Minor League Musings place holder.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:29 am

https://www.thecubreporter.com/04022018 ... rview-park

Starters who were left behind by their full-season team so they can get in some work. Looks like that means Hatch, Abbott and Farrell will be slated to start Saturday.

SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Thomas Hatch: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/3 GO/AO, 75 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Cory Abbott: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 67 pitches (46 strikes)

SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Luke Farrell: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR, 2/7 GO/AO, 78 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 5 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (33 strikes)

Arizona Phil added this note on where Alzolay is:

Alzolay will probably need at least one more EXST start beyond today before he is ready to join the Smokies
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 am

AzPhil:

"Abbott racked up eight strikeouts in just 4+ innings today. His slider was really cookin'....
[Abbott, Uelmen, and Thompson] have similar low 90's FB velo (90-92 T-93). Thompson is all about command, first-pitch strikes, pitching from ahead in the count, and then working a hitter by mixing his pitches and changing eye-level, Uelman gets good sink on his FB and keeps everything down (he has all the ear-marks of an extreme groundball pitcher), and Abbott uses his FB (and CH) to set-up his wipe-out slider (which comes & goes from outing-to-outing at this point). I would say Abbott probably has the highest-ceiling of the three, Thompson has the highest floor (which is probably fairly obvious since he's already at Myrtle Beach), and Uelmen is somewhere in-between."

He also said that Vasquez, the teenage SS they drafted from Puerto Rico, hit a HR, has broad shoulders, and projects decent/solid power for a SS. Said he's had a good camp. (He lists 6'1 185). BA was pretty positive about his defense. So might be a guy to watch for. I hadn't recalled him being that tall. He didn't hit much last summer.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:40 am

craig wrote:AzPhil:

"Abbott racked up eight strikeouts in just 4+ innings today. His slider was really cookin'....
[Abbott, Uelmen, and Thompson] have similar low 90's FB velo (90-92 T-93). Thompson is all about command, first-pitch strikes, pitching from ahead in the count, and then working a hitter by mixing his pitches and changing eye-level, Uelman gets good sink on his FB and keeps everything down (he has all the ear-marks of an extreme groundball pitcher), and Abbott uses his FB (and CH) to set-up his wipe-out slider (which comes & goes from outing-to-outing at this point). I would say Abbott probably has the highest-ceiling of the three, Thompson has the highest floor (which is probably fairly obvious since he's already at Myrtle Beach), and Uelmen is somewhere in-between."

He also said that Vasquez, the teenage SS they drafted from Puerto Rico, hit a HR, has broad shoulders, and projects decent/solid power for a SS. Said he's had a good camp. (He lists 6'1 185). BA was pretty positive about his defense. So might be a guy to watch for. I hadn't recalled him being that tall. He didn't hit much last summer.

That's the best velocity readings I've read on Thompson since his freshman year before he blew his elbow out.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:49 pm

The Cubs signed their largest framed 16-17 YO switch hitter yet in Josue Fernandez. He's listed at 6'3" 180:

http://m.mlb.com/player/679596/josue-fernandez

He signed in February this year, might be the youngest player in the org.

Cubs seemed to have gone for size among last year's younger IFA bats. Luis Verdugo (another switch hitter) was 6'2". A 17 YO OF, Kelvin Hidalgo, is listed at 6'3". Guerra the C isn't tall but he is listed at 240 pounds. 17 YO Cuban 3B/OF Kevin Moreno is 6'2". Carlos Morfa is listed at 6'2"....Only two IFs and two OFs below 6' and all are listed at 5'11" on TCR...Hopefully someone hits! Maybe even more than one!
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am

https://www.thecubreporter.com/04032018 ... -riverview

Oscar de la Cruz’ final tuneup before the regular season: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 2 WP, 2/9 GO/AO, 78 pitches (56 strikes)

I’ll get Thursday’s opening day game thread up Wednesday evening.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:48 am

https://www.thecubreporter.com/04042018 ... rview-park

Iowa Cubs RHSP Duane Underwood Jr hurled 6.2 IP of two-hit shutout baseball, Henderson Perez belted a two-run HR, and Christopher Morel smacked a solo HR, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Wednesday morning on Field #6 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

The Morel HR was hit halfway to Scottsdale.

Jeremiah Estrada: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 am

Nice info from AZ Phil:

If you're talking just about position players (currently at extended spring training and not on a full season roster), nobody makes harder contact than Christopher Morel. I can close my eyes during BP and tell you when Morel is hitting because it sounds like a rifle shot. He has been playing both SS and 3B at Minor League Camp (for example, he played 3B yesterday and SS today) and handles himself well at both spots. He has a high ceiling, and is probably a Cubs Top 15 prospect right now.

Miguel Amaya, Henderson Perez, and Jonathan Soto are the next wave of Cubs top catching prospects. M. Amaya is already at South Bend, while H. Perez and Soto will be at Extended Spring Training. M. Amaya is clearly a Cubs Top 15 prospect right now, but it is possible that H. Perez or Soto could jump AZL and end up at Eugene (as happened with M. Amaya last year). H. Perez is more-polished but Soto probably has the higher-ceiling (more like M. Amaya).

A couple of players you don't hear much about are 2B Luis Diaz and OF-1B Abraham Rodriguez, probably because both are "bat-first" guys (A. Rod is a train-wreck in the outfield). Both of them consistently drill hard-contact line-drives foul-line-to-foul-line.

A. Rodriguez missed the 2017 season after undergoing surgery for a torn labrum in his left (throwing) shoulder, but he is starting to get some lift in his swing, and could become a very interesting hitting prospect later this season (probably in the AZL, but maybe at Eugene).

L. Diaz is a bit stiff defensively and so 2B is probably his best-position going forward (as opposed to elsewhere in the infield). While he appears (right now) to be perfectly adequate at 2B, an eventual move to LF is possible (presuming he hits enough to play a corner OF slot). Like A. Rodriguez, L. Diaz could skip AZL and go directly to Eugene depending on how things go for him at Extended Spring Training.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 pm

CubsWin wrote:Nice info from AZ Phil:

If you're talking just about position players (currently at extended spring training and not on a full season roster), nobody makes harder contact than Christopher Morel. I can close my eyes during BP and tell you when Morel is hitting because it sounds like a rifle shot. He has been playing both SS and 3B at Minor League Camp (for example, he played 3B yesterday and SS today) and handles himself well at both spots. He has a high ceiling, and is probably a Cubs Top 15 prospect right now.

Miguel Amaya, Henderson Perez, and Jonathan Soto are the next wave of Cubs top catching prospects. M. Amaya is already at South Bend, while H. Perez and Soto will be at Extended Spring Training. M. Amaya is clearly a Cubs Top 15 prospect right now, but it is possible that H. Perez or Soto could jump AZL and end up at Eugene (as happened with M. Amaya last year). H. Perez is more-polished but Soto probably has the higher-ceiling (more like M. Amaya).

I'm really looking forward to following this guy. This is ambitious, but I think Amaya could be our best prospect in a few years. I really like the scouting reports and hope the Cubs don't rush him. It takes a while for catching prospects to develop.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 pm

At 19.5, Aramis Ademan is the second youngest player in the Carolina League.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ening-day/
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:02 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:At 19.5, Aramis Ademan is the second youngest player in the Carolina League.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ening-day/

Time to call your baseball stock broker and buy San Diego Padres futures.

Among the youngest prospects at every level:

PCL - AAA
2. Luis Urias, El Paso (SD) 20.8

Texas League - AA
1. Fernando Tatis, San Antonio (SD) 19.2
4. Josh Naylor, San Antonio (SD) 20.8
5. Logan Allen, San Antonio (SD) 20.9

California League - High A
1. Eguy Rosario, Lake Elsinore (SD) 18.6
2. Adrian Morejon, Lake Elsinore (SD) 19.1
3. Hudson Potts, Lake Elsinore (SD) 19.4
4. Kelvin Melean, Lake Elsinore (SD) 19.6

Midwest League - Low A
1. Justin Lopez, Fort Wayne (SD) 17.9
2. Tirso Ornelas, Fort Wayne (SD) 18.1
3. Gabriel Arias, Fort Wayne (SD) 18.1
4. Jeisson Rosario, Fort Wayne (SD) 18.4

6 prospects in MLB's top 50 plus the top 4 youngest players in the Cal League and the MWL. That's fairly impressive...
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:20 pm

The cubs have released Joe Martarano: https://www.thecubreporter.com/04162018 ... -martarano
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Arizona Phil's updated Extended Spring Training roster confirms Erling Moreno is down in Arizona rehabbing (specific injury not listed): https://www.thecubreporter.com/04172018 ... roster#new

Also none of the top Mexican pitchers signed in the most recent IFA class (Florencio Serrano, Saul Vazquez and Manuel Espinoza) are in Mesa, though the top two position players are (Luis Verdugo and Reivaj Garcia).
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Arizona Phil's updated Extended Spring Training roster confirms Erling Moreno is down in Arizona rehabbing (specific injury not listed): https://www.thecubreporter.com/04172018 ... roster#new

Also none of the top Mexican pitchers signed in the most recent IFA class (Florencio Serrano, Saul Vazquez and Manuel Espinoza) are in Mesa, though the top two position players are (Luis Verdugo and Reivaj Garcia).

That's really disappointing, especially on Serrano. Although maybe we will see more promotions from the DSL to the AZL now that there are 2 teams there.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

It’s official:

He’d be on normal rest on Thursday.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Arizona Phil's updated Extended Spring Training roster confirms Erling Moreno is down in Arizona rehabbing (specific injury not listed): https://www.thecubreporter.com/04172018 ... roster#new

That's really disappointing, especially on Serrano. Although maybe we will see more promotions from the DSL to the AZL now that there are 2 teams there.

It can’t be coincidence that none of the top three Mexican pitchers are yet in the US. I agree with your second sentence - I think we’ll still see at least Serrano in Arizona for the summer.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 am

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Any new thoughts on Cubs’ RHP Alex Lange? I have relatively high hopes, see him as a much better shot at a legit first division SP than De la Cruz and Albertos

Eric A Longenhagen: He's an interesting fit as a Lance McCullers type of starter who comes in and throws his breaking ball half the time. Certainly De La Cruz and Albertos have other significant issues (Oscar can't stay healthy, Albertos has bad command and is a 4 athlete)
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 am

For those of you who go back a ways, former Cubs #1 prospect Felix Pie, who had been out of professional baseball since 2013, has resurfaced in the Mexican League at the age of 33. His slash through 82 AB is .354/.427/.659 with 5 HR, 10 2B, 12 K and 12 BB.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm

CubsWin wrote:For those of you who go back a ways, former Cubs #1 prospect Felix Pie, who had been out of professional baseball since 2013, has resurfaced in the Mexican League at the age of 33. His slash through 82 AB is .354/.427/.659 with 5 HR, 10 2B, 12 K and 12 BB.

You are making me feel old.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 04, 2018 4:51 am

2:15
JG: Miguel Amaya’s bat in the early going has looked *very* promising from a statistical standpoint. Any intel on how legit the performance has been? He’s 19, in the MWL, and has already drawn praise for his glove. If the bat is already coming along, what kind of prospect are we potentially looking at in terms of FV?
2:17
Eric A Longenhagen: I shoved him way up the Cubs list for a reason. The offensive tools were just masked by the grind of catching last year. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-22-p ... icago-cubs
Eric A Longenhagen: Could be a 50 FV by the end of the year, more likely he’s a 45.

3:35
A Dead Avenger: Eric, have you heard great reports on Eury Ramos? AZPhil mentioned he’s throwing 95-97, with a plus CB, and a swing and miss change. Says he’s filled out now. Any words you’ve heard from the back fields?
3:36
Eric A Longenhagen: Haven’t seen him myself this spring but every time I’m there Phil is too so I buy that he’s throwing that hard and missing bats.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 04, 2018 1:11 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
2:15
JG: Miguel Amaya’s bat in the early going has looked *very* promising from a statistical standpoint. Any intel on how legit the performance has been? He’s 19, in the MWL, and has already drawn praise for his glove. If the bat is already coming along, what kind of prospect are we potentially looking at in terms of FV?
Eric A Longenhagen: I shoved him way up the Cubs list for a reason. The offensive tools were just masked by the grind of catching last year. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-22-p ... icago-cubs
Eric A Longenhagen: Could be a 50 FV by the end of the year, more likely he’s a 45.

So Miguel Amaya is doing this well with the bat and is so young with great tools and he could only be a 50 FV by the end of the year? Seriously?

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 04, 2018 2:08 pm

On that scale you basically need to be a Top 10 overall prospect to be an OFP 60, so moving Amaya to a 50 with plenty of time for him to go higher does make some sense, even if it underscores the absurdity of the scale.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

W 50 would put him somewhere in the top 100.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 04, 2018 3:41 pm

davell wrote:W 50 would put him somewhere in the top 100.

Possibly. The first 50 FV prospect in their current top 100 is the #43 overall prospect but the rest of their top 100 are all 50s and some non-top 100s (including Ademan and Alzolay) are also 50s.

That said, Amaya will be a shoe-in top 100 prospect by end of season if he maintains an .800 OPS/decent plate discipline at age 19, considering his potential to be a future above average defender. Possibly even a top 50 prospect.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”