Politics & Current Events

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 am

Translate to non weather speak?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:Translate to non weather speak?

i used to work at accuweather, and i can tell you that within the scientific and research community myers is generally regarded as a joke. he may or may not be a good CEO in terms of making his company profitable - i haven't worked there for over 7 years - but he'll be another dumb horsefeathers trying to run a government office like a business. i can also say that for decades there has been animosity toward the national weather service from management at accuweather, and the prevailing opinion was that the NWS should do less (stick to things like warnings) and let private sector do the rest. plus he has a business/law background, and shouldn't be heading up government body with a scientific mission.

it's not too dissimilar to scott pruitt running the EPA - a major goal of NOAA would presumably be to reduce the amount of stuff that NOAA actual does, to the benefit of companies like the one that barry myers is currently running, much like pruitt's main goal seems to be destroying the actual environment, to the benefit of big business which has a strong interest in polluting as much as possible without any negative repercussions.

the good news is that myers won't be able to do anywhere near the damage that pruitt is doing.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

1 x
I like beer.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Translate to non weather speak?

i used to work at accuweather, and i can tell you that within the scientific and research community myers is generally regarded as a joke. he may or may not be a good CEO in terms of making his company profitable - i haven't worked there for over 7 years - but he'll be another dumb horsefeathers trying to run a government office like a business. i can also say that for decades there has been animosity toward the national weather service from management at accuweather, and the prevailing opinion was that the NWS should do less (stick to things like warnings) and let private sector do the rest. plus he has a business/law background, and shouldn't be heading up government body with a scientific mission.

it's not too dissimilar to scott pruitt running the EPA - a major goal of NOAA would presumably be to reduce the amount of stuff that NOAA actual does, to the benefit of companies like the one that barry myers is currently running, much like pruitt's main goal seems to be destroying the actual environment, to the benefit of big business which has a strong interest in polluting as much as possible without any negative repercussions.

the good news is that myers won't be able to do anywhere near the damage that pruitt is doing.

Plus...stop horsefeathering hiring CEO's, Donnie.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:10 pm

white girls in tears over their school no longer being named after a man who waged war against the united states:

:lol:
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm

more than 85% of puerto rico is without power and people are drinking from horsefeathering superfund sites. wish this fat horsefeathers would keel over sooner rather than later.

0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm

The US is pulling out of the UN's cultural organisation Unesco

Note to self: must record tomorrow's "Have I Got News For You" on BBC1 and "Mock The Week" on BBC2 :lol:
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:11 pm

mul21 wrote:

This is largely BS, IMO. If those are the standards for the GOP to move on him, then what are they waiting for? None of that describes some kind of new development or revelations; that's all been the SOP for weeks, if not months. Personally, I think the main thing they're waiting to see is some hint as to whether Mueller's investigation would find something that could take down Pence, too.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Banedon wrote:Plus...stop horsefeathering hiring CEO's, Donnie.

how else do you drain a swamp, Brandon???
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
mul21 wrote:

This is largely BS, IMO. If those are the standards for the GOP to move on him, then what are they waiting for? None of that describes some kind of new development or revelations; that's all been the SOP for weeks, if not months. Personally, I think the main thing they're waiting to see is some hint as to whether Mueller's investigation would find something that could take down Pence, too.

My guess is nobody wants to be the one to start the process. Who knows? Maybe there's a little coalition building behind the scenes to insure it happens, though we probably would have heard something by now.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Grocery store check-out line mags get laughed at, but still....the pernicious overtaking of media continues.

1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm

"It's disheartening that I, complete human garbage, have finally discovered someone who even *I* think is human garbage!"
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 pm

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:This is largely BS, IMO. If those are the standards for the GOP to move on him, then what are they waiting for? None of that describes some kind of new development or revelations; that's all been the SOP for weeks, if not months. Personally, I think the main thing they're waiting to see is some hint as to whether Mueller's investigation would find something that could take down Pence, too.

I think they're waiting for Mueller because that's more concrete of an accusation. If you point out that Trump is reckless, dangerous, and probably in cognitive decline you aren't wrong, but there's also going to be a lot more people who buy into the Deep State being after Trump rhetoric than if you wait for the proof of Russian collusion. Not having to try to 're-elect' Pence is probably a side benefit compared to outright party insurrection that would happen if you start now.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:This is largely BS, IMO. If those are the standards for the GOP to move on him, then what are they waiting for? None of that describes some kind of new development or revelations; that's all been the SOP for weeks, if not months. Personally, I think the main thing they're waiting to see is some hint as to whether Mueller's investigation would find something that could take down Pence, too.

I think they're waiting for Mueller because that's more concrete of an accusation. If you point out that Trump is reckless, dangerous, and probably in cognitive decline you aren't wrong, but there's also going to be a lot more people who buy into the Deep State being after Trump rhetoric than if you wait for the proof of Russian collusion. Not having to try to 're-elect' Pence is probably a side benefit compared to outright party insurrection that would happen if you start now.

Oh, I agree; that's one of the main reasons I think those tweets were just smoke-blowing PR spin. It's "inside info" that's ultimately trying, in a roundabut way, to make the GOP sound better/more appealing than they actually are.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Maybe it’s as simple as Trump just isn’t useful to them anymore. The GOP was willing to put up with him because A) they thought he would be an ignorant stooge that would rubberstamp their agenda, and B) they were terrified of pissing off his base. It did not quite go as they planned as Trump went rogue, their agenda is largely in a ditch and his base has already turned on them. They have nothing to gain by standing with him. Unfortunately for them, they are stuck with choosing between going down in flames with him or losing part of their base forever when they dump him. After all the crazy horsefeathers in the last 9 months, the GOP IS where many of us thought they would be, in a no win situation. Except maybe, helping the world avoid nuclear war.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 am

NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Unfortunately for them, they are stuck with choosing between going down in flames with him or losing part of their base forever when they dump him. After all the crazy horsefeathers in the last 9 months, the GOP IS where many of us thought they would be, in a no win situation.

I still agree with this sort of thinking at all; Trump's base is made up either of people who typically don't vote, or will vote R no matter what. Dumping him isn't going to chop off the GOP's leg, or even a foot. I agree, yes, they figured he could be a useful idiot to him, and I think that's still mostly their mentality.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am

0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Trump just ended Obama subsidy payments. God i hope this negatively impacts a good portion of his base.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Unfortunately for them, they are stuck with choosing between going down in flames with him or losing part of their base forever when they dump him. After all the crazy horsefeathers in the last 9 months, the GOP IS where many of us thought they would be, in a no win situation.

I still agree with this sort of thinking at all; Trump's base is made up either of people who typically don't vote, or will vote R no matter what. Dumping him isn't going to chop off the GOP's leg, or even a foot. I agree, yes, they figured he could be a useful idiot to him, and I think that's still mostly their mentality.

Plenty of people didn't vote for Trump so much as they voted against Hillary. Those people, and there are a lot of them, wouldn't mind replacing Trump with someone else. I'm not sure anyone on the GOP side of things wants to impeach him but I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't have to face an opponent in a primary. That doesn't bode well for that person or Trump winning the White House but it seems like the GOP would rather just be the obstructionist opposition rather than actually hold power. That would at least explain why, after 8 years of claiming to want to repeal Obamacare, that they didn't have any sort of plan for how to do that.
2 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Enn Tea wrote:Trump just ended Obama subsidy payments. God i hope this negatively impacts a good portion of his base.

It will. And they (and Trump) will continue to blame Obama.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Enn Tea wrote:Trump just ended Obama subsidy payments. God i hope this negatively impacts a good portion of his base.

It will. And they (and Trump) will continue to blame Obama.

Well sure...cuz it's OBAMAcare that's the problem. It's right there in the name, bro.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 pm

2 x

Return to “Social”