The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

2013-14 International Free Agency Thread

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

2013-14 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 am

The second annual MLB Prospect League international showcase starts tomorrow in the Dominican Republic.

Jesse Sanchez' story

----------------

Top Prospects:

Dominican Republic:


SS Obispo Aybar - being investigated by MLB due to age questions
3B Rafael Devers - connected to the Boston
RF Micker Zapata - linked to the Seattle, Minnesota and leveland
OF Eloy Jimenez - linked to Houston
RHP Mayky Perez
RHP Marcos Diplan
SS Franly Mallen

Taiwan:

RHP Tseng Jen-Ho - age 18

Venezuela:

SS Gleyber Torres - linked to the Cubs
SS Yeltsin Gudino - linked to Oakland and Seattle

Official Signings:

Cubs International Pool Breakdown:

Code: Select all

                          Standard          5% Over
---------------------------------------------------
Initial bonus pool      $4,557,000       $4,784,850
From Astros            +$  784,000      +$  823,200
From Orioles           +$  388,000      +$  407,400
To Dodgers             -$  209,000      -$  219,450
===================================================
Cubs bonus pool         $5,520,000       $5,796,000
===================================================
Signings:
Gleyber Torres          $1,700,000       $1,700,000
Jen-Ho Tseng            $1,625,000       $1,625,000
Jefferson Mejia         $  850,000       $  850,000
Erling Moreno           $  650,000       $  650,000
Johan Matos             $  270,000       $  270,000
Eloy Jimenez            $2,800,000       $2,800,000
Remaining IFA Budget:  -$2,375,000      -$2,099,000


OF Eloy Jimenez, Dominican Republic - age 16 - $2.8 millino + $250,000 for college
SS Gleyber Torres, Venezuela - age 16 - $1.7 million bonus
RHP Jen-Ho Tseng, Taiwan - age 18 - $1.625 million bonus
RHP Jefferson Mejia, Dominican Republic - age 18 - $850,000 bonus
RHP Erling Moreno, Colombia - age 16 - $800,000 bonus
C Johan Matos, Dominican Republic - age 16 - $270,000 bonus
RHP Armando Rivero, Cuba, age 25 - $3.1 million - will not count towards 2012-13 international pool

Mariners: RHP Jose Santiago, Dominican Republic, age 19 - $205,000 bonus - counts towards 2012-13 international pool
Rangers: OF Todd McDonald, Australia, age 17 - $475,000 bonus - counts towards 2012-13 international pool
Reds: LHP Jacob Constante, Dominican Republic - age 19 - $730,000 bonus - counts towards 2012-13 international pool

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 am

I just asked Parks and he said good class. Lots of bats, no Sano type talents. Some solid arms as well. With our budget, we've got to make a couple of serious splashes. Bats are probably a bit easier to project out, but I hope we get a couple of the best pitchers.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

The top Taiwanese prospect this year will be pitching at the WBC, so we should get a nice preview:

Baseball America wrote:Tseng Jen-Ho, rhp, Taiwan: The 18-year-old high school star will make Taiwan a must-see destination for many decision makers, as they will get to watch a righthander who may demand near $2 million on the July 2 international signing date. Tseng throws a 91-93 mph fastball, a hard-breaking curveball as well as a potentially plus changeup and solid slider.


It will be interesting if this regime will make Asia as big a priority as the previous one did. If the Cubs truly are interested in signing older international prospects (a la Paniagua) since they deem them less risky, Asia is the place to go as Koreans and Taiwanese players don't sign till they graduate high school.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

This seems tailor-made for our situation, if he's worth the money. We've got a huge financial advantage over most in IFA money and a bigtime need for SP. At 2 mill, it'd still leave us in the middle of the pack for IFA money and we could still basically add a class financially as we did in 2012.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 30580
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:42 pm

davell wrote:This seems tailor-made for our situation, if he's worth the money. We've got a huge financial advantage over most in IFA money and a bigtime need for SP. At 2 mill, it'd still leave us in the middle of the pack for IFA money and we could still basically add a class financially as we did in 2012.


No interest in loading up on an 18-year-old pitcher.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:44 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
davell wrote:This seems tailor-made for our situation, if he's worth the money. We've got a huge financial advantage over most in IFA money and a bigtime need for SP. At 2 mill, it'd still leave us in the middle of the pack for IFA money and we could still basically add a class financially as we did in 2012.


No interest in loading up on an 18-year-old pitcher.

Why not?

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 30580
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Why not?


Because he's an 18-year-old pitcher. I'd rather go for quantity over quality at that age.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:04 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Why not?


Because he's an 18-year-old pitcher. I'd rather go for quantity over quality at that age.


Well, of course. Despite signing quite a few 5-and 6-figure bonus pitchers, the current set up will often lead to big spending teams signing one expensive pitcher. In that case, I'd rather drop 7-figures on an 18-year old than a 16-year old (or a 22-year old in the case of Paniagua last year).

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9701
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Isn't the IFA market considered pretty [expletive] this year? Might be worth spending the money on him if there aren't a lot of guys that look to be quality prospects.
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 41317
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby David » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Isn't the IFA market considered pretty [expletive] this year? Might be worth spending the money on him if there aren't a lot of guys that look to be quality prospects.

Not that I know about such things, but a few posts up, davell mentions that Parks says this is a good IFA class.
Image

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Well, after the reports from their showcase in January, that's changed somewhat. Some decent bats, not a lot of pitching.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm

In his review of Tampa's 2012 IFA haul (the Rays went over their pool and face harsh penalties in the 2013-14 IFA class), Ben Badler said the 2013-14 IFA class would be down:

Given that their 90-win season last year will give them one of the lower bonus pools for the 2013-14 signing period, which many scouts believe is shaping up to be a down year for international talent, perhaps it will be a worthwhile gambit.

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9701
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:In his review of Tampa's 2012 IFA haul (the Rays went over their pool and face harsh penalties in the 2013-14 IFA class), Ben Badler said the 2013-14 IFA class would be down:

Given that their 90-win season last year will give them one of the lower bonus pools for the 2013-14 signing period, which many scouts believe is shaping up to be a down year for international talent, perhaps it will be a worthwhile gambit.

That's what I read/was thinking of when I made my post
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:42 pm

There's one bigtime pitcher, Maykky Perez, the best hitter seems to be an OFer named Micker Zapata. In Parks scouting report, he only mentioned a couple of guys he'd put a seven figure bonus grade on. It's a main reason why I'd be perfectly fine throwing 2 mill on Ho, assuming he's worth it. It'd still leave us with around 2.8 milk to spend elsewhere. Likely including at lwast one more seven figure guy, maybe even two. Plus, the expected allotment of projectable low six figure pitching prospects.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm

My issue with what Tampa did, is they barely went over the limit. To me, if you're going to incur the max penalty, you may as well go all out with it.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

davell wrote:There's one bigtime pitcher, Maykky Perez, the best hitter seems to be an OFer named Micker Zapata. In Parks scouting report, he only mentioned a couple of guys he'd put a seven figure bonus grade on. It's a main reason why I'd be perfectly fine throwing 2 mill on Ho, assuming he's worth it. It'd still leave us with around 2.8 milk to spend elsewhere. Likely including at lwast one more seven figure guy, maybe even two. Plus, the expected allotment of projectable low six figure pitching prospects.


Zapata does look like the best at this point.

OF Eloy Jimenez and SS Joan Mauricio are two other big names.

RHP Jefferson Mejia is a 17-year old who will turn 18 in August and had some age issues (banned from signing last year for a year) whose stuff probably warrants a 7-figure bonus if he's cleared.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Can't remember first names, but there's a SS named Aybar that looked really good, but he's got age questions as well. The 2nd best pitcher is some dude named Diplan, but he's not all that projectable.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm

davell wrote:Can't remember first names, but there's a SS named Aybar that looked really good, but he's got age questions as well. The 2nd best pitcher is some dude named Diplan, but he's not all that projectable.

Yeah, Diplan is 5'11".

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7814
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:48 pm
Location: Chicago/St. Louis
Status: Offline

2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Why not?


Because he's an 18-year-old pitcher. I'd rather go for quantity over quality at that age.

But with the Cubs budget allottment, can't they kind of do both?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:41 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Why not?


Because he's an 18-year-old pitcher. I'd rather go for quantity over quality at that age.

But with the Cubs budget allottment, can't they kind of do both?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes.

And they did it last year with a smaller allotment (admittedly, Paniagua was 22, not 18).

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 30580
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

That's the big difference for me. If there's no older pitchers like that, I'd prefer any big purchases be a position player.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby davell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 pm

KyleJRM wrote:That's the big difference for me. If there's no older pitchers like that, I'd prefer any big purchases be a position player.

We've got 4.7 or 4.8 mill to spend and evidently there aren't that many seven figure guys as it is. We can spend 2 on the pitcher, still get one or two low seven figure position players AND still get a nice group of projectable pitchers. If the Taiwanese kid grades out as a guy that'd be a top 50ish guy in the draft, it's completely fine with me.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:07 pm

davell wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:That's the big difference for me. If there's no older pitchers like that, I'd prefer any big purchases be a position player.

We've got 4.7 or 4.8 mill to spend and evidently there aren't that many seven figure guys as it is. We can spend 2 on the pitcher, still get one or two low seven figure position players AND still get a nice group of projectable pitchers. If the Taiwanese kid grades out as a guy that'd be a top 50ish guy in the draft, it's completely fine with me.


Just because Ben Badler or Jason Parks wouldn't pay 7 figures for more than a few prospects doesn't mean those guys will be the only ones getting 7-figure bonuses.

Badler said he wouldn't pay 7 figures to a lot of guys all while correctly predicting those guys would sign for 7 figures last year.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 30580
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:08 pm

davell wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:That's the big difference for me. If there's no older pitchers like that, I'd prefer any big purchases be a position player.

We've got 4.7 or 4.8 mill to spend and evidently there aren't that many seven figure guys as it is. We can spend 2 on the pitcher, still get one or two low seven figure position players AND still get a nice group of projectable pitchers. If the Taiwanese kid grades out as a guy that'd be a top 50ish guy in the draft, it's completely fine with me.


That all seems particularly unlikely to me. The last few years have taught me to not believe anything that comes from the international amateur punditry. There will almost necessarily be more than a few seven-figure guys out there.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84503
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA
Status: Offline

Re: 2013 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:25 pm

KyleJRM wrote:That's the big difference for me. If there's no older pitchers like that, I'd prefer any big purchases be a position player.

If 18 is not in your definition of "older" international amateur pitchers, you've completely limited the sample of high profile arms. The only two I can think of in recent years who signed at 20 or older are Paniagua and Rafael DePaula (Yankees). I would never want to intentionally limit the talent pool.

Like you, I have no problem passing on high profile 16-year old Latin American pitchers.


Return to “Minor Leagues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CubsWin and 1 guest