North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Derek Johnson New Minor League Pitching Coordinator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:24 pm 
Inner-Circle HOF

Quote:
@aaronfitt: BA has learned that #Vandy pitching guru Derek Johnson is leaving to be #Cubs minor league pitching coordinator. Huge loss for #Dores.

Johnson is very well regarded in college baseball circles.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Derek Johnson New Minor League Pitching Coordinator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:41 pm 
Hall of Fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtAUDn-fYek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm 
Hall of Fame

http://www.insidepitching.com/?p=2198

Quote:
Over the past 10 years there are few pitching coaches that have seen more success in developing pitchers than Vanderbilt’s Derek Johnson. Heading into his eleventh season as pitching coach at Vanderbilt, Johnson has seen over 30 of his pitchers drafted with 27 of those being in the past seven seasons. More impressive is the number of top picks that have come under Johnson’s tutelage including Jeremy Sowers (#6 pick in 2004 draft), 2007 8th overall pick Casey Weathers, and the 2007 National Player of the Year and first overall pick David Price. Also included on this list was 2009 seventh overall pick Mike Minor, last years 18th overall pick Sonny Gray as well as the 59th pick Grayson Garvin.

Quote:
With a strong background of quality influences and now many years of successful experience, we asked Johnson what his main areas of emphasis are when working with his pitchers. “First, All of our training is done under the premise of trying to make the delivery more athletic. We are looking to connect the delivery better, faster, stronger, and more powerfully. Next, all of our training is done deliberately, purposefully, and with intention. Transfer of skill happens faster and with better resolve when mind and body are focused on 1 purpose. This type of training is hard and requires great discipline but the return great.”

First round draft choices always center on the hardest throwing pitchers available, and Johnson’s has a well documented resume of pulling velocity out of pitchers and elevating them into the elite status of throwers. He had this to say about velocity development, “It is all about Intent and the Mind/Body connection. If there is a goal of gaining arm strength, the training required must be specific to the goal – we want to train our arms to move faster than before, and with more power. There is no substitute for hard work. If I want to throw harder, I have to throw harder, further, and for longer periods of time than my previous throwing session. It is as simple (and hard) as that.”

Still in the prime of his career and already with numerous awards and recognition including the 2004 national pitching coach of the year and the 2010 ABCA National assistant coach of the year, we asked Coach Johnson what advice he might give young up and coming pitching coaches in the college game. “Honestly, to coach for the right reasons. Be a teacher, a mentor and not someone whose sole purpose is to just win games or move up the “corporate ladder.” Stay humble and hungry. There are two types of players and coaches in the game of baseball; the humble player or the player that is about to be humbled. Remember that it is hard game, and that teaching life lessons are as important as teaching baseball lessons. Remember that if you and your players are truly prepared, you cannot possibly fail.”

With several years still in his already brilliant career, Coach Johnson will mentor several more of college baseball’s great pitchers to come. With the 2011 College World Series appearance now under the Commodores belt’s we can expect many more to come with the pitchers that are being developed at Vanderbilt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 pm 
Inner-Circle HOF

Aaron Fitt wrote:
Vanderbilt’s Derek Johnson Heading To Cubs

One of college baseball's most respected and accomplished pitching coaches is leaving for a job in professional ball. Baseball America learned Sunday that Vanderbilt associate head coach Derek Johnson will become the Cubs' minor league pitching coordinator.

Johnson, the 2010 Baseball America/ABCA Assistant Coach of the Year, deserves a great deal of credit for helping Tim Corbin build Vanderbilt into an elite program on the national level. Johnson joined the Vandy staff a year before Corbin was hired as head coach in 2002, and Corbin made the wise decision to keep him on the staff. In the last decade, Johnson has earned a glowing reputation among his peers and the scouting community for his ability to develop power arms, including David Price, Mike Minor, Sonny Gray, Jeremy Sowers and plenty of others.

"He's had as much impact on our program as anyone," Corbin told BA in the fall of 2010. "I think what D.J. has done with these kids is far-reaching. He's kept them healthy, he's made each one of them better. You look at the kids, the pitchers specifically, that have come out of our program, being able to pitch at the next level—it goes without saying . . . We would not have our success without having him on our staff."

From the Cubs' perspective, this is an exciting hire. Johnson is a gifted teacher with a knack for adapting to the individual needs of his pitchers—he does not adhere to a one-size-fits-all philosophy. But he does believe in the benefits of long-tossing, so this hire could mark an organizational shift toward longer throwing programs. He isn't the first college assistant to take over as a minor league pitching coordinator—most notably, Troy Buckley left Long Beach State to be the Pirates' pitching coordinator before heading back to LBSU as head coach. 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm 
Starter

I got to listen to him at an ABCA convention a few years ago. You guys would love him. He is backing up what he is saying with good bio mechanical studies and common sense.

A very basic way of presenting it is when you are working on a drill that is all there is in the world. You have been provided the information to make you better. Now that that framework is done you must execute it correctly, then do it again a little bit better every time.

One would think that it is a basic "well duh" what he is teaching but he raises it several levels. Then he outworks everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:05 pm 
5-Time All-Star

Sounds like a very strong hire. Did he replace someone? Or was the position open? Or is this a new position Theo and co. created?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 pm 
Inner-Circle HOF

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sounds like a very strong hire. Did he replace someone? Or was the position open? Or is this a new position Theo and co. created?

The position was open, Dennis Lewallyn had the job last year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 am 
Role Player

I wonder with Johnson's history with long-tossing programs and the possible availability of a few noted long-tossers in Bauer and Lincecum that we may try to acquire either this off-season. IIRC, someone posted the Diamondbacks were frustrated with Bauer for some reason and I know we've talked a bit about the Giants possibly putting Lincecum on the block. Obviously Johnson's here for one main reason, but I do wonder if having more of an in house expert may give us more of an advantage or desire to try.

Granted dozens of other teams may be looking at one or both, just spit balling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 am 
5-Time All-Star

This sounds like a great move. One in a long line of great moves by Cubs ownership and it's new, larger and vastly improved front office. The new Cubs leadership and consequent down the hires in scouting and development are honestly the biggest reason why I am as hopeful as I am for the Cubs' future. Acquiring Rizzo is great. Samardzija blossoming is great. But it is the front office that gives me hope that the small improvement we saw in the Cubs roster this season will continue for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:52 am 
All-Star

Johnson sounds really promising. Interesting that he would choose to change jobs. Is that a step "up" professionally? I'm not sure that being a coordinator seems like much of a step up, and might involve a lot more traveling? And interesting that after being at Vandy for 12 years or whatever, that he'd choose to move now. Possible reasons could include: really big raise, really liking the men and the ideas in the Cubs development system, just wanting a new challenge, or personal life issues. (For example, perhaps he was a target for years, but didn't want to move while kids were in school or something. But now they're graduated?)

He seems like he really fits with what the Cubs ideas. Sounds smart, analytical, articulate, and really a teacher. And the idea of focusing on one target change at a time seems to fit in with some of the things they've been doing instructionally. The process for making a mechanical adjustment in the swing or the delivery is very difficult, and the Cubs seem to be working to break it down.

Challenges for sure. A pitcher who comes to Vandy, they've talked to Johnson during the recruiting process. Not so in minors. Easier to connect as a teacher when only guys who like the way you communicate join your program. second, lots of internationals in the minors, not so at Vandy. Being able to communicate to them could be a new challenge. Third, Vandy is a strong academic program that attracts academically capable students. Sometimes a professor is great in teaching Ph.D. students, but not so good with undergraduate freshman. Lots of guys in the minors who might not be nearly as smart as the guys he's been used to teaching at Vandy; will his communication work as well? Fourth, Vandy has been able to produce good pitchers, but it's also attracted them in the first place. Sowers, Sonny Gray, these were top-shelf talents before he ever got them, so he was starting ahead of the competition. I think he's pretty clearly starting behind the competition with the current pitching talent in the system, and the draft keeps a pretty level playing field.

But seems like a very exciting signing. Hopefully he'll be really effective with out prospects. The reputation for getting added velocity out of some of his guys is interesting given how few of our guys are power arms. And given also that the Cub scouting seems more interested in control pitchers than velocity guys. Hopefully Johnson will help get the best of both worlds; have a Blackburn pitching like a real pitcher, but in time building his velocity up where it's a plus rather than needing to be a "works well despite sub-average velocity...."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:14 am 
5-Time All-Star

I would think it's definitely a step up professionally. He goes from being a pitching coach at a D1 school to basically running the pitching operations (both the philosophical and implimentation side) of an entire MLB organization. I am guessing he's getting a pay raise and the "fringe" benefits are greater, one assumes.

Agreed that he seems to fit in with the philosophy/culture Theo is trying to build. His approach to pitching and especially the bio-mechanical stuff seems very much something like Theo and co. would be proponents of. Also seems like this is a hire to try and take advantage of the inefficiency that Theo has alluded to about injury prevention/prediction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:59 am 
Starter

It is a huge step up professionally. Like going from an assistant plant manager to Asst. VP in charge of overseas operations and having the pedigree to handle it.

If he has the same success in the Cubs system that he has had at Vandy he will be able to pick and choose where he wants to be head coach if he goes back to D1. IF being the operative word. I see this as an opportunity for him to have success here and then move onto the field as a pitching coach somewhere on someones major league staff. If Theoyer are smart and things break right, hopefully that happens here. Thats counting me with being a Bosio supporter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 am 
Hall of Fame

craig wrote:
But seems like a very exciting signing. Hopefully he'll be really effective with out prospects. The reputation for getting added velocity out of some of his guys is interesting given how few of our guys are power arms. And given also that the Cub scouting seems more interested in control pitchers than velocity guys. Hopefully Johnson will help get the best of both worlds; have a Blackburn pitching like a real pitcher, but in time building his velocity up where it's a plus rather than needing to be a "works well despite sub-average velocity...."

Good post, but I don't get that impression at all. They've been harping on getting and needing lots and lots of power arms for months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 am 
All-Star

David wrote:
craig wrote:

Good post, but I don't get that impression at all. They've been harping on getting and needing lots and lots of power arms for months.

Yeah, they clearly want high ceiling guys. Although it seems like, rather than pure velocity, they're focusing on guys with very athletic deliveries that either already throw hard or may be able to grow into it. This hiring seems to fit right in with that philosophy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am 
Inner-Circle HOF

Quote:
@keithlaw: Agreed. RT @pgammo: Many teams tried to lure Derek Johnson away from Vanderbilt, Cubs did it as minor lg pitching coordinator. Great hire

Quote:
@BleacherNation: Highly credible source on Cubs new MiL pitching coordinator Derek Johnson. RT @SonnyGray2
@ESPNChicago_not @BleacherNation you will love him

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 am 
Superstar

David Price was complementing him bigtime too. On a side note, I've had Gray as a possible trade piece for us to acquire. Probably enhances that possibility more now. Vitters for Gray, straight up? Or would the volatility of minor league pitching allow us to get a bit more?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 pm 
Hall of Fame

http://blogs.tennessean.com/vanderbilt/ ... cago-cubs/

Quote:
Why now and why this job?

Derek Johnson: I talked to the kids and I talked to Coach Corbin and I said, ‘You know, the thing for me is I’ve never really wanted to be a head coach. So that being said, what’s your next step if there is one?’ I never felt like I needed to take another pitching job. In college baseball, I felt like I had the best one in the nation. So since I wasn’t going to be a head coach, this seemed to fit very well. So that’s the timing of it.

I’ve had other opportunities with other jobs and I felt like … I’m an Illinois guy and I grew up watching the Cubs on WGN just about every day in the summer. I considered myself I Cubs fan growing up. That was part of the appeal. On the mature side of things, it was along the lines of I just felt good about the vision they have for what’s upcoming and what’s next for the organization, and I felt like they were going to give me the opportunity to be involved in that. That’s probably the main couple of reasons the Cubs appealed to me in the first place.

On how this process got started:

DJ: I got a call from, actually, a former player of ours (David Macias) who is in the organization seeking my interest level. Just like any other time that I’ve been called, I’m like, ‘Sure, let me know and give me a call.’ I mean, you never want to rule anything out. So the next guy was (Cubs vice president of scouting and player development) Jason McLeod and I had several conversations with him, and with (Cubs president) Theo (Esptein) and some of the other Cubs folks and it was good.

The next part of it was an interview and I actually went down and interviewed with them and watched a little bit of their instructional league down in Mesa, and just kind of got to know them. It was an informal interview. It wasn’t anything pressing by any means, and we just kind of kept the lines of communication open. They asked how interested I was after meeting with them, and I said I felt like I was. Then obviously they went to work on their side to decide whether or not I was the right person for them.

So I guess, all in all, it was a couple of weeks. They asked if I’d like the job and I asked to think about it for a couple of days and talked with Coach (Tim) Corbin at that time, who was very helpful all the way through. I decided it was a great fit.

On his pitching philosophies and why the Cubs were attracted to him:

DJ: I can’t speak for them on why they were attracted to me, but I guess I can tell you that basically my job is now to do what I’ve been doing with 15 or 16 pitchers every year and trying to turn that into a program that works for 120 at all areas and skill levels. So that’s the challenge. And that’s really the great part of the challenge is to understand what fits best at each level of play and being able to tailor that to individual needs, and being able to understand the history of each guy and what got them there in the first place and be able to combine some of the things we want to try to do there. Obviously for me, it’s about being able to help the coaches at the various levels kind of hone in on the same page so that as an organization, we kind of have a common language. I think that in and of itself will be a great challenge.

I get a lot of different roles, I guess, a lot of things I’ll be doing outside the scope of college baseball. But it’s probably what excites me the most about the job.

On being able to continue living in Nashville:

DJ: I do. It just so happens the affiliates are kind of spread all over the place and this is a really central location. My son wants to stay here. He’s 9. My daughter, she’s 6, she probably doesn’t care as much. But I think we’ll keep the family right where we’re at. We have friends here and folks that we know. It’s a good situation for us.

On having family members near a couple of the Cubs’ affiliates:

DJ: Unfortunately, Peoria (Ill.) is no longer a Cubs’ (Class-A affiliate). It’s now Kane County. I’m from Bloomington (Ill.), which is about 45 miles away from (Peoria). But my dad lives about two-and-a-half hours from Kane County, so at least that’s workable. And then her (wife Tasha’s) parents live close to Daytona Beach. They actually live in DeLand (Fla.), which is about 20 miles from Daytona Beach, which is a Class-A affiliate with the Cubs. So there’s some family there. And I can obviously pick and choose where to go. Knoxville (near the home of the Double-A affiliate Tennessee Smokies) isn’t that far from here. I can always catch the team in Huntsville or Chattanooga. Or I can catch the Des Moines team (Triple-A Iowa Cubs) when they play here in Nashville. So I feel like this location is actually pretty good.

Was money was a factor in this decision?

DJ: No. Absolutely not. Vanderbilt has been so gracious to me over the years and I couldn’t thank them enough. But it really wasn’t a factor and it wouldn’t have been a factor as long as it was close, as long as I could still feed my family or whatever. This was more about the opportunity than the money.

On being approached by other MLB teams for a position like this in the past:

DJ: I’d say a handful of times. Not necessarily as the minor-league pitching coordinator, but it various roles. It’s always been a situation that I could walk away from comfortably, whether it was timing or whether it was I didn’t think it was the right fit or whatever. I can’t tell you exactly how many times I was (approached), but there are a handful where it got to maybe what you’d call a more serious level. But I love Vanderbilt and I was always comfortable walking away from it. This just kind of felt like it was the right timing with the right fit and the right people with truly the right organization.

On his goals and if he would eventually like to be in a MLB dugout:

DJ: I think anyone is lying if they said they absolutely didn’t want to be in a big-league uniform. And I can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my mind. But to be honest with you, there are so many things to worry about right now other than that. I don’t look at it like it’s a springboard to anything. I look at it like it’s a job that I’ve set out to do, and I’m going to do it really well and the other parts of that will take care of themselves in due time, one way or the other. I think you find a niche in what you’re really good at doing. I have no idea if I’d be a good big-league pitching coach. I don’t have any idea at this point if I’d be a good minor-league pitching coordinator. But what I know is that’s the job in front of me and really nothing else at this point matters. So we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

On what he has meant to all that Vanderbilt has accomplished:

DJ: That’s an unfair question (laughing). I feel very fortunate to have been a part of it. To whatever degree that was, I would let people on the other side of it make that call. The pitchers that have been here before and what they’ve been able to do, I think that part of it kind of shows what we’re all about at Vanderbilt. More importantly, it’s the relationships I’ve built with Coach Corbin, with our players, with the fans. I’ve said it a million times and I don’t know if I could say it enough: I love Vanderbilt. I love everything that it stands for. I love what Coach Corbin stands for, what he does on a day-to-day basis. I know I’m jaded. I know I haven’t had a lot of experience with other college programs. But I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, I think it’s the best program in the country and I think it’s largely due to what (Corbin) does every single day. I’ve just never been around a guy that’s quite like him. I just can’t tell you how fortunate I feel to have been a friend of his and to have worked with him and for him for as long as I have.

Have you given Corbin any suggestions for your replacement?

DJ: No. I would. I want this team to go to Omaha. I want this team to win the national championship. I feel like there is a distinct possibility it can be a great year. Now how far they get, I don’t know. I don’t think anyone knows that. I don’t think anyone knows that until the end. But I want to help him and I want to help Vanderbilt and, in particular, our players as best as I possibly can. Really my (role) right now is to do whatever it is that Coach Corbin feels is necessary to keep the program exactly where it is right now and help facilitate growth here in the very near future. I think he’s going to ask me for some input and I’m certainly going to give him what I know and to the best of my ability.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 pm 
Starter

David wrote:
http://blogs.tennessean.com/vanderbilt/2012/10/30/vandys-derek-johnson-speaks-on-new-job-with-chicago-cubs/

I have to admit, I'm fairly excited about this guy coming to the Cubs. I'm not sure if he's some massive improvement over the previous MLPC, but I like reading his comments. Seems like a bright guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:05 pm 
All-Star

I had no idea he was from Normal. I'm a big fan, now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 am 
All-Star

Pushfrog98 wrote:
I had no idea he was from Normal. I'm a big fan, now!

Meh, he went to U-high. Interest waning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:20 pm 
Inner-Circle HOF

John Arguello interview with Derek Johnson: http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2013 ... ordinator/

google adsense
Post details