CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm

bukie wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
bukie wrote:The Trump administration's policy on, well, everything, boiled down to "horsefeathers you, got mine". They made sure they had enough vaccinations for themselves, and then stopped caring about it.

This is why there aren't currently enough supply to go around, because they didn't care beyond themselves. They had a chance to purchase 150 million doses but chose 20 million so to the public it would look like they were doing something, and they'd have enough vaccinations so they could get themselves vaccinated.

A quick google says we have 400 million of the Moderna and Pfizer shots ordered and another 100 million of J&J once it’s approved with the ability to order more, what am I missing? And we’ve already administered ~75 million with more being delivered and manufactured daily so that’s more than 20 million right there.

They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. The Trump administration botched or outright ignored every aspect of this vaccine rollout, and the consequences of such are the short supplies we are currently experiencing.


I mean, it's hard to understand because you're wrong.

We had more than enough vaccine ordered before inauguration to account for every single man, woman and child in the United States. I'm not sorry that Biden ordered another 100m for July when we probably won't need it anymore. It's always good to have backup plans and there's a lot of diplomacy goodwill to be built when we give them away.

But order levels had nothing to do with why we have shortages now.
3 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:
bukie wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:A quick google says we have 400 million of the Moderna and Pfizer shots ordered and another 100 million of J&J once it’s approved with the ability to order more, what am I missing? And we’ve already administered ~75 million with more being delivered and manufactured daily so that’s more than 20 million right there.

They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. The Trump administration botched or outright ignored every aspect of this vaccine rollout, and the consequences of such are the short supplies we are currently experiencing.


I know the Trump administration declined to buy more vaccines (specifically Pfizer). But I have never seen as low as numbers as you are talking about. I have always seen articles like this that suggest that the US had bought 100 million Pfizer, 100 million Moderna, 100 million J and J, and 500 million AstroZeneca.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/covid-v ... tored.html

NOne of those things say the US purchased. For other countries they specially say things like bought, agree to buy, purchased, for the US it says stuff like "moderna commited to provide, or agreed to procure.

I don't recall the story but there was a big one that came out saying the US declined to make a purchase they had talked about making around this time.

I think the biggest thing is the Trump administration, like all conservative scumbags and their apologists, wanted the federal government to stay out of it, and pit the states against each other. Because Republicans are terrible people who don't give a horsefeathers about this country.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubColtPacer wrote:
bukie wrote:They are now ordered, as in have been ordered within the last 4 weeks and are in the process of distribution. However, the reason that we are currently under provisioned is that the previous administration seriously dropped the ball, numerous times, on this.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. The Trump administration botched or outright ignored every aspect of this vaccine rollout, and the consequences of such are the short supplies we are currently experiencing.


I know the Trump administration declined to buy more vaccines (specifically Pfizer). But I have never seen as low as numbers as you are talking about. I have always seen articles like this that suggest that the US had bought 100 million Pfizer, 100 million Moderna, 100 million J and J, and 500 million AstroZeneca.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/covid-v ... tored.html

NOne of those things say the US purchased. For other countries they specially say things like bought, agree to buy, purchased, for the US it says stuff like "moderna commited to provide, or agreed to procure.

I don't recall the story but there was a big one that came out saying the US declined to make a purchase they had talked about making around this time.

I think the biggest thing is the Trump administration, like all conservative scumbags and their apologists, wanted the federal government to stay out of it, and pit the states against each other. Because Republicans are terrible people who don't give a horsefeathers about this country.


I always thought the "US declined to buy another 100m" story was kind of dumb because it ran right alongside all the stories about how bad it was that rich countries were buying all the vaccine and not letting poor countries have any.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 pm

I'm not in love with the case numbers I'm seeing from states yesterday and today. We're still pretty far down over two weeks ago, but we're seeing some plateaus or even gain over last week. Probably just the effect of reporting being down during the snowstorms and then catching up now, but worth keeping an eye on.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 am



Another day of meh numbers. Slight week over week case increase, small hospital drop. We're still way down from two weeks ago.

A lot of people seem convinced it's just states clearing backlogs from the storms and we'll be back to drops by the end of the week. They're probably right, but I don't want to assume that just because it's a more positive explanation and fits my prior expectation that cases would keep falling.
0 x

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 765
x 243

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://twitter.com/user/status/1364297033679527941

Another day of meh numbers. Slight week over week case increase, small hospital drop. We're still way down from two weeks ago.

A lot of people seem convinced it's just states clearing backlogs from the storms and we'll be back to drops by the end of the week. They're probably right, but I don't want to assume that just because it's a more positive explanation and fits my prior expectation that cases would keep falling.

I do wonder if we might be in for a bit of a plateau in cases (or at least a significant slow down in drop) until the weather gets much nicer and the vaccination rate approaches much higher overall numbers. So maybe a slower decline in March, but then the virus gets ko'd in april.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12696
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 73
x 237

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby stitchface » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm

How do the theories based on weather explain the curves in places like California?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 pm

stitchface wrote:How do the theories based on weather explain the curves in places like California?


It doesn't singularly explain it anywhere; it just can be one of many factors. Winter in CA is still winter for the people living there, and while it's not as cold as many other parts of the country, it's still a season that impacts the behavior patterns of the people that live there along the lines of spending more time indoors. Bottom line: nicer weather is by no means a cure-all or fix for this, but it does help mitigate the spread simply by allowing people to be outdoors more and to have better ventilation due to open windows. Too cold or too hot just exacerbates the ideal settings for this to spread (too many people indoors together for too long).

IMO, California's winter surge is likely due to a virus variant(s) introduction into the population combined with segments of the population being hit by it that hadn't been before (younger, healthier, etc.). It's hard to say for sure since the seroprevalence in the US has generally been terrible.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1104
x 1689

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Bertz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 pm



It's interesting that these sorts of analyses basically affirm that things were worst last spring, while things like Covid-19 Projections say that the spring and summer peaks were of similar-ish size, and we're both dwarfed by this last winter.

I wonder if that's a sign that:

- Doctors got a lot better at treatments over time
- Because NYC literally hit hospital capacity, that temporarily skewed the fatality rate way up
- C19-P's spring numbers are way off, because for a while testing was so bad not even every hospitalization got a test
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 am



Hospitals down by a reasonable but non-spectactular amount. Cases up a little again. Still need to wait a few days to see if this is something real or if last week's weirdness caused it.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 am

Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.
4 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:41 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.


Borrrrrring.
4 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5473
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1629
x 1254
Contact:

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby NOLA » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 am

1 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12696
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 73
x 237

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby stitchface » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants and still trying to get enough people vaccinated.


exactly
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27998
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9257
x 6148

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants.

Sir this is a baseball message board, oh wait, that’s exactly how baseball should be observed and analyzed.
5 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably best to not dwell on it on such a day-to-day basis. This stuff is going to go up and down, between the variants.

Sir this is a baseball message board, oh wait, that’s exactly how baseball should be observed and analyzed.


Image
3 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63030
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11508
x 6341

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby David » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm

Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.
3 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 167
x 148

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby ChiCubsFan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ccine.html

I suck at the internets... but it shows all Covid deaths compared to nursing home Covid deaths.
2 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Soul
Resident Cat Lady
Posts: 41742
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: In the throes of Cub madness
x 61
x 160

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Soul » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/25/us/nursing-home-covid-vaccine.html

I suck at the internets... but it shows all Covid deaths compared to nursing home Covid deaths.

That’s truly incredible.
1 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85222
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16335
x 18530

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Got my first Pfizer dose today.

Image
4 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 35
x 387

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Got my first Pfizer dose today.

Image

Sidenote - I am just now realizing how ridiculous the green-painted Lou Ferrigno Hulk character actually looked.
1 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:07 pm

David wrote:Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.


I think there's a decent chance the FDA ends up punting on it. We're pretty much saturated at this point.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35957
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1110
x 7942

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm

My mother has her first dose scheduled for Tuesday and is trying to get my dad scheduled.

My daughter has both of hers.
1 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62677
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3542
x 12656

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.


I think there's a decent chance the FDA ends up punting on it. We're pretty much saturated at this point.

There's 7 billion people in the world
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 36058
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2791
x 3673

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:Got a thank you card PDF thing implying a pending conclusion of the AstraZeneca study. seems like we may have some US results on it soon.


I think there's a decent chance the FDA ends up punting on it. We're pretty much saturated at this point.

There's 7 billion people in the world


Are a lot of them waiting on the US results to decide what to do on AZ?
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bertz, Derwood, javy knows my name and 6 guests