Minor League Musings place holder.

texascub
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby texascub » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 pm

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I noticed today that Jacob Hanneman and Corey Black are playing for Cangrejeros de Santurce in the Puerto Rico winter league.

Their team has only played 7 games. Black has earned 2 saves in 4 games, Hanneman has only gone 2-25 so far.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Manuel has Hatch as a 93-94 guy in his draft writeup for the Cubs. He's in the convo for best fastball among their draft picks, the only SP, and is the closest to the majors.

Thanks, Tom. Obviously they always list the top end. So probably a 93-94 guy will routinely be working 88-91. Still, it seems the reports have enough velocity to pitch with. It's usually going to location and movement that get guys out more than pure speed. And in all of the scouting stuff, it was much more for his control and pitching than his raw velocity that give Hatch his value. So, if his velocity is his weakest quality, and that's still 93-94, I think you've certainly got a guy with a chance to be a very effective pitcher. Will be fun to see how he does next season. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't have pretty good success at Myrtle.

In terms of "best fastball", I think Brady Clark will certainly be faster, among the new selections. Faster is one thing; "better" is another. Will be fascinating to see how next season plays out for those two guys.

With you, Tom, I'll be a little disappointed if Hatch doesn't start out at Myrtle, and have good success. For Clark, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't pitch well enough at South Bend to pitch his way up to Myrtle by some point during the season.

I may be wrong on those, though. Cubs have seemed to avoid moving guys too much during their first full pro season. And have also sometimes surprised me by starting guys lower than I expected. Regardless, really hope both of those guys have the health, and velocity, and effectiveness next season so that twelve months from now both will look like guys who will have useful major-league careers.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:07 pm

MiLB's Cubs org All Stars (regardless of age or prospect status):

First Base: Yasiel Balaguert (Myrtle Beach)
Second Base: Ian Happ (Tennessee)
Third Base: Jeimer Candelario (Iowa)
Shortstop: Gleyber Torres* (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Donnie Dewees (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Eloy Jimenez (South Bend)
Outfield: John Andreoli (Iowa)
Designated Hitter: Dan Vogelbach* (Iowa)
LH Starting Pitcher: Ryan Kellogg (SB)
RH Starting Pitcher: Preston Morrison (SB)
Reliever: Ryan McNeil (Myrtle Beach)

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb

----

Craig, I think year one generally is most about getting the player under a training and conditioning program specific to them.
0 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 pm

craig wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Manuel has Hatch as a 93-94 guy in his draft writeup for the Cubs. He's in the convo for best fastball among their draft picks, the only SP, and is the closest to the majors.

Thanks, Tom. Obviously they always list the top end. So probably a 93-94 guy will routinely be working 88-91. Still, it seems the reports have enough velocity to pitch with. It's usually going to location and movement that get guys out more than pure speed. And in all of the scouting stuff, it was much more for his control and pitching than his raw velocity that give Hatch his value. So, if his velocity is his weakest quality, and that's still 93-94, I think you've certainly got a guy with a chance to be a very effective pitcher. Will be fun to see how he does next season. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't have pretty good success at Myrtle.

In terms of "best fastball", I think Brady Clark will certainly be faster, among the new selections. Faster is one thing; "better" is another. Will be fascinating to see how next season plays out for those two guys.

With you, Tom, I'll be a little disappointed if Hatch doesn't start out at Myrtle, and have good success. For Clark, I'll be disappointed if he doesn't pitch well enough at South Bend to pitch his way up to Myrtle by some point during the season.

I may be wrong on those, though. Cubs have seemed to avoid moving guys too much during their first full pro season. And have also sometimes surprised me by starting guys lower than I expected. Regardless, really hope both of those guys have the health, and velocity, and effectiveness next season so that twelve months from now both will look like guys who will have useful major-league careers.

Bailey Clark. Brady Clark was the Chris Denorfia of his time.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:41 am

THT wrote:The top 10 careers by bWAR+, scouting directors with four or more years in the role:

Bill Lajoie – 258.9

Joe McIlvaine – 234.4

Logan White – 184.9

Mickey White – 172.4

Kris Kline – 164.3

Mike Rizzo – 159.1

Jason McLeod – 157.8

Roger Jongewaard – 154.5

Tom Allison – 152.8

Mel Didier – 152.2

And the top 10 by players per year:

Jeff Luhnow – 8.14

Tom Allison – 8.00

Jason McLeod – 7.20

Bill Gayton – 7.11

Terry Ryan – 6.80

Brian Sabean – 6.71

Dick Bogard – 6.40

Matt Nerland – 6.38

Gary Hughes – 6.30

Bob Engle – 6.20
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:35 pm

The Cubs have added right-hander Jose Rosario to their 40-man roster and re-signed righty Nick Sarianides and catcher Gioskar Amaya to minor league contracts. The 26-year-old Rosario has been with the Cubs throughout his professional career, which began in 2009, and logged a combined 2.50 ERA, 7.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 at three minor league levels in 2016. Sarianides, formerly with Cleveland and Arizona, threw 25 innings with the Cubs’ Double-A affiliate this year and put up a 3.60 ERA, 10.08 K/9 and 3.24 BB/9. Amaya, 23, has hit .274/.356/.388 in seven seasons with various Cubs minor league affiliates.

Also, did a double take with this one:

The Padres have signed righties Trey McNutt and Bryan Rodriguez to minors contracts.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:13 am

Cubs add 4 to 40-man:
Leathersich
Caratini
Hannemann
Underwood
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:55 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:MiLB's Cubs org All Stars (regardless of age or prospect status):

First Base: Yasiel Balaguert (Myrtle Beach)
Second Base: Ian Happ (Tennessee)
Third Base: Jeimer Candelario (Iowa)
Shortstop: Gleyber Torres* (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Donnie Dewees (Myrtle Beach)
Outfield: Eloy Jimenez (South Bend)
Outfield: John Andreoli (Iowa)
Designated Hitter: Dan Vogelbach* (Iowa)
LH Starting Pitcher: Ryan Kellogg (SB)
RH Starting Pitcher: Preston Morrison (SB)
Reliever: Ryan McNeil (Myrtle Beach)

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb

----

Craig, I think year one generally is most about getting the player under a training and conditioning program specific to them.

Catcher? Caratini?
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/burkhar ... ts-2017/2/

Some fairly detailed reports with sometimes interesting scouting observations, or input from his Cubs sources

de la Cruz: "The changeup has improved since last year, and he’s recently added a slider" "...The motion is about as low-effort as it gets and features a clean, flowing arm action with extension from his mid-three-quarters release point. .....his arm can drag when pitching out of the windup....."

Hatch: "sitting 94-96 mph with life and sink at instructs while flashing a plus slider". (I didn't think Fleita worked for the Cubs anymore...) "Cubs believe that ... if not for the injury in 2015, he may have been a first-round pick"
0 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:01 am

craig wrote:http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/burkhart-chicago-cubs-top-15-prospects-2017/2/

Some fairly detailed reports with sometimes interesting scouting observations, or input from his Cubs sources

de la Cruz: "The changeup has improved since last year, and he’s recently added a slider" "...The motion is about as low-effort as it gets and features a clean, flowing arm action with extension from his mid-three-quarters release point. .....his arm can drag when pitching out of the windup....."

Hatch: "sitting 94-96 mph with life and sink at instructs while flashing a plus slider". (I didn't think Fleita worked for the Cubs anymore...) "Cubs believe that ... if not for the injury in 2015, he may have been a first-round pick"

Craig, maybe Hatch is sitting in an automobile.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
Starter

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:52 am

Hannemann was so raw and old and we gave him a million bucks. Still waiting on that Elsbury potential they must have seen in him. But I'm a huge skeptic there.

I like Rademacher. Great approach at the plate. He will be a Major Leaguer and probably one of those late blooming types but I think he will carve some kind of niche for himself.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:04 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Hannemann was so raw and old and we gave him a million bucks. Still waiting on that Elsbury potential they must have seen in him. But I'm a huge skeptic there.

Ellsbury comps for Hannemann were always hokey. That player does not fall to the 75th pick in the draft. Hannemann's speed and defense could get him to the majors and he made some real improvements at the plate last year by cutting Ks, walking more, and hitting more HRs. I like him as a 5th OF if he hits next year.

---

Maybe it's just the contrarian in me, but I have gone from the high guy on de la Cruz to thinking he is the most overrated prospect in the system. He's a step up from Underwood last year as the overhyped pitcher, at least he has decent enough periphs, but still lacks the upside I think he gets tagged with. He's a big guy, but it takes more than that to be a guy who can get tabbed a potential workhorse. He's about to enter his fifth pro season with <200 pro IP under his belt and missed most of this past one to arm issue. I see neither a potential workhorse nor a first division three on paper so far. There's some walks, some HRs, significant time missed for an arm issue...For me his ceiling right now looks more like a 150-180 IP BOR SP that can miss bats but will give up some walks and HRs as well, and he is not very close to that ceiling yet either.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:05 pm

What ever happened to Stephen Bruno?

I always thought he was a guy who could pop up out of nowhere at like 27 and have some competent big league seasons as a hitter.

Well, damn, he's already 26.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:04 pm

David wrote:What ever happened to Stephen Bruno?

I always thought he was a guy who could pop up out of nowhere at like 27 and have some competent big league seasons as a hitter.

Well, damn, he's already 26.

Lost a lot of time the last few seasons to injury.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:40 pm

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:27 pm

his swing is IDENTICAL, that's hilarious
1 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:38 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:his swing is IDENTICAL, that's hilarious

First thing I noticed to, it's an exact spot on match. I hope he has his Dad's plate coverage because watching Vladdy bat was always fun. HR possibilities from his chin to his toes.
1 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:43 pm

2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Soler not hustling? That is unfathomable
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Strength in the draft HS Pitchers, horsefeathers that and horsefeathers them. Hopefully we pick something different.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:36 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Strength in the draft HS Pitchers, horsefeathers that and horsefeathers them. Hopefully we pick something different.

The report did use the word "depth" instead of "strength". Read what you will into that.

I agree I'd prefer the Cubs not take a high school pitcher with both of their 1st round picks (at the moment I believe they're 27 and 30). But if there truly is good depth at that position, I wouldn't be against getting some in rounds 3 through 6.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:32 pm

You guys are smarter and better informed, so I may be way off. But I'm not familiar with what the historical studies show for college pitchers vs HS pitchers versus players in the 27-30 range of the draft. I thought the outcomes were fairly interchangeable, statistically? (Specifically for that area of the draft, not just "first round" picks whose overall data in favor of players is heavily skewed by the top end of the first, and may not be at all representative of the back end of the round.)

I don't have an inherent problem with taking a HS pitcher there (or two). If the Cubs do so, I'll actually be pretty intrigued and excited about it. The Cubs certainly will know the statistics/history/risks associated. If they see the potential reward justify taking pitcher(s), I am very comfortable in trusting their judgement.

Sure, pitchers can get injured and fail as a result. But players who have gone unchosen through 26 picks usually have talent limits and flaws enough to limit their likely success or odds of becoming highly valuable. Hitting big-league pitching, and doing so with power, is incredibly difficult. So there aren't safe, low-risk stars-to-be hanging out at 27/30. Maybe the risk/reward balance is not inherently anti-pitcher. (Not like in the top-5.)

We can have all the sophisticated awareness that pitchers get hurt and TINSTAPP, but championship teams still end up having good pitching. The Cubs rotation was great. They built that rotation with $$ (three FA starters), and long-shots that worked out despite almost overwhelmingly unfavorable odds (Arrieta and Hendricks.)

In the current model they could just buy pitchers (Lester, etc.) in large part because they didn't have $$ expenses on players. That may change, as the players become increasingly expensive. Likewise we've seen that the trade-price for *GOOD* young pitchers is very high. Cubs may have to just gamble that they can draft/develop smart/lucky, and be able to convert 27/30 level picks into talented arms that work out and stay healthy.

And even if you're going to trade your 27/30 picks for pitching, that may perhaps be best accomplished if they are talented, unbroken, promising young pitchers that we have to use in trade.

Again, I'm not saying they should draft pitching, or HS pitching in particular, with their firsts. But if they do, certainly won't assume that they were unwise and that the Cubs were too dumb to assess the risks.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 am

0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Wonder how long that's been affecting him? Maybe he's been slow and bad for a while because of that, and perhaps after the surgery he might recover some of the velocity they reported/projected for him when they drafted him?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 am

Found this note on CCO:

CCO wrote:Flying under the radar for fans, Ryan Kellogg has impressed the scouts. A fifth round pick in 2015, the 6-foot-5 left-hander quietly went about his business and was second in the Midwest League in WHIP and sixth in ERA. Kellogg led the Low-A South Bend staff in starts and innings, and was 9-7 with a 3.03 ERA, 1.079 WHIP and had 107 strikeouts in 130.2 innings. The 22-year old Canadian has a low-90s fastball, a curve and a changeup.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”