Minor League Musings

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:07 pm

BA's since added some tweets...25 HR power...plus defense...plus player...yippy
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Cubs: Manuel Rodriguez

The easy answer here would be righty Rowan Wick, who stepped up as a part-time closer in a breakout showing in 2019 for the Cubs. But looking a little further down the organizational ladder, it's Rodriguez who jumps out as a future closing candidate. In the offseason, the Cubs surprised some by adding the 23-year-old Rodriguez to the 40-man roster, but the hard-throwing righty showed early in Spring Training why the club is so high on his potential.

"He's the first guy I faced in live BP," Cubs infielder David Bote said in March. "He went 3-1 curveball, 3-2 curveball with a 99 [mph] four-seamer in his back pocket. I was like, 'Really? This is what we're going with?' [Jason Kipnis] and I were in it, and we were like, 'Uhh...' We didn't have the radar on it, so we didn't know what was going on."

Rodriguez was slowed in spring by a Grade 2 biceps strain, but he made a strong early impression after opening eyes with Class A Advanced Myrtle Beach last year. In 47 innings at that level, the right-hander racked up 65 strikeouts against 17 walks with a 3.45 ERA. Over his final 22 appearances, Rodriguez fashioned a 1.53 ERA with 42 strikeouts and 11 walks in 29 1/3 innings.

-- Jordan Bastian

https://www.mlb.com/news/future-closers ... nl-central
1 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:58 pm

At the rate this season is being delayed, Estrada might actually play a “full” season.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/thomas-hatch-s ... e-coverage

Thomas Hatch did a self scouting report. He makes some comments about the Cubs noting his high spin rates out of college and wanting him to go with more four seams up. He also struggled with his curve, which the Cubs also pushed on him, and it's only recently come around ito an average pitch.

Only posting it because Hatch had a really good run after getting traded, is actually on a bit of a high, and his comments about four seam/curveball with the Cubs fit what pretty much everyone is doing right now. It's good to see that Theo is trying to keep current even with Friedman lapping him as a PresiGM by reducing payroll 38% over five years while still not winning s WS. Anyway, Blue Jays fans are interested in Hatch, the prospect writers have been kinder, and he's almost a lock to get a pitch in the MLs this year if they play with expanded rosters

Now I wouldn't mind the Blue Jays send Sean Reid-Foley over and see if the math, science, and tech in the Pitching Lab can turn that around
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Future Cubs legend and Paredes replacement, Yohendrick Pinango, is also a future brick house:

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 13, 2020 10:07 pm

0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed May 13, 2020 10:35 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/davidjohnherz/status/1260354848245063682?s=21

I don't think those mechanics are repeatable. Might have trouble throwing strikes consistently...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:22 pm

I remember Kopech hitting 110 doing that same drill.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:I remember Kopech hitting 110 doing that same drill.

And then he died
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:I remember Kopech hitting 110 doing that same drill.

And then he died

So true.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Future Cubs legend and Paredes replacement, Yohendrick Pinango, is also a future brick house:

This video reminds me how sad I am that we won't get any kind of extended look at guys like Pinango this year. :bye:
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 am

1 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:52 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jeremiah13estra/status/1265100581498007553?s=21

I keep forgetting about Estrada. Poor guy just hasn't been able to stay on the mound long enough to show us what he has.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 am

Woof:

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2020 3:02 am

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jeremiah13estra/status/1265100581498007553?s=21

I keep forgetting about Estrada. Poor guy just hasn't been able to stay on the mound long enough to show us what he has.

Since all the injuries revolved around his elbow, I’m hopeful he’ll be healthy and stay on the mound going forward after the TJS.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Oscar de la Cruz, Charcer Burks, Wladimir Galindo, Chad Hockin, Luke Reynolds and Jake Stinnett amongst those cut this week.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1266471194846539778?s=21

Oscar de la Cruz, Charcer Burks, Wladimir Galindo, Chad Hockin, Luke Reynolds and Jake Stinnett amongst those cut this week.

I whiffed pretty hard on Stinnett. I thought he was going to be a really good reliever.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat May 30, 2020 1:59 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1266471194846539778?s=21

Yeah, I knew these moves were coming... Some of these guys were pretty close to minor-league FA anyway.

I've had some terrible conversations about the state of the minor leagues. If people don't already know by now -- there isn't going to be a real minor league season this year. Complex games and intrasquad stuff, but that's it.

It really sucks and I'm worried (and so are many scouts and people who work for minor-league affiliates). Lost development time, but also lost opportunities going forward for many lower-ranked prospects and organizational type players.

A lot of those players in the list (and on other lists) were depth for teams in the minors. For owners, the logic is no minor league season so what's the point? And more news like this is coming. Probably 600-800 players getting released in the coming months...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:10 pm

MLB Instructs Teams To Find Taxi Squad Sites Ahead Of Potential Season

As part of the negotiations, the sides have discussed expanding major league rosters and clubs having a "taxi squad" of 20-25 players in reserve. With the minor league season in doubt, the taxi squad would provide an outlet for top prospects to continue playing while giving MLB teams a source to call players up from during the season.

In an indication that the taxi squad setup is the likely outcome, multiple officials told Baseball America this week that MLB teams have been instructed to find a site for their taxi squads to play within 100 miles of their MLB stadium.

It is expected that those workouts will not be full games. Without an opposing team to play, there likely will not be enough players for taxi squads to play full split-squad games.

Instead, the taxi squad will likely play simulated games where pitchers and hitters get much-needed live innings and at-bats to stay in game shape and be ready to be added to the MLB roster as needed. Normally with sim games, pitchers will sit down and get back up between “innings” to simulate the up-and-down of a normal game. Taxi squads are not expected to travel with the MLB team.

The 100-mile radius is designed to limit reliance on commercial travel and have any player called up only a short drive away.

Most teams have at least one minor league affiliate within a short drive where their taxi squad can be based, but is likely some teams will end up using minor league stadiums that house another team’s affiliate. It is possible some independent league stadiums will also be used.

It is expected that no fans or non-team personnel will be allowed at these workouts in order to limit the risk of potential coronavirus exposure. For the minor league teams, it will likely provide a modest revenue source for facility rentals at a time when the MiLB season has been postponed indefinitely by the pandemic.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:42 pm

I wonder about how teams go about mixing these taxi squads together. You certainly want guys that you can plug in, but I imagine they might also keep some top prospects active so as to get them some extra work. Don't know ... have they discussed rules on whether or not the taxi squad can be changed during the season, and if so, how often?
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:00 am

toonsterwu wrote:I wonder about how teams go about mixing these taxi squads together. You certainly want guys that you can plug in, but I imagine they might also keep some top prospects active so as to get them some extra work. Don't know ... have they discussed rules on whether or not the taxi squad can be changed during the season, and if so, how often?

A GM, I believe Jon Daniels, was interviewed about this. They weren't sure about how much change was going to be allowed to, but it sounded like he was expecting a minimal amount. Because of that he said that the extra spots are mostly going to go to guys who you'd be cool getting into a MLB game rather than top prospects.

So for us, Marquez and Abbott are obvious ads, as some of our top prospects and close enough to be legitimate depth for this year (particularly as relievers). Despite their limited pro track records, I'd imagine Jensen and McAvene will be at least considered. And Carraway is definitely getting added after signing. Beyond that it's probably going to be guys who were ticketed for Iowa.

On the position player side, I imagine it's going to be the Giambrones of the world. I do imagine they add Brennen Davis though. You absolutely do not want him in an MLB game this year, but as one of our top 4 I think it's worth not having him sit a full year.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Cole Roederer came into 2019 with some hype and earned an aggressive assignment, playing at Low-A South Bend as a 19-year-old. He didn’t perform nearly as well as Davis, which led to some downgrading his value. But that would probably be far too premature a decision. The Cubs were impressed with the work Roederer put in during the offseason as he showed up noticeably stronger, which showed during his batting sessions. He’s filling out his (generously listed) 6-foot frame, and even last season he had started to tap into his power. The belief is that the hit tool isn’t far behind. Whether he can put it together, stick in center field and further develop his hitting will be key.

Last season’s top IFA add, catcher Ronnier Quintero, has yet to get any pro-game action, but what he showed in the spring with his bat made it clear why the Cubs made his signing a priority. Chase Strumpf has enthusiastic backers in the organization because of his hit tool and now that he’s once again healthy, the hope is he can eventually show that the Cubs got a second-round steal in 2019. Christopher Morel and newcomer Alfonso Rivas opened some eyes in spring, with Morel needing to continue to develop his hit tool but opening eyes at camp, and Rivas hoping to find a little more power as he gets closer to being big-league ready. Fabian Pertuz, Luis Verdugo and Yohendrick Pinango are raw but intriguing prospects.

Evaluating the progress made over the last three months isn’t easy. But certain pitchers opened eyes before everyone had to leave Arizona.

Very few of the pitchers who were drafted in recent years have seen significant velocity bumps. That changed with the emergence of both Kohl Franklin and Jack Patterson last summer. Franklin has a higher upside as a 20-year-old with an advanced-for-his-age changeup, a four-seamer that touches 95 and a breaking ball that shows promise. Patterson will be 25 in August, so the clock is ticking, but he had an eye-opening 2019 season thanks to a velocity spike. He continued to impress during the spring.

Riley Thompson and a handful of 2019 selections (Ryan Jensen, Michael McAvene and Chris Clarke among them) were developing nicely in February and March as well. Even Brendan Little, who in 2017 was selected one spot ahead of one of the top pitching prospects in the game, Nate Pearson, was showing signs that he could move past the initial disappointment early in his pro career.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Lol, Ryan Jensen looks especially short when he’s sandwiched by Kohl Franklin and Brennen Davis.

2 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Lol, Ryan Jensen looks especially short when he’s sandwiched by Kohl Franklin and Brennen Davis.

I know, at first glance I was like is that Cole Roederer??
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:12 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Return to “Minor Leagues”