♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: ♫ Star Wars, nothing but...Star Wars! ♫

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
maybe you're right in this but this complaint pops up every. single. time. and more often than not it's wrong.

Hey, agree to disagree. Personally, I think more shows out there are mediocre or bad than actually good.

And that's really not some, "oh, I'm too good for all this horsefeathers" nonsense; that's just the result of the insane amount of content that exists nowadays; you're bound to get a lot more stuff that ultimately just doesn't work, or only barely/kinda works or whatever.

oh yeah i get that, most of the stuff now is unwatchable. all my friends were going nuts about the witcher so i watched it with my wife over the last couple weeks. terrible.

My GF loves that show, too; I punched out after 3 episodes.

But, hey, more stuff we don't like also means more stuff we do like. Too much, if we're gonna be real about it...I'm gonna die with a watchlist years long.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:01 pm

Maybe "it's all been done" already, but the big action sequences in this show have, well, "been done already".

Speeder chase through tight city streets? Solo movie

Hijacking a train? Solo movie

Giant sand creature on Tatooine? Mandalorian

And it's really limiting that this show is locked into a single location, so no space fights, no variety to the locations, etc. Mandalorian was smart to keep him moving between planets
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:03 pm

But space fights have been done already, too.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Spoiler: show
I think the show is setting up to be more of a tie-in to Solo than anything else. I think Boba is going to end up fighting the Pyke syndicate who are behind the Hutts.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:But space fights have been done already, too.

Of course, but this show is written such that a lot of options aren’t available. AND the derivative stuff is inferior to the original versions
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:24 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:But space fights have been done already, too.

Of course, but this show is written such that a lot of options aren’t available. AND the derivative stuff is inferior to the original versions

It's just your standard for what is "derivative" is really paint-a-show-into-a-corner-broad. Like, that other movies, or even other SW movies or shows, have had things like car chases and train heists or giant monsters doesn't automatically make it derivative if a similar situation shows up here; if it was, then, yes, just having a space battle or a lightsaber fight or even just seeing Boba Fett is hopelessly derivative (and, yeah, I know THOSE people who would say that are actually out there).

You can do things with similar settings; it all comes down to the details. The train heist in Solo and the train attack in BoBF aren't alike outside of that it's people robbing or attacking some kind of train in the SW universe.

And sticking mostly to a single planet isn't inherently a problem, either. If you tell a good story, should it really matter? Though that seems like a big "if" right now...
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:07 pm

I mean, I definitely thought of Power Rangers with the biker kids....and that chase scene was the slowest chase scene ever rofl....but outside of that it was enjoyable enough.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:14 pm

I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not blown away.

One of my main complaints is that Fennec, who is a cool character in her own right, is just...there. She's getting no arc of her own and if you took her away from the story it wouldn't change much at all.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Tim wrote:I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not blown away.

One of my main complaints is that Fennec, who is a cool character in her own right, is just...there. She's getting no arc of her own and if you took her away from the story it wouldn't change much at all.

I'm kinda thinking/hoping she was in on Boba getting jumped by Krrsanatan, because otherwise where the hell was she?
0 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:28 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Tim wrote:I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not blown away.

I'm kinda thinking/hoping she was in on Boba getting jumped by Krrsanatan, because otherwise where the hell was she?

..and how'd he get in? He's not really inconspicuous. She also saves him from getting shot when she throws the knife causing him to drop into the pit. Not related but I thought he looked a little odd sprinting off after BF let's him go.
1 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:34 pm

chopsx9 wrote:Not related but I thought he looked a little odd sprinting off after BF let's him go.

My GF laughed so hard at that part; dude just casually jogs off camera into the desert, I guess.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:38 pm

Plus it was funny how they set up this running thing of Boba building up his gang by being merciful...Fennec, the pig guards, the Space Mod Squad, so at that point I'm all, "horsefeathers yeah, now he's gonna spare Krrsantan, and he's gonna join up and be ripping horsefeathers up an-...oh. Guess he's just gonna nope outta here like a dude scrambling to get off stage. Oh well."
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
And sticking mostly to a single planet isn't inherently a problem, either. If you tell a good story, should it really matter? Though that seems like a big "if" right now...

I'd be cool with sticking to one planet if it wasn't the most overused planet in the Star Wars universe.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I'd be cool with sticking to one planet if it wasn't the most overused planet in the Star Wars universe.

I mean, they can just keep introducing new aliens and monsters and cities and whatnot there, same as any other planet. I get what you're saying; they go back there a LOT, but in this galaxy, being on the same planet doesn't really preclude them from showing us horsefeathers we haven't seen before.

Plus, let's face it; all of this SW stuff is going to rely a ton on, "hey, remember THIS?!?" So, yeah, some stuff is gonna be new, but a LOT is just going to be to get the nostalgia going.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I mean, they can just keep introducing new aliens and monsters and cities and whatnot there, same as any other planet. I get what you're saying; they go back there a LOT, but in this galaxy, being on the same planet doesn't really preclude them from showing us horsefeathers we haven't seen before.

Plus, let's face it; all of this SW stuff is going to rely a ton on, "hey, remember THIS?!?" So, yeah, some stuff is gonna be new, but a LOT is just going to be to get the nostalgia going.

I hear a lot (and agree) that people want them to hit a giant RESET button and start a whole new narrative within the Star Wars universe, but you just KNOW that as soon as they do that, people will complain that "it's not like the stuff I liked as a kid"
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm

Derwood wrote:I hear a lot (and agree) that people want them to hit a giant RESET button and start a whole new narrative within the Star Wars universe, but you just KNOW that as soon as they do that, people will complain that "it's not like the stuff I liked as a kid"

Exactly. It's always going to be some degree of a tightrope walk because that's just what it is at this point; it's never going to be that new thing again.

When certain people start diving hard into the idea that they want a "totally new/different SW" or whatever, the ideas they have just end being something completely different than SW. Like, it's not hard to find goobers who will be all, "OK, I want SW without Sith or Jedi or lightsabers or the Empire or the Rebels or the Republic or the Force or anything to do with anyone we've met so far..."

Alright, so you don't want SW then.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Deleted scene from ep 3...

4 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 pm

Banedon wrote:Deleted scene from ep 3...

It’s that, plus their clumsy version of “Star Wars steam punk” that they threw onto the water thieves.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 pm

That image isn't loading on my work computer, so sorry if I'm just repeating it, but I almost immediately started thinking of these guys:

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That image isn't loading on my work computer, so sorry if I'm just repeating it, but I almost immediately started thinking of these guys:

Nah mine was power rangers on motorcycles.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:That image isn't loading on my work computer, so sorry if I'm just repeating it, but I almost immediately started thinking of these guys:

Nah mine was power rangers on motorcycles.

Honestly, can't help but enjoy how profoundly silly these things are sometimes.

Mod bikers in space? OK, I'm with you so far. Alright, but they're also straight up cyberpunks that look like something straight out of an early 90's CD-ROM game! And their scooters look like decapitated Daleks, and they're gonna ride them in a chase that's gonna make THIS look like some kind of insane death race!

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:41 pm

Do you LOVE Star Wars but HATE anime?

Watch "Star Wars: Visions", and walk away feeling really conflicted!
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:38 pm

Derwood wrote:Do you LOVE Star Wars but HATE anime?

Now THAT I thought was one of the very best SW movies/series in a while. More of that kinda thing, please.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:Do you LOVE Star Wars but HATE anime?

Now THAT I thought was one of the very best SW movies/series in a while. More of that kinda thing, please.

Nope, have to disagree. I've only seen four of them, but oof, yikes, no, really bad.
0 x

Return to “Social”