Politics & Current Events

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 am

CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Can anyone think of a worse thing for democracy than not allowing people who should be able to vote, to vote?

republicans (and by extension, the five republicans on the supreme court) don't care about democracy, they care about preserving the political power of white Christian conservatives, which - given that black people now count as people and brown people continue to procreate - requires increasingly "creative" solutions like gerrymandering and voter suppression.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 am

12 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:18 pm

"He trusts me, I believe. I really do. He said openly and said it to a couple of reporters that were with him that he knows that no other president ever could have done this. I mean no other — he knows the presidents. He knows who we had in front of me. He said no other President could have done this. I think he trusts me and I trust him."
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Imagine if he showed as much deference and respect to our allies as he does to Putin and Kim....
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 pm

The fawning ovwer this complete sham in NK is...annoying, to say the least. It's the usual meaningless triple-talk the North Koreans traffic in, but Trump is going to walk away from it acting like something got done, take nonstop shots at Obama for his "terrible Iran deal" in comparison, and every Republican everywhere is going to lap it up.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Sounds about right.

0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Cohen about to flip? Cohen about to flip.
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Cohen's lawyers quitting?

0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 pm

0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:Cohen's lawyers quitting?

We'll see if Manafort and or Cohen get indicted this Friday.

Either they don't expect or don't believe Trump will pardon them.
1 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I think Cohen doesn't know as much as people think he does. Grifters gonna grift and not necessarily tell the big boss. Manifort on the other hand, I think he knows a lot. A guy like him does not work for free.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 pm

CubinNY wrote:I think Cohen doesn't know as much as people think he does. Grifters gonna grift and not necessarily tell the big boss. Manifort on the other hand, I think he knows a lot. A guy like him does not work for free.

If Cohen is the guy who "makes problems go away" for Trump, he knows plenty
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Same problem as always: What could Cohen know that we don't already know and that Republicans are happy to let Trump slide on?
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I think Cohen doesn't know as much as people think he does. Grifters gonna grift and not necessarily tell the big boss. Manifort on the other hand, I think he knows a lot. A guy like him does not work for free.

If Cohen is the guy who "makes problems go away" for Trump, he knows plenty

Cohen is the key to campaign fraud, I don't know what the scope is that the NY district will look at though, will they go beyond Daniels?

Also, how deep is Mueller going? Is he going beyond collusion, obstruction, and campaign violations?

He knows more about Trump's dealings than anyone, I don't know how relevant it is.

As far as Manafort, I agree that his importance is minimal.

Hopefully, this thing will conclude soon. Unfortunately, people are impatient to what they don't want to happen.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm

UK wrote:
Hopefully, this thing will conclude soon. Unfortunately, people are impatient to what they don't want to happen.

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
UK wrote:

Oddly worded by me...

Trump's approval rate is rising.
Support for the Mueller investigation is decreasing.
GOP who supported investigation are pushing for an end.

There's a PR battle that is shifting towards in favor of Trump.

Any arrest helps the validity of the investigation.

It also hurts Trump end game of running out the clock by scoring cheap and inconsequential political stunts like the flag and N. Korea instead of the policy failures they don't want to touch again.

When has the GOP addressed Trumpcare or Infrastructure?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I probably watched the same John Oliver episode as you (support for the investigation was 64% but now its 52%!!! Small sample size OH NOES!!!!), but I think team Trump's disinformation tactics to get public opinion to sour on Mueller are just screams into the void. The public doesn't matter much as far as this goes because Trump won't/can't end the investigation unless he wants a short cut out of the White House. People believe what they want about the investigation largely depending on what party they vote for. All that really matters is what Mueller can prove and who is in charge of Congress. Everything else is daily political chat window dressing.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I probably watched the same John Oliver episode as you (support for the investigation was 64% but now its 52%!!! Small sample size OH NOES!!!!), but I think team Trump's disinformation tactics to get public opinion to sour on Mueller are just screams into the void. The public doesn't matter much as far as this goes because Trump won't/can't end the investigation unless he wants a short cut out of the White House. People believe what they want about the investigation largely depending on what party they vote for. All that really matters is what Mueller can prove and who is in charge of Congress. Everything else is daily political chat window dressing.

I disagree, if Cohen and Manafort get arrested and Trump knows to what extent the DA/Mueller knows, increases the chances of a Saturday night massacre.

The sway in the GOP and Public Opinion will determine the speed of the outcome afterwards, it becomes harder to do if Trump has an approval rating at 45 instead of 30.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I probably watched the same John Oliver episode as you (support for the investigation was 64% but now its 52%!!! Small sample size OH NOES!!!!), but I think team Trump's disinformation tactics to get public opinion to sour on Mueller are just screams into the void. The public doesn't matter much as far as this goes because Trump won't/can't end the investigation unless he wants a short cut out of the White House. People believe what they want about the investigation largely depending on what party they vote for. All that really matters is what Mueller can prove and who is in charge of Congress. Everything else is daily political chat window dressing.

Yeah, I think the whole "public opinion about the investigation" thing just speaks to how, as with anything, the public generally grows less interested in something when the general idea is "nothing" is happening. They're bored.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, I think the whole "public opinion about the investigation" thing just speaks to how, as with anything, the public generally grows less interested in something when the general idea is "nothing" is happening. They're bored.

Americans have the attention of adolescent puppies, but unless support for the investigations goes way under (which is highly unlikely in a polarized political climate), who gives a horsefeathers? When Mueller finally releases his report, I suspect that Trump will be painted as at minimum compromised by Russia or Saudis. At worst (best) he is impeached and thrown in prison. The relatively slow news weeks don’t mean anything. All that matters is the Mueller report.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 pm

UK wrote:

I disagree, if Cohen and Manafort get arrested and Trump knows to what extent the DA/Mueller knows, increases the chances of a Saturday night massacre.

The sway in the GOP and Public Opinion will determine the speed of the outcome afterwards, it becomes harder to do if Trump has an approval rating at 45 instead of 30.

...do you remember what happened in the Saturday night massacre?
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”