CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm

bukie wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
bukie wrote:The Trump administration's policy on, well, everything, boiled down to "horsefeathers you, got mine". They made sure they had enough vaccinations for themselves, and then stopped caring about it.

This is why there aren't currently enough supply to go around, because they didn't care beyond themselves. They had a chance to purchase 150 million doses but chose 20 million so to the public it would look like they were doing something, and they'd have enough vaccinations so they could get themselves vaccinated.

A quick google says we have 400 million of the Moderna and Pfizer shots ordered and another 100 million of J&J once it’s approved with the ability to order more, what am I missing? And we’ve already administered ~75 million with more being delivered and manufactured daily so that’s more than 20 million right there.

They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. The Trump administration botched or outright ignored every aspect of this vaccine rollout, and the consequences of such are the short supplies we are currently experiencing.

I mean, it's hard to understand because you're wrong.

We had more than enough vaccine ordered before inauguration to account for every single man, woman and child in the United States. I'm not sorry that Biden ordered another 100m for July when we probably won't need it anymore. It's always good to have backup plans and there's a lot of diplomacy goodwill to be built when we give them away.

But order levels had nothing to do with why we have shortages now.
3 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:
bukie wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:A quick google says we have 400 million of the Moderna and Pfizer shots ordered and another 100 million of J&J once it’s approved with the ability to order more, what am I missing? And we’ve already administered ~75 million with more being delivered and manufactured daily so that’s more than 20 million right there.

They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. The Trump administration botched or outright ignored every aspect of this vaccine rollout, and the consequences of such are the short supplies we are currently experiencing.

I know the Trump administration declined to buy more vaccines (specifically Pfizer). But I have never seen as low as numbers as you are talking about. I have always seen articles like this that suggest that the US had bought 100 million Pfizer, 100 million Moderna, 100 million J and J, and 500 million AstroZeneca.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/covid-v ... tored.html

NOne of those things say the US purchased. For other countries they specially say things like bought, agree to buy, purchased, for the US it says stuff like "moderna commited to provide, or agreed to procure.

I don't recall the story but there was a big one that came out saying the US declined to make a purchase they had talked about making around this time.

I think the biggest thing is the Trump administration, like all conservative scumbags and their apologists, wanted the federal government to stay out of it, and pit the states against each other. Because Republicans are terrible people who don't give a horsefeathers about this country.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubColtPacer wrote:
bukie wrote:They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I know the Trump administration declined to buy more vaccines (specifically Pfizer). But I have never seen as low as numbers as you are talking about. I have always seen articles like this that suggest that the US had bought 100 million Pfizer, 100 million Moderna, 100 million J and J, and 500 million AstroZeneca.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/covid-v ... tored.html

NOne of those things say the US purchased. For other countries they specially say things like bought, agree to buy, purchased, for the US it says stuff like "moderna commited to provide, or agreed to procure.

I don't recall the story but there was a big one that came out saying the US declined to make a purchase they had talked about making around this time.

I think the biggest thing is the Trump administration, like all conservative scumbags and their apologists, wanted the federal government to stay out of it, and pit the states against each other. Because Republicans are terrible people who don't give a horsefeathers about this country.

I always thought the "US declined to buy another 100m" story was kind of dumb because it ran right alongside all the stories about how bad it was that rich countries were buying all the vaccine and not letting poor countries have any.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 pm

I'm not in love with the case numbers I'm seeing from states yesterday and today. We're still pretty far down over two weeks ago, but we're seeing some plateaus or even gain over last week. Probably just the effect of reporting being down during the snowstorms and then catching up now, but worth keeping an eye on.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 am

Another day of meh numbers. Slight week over week case increase, small hospital drop. We're still way down from two weeks ago.

A lot of people seem convinced it's just states clearing backlogs from the storms and we'll be back to drops by the end of the week. They're probably right, but I don't want to assume that just because it's a more positive explanation and fits my prior expectation that cases would keep falling.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://twitter.com/user/status/1364297033679527941

Another day of meh numbers. Slight week over week case increase, small hospital drop. We're still way down from two weeks ago.

A lot of people seem convinced it's just states clearing backlogs from the storms and we'll be back to drops by the end of the week. They're probably right, but I don't want to assume that just because it's a more positive explanation and fits my prior expectation that cases would keep falling.

I do wonder if we might be in for a bit of a plateau in cases (or at least a significant slow down in drop) until the weather gets much nicer and the vaccination rate approaches much higher overall numbers. So maybe a slower decline in March, but then the virus gets ko'd in april.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm

How do the theories based on weather explain the curves in places like California?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 pm

stitchface wrote:How do the theories based on weather explain the curves in places like California?

It doesn't singularly explain it anywhere; it just can be one of many factors. Winter in CA is still winter for the people living there, and while it's not as cold as many other parts of the country, it's still a season that impacts the behavior patterns of the people that live there along the lines of spending more time indoors. Bottom line: nicer weather is by no means a cure-all or fix for this, but it does help mitigate the spread simply by allowing people to be outdoors more and to have better ventilation due to open windows. Too cold or too hot just exacerbates the ideal settings for this to spread (too many people indoors together for too long).

IMO, California's winter surge is likely due to a virus variant(s) introduction into the population combined with segments of the population being hit by it that hadn't been before (younger, healthier, etc.). It's hard to say for sure since the seroprevalence in the US has generally been terrible.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 pm

It's interesting that these sorts of analyses basically affirm that things were worst last spring, while things like Covid-19 Projections say that the spring and summer peaks were of similar-ish size, and we're both dwarfed by this last winter.

I wonder if that's a sign that:

- Doctors got a lot better at treatments over time
- Because NYC literally hit hospital capacity, that temporarily skewed the fatality rate way up
- C19-P's spring numbers are way off, because for a while testing was so bad not even every hospitalization got a test
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 am

Hospitals down by a reasonable but non-spectactular amount. Cases up a little again. Still need to wait a few days to see if this is something real or if last week's weirdness caused it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 am

Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.
4 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.

Borrrrrring.
4 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 am

1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.

exactly
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants.

Sir this is a baseball message board, oh wait, that’s exactly how baseball should be observed and analyzed.
5 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants.

Sir this is a baseball message board, oh wait, that’s exactly how baseball should be observed and analyzed.

3 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm

Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.
3 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ccine.html

I suck at the internets... but it shows all Covid deaths compared to nursing home Covid deaths.
2 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/25/us/nursing-home-covid-vaccine.html

I suck at the internets... but it shows all Covid deaths compared to nursing home Covid deaths.

That’s truly incredible.
1 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Got my first Pfizer dose today.

4 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Got my first Pfizer dose today.

Sidenote - I am just now realizing how ridiculous the green-painted Lou Ferrigno Hulk character actually looked.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:07 pm

David wrote:Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.

I think there's a decent chance the FDA ends up punting on it. We're pretty much saturated at this point.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm

My mother has her first dose scheduled for Tuesday and is trying to get my dad scheduled.

My daughter has both of hers.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.

I think there's a decent chance the FDA ends up punting on it. We're pretty much saturated at this point.

There's 7 billion people in the world
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

There's 7 billion people in the world

Are a lot of them waiting on the US results to decide what to do on AZ?
0 x

Return to “Social”