Minor League Musings place holder.

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 488
x 235

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:18 pm

I want them all to make it. Almora will make it. The Cream Team will become reality.

RF Heyward
SS Russell
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
C Schwarber/Contreras
LF Soler/Schwarber
2B Baez
P
CF Almora

SU Zobrist
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59923
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6930
x 4196

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm

even though i like almora, i would much prefer a world where soler and schwarber mash so hard that almora will never have the opportunity to displace one of them (or force them into a platoon)
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:51 pm

David wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:


Meeeeeeeh, valuable to one of those poor teams maybe.

The Almora 2nd half myth is carried almost totally by his August.


It's more "post team USA" than 2nd half. it's just easier to say second half.

and it was paired with obvious mechanical changes geared toward a more powerful swing.


Yeah yeah, he's also young and can play defense too. Alls I ask is that the Marlins or A's buy the spiel.

I don't think Almora sucks or anything, just the Cubs can make better use of him than a bench player or the RH half of some kind of platoon situation.
0 x

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6723
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 145
x 294

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CubsWin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
David wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Meeeeeeeh, valuable to one of those poor teams maybe.

The Almora 2nd half myth is carried almost totally by his August.


It's more "post team USA" than 2nd half. it's just easier to say second half.

and it was paired with obvious mechanical changes geared toward a more powerful swing.


Yeah yeah, he's also young and can play defense too. Alls I ask is that the Marlins or A's buy the spiel.

I don't think Almora sucks or anything, just the Cubs can make better use of him than a bench player or the RH half of some kind of platoon situation.

Or there is no need to platoon him, things actually clicked for Almora late last season, he hits AAA pitching very well this year and becomes a valuable, young, controllable, above average starting CFer which when paired up with Heyward in RF gives the Cubs a very strong defensive and offensive OF. That then allows the Cubs to trade Soler+ for a mid-20 MOR with upside next off season.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know the Cubs started working with Almora in High-A on selectivity, waiting for and recognizing pitches he can drive and slight swing adjustments (like bringing back his leg kick late last season) to give him more power, and that's exactly what he realized and achieved after returning from Team USA. Coincidence? Maybe. Culmination of a year and a half of hard work and development? Maybe. Who can say for sure, right now?

You can say "meh", have your mind basically made up about him and might turn out to be right, but I'm going to wait and see.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4101
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 38

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 pm

McLeod interview from a few days back: http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2 ... -radio.php

Two tangents from the Underwood bit, having two off-speed pitches that are plus or double plus at times, but not getting K's because he's not mixing optimally, not best-utilizing what's sharpest on a give day, not knowing how to sequence, etc:

1. I wonder how much that depends on the catcher versus the pitcher himself? Shouldn't the catcher have the smarts to know? It's one of the reasons I'm curious on Caratini in intangible aspects of catching.

2. Scouts often focus on the "best" pitches. The plus or double-plus offspeedthat can make hitters look sick? But to some degree, it's about consistency. If guy throws 25 double-plus curves, but also throws 6 hangers, isn't it the hangers that go for the HR's and the losses? Might be one way to explain Underwood being said to have plus/double-plus, but still being HR-oriented.

3. "Bad" pitches can be hangers, but I think can also be "tipped". Sometimes a guy reaches a point in his comfort level with delivery where he can finally throw the curve and the change with the same motion and no "tells" to the hitters. Maybe that point will be this year for Underwood?

4. In low minors, the point is development. If a curve or change isn't working on a given day, I assume they are told to keep throwing it and practicing anyway. May be a quota for curves and changes per inning, or something? I wonder if AA might be a level where now you're pitching to win and to get guys out, and they do start pitching their game based on what's working on a given day? If so, perhaps Underwood will benefit?

Anyway, will be interesting to see how Underwood looks this year. Would be fun to see the K's spike and the HR's drop without much jump in walks.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4101
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 38

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:23 pm

David wrote:even though i like almora, i would much prefer a world where soler and schwarber mash so hard that almora will never have the opportunity to displace one of them (or force them into a platoon)


yes, yes, yes. Have Almora become a fine, good, player, but the Schwarber-Heyward-Soler outfield be such mashers that even if Almora could be an asset 3-WAR guy elsewhere, that he's a 4th for us.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4101
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 38

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Nothing stays the same for prospects. If Almora hits well for Iowa, his former slumps won't matter. And if he struggles in Iowa, last August will be forgotten soon enough. Unwritten story. Having a "meh" guy who was just boringly good, say .730-OPS with double-plus defense, if that's your worst "meh" guy, not sure that's a problem.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:37 pm

CubsWin wrote:Or there is no need to platoon him, things actually clicked for Almora late last season, he hits AAA pitching very well this year and becomes a valuable, young, controllable, above average starting CFer which when paired up with Heyward in RF gives the Cubs a very strong defensive and offensive OF. That then allows the Cubs to trade Soler+ for a mid-20 MOR with upside next off season.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know the Cubs started working with Almora in High-A on selectivity, waiting for and recognizing pitches he can drive and slight swing adjustments (like bringing back his leg kick late last season) to give him more power, and that's exactly what he realized and achieved after returning from Team USA. Coincidence? Maybe. Culmination of a year and a half of hard work and development? Maybe. Who can say for sure, right now?

You can say "meh", have your mind basically made up about him and might turn out to be right, but I'm going to wait and see.


- Almora put up .257/.297/.384 against RHP last year. He put up .263/.289/.380 in 2014.

- Things clicked for August, got stretched to his whole second half because reasons.

- I actually think he will hit alright in AAA. We saw Vitters hit in AAA too, he put up something like .300/350/.500 at 22 in Iowa. The PCL is still a friendly place to hit and a contact oriented young hitter like Almora has plenty of chance to put up a pretty looking line depsite the lack of power or patience at most other stops in the minors over any serious amount of playing time. Unlike Vitters, he can play defense so naturally his performance will be more valuable. Hopefully that helps turn into a pitcher this deadline or next winter. Heyward's awesome, zero incentive to move him for the sake of moving him to shoehorn in another Cubs prospect starter.

I guess I have made up my mind in some sense. In my defense - the whole reason not to is based around his 125 ABs in August last year. I just don't see that as enough to suddenly believe Heyward is just keeping CF warm for him. Throw in the other 421 ABs he took at AA and he didn't even put up a .700 OPS at the level.
0 x

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6723
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 145
x 294

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CubsWin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:Or there is no need to platoon him, things actually clicked for Almora late last season, he hits AAA pitching very well this year and becomes a valuable, young, controllable, above average starting CFer which when paired up with Heyward in RF gives the Cubs a very strong defensive and offensive OF. That then allows the Cubs to trade Soler+ for a mid-20 MOR with upside next off season.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know the Cubs started working with Almora in High-A on selectivity, waiting for and recognizing pitches he can drive and slight swing adjustments (like bringing back his leg kick late last season) to give him more power, and that's exactly what he realized and achieved after returning from Team USA. Coincidence? Maybe. Culmination of a year and a half of hard work and development? Maybe. Who can say for sure, right now?

You can say "meh", have your mind basically made up about him and might turn out to be right, but I'm going to wait and see.


- Almora put up .257/.297/.384 against RHP last year. He put up .263/.289/.380 in 2014.

- Things clicked for August, got stretched to his whole second half because reasons.

- I actually think he will hit alright in AAA. We saw Vitters hit in AAA too, he put up something like .300/350/.500 at 22 in Iowa. The PCL is still a friendly place to hit and a contact oriented young hitter like Almora has plenty of chance to put up a pretty looking line depsite the lack of power or patience at most other stops in the minors over any serious amount of playing time. Unlike Vitters, he can play defense so naturally his performance will be more valuable. Hopefully that helps turn into a pitcher this deadline or next winter. Heyward's awesome, zero incentive to move him for the sake of moving him to shoehorn in another Cubs prospect starter.

I guess I have made up my mind in some sense. In my defense - the whole reason not to is based around his 125 ABs in August last year. I just don't see that as enough to suddenly believe Heyward is just keeping CF warm for him. Throw in the other 421 ABs he took at AA and he didn't even put up a .700 OPS at the level.

You're just restating your opinion from previous posts and not really dealing with what I wrote.

I never used the words "2nd half". You didn't respond to the notion that he hit really well in Low-A and then his numbers took some steps backward when he started to implement the approach adjustments the Cubs asked him to in High-A. You conveniently list his RHP splits for the two seasons he's been struggling while working on those adjustments but leave out the .308/.350/.473 line he had against them before re-tooling while in Low-A as a 19-year-old. You appear to be cherry-picking to support a conclusion you've already arrived at instead of incorporating the possible larger picture I put forth.

You say the whole reason not to have already made up your mind is based solely on Almora's August. I say (and said in the previous post) the more impactful reason is the fact that he was reworking his approach and that what he accomplished in August was exactly what the Cubs had asked him to work on. He didn't just get hot. Often, when a player starts getting a lot of hits randomly, his walk rate goes down because he's hitting more balls safely. But Almora walked more (a lot more) and hit for more power. He was more selective at the plate and apparently waited for pitches he could and DID drive. He also made a physical adjustment (bringing back his leg kick) that coincided with his break out. This reality puts his August into a larger perspective that you thus far don't want to acknowledge.

Vitters and Almora are similar. Both were high 1st rounders touted as having good plate coverage and the ability to make contact. Both didn't take a lot of walks. But there is some BIG differences between the two. Vitters was never coached by this developmental staff with a cohesive Cubs Way plan set forth before him. He didn't have the advanced technology Almora does, and he didn't have the make-up/work ethic Almora has. Vitters was not asked to retool his approach while at High-A and coached to stick with it. And thus, as we saw with a lot of top Cubs prospects of that era, he struggled mightily at the upper levels. I find this a poor comparison that doesn't have a lot to say about our discussion.

Whether Almora struggled purely because he's started facing better competition while being 2 years young for his level or struggled for those reasons and that he was simultaneously reworking his approach is yet to be shown. All we know is he and Candelario were working on making changes once they reached High-A. Both struggled for a while. Then, on about the same timeline, both started achieving the changes they were working on. We have to see both of them continue to perform to confirm whether it was an aberration or true progression and the culmination of hard work. But there's a lot more going on here than just a hot August for Almora.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:54 am

You're just restating your opinion from previous posts and not really dealing with what I wrote.


Literally my post opens with Almora's numbers against RHPs the past two years in response to the remark that there may be no need to platoon him. You don't have find it a little odd that you have to go back to Low A three years ago to get a good line against RHP? We're talking two levels of ball and 730+ PAs against RHP between 2014-2015 since he hit well against RHPs. Isn't it a little too convenient that he's making adjustments when he's struggling but at the first sign of life he's possibly all better now? Why can't he still be mostly the same guy with. a mediocre but not career killing .287/.323/.416 line in the minors over almost 1400 PAs? Isn't that more likely than he suddenly clicked and found a new level over the final ~150 or so PAs out of the nearly 600 he's taken at AA? Why can't I just not buy that he's suddenly made a leap?

Candelario hit all year except in April and July. He didn't flip a switch late as the Almora story goes - from May 1-AZL, 508 PAs, he put up .291/.348/.482 with 40 doubles and 15 HRs. Not dominant, but a quality offensive season nonetheless.

Almora's a decent prospect for what he is - a glove first CF without much speed, patience, or power and probably some trouble hitting advanced same hand pitching - but I don't get the obligation to celebrate that or whaever is being asked for.
0 x

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6723
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 145
x 294

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CubsWin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Almora did a Q&A with MiLB.com on the 16th. Here are some excerpts...

MiLB.com: You drew some more walks and cut down on strikeouts in 2015 compared to the previous season. Have the Cubs talked to you about your approach or anything? Do you see yourself developing into more of a power hitter, or how would you describe yourself?

Almora: I'm getting better. It's not that I'm being more patient, I'm getting my pitch to hit. I didn't understand it at first -- they wanted me to walk more, so I went up thinking walk instead of a hit. But now I've kinda got it. I get a pitch I can drive and if it's not that pitch, then I take it. That's how walks get created.

MiLB.com: How would you evaluate last season? A full year at Double-A, how did you feel it went?

Almora: I think it was a learning year. I feel I had started off not where I wanted to be, my swing was raw, I felt awkward. I got it going through the middle of the year and I had success after the All-Star break. So that's all it is: figuring it out. I'm happy the way it ended, I can't wait to start this year and move forward.

MiLB.com: You left the Smokies in July to play for Team USA in the Pan American Games. What was that experience like? Seventh time joining Team USA, I believe.

Almora: Yeah, that's another big game-changer for me. I got back to why I play this game. I had so much fun with that team, just trying to get that gold medal for us. When I got back, it was like a fresh start and everything clicked for me.

MiLB.com: Another from Twitter, what is your approach going up to bat?

Almora: You've gotta know the situation. My approach is to know I'm gonna get a hit. Having that confidence, the positive mentality is huge. Getting a good pitch to hit and hitting it hard. When I was doing well last year, everything was simple.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6723
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 145
x 294

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CubsWin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:49 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Almora's a decent prospect for what he is - a glove first CF without much speed, patience, or power and probably some trouble hitting advanced same hand pitching - but I don't get the obligation to celebrate that or whaever is being asked for.

You don't have to do a thing. There is no "obligation". Nothing is being asked of you.

I'm simply stating my case for why I'm keeping an open mind. You seem to know what he is and isn't. That's cool.
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

CubsWin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Almora's a decent prospect for what he is - a glove first CF without much speed, patience, or power and probably some trouble hitting advanced same hand pitching - but I don't get the obligation to celebrate that or whaever is being asked for.

You don't have to do a thing. There is no "obligation". Nothing is being asked of you.

I'm simply stating my case for why I'm keeping an open mind. You seem to know what he is and isn't. That's cool.


I'm just running with what he's been for ~1400 minor league PAs, including ~600 AA PAs. This isn't a bad player or prospect, I have made thar clear, so I don't get what it is that bothers you so much.
0 x

User avatar
Vinestal
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:06 pm
x 176
x 26
Contact:

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby Vinestal » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:24 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Almora's a decent prospect for what he is - a glove first CF without much speed, patience, or power and probably some trouble hitting advanced same hand pitching - but I don't get the obligation to celebrate that or whaever is being asked for.

You don't have to do a thing. There is no "obligation". Nothing is being asked of you.

I'm simply stating my case for why I'm keeping an open mind. You seem to know what he is and isn't. That's cool.


I'm just running with what he's been for ~1400 minor league PAs, including ~600 AA PAs. This isn't a bad player or prospect, I have made thar clear, so I don't get what it is that bothers you so much.


Lumping all of his plate appearances together and not putting any of it in perspective or considering a very young player's learning curve is a pretty short sighted thing to do. The next couple of years will tell what Almora is or isn't. He's not a finished product. He still has time to put up some substantially better numbers.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4101
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 38

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:...Isn't it a little too convenient that he's making adjustments when he's struggling but at the first sign of life he's possibly all better now? Why can't he still be mostly the same guy with. a mediocre but not career killing .287/.323/.416 line in the minors over almost 1400 PAs? Isn't that more likely than he suddenly clicked and found a new level over the final ~150 or so PAs out of the nearly 600 he's taken at AA? ....


Nothing stays the same, of course, and usually guys his worse in the most difficult level in the world.

But if he could be the same .287/.323/.416 guy in the majors, I'd consider that quite solid for a plus-defense CFer. There were 12 CFers last year who finished above .730-OPS, and I'm not sure Dexter was the only one who's a lesser-defender than Almora. A .739-OPS Almora could start a lot of games for a lot of teams.

The problem, of course, is whether he can improve enough to hit that well in the majors. I hope so, but think it's less than probable.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4101
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 38

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby craig » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 am

craig wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:...Isn't it a little too convenient that he's making adjustments when he's struggling but at the first sign of life he's possibly all better now? Why can't he still be mostly the same guy with. a mediocre but not career killing .287/.323/.416 line in the minors over almost 1400 PAs? Isn't that more likely than he suddenly clicked and found a new level over the final ~150 or so PAs out of the nearly 600 he's taken at AA? ....


Nothing stays the same, of course, and usually guys hit worse in the most difficult level in the world.

But if he could be the same .287/.323/.416 guy in the majors, I'd consider that quite solid for a plus-defense CFer. There were 12 CFers last year who finished above .730-OPS, and I'm not sure Dexter was the only one who's a lesser-defender than Almora. A .739-OPS Almora could start a lot of games for a lot of teams.

The problem, of course, is whether he can improve enough to hit that well in the majors. I hope so, but think it's less than probable.
0 x

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6723
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 145
x 294

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby CubsWin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:34 am

Vinestal wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
CubsWin wrote:You don't have to do a thing. There is no "obligation". Nothing is being asked of you.

I'm simply stating my case for why I'm keeping an open mind. You seem to know what he is and isn't. That's cool.


I'm just running with what he's been for ~1400 minor league PAs, including ~600 AA PAs. This isn't a bad player or prospect, I have made thar clear, so I don't get what it is that bothers you so much.


Lumping all of his plate appearances together and not putting any of it in perspective or considering a very young player's learning curve is a pretty short sighted thing to do. The next couple of years will tell what Almora is or isn't. He's not a finished product. He still has time to put up some substantially better numbers.

This. Thanks, Vinestal.

Tom, the only thing that bothers me is you respond to posts sometimes seemingly without reading them. I wrote flat out "Nothing is being asked of you", "I'm simply stating my case" "You don't have to do a thing" "That's cool". But you write back "I don't get what it is that bothers you so much".
0 x
"But you're stuck in a horsefeathers' stigma of the horsefeathers' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals..." - Lee Elia on April 29, 1983

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:58 am

Vinestal wrote:Lumping all of his plate appearances together and not putting any of it in perspective or considering a very young player's learning curve is a pretty short sighted thing to do. The next couple of years will tell what Almora is or isn't. He's not a finished product. He still has time to put up some substantially better numbers.


I don't get how it's any more or less reasonable than thinking a switch got flipped because he went on a vision quest somewhere, lessons sunk in, all necessary adjustments were permanently made, and he had a great August. I think he's a lock to make it to the majors barring a catastrophic injury. Right now he seems like a glove first OF with a mostly flawed bat but the contact skills to maybe BABIP his way to a quality season or two. What's the upside here - something close to an OF DJ LeMahieu or Darwin Barney tier player/starter?
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44043
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 63
x 1777
Contact:

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:08 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Vinestal wrote:Lumping all of his plate appearances together and not putting any of it in perspective or considering a very young player's learning curve is a pretty short sighted thing to do. The next couple of years will tell what Almora is or isn't. He's not a finished product. He still has time to put up some substantially better numbers.


I don't get how it's any more or less reasonable than thinking a switch got flipped because he went on a vision quest somewhere, lessons sunk in, all necessary adjustments were permanently made, and he had a great August. I think he's a lock to make it to the majors barring a catastrophic injury. Right now he seems like a glove first OF with a mostly flawed bat but the contact skills to maybe BABIP his way to a quality season or two. What's the upside here - something close to an OF DJ LeMahieu or Darwin Barney tier player/starter?

The upside is that he's fixed his approach enough to walk as much as he whiffs, selects better pitches to drive and adds some power as he fills out a bit. All while providing plus defense in CF. That's basically Mookie Betts with better defense.

I wouldn't bet much on that outcome, but you asked about the upside.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44043
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 63
x 1777
Contact:

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:10 am

A more reasonable upside projection would be 2015 Adam Eaton with better defense and getting to the BA through more contact instead of BABIP.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59923
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6930
x 4196

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:11 am

yeah. dj lemahieu or barney as "upside?" wtf lol
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 am

Tim wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:The upside is that he's fixed his approach enough to walk as much as he whiffs, selects better pitches to drive and adds some power as he fills out a bit. All while providing plus defense in CF. That's basically Mookie Betts with better defense.

I wouldn't bet much on that outcome, but you asked about the upside.


Mookie Betts? As in the guy who hit .346/.431/.529 between AA and AAA at 20? The guy who hit .316/.408/.472 overall in the minors from age 18-21 and posted .153 and then .188 IsoSLGs in the MLs at 21-22? That's not the upside.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59923
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6930
x 4196

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 am

Craig Mish: “I’m going to leave it completely up to you. Most people do play in keeper leagues in our format, but again a lot of people want to win this year Theo. So, it’s kind of like a 50-50 type deal. You make the call.”
Theo Epstein: “I’ll give you two guys who are close to the big leagues and play positions for us where down the line there should be openings for them in the big leagues. That’s Willson Contreras, a catcher from Venezuela, and Albert Almora Jr., our first pick back in 2012. Contreras put together an unbelievable all-around season in Double-A last year. We think he’s ready for Triple-A. Great blocker, really strong throwing arm, has a chance to be a force defensively. This kid is a really underrated athlete. Has power to all fields, is going to work the gaps, is going to be, I think, a really productive offensive catcher to go along with his throwing arm. Obviously catching development takes time and you need your opportunity. But the way offense is at that position I think he has a chance to be most importantly a real asset for us, but also an asset from a fantasy standpoint for your listeners down the line.

Albert Almora Jr. is in an organization that right now doesn’t have, like a real traditional answer at center field. He’s someone we think is also Triple-A ready. Really came on strong the last two months of last season. He’s just starting to figure out his approach. Added a lot, the right kind of muscle this winter. I just saw him taking BP yesterday and was mishitting balls out of the ballpark and smoking balls all over the field. The ball is coming off his bat a little bit differently than it has in previous years. He’s a tremendous defensive player in the middle of the field. Great makeup, great contact ability which should allow him to survive against Major League pitching and probably fill up some categories for your listeners. He’s someone who is a big part of our future. He’s gotten a little bit overlooked with some of the other young outfielders that we have but we certainly haven’t forgotten or given up on Albert in the least.”


http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2 ... seball.php
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4877
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 255
x 320

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:36 am

David wrote:yeah. dj lemahieu or barney as "upside?" wtf lol


Does upside mean imagined ceiling based on gut feelings and perceptions? :shrugs:

Wouldn't it be more practical to look at his "upside" in terms of his performance through age 21 overall and the scouting reports that have come with it? What's so wise about reacting to the latest mechanical tweak and a few week's worth of new data that's way better than anything else he's done before?
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59923
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6930
x 4196

Re: Minor League Musings place holder.

Postby David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:42 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
David wrote:yeah. dj lemahieu or barney as "upside?" wtf lol


Does upside mean imagined ceiling based on gut feelings and perceptions? :shrugs:

Wouldn't it be more practical to look at his "upside" in terms of his performance through age 21 overall and the scouting reports that have come with it? What's so wise about reacting to the latest mechanical tweak and a few week's worth of new data that's way better than anything else he's done before?

Breaking News: Theo Epstein likes future of Cubs Prospect X!


the excerpt i posted had nothing to do with you and your latest dead horse
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.


Return to “Minor Leagues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests