Minor League Musings

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Fangraphs updated their top prospects board.

Miguel Amaya is now 59, Nico Hoerner 61, Aramis Ademan 108.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... &pagenum=0

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2019/ALL

Damn. So for the Cubs list on Fangraphs I was hoping they might add Robel Garcia (like as a 40 or 35+ FV). They have Alec Mills (27.5) on there with an advanced age and Trent Giambrone (25.5) is the oldest among the position players. Robel Garcia is 26 and won't turn 27 till next year. He has legit tools and what looks like decent batspeed to me. He's sporting a .299/.381/.614 line (.995 OPS) in the minors and is still raking at AAA.

His discipline and strike-zone awareness isn't the best and he might get exposed by pitching at the big league level, but I believe he deserves a shot and that he's a legit prospect now. I'm surprised I haven't read any of the national prospect analysts say something about him in a chat or tweet or something. Hopefully, he gets some recognition soon.

They even included Hultzen as a 35+.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Fangraphs updated their top prospects board.

Miguel Amaya is now 59, Nico Hoerner 61, Aramis Ademan 108.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... &pagenum=0

Damn. So for the Cubs list on Fangraphs I was hoping they might add Robel Garcia (like as a 40 or 35+ FV). They have Alec Mills (27.5) on there with an advanced age and Trent Giambrone (25.5) is the oldest among the position players. Robel Garcia is 26 and won't turn 27 till next year. He has legit tools and what looks like decent batspeed to me. He's sporting a .299/.381/.614 line (.995 OPS) in the minors and is still raking at AAA.

His discipline and strike-zone awareness isn't the best and he might get exposed by pitching at the big league level, but I believe he deserves a shot and that he's a legit prospect now. I'm surprised I haven't read any of the national prospect analysts say something about him in a chat or tweet or something. Hopefully, he gets some recognition soon.

Yeah, I saw that and he has annext to his name too lol. Very excited about Hultzen.

I hope someone asks Kiley or Eric about Robel Garcia in their chat sessions on Fangraphs. Maybe someone has asked and they just haven't responded and/or didn't bother to answer?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:33 am

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Yeah, I saw that and he has annext to his name too lol. Very excited about Hultzen.

I hope someone asks Kiley or Eric about Robel Garcia in their chat sessions on Fangraphs. Maybe someone has asked and they just haven't responded and/or didn't bother to answer?

I asked Kiley this week and got nothing.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:14 pm

The AZL is opening up tmrrw! Some very green players I'm looking forward to:

Richard Gallardo RHP - Arguably the best lottery ticket arm the FO has brought in, top ranked pitcher in the class by MLB.com, up to 95 and showing three pitches this Spring according to Badler, the dream is to fly through the system in 3-4 years, praised for his mix of projection, present strength, aggressive approach, strike throwing, advanced four seam command, and pitchability (sequencing/mixing, repeating his delivery, pitching with runners on, basically little nuances most apes with arm strength lack at his age and often well past it)...Could be huge but obviously also could not be, won't take long to find at least, intuitively it feels like they got a good one

Fabian Pertuz SS/IF - Colombian SS signed for 300K, was arguably the Cubs' best all around player in the DSL last year, led both rosters in OPS, total bases, other stuff while playing SS and stealing 36 bases at 17

Pedro Martinez SS/IF - Switch hitter from Venezuela, another guy who played really well in the DSL at 17, spent alot more time away from SS than Pertuz did

Jose Lopez OF - Since there's two roster and he hasn't popped up on a DSL roster yet I'm assuming he's stateside, signed for $1.5 million out of the DR last summer (MLB.com's 17th ranked IFA), seems well regarded for wide toolset and potential to stick in CF, came up through MLB's RBI program

Carlos Morfa OF - 6'2" RHH OF showed power/speed in the DSL last year but had his season cut short to injury, not on a DSL roster so I'm assuming, questions about hit tool but the Cubs have low key made their bones on tooled up power over hit prospects so there's that, it would be encouraging if he and Lopez were on an AZL roster

Misael Garcia LHP - Very encouraging that he's almost definitely stateside, top performing Cubs pitcher in the DSL at 17 with 46 Ks, 34 Hs, and 0 HRs in 45.2 IP, noted by BA for growing to 6'2" and hitting 92 not long after signing

Joel Machado LHP - Jumped to about 6'2" 180 just before signing, shows three pitches in games already, Cubs think he can end up 92-93 and hit the mid 90s, was in the mid-high 80s during ExST but showed aptitude, not on a DSL roster so I'm assuming

Saul Vazquez, Luis Rodriguez LHP - Two currently lower profile LHs who performed well in the DSL at 18, Rodriguez logged a .73 ERA in 61.2 IP

Benjamin Rodriguez, Carlos Ocampo - Rodriguez is a long limbed and loose 19 YO RH who was decent for a DSL Cubs roster last year in 64.2 IP, recieved some praise from the FG guys. Ocampo has control issues to put it lightly but also misses bats and keeps the ball in the yard

Josue Huma IF - 19 YO switch hitter would be repeating, but didn't embarrass himself last year

Luis Verdugo SS - 18 YO glove first IF snuck in 4 HRs last year as a 17 YO in the AZL

That's before we get into even shinier and newer toys from the 2019 draft like Ethan Hearn and DJ Herz. Those are two HS draftees that should get alot of playing time this summer

Really impressive start to the 2018 IFAs if there's three guys already stateside at 17
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:basically little nuances most apes with arm strength lack at his age and often well past it)...

Apes?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm going to add Ezequiel Pagan to the AZL list as well. I don't think he did too much damage to himself last summer as a 17 YO draftee from PR in the 13th round. Listed at 6'1" 163 and doesn't turn 19 until July so there might be alot of growth potential left. He hit a little for one AZL club last year (.271/.407/.313 with a 20% K rate in 59 PAs) but tanked with the other.
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:basically little nuances most apes with arm strength lack at his age and often well past it)...

Apes?

Yeah, what the horsefeathers, Tom.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Hes likely just talking about big, burly, dudes, right?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 am

I wish we had a prospect like this in our system. Another good two-way prospect.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:45 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Apes?

Yeah, what the horsefeathers, Tom.

I don't know why you guys engage Tom...

I'm pretty sure he's not racist, but that was terrible wording. I'm just going to ignore him and his posts going forward. I didn't even read the original post with the weird "ape" usage lol.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:24 am

If that weird alpha bro can guess it wasn't racism (thanks!), I think we all can. On my end, it's wild minds went to racism on a Sunday morning! My mom was born on June 16th! OTOH re-reading the post it really does not fit in and puts the brakes on a read. It was a passive aggressive shot at the many guys in pro whose only starter traits entering pro ball are some arm strength, maybe some spin, maybe some size, mostly newness, and maybe health, but really really just belittling non-Gallardos way too soon

---

AZPhil's AZL rosters:

https://www.thecubreporter.com/06152019 ... cubs-2-too

Joel Machado and Carlos Morfa are listed, no Jose Lopez. Injured? He has Machado and Correa as possibly injured. I wouldn't be surprised if Darius Hill and Grayson Byrd are with Eugene soon

----

2019's going really well on the farm, no? Alzolay's looking like a viable high velocity arm for a ML club lacking in those, Davis is doing badass things, Hoerner's a borderline top 50 prospect even after getting hurt early, Amaya's maintaining, Ademan's rebounded some, seems like Roederer's getting his mulligan, lots of arm strength guys flashing in the low minors, 2018's top IFA signings are starting stateside, Luis Vazquez didn't embarrass himself too bad during a random upper minors callup, Abbott and Miller are handling AA well...

----

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... drig013jul
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 pm

BA's Cubs midseason player of the year:

Chicago (NL): RHP Tyson Miller
Double-A Tennessee

The Cubs’ breakout pitcher of the year is also the system’s best. He recorded a 2.49 ERA with 64 strikeouts, 13 walks and three home runs allowed in 68.2 innings.
1 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's Cubs midseason player of the year:

Double-A Tennessee

The Cubs’ breakout pitcher of the year is also the system’s best. He recorded a 2.49 ERA with 64 strikeouts, 13 walks and three home runs allowed in 68.2 innings.

I get a bit confused with the wording in these things. Are they saying Miller is the best pitching prospect the Cubs have according to them? Or that he's just having the best season?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's Cubs midseason player of the year:

Double-A Tennessee

I get a bit confused with the wording in these things. Are they saying Miller is the best pitching prospect the Cubs have according to them? Or that he's just having the best season?

I'm pretty sure they still regard Adbert Alzolay as the best pitching prospect in the Cubs system. It's definitely weird wording for sure. Usually, when a site or someone uses 'breakout' it's similar to like 'Most Improved'; it is possible for the player/pitcher to improve so much that they become the system's best player/pitcher. I don't think that's usually the case though.

Anyway, I'd take Adbert Alzolay over Tyson Miller all day.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Regular Show wrote:Anyway, I'd take Adbert Alzolay over Tyson Miller all day.

I interpreted it as “has performed the best” this season, which I suppose you could make a case since Miller has been really great all season. I’m a fan of Miller, but I’d take Alzolay over him easily. If they actually mean Miller has surpassed Alzolay, I’d have a very difficult time understanding that especially with how he’s looked recently.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 am

David Bote v2.0 is heating up...
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Regular Show wrote:
David Bote v2.0 is heating up...

Friendship ended with GIAMBRONE
Now
ROBEL
is my
best friend
5 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am

3 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Hoerner 53, Amaya 77 in MLB Pipeline's midseason update.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 am

Raisin already mentioned Nico and Amaya, but this pic shows all the prospects and how much they've risen/fallen. Pretty cool.

Austin Riley will graduate off the list pretty soon. Brent Honeywell should be lower after suffering another bad injury unfortunately. Justus Sheffield is just awful right now and should be off the list completely IMO (really bad trade by SEA).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 am

I would drink my coffee with cream (blech) for the Cubs to land one of Luis Robert or Jo Adell
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 am

From the latest Klaw chat:

M: Adbert Alzolay had a really nice debut last night. Can he stick around with the big league team this year?
Keith Law: Yes. The bigger question is whether his improved FB command and better CB are enough to let him get lefties out three times through an order. If not, he’s still a valuable bullpen piece. But if they can, he can start now.

Jake: Gallen or Alzolay a better pitching prospect? Both seem to be having better years this year
Keith Law: Alzolay.

baldguy510: What’s the latest on Wander Franco? When do you see him in the majors and is it definitely as a SS?
Keith Law: #1 prospect in baseball. Shortstop.

Jim: What do you think of the proposed Tampa-Montreal “split season” floated? Jeff Passan had a pretty good recap. I think there are a lot of questions (contractual, logistic, tax, territorial, etc.), but it brings back thoughts of the Pittsburgh-Washington Homestead Grays (as well as the unfortunate 2004 Montreal-San Juan bit).
Keith Law: One of the worst horsefeathering ideas i’ve heard in a long, long, long time.

Jimmy: Brennen Davis of the Cubs, SSS or potential breakout?
Keith Law: Both of these things can be true at the same time. It’s a tiny sample, but he’s also a great athlete and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he blew up this summer.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:07 pm

0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”