two significant transaction: Morel down to extended (no surprise, but disappointed anyway) and Oscar de la Cruz UP to Tennessee. That's very rare to move up a level. Think that probably is doubly good news: probably reflects that Oscar has impressed in camp, and probably also that the Myrtle guys have stayed healthy and impressed enough that there was pressure, and moving Oscar UP was a better solution than moving Lange or somebody DOWN.

Think that move clarifies those two rotations, by my guessing:

*Tennessee: Alzolay, De la Cruz, Hatch, Clifton, and Robinson. (Would seem to leave Rucker out, by my guesstimation.)

*Myrtle: Lange, Thompson, Moreno, Paulino, Hudson. (I'm very curious how Moreno might look, by the way. Hopeful that he's going to be a breakout guy....)

*South Bend: Albertos, Little, Abbott, Uelmen, Assad. (Would seem to leave Camargo as 6th man, by my valuation....) Not sure how effective some of those guys will actually be (who knows how wild Little might be.....), but that too looks like a really interesting and decent rotation. I can see why they didn't want to relieve Myrtle clutter by sending a Myrtle guy down to join the South Bend rotation, and thought bumping de la Cruz up instead might be better plan....

Other roster note is that Ademan is still there on Myrtle group. May still drop him, but not many days left, and certainly no great pressure from AA-guys to drop down and bump him, just roster-fill org vets there. So no reason to bump Ademan unless they think it would be for his own good.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 am

Phil with another article, a fantastic one.
*Little and Lange were both great today.
*Brady Clark was also good, 97 fastball and hard slider.
*Simmons pitched, much to my surprise.

https://www.thecubreporter.com/03292018 ... -riverview
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:05 am

craig wrote:Phil with another article, a fantastic one.
*Little and Lange were both great today.
*Brady Clark was also good, 97 fastball and hard slider.
*Simmons pitched, much to my surprise.

https://www.thecubreporter.com/03292018 ... -riverview

My goodness, Little had himself a game. 76% strikes, no walks, had his fastball, curve and change working.

Ademan hit a HR too.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”