Minor League Musings place holder.

craig
All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:49 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I definitely believe there's more value in trading Almora than having him sit on the bench the majority of next year. ..... The opportunities to play Almora will be less, and players who can do that job are cheap. That he can start for plenty of teams works in the Cubs' favor when it comes to trade value as well...... What is in his favor is that he's heading into a window (23-25) where power peaks for the vast majority of players:
....but even then playing him sporadically next year is probably not the way to reap the benefits of that.

1. If the Cubs include him in a trade, I'll look forward to what the Cubs get.

2. I don't see many trade targets to use him for, myself.
*The rotation has Hammel #5 and Montgomery #6 under club control. Unless they trade Hammel, I don't really see a present rotation spot.
*Perhaps as more likely than trading Hammel is simply not resigning Fowler.

3. I think Almora's usage next year and behind is interlinked with Fowler. If Fowler ends up back, not that much role for Almora. But if the Cubs don't invest what it takes to keep Fowler, then there is opportunity for Almora.

4. If so, I envision Maddon doing mix-and-match. If Almora hits well, he'll play a lot, as much as his performance deserves. If he doesn't, Heyward can perhaps pick up a lot of CF starts. Almora, Heyward, Zobrist, Bryant, Soler, Schwarber, possibly Coghlan or Szczur, Maddon will have an ample collection to choose from. But without Fowler starting and leading off almost every day, if Almora produces he'll get used.
*If he does hit well enough to stay in the lineup a lot, that will improve an already historically-great defense even further.
*But even if he doesn't, Heyward in center with Bryant or Zobrist in at least one of the corner spots won't be a bad defensive outfield. And could be really good offensively.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:50 pm

davell wrote:Calling him Slappy is just trolling. There's literally zero reason for it.

He's an ideal 4th OF for us. He's very comparable to Javy in SOME ways. He's got holes offensively and he's excellent defensively. Both are going to get time to work thru the holes and both have shown signs of being able to do just that.

We're just as much about run prevention as we are about scoring runs. We love versatility, therefore both guys have lots of chances to get into games.

You're kidding yourself if you think Almora is going to bring back a stud pitcher as the lead piece. You're also cutting seriously into our valued depth if you trade him in a deal where he's NOT the lead piece. He's more valuable to us than he is in a trade. He's got versatility, potential for a decent bat, is excellent defensively, and is cheap as hell. Which becomes super valuable once KB, Addy, and others start to cost real money. In fact, he's set up perfectly, because his skill set isn't even likely to ever make him super expensive.

I really want to keep Dex, use Almora as the 4th OF and trade Soler for whatever the best pitching package he'll bring back. Almora is just a better fit for us than he is. Neither brings us a stud pitcher by themselves. But I've got plenty of confidence that our guys can maximize the return and find a nice fit.

I'd much rather keep Soler than trade him for the crappy pitching return he'd net as a main piece. Our rotation may be getting older but it's still very good for 5 spots deep. And we have internal depth there with Montgomery as injury or insurance if one of them totally bombs (depending on whether or not they keep Hammel for that cheap option they have).
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 pm

David wrote:
davell wrote:Calling him Slappy is just trolling. There's literally zero reason for it.

He's an ideal 4th OF for us. He's very comparable to Javy in SOME ways. He's got holes offensively and he's excellent defensively. Both are going to get time to work thru the holes and both have shown signs of being able to do just that.

We're just as much about run prevention as we are about scoring runs. We love versatility, therefore both guys have lots of chances to get into games.

You're kidding yourself if you think Almora is going to bring back a stud pitcher as the lead piece. You're also cutting seriously into our valued depth if you trade him in a deal where he's NOT the lead piece. He's more valuable to us than he is in a trade. He's got versatility, potential for a decent bat, is excellent defensively, and is cheap as hell. Which becomes super valuable once KB, Addy, and others start to cost real money. In fact, he's set up perfectly, because his skill set isn't even likely to ever make him super expensive.

I really want to keep Dex, use Almora as the 4th OF and trade Soler for whatever the best pitching package he'll bring back. Almora is just a better fit for us than he is. Neither brings us a stud pitcher by themselves. But I've got plenty of confidence that our guys can maximize the return and find a nice fit.

I'd much rather keep Soler than trade him for the crappy pitching return he'd net as a main piece. Our rotation may be getting older but it's still very good for 5 spots deep. And we have internal depth there with Montgomery as injury or insurance if one of them totally bombs (depending on whether or not they keep Hammel for that cheap option they have).

I think he'd net us an interesting enough arm to take the shot. Even if its a Blair or Wisler from Atlanta. Counting on him to stay remotely healthy seems like a mistake and he's bad defensively too. I just think Almora is the better fit for us. But its a solid enough point that we can keep both next year and just let things play out.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:10 pm

I've called him Slappy before and now all of a sudden it's an issue. Making it an issue is just trolling, there's literally zero reason for it.

Yes, Baez and Almora have very general similarities. Getting into specifics, one has a much wider set of skills than the other.

Sure they do value defense and versatility, no one would disagree with that. His versatility is that he can play the OF. Lots of guys can play the OF without ever costing much money. Glove first 4th OFs with below average power and bats don't exactly break the bank.

Yeah - on the trade talk and what I actually said:

There's at least a very good chance they will buy pitching via trade before 2018 and it will likely require more than one player. As nice as it would be to land a top quality talent for a back half top 100 prospects, it's probably not happening that way.

No one said anything about Almora as a lead piece, that's just not my language at all, and Soler probably isn't doing better there either. Even more kidding yourself is thinking Jeimer Candelario and Ian Happ are lead pieces, if we're playing with things neither of us has said.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:12 pm

David wrote:I'd much rather keep Soler than trade him for the crappy pitching return he'd net as a main piece. Our rotation may be getting older but it's still very good for 5 spots deep. And we have internal depth there with Montgomery as injury or insurance if one of them totally bombs (depending on whether or not they keep Hammel for that cheap option they have).

I lean this way too. Soler's periphs got better this year and, at 25 next year, it's not so nuts to imagine he can start hitting HRs and handle a corner if they manage to keep him upright. With Almora you're blowing a fairly valuable trade chip on a 4th OF spot because because. Soler's trade value has to stink right now given his health issues and production shortfalls.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote: - I totally get your point on Baez. My point is that Baez was afforded that patience because he was a much, much better prospect than Almora with a more valuable set of skills. As I already stated - one offers premium power and can play any spot in the IF and was given OF reps by the FO and CS, the other is a light hitting OF who even an arden supporter sees as a below average hitter even at his peak.

- Whatever the reasons were on Baez I'm preaching patience on Almora

- So is it that he can start for most teams in the league and relatively easily put up 3+ WAR or that other GMs need to see more?

- Both. This is the league where it takes Schwarber to get Miller and Inciarte is thrown into a deal for a bad pitcher. Most GMs are dumb and don't value defense.

- There's at least a very good chance they will buy pitching via trade before 2018 and it will likely require more than one player.
As nice as it would be to land a top quality talent for a back half top 100 prospects, it's probably not happening that way.

There are a lot of good prospects in the Cubs MiLB + major league pieces. So which is it? Is Almora the lynchpin to any potential deal or is the light hitting guy who started the year in the back half of your top 10 and didn't do much to distinguish himself this year?

- Yeah, I'm not looking for a Kawasaki nor does that guy have to be a Kawasaki equivalent. If we're regarding that role like that, isn't regulating a slam dunk 3+ WAR starting caliber player in the middle of his prime to the bench basically forcing him into being a CF Kawasaki?

- For 2017, my position on him is the same as it was on Javy in 2015/2016. Maybe is the 3 win player I think he could be by this year maybe he isn't. Let's give him PAs and see. If he forces a bigger role you trade him for a much better price or you move some stuff around and give him a spot. If he fails you missed out on some return. If he's as good as he has been so far this year you've got a real good trade chip and the 2017 offseason to get your SP.

- You're saying peak, tapping into this raw power you see and even given favorable matchups as a part timer, he's below average. I would agree with that, sounds Slappy to me.

- I said in my most recent post .150 by 2017, when he'll have just turned 23 with ~100 MLB PAs under his belt. I'd bet that's not his peak production. And you can spin it any way you'd like if he ends up with a .150+ iso on a substantial number of PAs in 2017 that nickname is going to sound dumb as horsefeathers
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Far from the first time you using Slappy has been mentioned. Even if it was, it still obviously annoys quite a few here, since he's being productive in the majors. Saying things you know irritates multiple people is basically the definition of trolling.

And by the way: He just doesn't like Almora. Its really that simple. He can spin 27 year old defense into a wondrous thing and expect it to continue. But talk about how it declines for ones he doesnt particularly like.Or talk about how power peaks much later for guys he likes than the 23-25 range he used just now on Almora. Basically, its all just BS. Which is honestly just fine. Its a message board and none of us are getting paid to share our opinions. But at least admit it, instead of dismissing others opinions that have as much validity as yours, when you're not even remotely consistent on what you say.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Thrilho wrote:- Whatever the reasons were on Baez I'm preaching patience on Almora

- Both. This is the league where it takes Schwarber to get Miller and Inciarte is thrown into a deal for a bad pitcher. Most GMs are dumb and don't value defense.

There are a lot of good prospects in the Cubs MiLB + major league pieces. So which is it? Is Almora the lynchpin to any potential deal or is the light hitting guy who started the year in the back half of your top 10 and didn't do much to distinguish himself this year?

- For 2017, my position on him is the same as it was on Javy in 2015/2016. Maybe is the 3 win player I think he could be by this year maybe he isn't. Let's give him PAs and see. If he forces a bigger role you trade him for a much better price or you move some stuff around and give him a spot. If he fails you missed out on some return. If he's as good as he has been so far this year you've got a real good trade chip and the 2017 offseason to get your SP.

- I said in my most recent post .150 by 2017, when he'll have just turned 23 with ~100 MLB PAs under his belt. I'd bet that's not his peak production. And you can spin it any way you'd like if he ends up with a .150+ iso on a substantial number of PAs in 2017 that nickname is going to sound dumb as horsefeathers

- Patience for what? You literally have said he can start for most teams in baseball and put up 3+ WAR. What are we waiting on here?

- You mean Inciarte as in the....defensive ace OF? Anyway, convenient that it's both but no, most GMs are not actually stupid and teams will likely value a cheap, ready hitter like Almora just fine.

- Yeah again, no one has called Almora a lynchpin. Candelario and Ian Happ cannot land a signficant pitching talent. If that were actually possible and pitching was so cheap the Cubs would not be biding on the trade market as long as they have.

- This is not a period in time where the Cubs can just hand away free PAs on a whim to see what they've got. The window to dominate is always small, Almora does not have as valuable a skillset to the Cubs as Baez (again, a guy who can play all IF spots and was given ST OF reps with a power bat), and therefore is a less valuable piece to the ML club automatically.

- So your master plan is to give him a free, season long tryout and if he's any good....trade him? See, this continues to not make sense to me.

- You're the optimist on him and are suggesting that, during a peak power season in a player's career, he will still be below average. That's you going out on a limb for him. Again, this is something that strikes me as odd. There's a whole lot of conflicting opinions in your posts here. He can start for most teams and put up 3+ WAR, but also teams are too stupid to see that, won't want him, the Cubs shouldn't start him, and if he matches your hype they should trade him. It's all over the map for a guy who is not a lynchpin player for this organization and whose value is, most likely, best used to set up their pitching situatuon a little better for 2017, 2018, and beyond.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 pm

davell wrote:Far from the first time you using Slappy has been mentioned.

Yes, I said that. Are you even reading my posts or getting mad off the bat?

Even if it was, it still obviously annoys quite a few here, since he's being productive in the majors. Saying things you know irritates multiple people is basically the definition of trolling.

It wasn't, and the only person making it a thing - probably to diverge the whole conversation altogehter that was going just fine and on baseball - is yourself. One other person seems to care at all and I haven't even called him Slappy throughout this whole convo after the initial. Unnecessary distraction that is far more of a troll effort than the one time I called him Slappy today.

He just doesn't like Almora. Its really that simple.

You're imagining some personal emotional thing I have to Almora that is not there. This does absolutely nothing for the conversation. I have nothing against Albert Almora as a person, there is nothing personal about this.

He can spin 27 year old defense into a wondrous thing and expect it to continue.

What does that even mean?

But talk about how it declines for ones he doesnt particularly like.

Numbers?

Or talk about how power peaks much later for guys he likes than the 23-25 range he used just now on Almora.

I provided a link and even the exact graph I was referring to on how power ages. You're upset and trying to make this personal as if you're the reasonable one here. You're not. Show that power peaks later - you can do this without making a scene and going on the attack. Insisting you're right because you say so is not a thing.

Basically, its all just BS.

Again, horsefeathers that takes the conversation no where as you offer litetally nothing to back a single one of your claims. You're not making a point, you're just posting like a guy who is mad he is being disagreed with.

Which is honestly just fine. Its a message board and none of us are getting paid to share our opinions. But at least admit it, instead of dismissing others opinions that have as much validity as yours, when you're not even remotely consistent on what you say.

Yeah, none of this actually applies to me but feel free to take your advice. It took you all off what....three posts to start getting emotional and personal, and I'm the bullshiter here? Stop it already, this was a completely useless post for actual conversation by you that will successfully ruin what was, otherwise, a healthy baseball discussion.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Ok it's cool. I think I've said my piece Almora for now. I came in prior to his big game last night to say some nice stuff about him and ended up feeding my own enjoyment of debate for while. But I think my points have been laid out about as well as I'm going to get them so I'll stop eating up space in the musings thread.

Cheers to all and to all a good Almora playoff run.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Thrilho wrote:Ok it's cool. I think I've said my piece Almora for now. I came in prior to his big game last night to say some nice stuff about him and ended up feeding my own enjoyment of debate for while. But I think my points have been laid out about as well as I'm going to get them so I'll stop eating up space in the musings thread.

Cheers to all and to all a good Almora playoff run.

Appreciate you not letting that snowball and cheers
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 pm

You literally have no reading comprehension at all. Its not worth talking about or cluttering this place up. Please, just don't respond to ANYTHING I post. I swear I'll stay away from your horsefeathers. And I implore the others that hate getting bogged down into arguing with him to do the same. Just ignore him completely. Then a bunch of good minor league discussion that's respectful and actual give and take can go on.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm

davell wrote:You literally have no reading comprehension at all. Its not worth talking about or cluttering this place up. Please, just don't respond to ANYTHING I post. I swear I'll stay away from your horsefeathers. And I implore the others that hate getting bogged down into arguing with him to do the same. Just ignore him completely. Then a bunch of good minor league discussion that's respectful and actual give and take can go on.

Just shut up already with the nonsense, the sanctimonious [expletive] is not necessary. You came in disrespectful for no reason but that you disagree and have these bi-polar emotions about me. If you can't handle it then don't barge in like an horsefeathers cursing and trying to make this stuff personal.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 pm

John Arguello wrote:In his first game action as a Cub, Thomas Hatch sliced through the young lineup like a hot knife through butter. He needed just 22 pitches in 2 perfect innings with 4 of the 6 outs coming via the ground ball. Hatch has a mechanically sound delivery, dealing from a low 3/4 arm slot. The fastball is typically low 90s and he has added some sink, so the ground ball rate was good to see. As you might expect from a pitcher with his lower arm slot, Hatch throws a slider as his primary breaking ball. He has a solid, durable build and the lower effort delivery should help him be an innings eater down the road, especially since he is efficient, throws strikes, and can get quick outs by drawing weak contact.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:12 pm

From BA's daily prospect reports the past couple of days:

Bryant Flete, lf, Cubs. Flete signed with the Cubs in 2012 out of Venezuela but was overshadowed by the international signings that year of Jorge Soler, Juan Carlos Paniagua, Gerardo Concepcion and Oscar de la Cruz. Flete has languished in the system, not advancing above A ball in five seasons and posting a career OPS of .689. But playing in the Venezuelan League Friday, Flete—playing left field rather than his standard shortstop or second base—had two doubles and a home run as Zulia beat Anzoategui 12-11.

Gioskar Amaya, 1b, Cubs. Amaya, who signed out of Venezuela in 2009, is still just 23, although he’s lost the prospect shine he had as the Cubs’ No. 21 prospect in 2012. Amaya is now a multi-positional player—catching and playing the infield—and he played first base on Saturday for Aragua in the Venezuelan League. He had three hits, including a double, in Aragua’s 6-1 loss to Magallanes. Amaya has solid on-base skills and a soft hands.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:56 am

I don't expect Amaya will be that guy, would be nice to be wrong, but I like that the Cubs are showing interest in developing a C/IF util. A guy like that should also be able to spot a corner OF spot. As a team that likes to run with three catchers on the roster and values versatility, I feel like this is the obvious direction to go with that third spot in the long run.

I still don't hate the idea of targeting Austin Barnes of the Dodgers in a small trade for that purpose. I'm not AS into trading for Barnes as I am Dalton Pompey, but I really believe both would make quality bench pieces for a roster like this.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:10 pm

1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Just coming in to post that...He's also worked a walk. The Cubs have the 3-4-5 hitters in Mesa's lineup today. Collectively they are 3/7 with 2 BBs, a HR, 2 RS, and 3 RBIs.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Manuel has Hatch as a 93-94 guy in his draft writeup for the Cubs. He's in the convo for best fastball among their draft picks, the only SP, and is the closest to the majors.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 am

I see that Ryan Kellogg's been working with Driveline Baseball this offseason. First that is good on him, they don't take everyone even among pros. Next that is good on the Cubs since I'm mostly sure that program is in the vicinity of Johnson's program with Vanderbilt as far as strength and conditioning training. It's a pitcher program that gets plenty of love from basically every major baseball pub. Third, it keeps me optimistic that '17 will feature a leap all around for Kellogg.
0 x

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Just needed something to take my mind of the current goings on. And I know there was a Rule 5 thread or a discussion somewhere, but I'm just going to update it.

RULE 5 DRAFT:

John Andreoli, OF
Pedro Araujo, RHP
Jeffrey Baez, OF
Yasiel Balaguert, 1B
Corey Black, RHP
Paul Blackburn RHP (traded)
David Bote, INF
Cael Brockmeyer, C
Stephen Bruno, INF
Victor Caratini, C
Ben Carhart, INF
Roberto Caro, OF
Erick Castillo, C
Jesus Castillo, RHP (traded)
Josh Conway, RHP
Rashad Crawford, OF (traded)
Taylor Davis, C-1B
Andin Diaz, LHP
Greyfer Eregua, RHP
Luiz Escanio, RHP
Bryant Flete, INF
Scott Frazier, RHP
Robert Garcia, OF
David Garner, RHP
Jake Hannemann, OF
Luis Hernandez, RHP
Erick Leal, RHP
Danny Lockhart, INF
Mark Malave, RHP (ex-C)
Dillon Maples, RHP
Trey Martin, OF
Jonathan Martinez, RHP
Ryan McNeil, RHP
Alberto Mineo, C
Jose Paniagua, 1B-OF
Juan Carlos Paniagua, RHP
Adonis Paula, INF
Jose Paulino, LHP
Carlos Penalver, INF
Steve Perakslis, RHP
Chris Pieters, 1B-OF (ex-LHP)
James Pugliese, RHP
Bijan Rademacher, OF
Will Remillard, C
Armando Rivero, RHP
Alexander Santana, RHP
Tyler Skulina, RHP
Daury Torrez, RHP
Duane Underwood Jr, RHP
Michael Wagner, RHP
Rob Zastryzny, LHP* (rostered)

Duane Underwood and Victor Caratini are almost certain to be rostered. Rademacher stands a decent chance too. He definitely fits the Guyer/Bour mold, in that it wouldn't surprise me to see him as a productive big leaguer, and would potentially pine for if not for a roster full of better players. But if a roster spot's available, may as well.

Corey Black, Armando Rivero, Daury Torrez, and Juan Paniagua each have as much chance of being selected as not, and probably have as much chance of making it through the season on a big league roster as not. Rivero's the most intriguing of the bunch, but as I've been saying about him, as consistent as his minor league numbers have been for us, the fact that he's yet to be mentioned as a possibility for a call up suggests that he's simply not that good.

Dillon Maples, Josh Conway, Ryan McNeil, Pedro Araujo: Someone with a Roster space to spare and a Rule 5 burning a hole in their pocket could take a chance. But I'll assume that there will be about 100 guys just like them available in the rule 5. On a side note, I hate that I cling to hope for Maples as a raw, high ceiling, prospect, despite the fact that he's 24, never having sniffed AA, and not particularly impressed at any level.

2016 MLB RULE 55 SECOND CONTRACT PLAYERS:

Luis Aquino, RHP (previously released by CLE)
Aaron Crow, RHP (previously non-tendered by MIA - Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Elvis Diaz, RHP (previously released by BAL)
Jack Leathersich, LHP (previously non-tendered by CUBS)
Brian Matusz, LHP (previously released by ATL)
Miguel Mejia, RHP (previously released by DET)
Drew Rucinski, RHP (previously released by CLE)
Nick Sarianides, RHP (previously released by AZ)
NOTE: RHP Cole Brocker (previously released by ATL), RHP Yan de la Cruz (previously released by HOU), RHP Miguel Estevez (previously released by CIN), and RHP Robert Severino (previously released by SEA) are Rule 55 Second Contract Players, but they are not eligible for selection in the 2016 Rule 5 Draft.

I would very much like to hang onto Crow and Learhersich, at least through ST.

Additionally, any player eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 Six-Year Minor League Free-Agent (6YFA) post-2016 who signs a 2017 minor league contract or a 2017 minor league successor contract prior to the December 2016 Rule 5 Draft will be eligible for selection, and any player eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 Second Contract Minor League Free-Agent post-2016 who signs a 2017 minor league contract or a 2017 minor league successor contract prior to the December 2016 Rule 5 Draft will be eligible for selection if the player was 18 or younger on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract and it is at least the 5th Rule 5 Draft following his first qualified season, and a minor league player who was 19 years or older on the June 5th immediately prior to signing his first contract becomes eligible for selection starting with the 4th Rule 5 Draft following his first qualified season.

POST-2016 RULE 55 SIX-YEAR MINOR LEAGUE FA: There is nobody in this group that I am concerned about.
Gioskar Amaya, INF-C
Jeffry Antigua, LHP
Scott Barnes, LHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Frank Batista, RHP
Jake Buchanan, RHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Kelly Dugan, 1B-OF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Tim Federowicz, C (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Stephen Fife, RHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
David Freitas, C
Ryan Kalish, OF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Matt Murton, OF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Kristopher Negron, IF-OF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Manny Parra, LHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Felix Pena, RHP
Joel Peralta, RHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Starling Peralta, RHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Juan Carlos Perez, OF-IF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
C. J. Riefenhauser, LHP (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
Jose Rosario, RHP
Logan Watkins, INF (Article XX-D player - can elect free-agency if drafted & then later re-claimed by Cubs)
1 x
We won the World Series.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Equally huge news, obviously:

"Just the frame," McLeod said of his initial impression of Jimenez. "You could see it already, how tall he was, the length to his arms. He just had one of those big, physical body types, but there was also a lot of strength in the swing. And beyond the body, he had a good idea at the plate. He wasn't just trying to lift balls out and hit bombs to left field over and over. There was a presence to the approach that you don't see from kids that age."

"From when I had him as a manager in the Arizona League in 2014 to what he's done this year, he's a totally different player," said South Bend skipper Jimmy Gonzalez. "He could make all the plays. He controlled his body. He had an approach. He matured mentally. He understood how they attacked him. He allowed himself to study and make adjustments. Yes, it's low-A ball here, but not many 23-year-olds did what he was able to do.

"Big guys like him, you normally see a lot of strikeouts," Gonzalez said. "Now, he had his fair share of strikeouts, but he struck out less than you'd expect. He knew he had power, but he still had a good two-strike approach. The way he was able to take the ball to right field when they pitched him like that, you don't see a lot of that at this level, and he maintained it all year. Then because of his power, sometimes those hits out to right would go for doubles or even homers. Once he had the approach down, everything took care of itself."

"After his Futures Game experience, I talked to him and he was saying, 'Man, when I was coming into the game and walking to the outfield, I looked up and saw the third deck and that was amazing,'" McLeod said. "I think he had that same experience with the Minor League award we gave him in our last series against St. Louis. Just looking up and seeing what it's all about. When it's game time, he does a good job of quieting all that noise. But afterward, I think he's realizing, 'Wow, I am one of the best young players in the game.'"
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:52 am

Anyone thought about their personal top 30 for this system? I haven't, but I just looked at Isaac Paredes' season again along with Eloy's AFL and thought about thinking about it. Getting there, I guess!
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:12 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Anyone thought about their personal top 30 for this system? I haven't, but I just looked at Isaac Paredes' season again along with Eloy's AFL and thought about thinking about it. Getting there, I guess!

I was going to throw together something just horsefeathers and giggles but damn even the top 10 is going to be hard to put together this year without really going over somethings. The only slot you can't argue is #1.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”