Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-2-21

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-2-21

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 am

Scheduled Games (All Times Central):

ACL Cubs at ACL Brewers Blue, 8:00 p.m.
DSL Cubs Blue at DSL Rangers 1, 9:30 a.m.
DSL Cubs Red vs DSL Rangers 2, 9:30 a.m.

All full season teams have the day off.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-2-21

Postby Bertz » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 am

Caissie had a 1.210 OPS before a single and a dong (so far) tonight. Not sure why he's not at Myrtle Beach.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 am

Ismael Mena's also got HR #2 and a BB in 4 PAs, Preciado's got a triple in his two hits, Alcantara's 2/4 with a double

So after getting walloped by Almora not being a star, there are like 7 players in the org who can claim to be CF prospects and maybe even a couple that can hit (no order): Davis, Franklin, Roederer, Canario, Alcantara, Mena, Crow-Armstrong. 7, as many of us know, is an ancient number associated with luck by at least a couple cultures throughout history, this seems like a good thing
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 am

man that ACL team is pretty loaded now.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:32 pm

Every day that passes I feel better and better about the Darvish trade.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:08 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Every day that passes I feel better and better about the Darvish trade.

The return is looking promising, but I'm still pissed that the FO had their hand forced into trading Yu simply because the Ricketts wanted to shed payroll.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:13 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:The return is looking promising, but I'm still pissed that the FO had their hand forced into trading Yu simply because the Ricketts wanted to shed payroll.

I hate the Ricketts yada yada, but actually believe they had nothing to do with the Darvish trade (outside of helping/leading the push for rules that limit payroll and spending). Seems more and more like Hoyer made a move to act a year early rather than late on a deal with 3 left
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:07 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Every day that passes I feel better and better about the Darvish trade.

The return is looking promising, but I'm still pissed that the FO had their hand forced into trading Yu simply because the Ricketts wanted to shed payroll.

The circumstances definitely suck, but it's starting to look like a really strong return and with Darvish starting to trend down I don't think we'd get as much value anymore.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:11 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

The circumstances definitely suck, but it's starting to look like a really strong return and with Darvish starting to trend down I don't think we'd get as much value anymore.

I didn't anticipate that Yu would have been so affected by the sticky stuff ban. His spin rates are way down across the board and he's giving up a bunch of HRs. I would love to say that the FO knew the ban was coming and that they deftly traded Yu before he was impacted, but I really can't place any other reason for the Yu trade other than the Ricketts cutting off the funds.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

I didn't anticipate that Yu would have been so affected by the sticky stuff ban. His spin rates are way down across the board and he's giving up a bunch of HRs. I would love to say that the FO knew the ban was coming and that they deftly traded Yu before he was impacted, but I really can't place any other reason for the Yu trade other than the Ricketts cutting off the funds.

Given his recent performance history (at the time), I thought it was a sensible high sell, though I love Darvish, hated the implication for 2021, and wasn't enthused by the return. I've come around on the return, but still would have preferred more MLB ready players.
0 x

SouthernmostCubFan
Role Player

Postby SouthernmostCubFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:34 am

XZero77 wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Given his recent performance history (at the time), I thought it was a sensible high sell, though I love Darvish, hated the implication for 2021, and wasn't enthused by the return. I've come around on the return, but still would have preferred more MLB ready players.

I would have preferred an arm or two that was closer to MLB ready.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:26 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

They've all but flat out said it was strictly about money.
0 x

mias_tisg
Role Player

Postby mias_tisg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:

The Cubs traded Darvish at the right time, look at what Darvish has done this season. I was a big fan of selling Darvish at his top value after a few years of frustration but didn't really care for the return. Thought they should have gotten one of the Padres top guys for a guy that finished 2nd in NL Cy Young voting last year. But looks like it's working out.
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”