Music Thread 2.0

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I can't even think of one besides the Thin Lizzy version worth a damn.


for some reason, when i read those words, my mind is hearing the chorus of this



i don't know if there was some commercial or something that stamped this song into my brain as a kid (it definitely wasn't from 48 hrs), but i almost can't even think the thin lizzy version without listening to it
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 pm

I have zero memory of ever hearing that before now.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63787
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2906
x 3102

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 pm

That's the one that was in Ghostbusters isn't it? (Nevermind, same group...different song)

But yeah, I think of the Thin Lizzy version.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm

So that version is apparently in two movies I have probably seen a dozen times combined and I wouldn't have been able to recognize it even with a gun to my head. Weird.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So that version is apparently in two movies I have probably seen a dozen times combined and I wouldn't have been able to recognize it even with a gun to my head. Weird.


according to wikipedia it's been used in a bunch of sports related commercials too
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:11 am

Is Chance the Rapper a good dude? No, he's the BEST DUDE:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/rahm-e ... 1820297689

The Chicago native took time out of his busy schedule of building a résumé for sainthood to do some more positive horsefeathers that both you and I say we need to do for our community, but both of us know good and [expletive] well we aren’t going to no damn city-budget-planning meeting. But Chance the Great Human will. Because he’s better than us.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Chance showed up at a Chicago City Council meeting Tuesday to oppose the city’s plans to spend $95 million to build a police training academy. Wait ... I think the last sentence has a mistake.


I’m pretty sure Chicago is not spending damn near $100 million on law enforcement. Besides shooting black kids in the face and being nowhere to be found when other black kids shoot black kids in the face, do Chicago cops even do anything? You don’t need $95 million to build a face-shooting center. What are they spending that money on? Faces? I think that figure was actually supposed to be $9.50. Let me check.

Nope, it’s $95 million.

Anyway, Chancelor Bennett ... damn, even his real name is better than ours. If my name was Chancelor, I wouldn’t even use a nickname. You can’t have a name like Chancelor and not be excellent as horsefeathers. And handsome. All Chancelors are handsome. Look it up. Chance patiently waited for his turn to speak, but when his turn came, Rahm Emanuel, the mayor of Chicago and tiny genital wart on Satan’s third penis (he has five), stood up and left.

Many speculate that Emanuel is tired of Chance the Angel Heart’s activism, but my investigative reporting told me that Emanuel had a medical emergency—specifically, that Emanuel’s layer of humanoid skin was beginning to blister because his evil soul was going into anaphylactic shock after being exposed to Chance’s goodness.




Sadly, the aldermen voted 48-1 to spend $95 million on a horsefeathering police academy. And the mayor couldn't even be bothered to stick around to listen to a GREAT DUDE who gave his broke-ass city a million bucks to spend to the Chicago school system.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 am

$95M doesn't seem like much compared to that CTA station renovatoin that ran $200M that I thought had to be a misprint.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:22 am

David wrote:$95M doesn't seem like much compared to that CTA station renovatoin that ran $200M that I thought had to be a misprint.


Which horsefeathering station?!? That's bonkers.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:$95M doesn't seem like much compared to that CTA station renovatoin that ran $200M that I thought had to be a misprint.


Which horsefeathering station?!? That's bonkers.


http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... 00-million

edit -

oh yeah and then there was this crazy ass thing

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigatio ... 54431.html
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 am

Alright, Wilson is, admittedly, a horsefeathers hole where I regularly felt like the platform was going to collapse, but that number seems stupidly obscene.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 am



this is good
2 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 am

This city is so horsefeathers.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:34 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Alright, Wilson is, admittedly, a horsefeathers hole where I regularly felt like the platform was going to collapse, but that number seems stupidly obscene.


yup and yup

http://wgntv.com/2017/10/23/crustiest-s ... on-debuts/

here's what it looks like now
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:07 pm

I mean, it's a definite upgrade, by right by that story they have a link to how the new Washington-Wabash station opened (called the "gold standard" by hizz onner himself) earlier this year that cost $75 million. I'm not saying the cost for each station would be the same, but if it cost $75 million to basically construct a new one and $200 horsefeathering million to renovate Wilson, then why the horsefeathers go with the $200 million option?*

This one has a breakdown of recent station costs:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/ct ... story.html

Cermak-McCormick Place Green Line stop in the South Loop
Cost: $50 million paid for with tax-increment funds, taxpayer money intended to spur redevelopment in communities
Features: The new station, expected to open later this year, will have elevators and covered canopies.

Washington/Wabash stop in the Loop
Cost: $75 million paid for with federal funds
Features: The new station, a combination of the Randolph/Wabash and Madison/Wabash stops, will have escalators, elevators and bike racks and is expected to open in 2016.

California, Damen and Western Blue Line stops on the West Side
Cost: $33 million paid for with local, state and federal funds
Features: Work being completed this year includes stationhouse and platform repairs. The Damen and California stations, which are not accessible for riders with disabilities, will not receive elevators or escalators in this project. The Western stop is already accessible.

Clark/Division Red Line stop in Old Town
Cost: $50 million paid for with federal funds
Features: The project, which is expected to be completed next year, includes a new mezzanine at LaSalle and Division streets, two new elevators and three new escalators.

Wilson Red Line stop in Uptown
Cost: $203 million, paid for with federal, state and TIF funds
Features: The station, expected to be done in fall 2017, will have a main entrance and two auxiliary entrances, elevators and escalators, more security cameras and better lighting.

95th Street Red Line stop in Roseland
Cost: $240 million, paid for with federal grants, state funds and CTA bonds
Features: The station, expected to be done in 2017, will have buildings north and south of 95th Street, additional escalators and elevators and expanded platforms.


I mean, something like 95th makes sense since it's a terminus and has a massive amount of daily traffic and bus services and the like, so if its something like that or Howard or Belmont, the Wilson numbers make more sense (makes me wonder how much the Fullerton makeover cost).

*We all know why.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

I guess Obama approved a huge grant (like over a billion IIRC) to do a bunch more work on the trains before he left office. Remember hearing something about extending the red line at the south end too.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 14830
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 222
x 297

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, it's a definite upgrade, by right by that story they have a link to how the new Washington-Wabash station opened (called the "gold standard" by hizz onner himself) earlier this year that cost $75 million. I'm not saying the cost for each station would be the same, but if it cost $75 million to basically construct a new one and $200 horsefeathering million to renovate Wilson, then why the horsefeathers go with the $200 million option?*

This one has a breakdown of recent station costs:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/ct ... story.html

Cermak-McCormick Place Green Line stop in the South Loop
Cost: $50 million paid for with tax-increment funds, taxpayer money intended to spur redevelopment in communities
Features: The new station, expected to open later this year, will have elevators and covered canopies.

Washington/Wabash stop in the Loop
Cost: $75 million paid for with federal funds
Features: The new station, a combination of the Randolph/Wabash and Madison/Wabash stops, will have escalators, elevators and bike racks and is expected to open in 2016.

California, Damen and Western Blue Line stops on the West Side
Cost: $33 million paid for with local, state and federal funds
Features: Work being completed this year includes stationhouse and platform repairs. The Damen and California stations, which are not accessible for riders with disabilities, will not receive elevators or escalators in this project. The Western stop is already accessible.

Clark/Division Red Line stop in Old Town
Cost: $50 million paid for with federal funds
Features: The project, which is expected to be completed next year, includes a new mezzanine at LaSalle and Division streets, two new elevators and three new escalators.

Wilson Red Line stop in Uptown
Cost: $203 million, paid for with federal, state and TIF funds
Features: The station, expected to be done in fall 2017, will have a main entrance and two auxiliary entrances, elevators and escalators, more security cameras and better lighting.

95th Street Red Line stop in Roseland
Cost: $240 million, paid for with federal grants, state funds and CTA bonds
Features: The station, expected to be done in 2017, will have buildings north and south of 95th Street, additional escalators and elevators and expanded platforms.


I mean, something like 95th makes sense since it's a terminus and has a massive amount of daily traffic and bus services and the like, so if its something like that or Howard or Belmont, the Wilson numbers make more sense (makes me wonder how much the Fullerton makeover cost).

*We all know why.



When i read about 80’ deep caissons, i can tell you where a BIG chunk of that $200 mil is going. Add to the idea that a *new station would likely cost much more then $75 mil if its built on that site. And if you move it, now your talking land acquirement - you have to buy land owners out. Having worked with Sound Transit on their lightrail extensions, i can tell you that train stations tend to blow the general populations idea of “a realistic budget” because the public so often neglects the idea that you are running a freaking TRAIN over a building. Rail stations also take on 50-100 year design principles which beefs up their structure, complicates product selections, etc.

On one hand, i get the hand wrangling on Rahm’s good fortune receiving the Obama money and what he wants to do with it. On the other hand, welcome to the costs of public transportation.

Oh, horsefeathers Rahm and his Nazi academy. Like chicago cops need a bigger donut shop. Build schools
3 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm

horsefeathers, and that's not even getting into how badly they need to expand the L into other parts of the city, too. They need whole new lines.
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 14830
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 222
x 297

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm

After looking at the renderings on that tribune link, i tend to think we do a better job: https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... JsQJCvvpuM:
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56303
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1549
x 5014

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

take it to the infrastructure thread you train nerds*

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=221&p=151121&hilit=infrastructure#p151121



*I enjoy train talk
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 14830
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 222
x 297

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, and that's not even getting into how badly they need to expand the L into other parts of the city, too. They need whole new lines.



Hire me. I have experience
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 70485
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5870
x 7869

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, and that's not even getting into how badly they need to expand the L into other parts of the city, too. They need whole new lines.



Hire me. I have experience


Image
3 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63787
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2906
x 3102

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, and that's not even getting into how badly they need to expand the L into other parts of the city, too. They need whole new lines.



Hire me. I have experience


Image


Image
3 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58384
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5654
x 3419

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
bd811
All-Star
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 693
x 359

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby bd811 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, and that's not even getting into how badly they need to expand the L into other parts of the city, too. They need whole new lines.


an acquaintance of mine tweeted this out a few years ago and i really wish this could become a reality: http://vision.transitfuture.org/
2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21540
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 473
x 756

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 am

jesse lacey from brand new is not a guy i expected to be outed as a predator, although i probably should have, looking back at some lyrics
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vance_the_cubs_fan and 6 guests