Prospect Ranking Page

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: Prospect Ranking Page

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:13 am

Tim wrote:I've been trying to think of an easier way to do this...

What if you could click a button to load your last entry?

I got that working. I like that a LOT better.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:22 am

Does anyone have any further suggestions to improve the input side? If not, I think I might just change the text there and start working on beefing up the analysis side.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 am

Thrillho,

Can you send me a PM with how you got your entry to be duplicated like that? I've gotta squash that bug.

Thanks!
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 am

Tim wrote:Okay, I've started working on this. You can find the work in progress here.

Some questions:

• How should the initial list be presented? Should I make it easy and present it as the current overall ranking? Should I remove bias and present it alphabetically?
  • How many should I list by default?
  • Should I just use one list like this? That will count on the user ranking everyone in the list. The alternative would be to have two lists and allow people to only list as many prospects as they want by dragging from column A to column b (and then sorting in column b).

Thanks!

Is this still the link to use to make our own rankings?
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:46 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Tim wrote:Okay, I've started working on this. You can find the work in progress here.

Some questions:

• How should the initial list be presented? Should I make it easy and present it as the current overall ranking? Should I remove bias and present it alphabetically?
  • Should I just use one list like this? That will count on the user ranking everyone in the list. The alternative would be to have two lists and allow people to only list as many prospects as they want by dragging from column A to column b (and then sorting in column b).

Thanks!

Is this still the link to use to make our own rankings?

Yep - Can't wait to see yours!
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

This is pretty great, Tim. It's going to be fun to watch as guys gradually trend up or down these rankings. And it will be nice to see a living, breathing crowdsourced ranking that is more attuned to the current affairs of the organization.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Cool idea!! What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to drag the names.. or do anything really. Using Firefox, all things seem to be updated. Heres what I get.....

0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 pm

yeah it seems universally broken on firefox
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:04 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Cool idea!! What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to drag the names.. or do anything really. Using Firefox, all things seem to be updated. Heres what I get.....

huh...so this is why developing in javascript is such a pain.

It works in Chrome. It works in Edge. It works in IE. It doesn't work in Firefox.

For now, you'll have to use a different browser for the ranking page. I'll try to get it fixed asap.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Cool idea!! What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to drag the names.. or do anything really. Using Firefox, all things seem to be updated. Heres what I get.....

I was having the same problem on Firefox which is why I asked if I had the right link. I'll try Chrome.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Chrome worked for me. Cool feature, thanks Tim
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to do this, but petition to put Armando Rivero on the list. He's in AAA with a good fastball and 11.86 K/9 5.05 BB/9 2.52 ERA 3.30 FIP .25 HR/9. He got hit last year for his 8.37 K/9 5.05 BB/9 which resulted in 3.16 ERA 4.55 FIP. Still though he had a pretty good.63 HR/9. Looking back to 2013-2014 his numbers were 12.96 K 3.76 BB/9 3.01 ERA 3.03 FIP .84 HR/9. That's a lot of Ks, not thaaat many walks, and pretty good HR suppression.

So this year, after another rough 6.20 BB/9 between April and May he's at 11.08 K/9 and 2.08 BB/9 in 13 IP so far in June. Not a big sample size, but I'd heard his fastball command is what was sinking him. If he starts controlling that a bit better there could be room for him fairly soon in the Chicago pen. I'd probably slot him in around 25 right now.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:05 pm

I'll put him there tonight
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Tim wrote:I'll put him there tonight

Awesome thanks!
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:33 am

So, I've been wrestling with how to make the voting more secure. Right now, for example, anyone can go to the page and submit an entry as "Tim". Furthermore, they can call up my entry from earlier in the day and change it, too.

I can't use the message board logins unless I want to integrate the board and the front end again, which made things very complicated in the past.

So I think I'm going to have to use the front end software (Joomla) to accept registrations to track names. That way if we see a ranking from Raisin, TT, Duke or someone else, we'll know it is them! Then I'll have to decide if I also want to accept anonymous / unregistered rankings, as well. That might get a lot more participation from outside of our little community of fans. If I force people to register first, it is highly unlikely that they do it.

Any thoughts on that?
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 am

Maybe we should sticky this. Or is there another link I'm not seeing?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 am

CubsWin wrote:Maybe we should sticky this. Or is there another link I'm not seeing?

I see it now on the front page. Still sticky-ing this might be a good idea.

I'd like to make some player requests, Tim, if that's okay.

First, we can remove Contreras, Almora, Edwards, Torres, McKinney, Vogelbach, Blackburn and Crawford from the list. It's probably time to add guys like Thomas Hatch, Tyson Miller, Bailey Clark, Dakota Mekkes, Erling Moreno, Manuel Rondon, Matt Rose, Rob Zastryzny, Jose Rosario, Javier Assad, Brailyn Marquez, Faustino Carrera, Hector Garcia, Aramis Ademan, Jonathan Sierra, Yonthan Perlaza, Miguel Amaya, Kwang Min-Kwon, (...and any other 2015 IFA you like).
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I've made the changes to the list. Once these playoff series end, I'd like to start up a ranking thread and do an end of season ranking with everyone that's interested in contributing. I'll write a bit of code for the analysis over the weekend to show only entries submitted during a given time frame.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Maybe there can be a space where we get the option to put little write-ups on each guy? Words are always nice and make these guys seem a little more real.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 am

Some questions:

Thanks!

Tim, thanks for putting this rankings page together and for everything you do with NSBB. Is the plan to still use this tool to compile an overall NSBB top prospect list?

Also, it would be great if you could add (and subtract) some names to/from the list of possibles when you have time.

Tyler Skulina, Donnie Dewees, Jonathan Martinez, Jeremy Null and Armando Rivero are no longer in the organization, though Rivero could be returned by the Braves at some point this season.

I would like to see Alec Mills, Charcer Burks, Craig Brooks, Jhonny Pereda, Zack Short, David Bote and, yes, Dillon Maples added to the list.

Thanks again!
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”