The Politics Thread

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:44 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I read that story. It's so damn depressing.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50147
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 799
x 2077

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

CubinNY wrote:According to a new poll Biden is up by 3 points on Trump in Georgia.

Georgia.


Can we stop referencing single polls, especially referencing them without note as to who it's from?
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35332
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2429
x 2935

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:57 pm

New plan: Trump tries to shenanigan his way to a fake win of a key state with the help of his new Supreme Court.

Democrats with their newfound control of Senate refuse to certify the electors for that state
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:03 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:According to a new poll Biden is up by 3 points on Trump in Georgia.

Georgia.


Can we stop referencing single polls, especially referencing them without note as to who it's from?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... l/georgia/
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14438
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2642
x 1633

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:New plan: Trump tries to shenanigan his way to a fake win of a key state with the help of his new Supreme Court.

Democrats with their newfound control of Senate refuse to certify the electors for that state

That's a fun one, but does it boil down to basically the SC being rather toothless if someone wanted to really defy their ruling?
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:32 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:New plan: Trump tries to shenanigan his way to a fake win of a key state with the help of his new Supreme Court.

Democrats with their newfound control of Senate refuse to certify the electors for that state

That's a fun one, but does it boil down to basically the SC being rather toothless if someone wanted to really defy their ruling?

Clearly, the only solution is dissolution of the United States. Which at this point might not be a bad thing if we can freely choose where to live. I suspect that Blue America would quickly close its borders though. For all the bitching blue state conservatives do about "libruls", I suspect that they wouldn't choose to put their ass where their mouth sits and move to a sate controlled by the GOP. They are in a word, S-holes.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50147
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 799
x 2077

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:42 pm

CubinNY wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:According to a new poll Biden is up by 3 points on Trump in Georgia.

Georgia.


Can we stop referencing single polls, especially referencing them without note as to who it's from?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... l/georgia/


Case in point:

* Polls marked with an asterisk are partisan polls. Partisanship is determined by who sponsors the poll, rather than who conducts it. Polls are considered partisan if they’re conducted on behalf of a candidate, party, campaign committee, or PAC, super PAC, 501(c)(4), 501(c)(5) or 501(c)(6) organization that conducts a large majority of its political activity on behalf of one political party.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35332
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2429
x 2935

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:43 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:New plan: Trump tries to shenanigan his way to a fake win of a key state with the help of his new Supreme Court.

Democrats with their newfound control of Senate refuse to certify the electors for that state

That's a fun one, but does it boil down to basically the SC being rather toothless if someone wanted to really defy their ruling?


Nah, their ruling would stand. But Congress has the right to certify the electors from each state to finalize the election.

It’s traditionally been a formality, but we are all aboard the “whatever is technically legal is fair” train now.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14438
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2642
x 1633

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:New plan: Trump tries to shenanigan his way to a fake win of a key state with the help of his new Supreme Court.

Democrats with their newfound control of Senate refuse to certify the electors for that state

That's a fun one, but does it boil down to basically the SC being rather toothless if someone wanted to really defy their ruling?


Nah, their ruling would stand. But Congress has the right to certify the electors from each state to finalize the election.

It’s traditionally been a formality, but we are all aboard the “whatever is technically legal is fair” train now.

But wouldn't that just be challenged back to the Trump friendly SC too?
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19138
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2617
x 1040

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:09 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9679
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 458
x 4038

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:20 pm

4 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9679
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 458
x 4038

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:47 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

This is a likely reason the GOP is moving increasingly toward lawlessness to hang on to power.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/busi ... shner.html
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9679
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 458
x 4038

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 pm

"DemocRat presidents" he said; horsefeathers I hate these people. Such senatorial collegiality and gravitas that some moderate Dems claim are norms to be cherished even as GOP'ers burn them all down.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38323
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1454
x 1914

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 am

Does a more succinctly savage campaign ad exist? I think not.

0 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6231
x 2676

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 am

CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

This is a likely reason the GOP is moving increasingly toward lawlessness to hang on to power.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/busi ... shner.html

Yep. I remember reading that article and thinking it was a thing. Good times.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 53950
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: Perth, W.A.
x 1406
x 2546
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:"DemocRat presidents" he said; horsefeathers I hate these people. Such senatorial collegiality and gravitas that some moderate Dems claim are norms to be cherished even as GOP'ers burn them all down.


the reason they're doing it is because they have an electoral college advantage, they have a massive built-in senate advantage, they're packing the courts with partisan hacks, and they employ gerrymandering and voter suppression at the state level to the point where it's basically impossible for the state legislature in a purple state (wisconsin) to end up in democratic hands. they do this horsefeathers because they know it's a rigged system and they don't have to be afraid of sparking a backlash from the voters.

america is not a legitimate democracy, it's a country where a theocratic suburban/rural white minority holds onto illegitimate power and punches down on everybody they don't like.
5 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35487
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7276

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 am

OleMissCub wrote:Does a more succinctly savage campaign ad exist? I think not.


That was soooo last page.
0 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23686
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 433
x 897

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby CubinNY » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:40 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:"DemocRat presidents" he said; horsefeathers I hate these people. Such senatorial collegiality and gravitas that some moderate Dems claim are norms to be cherished even as GOP'ers burn them all down.


the reason they're doing it is because they have an electoral college advantage, they have a massive built-in senate advantage, they're packing the courts with partisan hacks, and they employ gerrymandering and voter suppression at the state level to the point where it's basically impossible for the state legislature in a purple state (wisconsin) to end up in democratic hands. they do this horsefeathers because they know it's a rigged system and they don't have to be afraid of sparking a backlash from the voters.

america is not a legitimate democracy, it's a country where a theocratic suburban/rural white minority holds onto illegitimate power and punches down on everybody they don't like.

They know they are going to lose this election and this will be their last shot to nominate someone.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15821
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7109
x 2401

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The Logan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:22 pm

The Logan wrote:I had stayed away from politics pretty much all my life, didn't want to get involved, but Mitt Romney was the reason I started paying attention to politics because the horsefeathers coming out of his mouth running against Obama was so unbelievably insane to me that it made me actively start to question my government officials.

The fact that this man, who I thought was going to be the worst thing to happen to this country if he ever became President, is now getting some gentle applause from the left is staggering to me. It's warranted, don't get me wrong. He remains one of the only few people on the right who oppose Trump, kudos for that, but to get here from back then is crazy. In the context of Trump he looks like a saint, but I hope people don't get fooled. He still sucks.


Case in point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... e-updates/

BREAKING NEWS: Romney backs filling Ginsburg's seat this year, clearing way for Trump to appoint third judge to Supreme Court
2 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84227
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15078
x 17471

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Seriously, the mantra for this thread should just be, "why would anything good happen when something absolutely terrible could happen instead?" Lower those expectations permanently, baby.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84227
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15078
x 17471

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Somebody insert the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme over this:

Image
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 29958
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 44
x 5728
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm old enough to remember when Romney voted to remove the guy from office
2 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6231
x 2676

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Brian wrote:I'm old enough to remember when Romney voted to remove the guy from office

Two things: Romney would have LOVED a Pence Presidency, and if the vote would have hypothetically been anywhere close, I'm not convinced Romney would have followed through with his token conviction vote.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 29958
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 44
x 5728
Contact:

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:47 pm

yeah that was my point the fact that he voted to remove from office and a couple of months later he's like sure let the guy do a lifetime appointment potentially on his way out the door is a perfect example of what a complete dullard he is
1 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cwood218, Google Adsense [Bot], The Logan, Tomarken and 4 guests