Music Thread 2.0

The Logan
Superstar

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby The Logan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:12 pm

seanimal wrote:we can only assume the master tapes for these recordings are long gone, so the historian in me wants you to create digital copies of the records like john maloof dutifully scanning vivian maier's photographs

We are looking into a turntable that can digitize as well. We've got some records that are very valuable, and what makes me absolutely bonkers about this stuff is the more valuable it is hinges on how good the music is, not how rare it is. So if we have the only record in existence of "Gregorian Chants of Eastern Europe" but we have a beat up copy of Nick Ingman's "Big Beat" which is out there in troves in original and re-release copies, "Big Beat" wins.

So as we were uncovering the value of these records, we were discovering the music quality is better the higher it is, which is pretty fun. This is why we are interested into a turntable that can digitize them, so we can keep the LP version after we sell. Which we don't know when that will be, so...

BTW, you should listen to "Big Beat". It slaps.

0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:20 pm

The Logan wrote:
seanimal wrote:we can only assume the master tapes for these recordings are long gone, so the historian in me wants you to create digital copies of the records like john maloof dutifully scanning vivian maier's photographs

We are looking into a turntable that can digitize as well. We've got some records that are very valuable, and what makes me absolutely bonkers about this stuff is the more valuable it is hinges on how good the music is, not how rare it is. So if we have the only record in existence of "Gregorian Chants of Eastern Europe" but we have a beat up copy of Nick Ingman's "Big Beat" which is out there in troves in original and re-release copies, "Big Beat" wins.

So as we were uncovering the value of these records, we were discovering the music quality is better the higher it is, which is pretty fun. This is why we are interested into a turntable that can digitize them, so we can keep the LP version after we sell. Which we don't know when that will be, so...

welcome to the world of record collecting!

stupid nerd alert: i started digitizing my record collection in 2001 and it is an absolute godsend. you won't regret it!
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 pm

cl smooth wrote:
The Logan wrote:

stupid nerd alert: i started digitizing my record collection in 2001 and it is an absolute godsend. you won't regret it!

Isn't digitizing an analog collection kind of defeating the purpose? I mean, I'm sure its very possible to digitize it so that its completely indistinguishable, but still.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:10 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
The Logan wrote:

Isn't digitizing an analog collection kind of defeating the purpose? I mean, I'm sure its very possible to digitize it so that its completely indistinguishable, but still.

the difference is in what is being digitized. the mp3's on streaming services are typically re-mixed from the master or something like that where the output is a re-rendered version of the source material. digitizing from the vinyl captures a) the unique mix and b) anything additive in the "signal chain" like the needle, the pre-amp, etc. associated with the vinyl playback
3 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:12 pm

cl smooth wrote:
The Logan wrote:

For logistical purposes. I always have my iPod on me (not a big Spotify/streaming guy) so to have a large chunk of my collection on me to listen to whenever is huge.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

cl smooth wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

For logistical purposes. I always have my iPod on me (not a big Spotify/streaming guy) so to have a large chunk of my collection on me to listen to whenever is huge.

What format do you use?
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:15 pm

seanimal wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

the difference is in what is being digitized. the mp3's on streaming services are typically re-mixed from the master or something like that where the output is a re-rendered version of the source material. digitizing from the vinyl captures a) the unique mix and b) anything additive in the "signal chain" like the needle, the pre-amp, etc. associated with the vinyl playback

Oh, the sweet, sweet pain of those gigantic FLAC files.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:36 pm

cl smooth wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Isn't digitizing an analog collection kind of defeating the purpose? I mean, I'm sure its very possible to digitize it so that its completely indistinguishable, but still.

What format do you use?

current setup is as follows:

2x technics 1200 m3d turntables with shure m44-7 cartridge
1x rane ttm-56 mixer
1x rme babyface audio interface

1. record to wave in pro tools
2. use a few click and crackle removal plugins to move some of the pops from older vinyl
3. save the master wave files to a 8 TB hard drive
4. encode the wave files to 320 kbps mp3 files for itunes/ipod use

as far as metadata goes, i use the tag&rename software to edit the id3 info for each album. with the software, i'm able to add album cover info to each file as well as catalogue number and record label information.
4 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:21 pm

the lack of a rational tagging syntax is probably my biggest gripe with digital catalogs. in particular, the feature artists should not be listed in a parenthetical on the artist tag, mostly because this fragments the catalog but also because it is dumb
2 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
seanimal wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Isn't digitizing an analog collection kind of defeating the purpose? I mean, I'm sure its very possible to digitize it so that its completely indistinguishable, but still.

less of an issue these days! i actually can't hear the difference between lossless and 320kbs mp3's, which i consider a blessing because it makes my life easier and less expensive
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Not enough nerd here...it's all about moar gooder humongous DSD files for true audiophiles now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 pm

seanimal wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
seanimal wrote:

less of an issue these days! i actually can't hear the difference between lossless and 320kbs mp3's, which i consider a blessing because it makes my life easier and less expensive

This is true; I switched to 320 a while ago. I just still have a huge collection of older FLACs that some day, SOME DAY, I'll finally downsize.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm

The Dig on Netflix. Watch it. It is a beautiful movie. Just immaculate.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Fake or not, this cracked me up:

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/09/t ... -skeleton/

A MetalSucks reader calling himself Prince Midnight has made a guitar out of his dead uncle’s rendered skeleton.

You read that correctly, but if your mind is spinning, I’ll lay it out plainly for you: Prince attached a guitar neck, pickups, volume knobs, a jack, strings and electronics… to an entire skeleton that used to host his uncle’s mortal being.

And he made a functioning guitar out of it all as a way to pay tribute to the man responsible for his love of heavy metal.

Prince isn’t some kind of morbid skeleton fetishist (at least as far as we know), but rather sought to come up with a practical solution on what to do with his uncle’s remains. In Prince’s native Greece, the country’s orthodox religion frowns upon cremation. So his uncle Filip’s bones had been around for over two decades before Prince decided to pay tribute to the man who taught him about the dark arts in the most metal way possible.

(I was also kind of amazed that MetalSucks is still around)
1 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:13 pm

the guitar is metal af but the wig not so much
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:51 pm

0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:09 pm

seanimal wrote:so glad these guys got their own day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ&ab_channel=telstratouchfone

First song I heard on q 101 after I switched over from b 96.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 am

Dumpster Vinyl update: Finally got a turntable. Picked up a Sony PS-LX310BT, does Bluetooth AND USB connection so I can rip albums as well as play them anywhere in the house. Got it on an open box special from Best Buy for $40 off, too. Score.

Already in love with this thing and these records.
4 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:08 am

It dawned on me that that Nevermind turns 30 this year (Sept.)

Good God.

Then The Chronic will turn 30 next year
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:14 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:It dawned on me that that Nevermind turns 30 this year (Sept.)

Good God.

Then The Chronic will turn 30 next year

In a similar vein, today is the 20 year anniversary of the All Your Base Are Belong to Us video.
2 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:14 pm

I recently discovered Can by watching a rather terrible movie {The Gentlemen). The song Vitamin C is used as Michelle Dockerys character introduction. Anyhoo, I liked the song, looked them up and while Ege Bamyasi is a nice album, their third Tago Mago blew me away. It might be the best start to finish album of all time, IMO.

They aren't a new creation either: formed in the late 1960's In Germany. I love finding bands like this, ones I had no idea existed only to discover them post their existence with their entire discography left for me to swim in.
5 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:16 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I recently discovered Can by watching a rather terrible movie {The Gentlemen). The song Vitamin C is used as Michelle Dockerys character introduction. Anyhoo, I liked the song, looked them up and while Ege Bamyasi is a nice album, their third Tago Mago blew me away. It might be the best start to finish album of all time, IMO.

They aren't a new creation either: formed in the late 1960's In Germany. I love finding bands like this, ones I had no idea existed only to discover them post their existence with their entire discography left for me to swim in.

Can’s discography is amazing. Classic grooves and incredible drumming. Hell of a first step into the world of Krautrock.
6 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm

cl smooth wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

What format do you use?

1x rane ttm-56 mixer

2. use a few click and crackle removal plugins to move some of the pops from older vinyl

as far as metadata goes, i use the tag&rename software to edit the id3 info for each album. with the software, i'm able to add album cover info to each file as well as catalogue number and record label information.

Dump that stylus and pick up a Stanton 680, 6800 (any one in the series EE/s, EEE, etc) or Pickering XL-33U if you can find one, and you'll be a lot happier. Of course, a Shure V15 would be the real prize, but $$$$$

(Stanton made a ton of 680 and 6800, as did Pickering and you can still find NOS for $50-100 or so. They will give you the same lossless playback that your really nice DJ stylus will, and you can place the m44-7 in a protective box, bringing it out for only the most cherished events)

(nice TT's btw)
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:What format do you use?

1x rane ttm-56 mixer

Dump that stylus and pick up a Stanton 680, 6800 (any one in the series EE/s, EEE, etc) or Pickering XL-33U if you can find one, and you'll be a lot happier. Of course, a Shure V15 would be the real prize, but $$$$$

(nice TT's btw)

Purchased my 1200s back in 2001 and they still operate like the day I bought them. Those models are built like no other piece of electronics I own; they will outlive and outlast all of us. Just an absolute testament to quality.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my stylus to an EMT XSD 15 but that will happen later in the year. The M44-7s have been a workhorse since I use them for both listening and scratching.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:34 pm

cl smooth wrote:Purchased my 1200s back in 2001 and they still operate like the day I bought them. Those models are built like no other piece of electronics I own; they will outlive and outlast all of us. Just an absolute testament to quality.

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my stylus to an EMT XSD 15 but that will happen later in the year. The M44-7s have been a workhorse since I use them for both listening and scratching.

I've got an older 1200 mk2 and a Denon dp1100. the technics are the classic DJ set up, but I also really like the older Denons. Both are built like tanks w/not much to go bad in either one
0 x

Return to “Social”