Music Thread 2.0

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 am

DiceMan4221 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:Let's just all agree that the Beatles were a prolific band that wrote and preformed really catchy and often extremely creative and influential songs, and leave superlatives like "genius" and "one of the greatest wits of their generation" to the people who write obits.

I’ll withdraw the superlative on Lennon if you do the same with the erroneous pejorative you threw at Paul.

Never. Paul is my 3rd fav Beatle.

He’s my 4th. I love the man and have now seen him play six times, but I feel quite certain he’s actually a bigger douche than John was.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Jóhann Jóhannsson Dead at 48

the hell? the sicario score is incredible.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Whoa. That's terrible. I only knew his film score work, but he usually delivered.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

A co-worker of mine is a pretty hardcore Pearl Jam fanboy and wanted me to ask if any Cubs season ticket holders got a seating chart for the Wrigley show this summer?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

https://www.avclub.com/heres-why-you-do ... 1822926904

According to the data, the average man’s musical taste is developed between the ages of 13 and 16, while a woman’s takes shape between the ages of 11 and 14. Data also revealed that the early 20s are “half as influential” in determining adult musical tastes as their early teens. Radiohead’s “Creep,” for example, is the 164th most popular song among 38-year-old men—who would’ve been 13 when the song was released—while it’s not even in the top 300 for those born a decade earlier or later.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Banedon wrote:https://www.avclub.com/heres-why-you-dont-like-new-music-any-more-1822926904

According to the data, the average man’s musical taste is developed between the ages of 13 and 16, while a woman’s takes shape between the ages of 11 and 14. Data also revealed that the early 20s are “half as influential” in determining adult musical tastes as their early teens. Radiohead’s “Creep,” for example, is the 164th most popular song among 38-year-old men—who would’ve been 13 when the song was released—while it’s not even in the top 300 for those born a decade earlier or later.

Yes that is probably true but it doesn't explain why some people like Sublime
5 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Also, most people stop listening to new music at some point in their 20's. I've never understood getting to 27 or 28 years old and saying "Welp, that's enough music for me! Listening to the same 20 CD's I wore out in college is all I'll ever need again!". I can't get enough new music in my life, but I'm definitely in the minority
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 pm

1 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Derwood wrote:Also, most people stop listening to new music at some point in their 20's.

they do? i literally cannot think of one person that this applies to. maybe in their late 30's or 40's (think of my parents) but 20's? nah.

everyone i work with (mostly late 20's) and most of my friends (early- to mid-30's all listen to new music). you must just happen to know a lot of squares or something.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

weis21 wrote:
Derwood wrote:Also, most people stop listening to new music at some point in their 20's.

they do? i literally cannot think of one person that this applies to. maybe in their late 30's or 40's (think of my parents) but 20's? nah.

everyone i work with (mostly late 20's) and most of my friends (early- to mid-30's all listen to new music). you must just happen to know a lot of squares or something.

i know a handful of people who stopped listening to new music once they hit their 20s and it's frightening. you want to hold an intervention and tell them there's more to music that britny fox, collective soul and the flys.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

weis21 wrote:

Well there are a lot of people who simply don’t care about music (they listen to whatever is on), but there are also a lot of people who gravitate towards their favorite music from college.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't think it's as cut and dry as repeating the same 200 songs for the rest of the your life, but I think, at least for me, there's definitely been a drop off in my interest in newly released music. Some of that is just the cliche 'kids these days listen to crap music' that most people go through, but I think with streaming services and access to so much music, a lot of people like myself are able to continue exploring in the genre (and/or time period) that they like the best.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm

squally1313 wrote:I don't think it's as cut and dry as repeating the same 200 songs for the rest of the your life, but I think, at least for me, there's definitely been a drop off in my interest in newly released music. Some of that is just the cliche 'kids these days listen to crap music' that most people go through, but I think with streaming services and access to so much music, a lot of people like myself are able to continue exploring in the genre (and/or time period) that they like the best.

Well yeah i don’t turn on the pop top 40 FM station or whatever anymore. But i still appreciate new rap (likely stuff not on the radio. And also some new rock and other random stuff.)

I guess it just read, “welp. I’m 25 so I’m good on trying to find new music!” To be sure i have go-to’s (though many of those are from the past 5 years in my 30’s) but I don’t really know anyone that just stops pursuing new music that young. I think it’s maybe just semantics, though, in how I read it.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 pm

weis21 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I don't think it's as cut and dry as repeating the same 200 songs for the rest of the your life, but I think, at least for me, there's definitely been a drop off in my interest in newly released music. Some of that is just the cliche 'kids these days listen to crap music' that most people go through, but I think with streaming services and access to so much music, a lot of people like myself are able to continue exploring in the genre (and/or time period) that they like the best.

Well yeah i don’t turn on the pop top 40 FM station or whatever anymore. But i still appreciate new rap (likely stuff not on the radio. And also some new rock and other random stuff.)

I guess it just read, “welp. I’m 25 so I’m good on trying to find new music!” To be sure i have go-to’s (though many of those are from the past 5 years in my 30’s) but I don’t really know anyone that just stops pursuing new music that young. I think it’s maybe just semantics, though, in how I read it.

Yeah, probably just semantics on the word 'new'. I spent my 'formative' music years listening to pop punk and rock, and now that I'm 30 it's mostly southern rock/alt country. On any given day/week, I'd guess 75% of the music I listen to comes from bands that don't produce music anymore (Grateful Dead, REM, Allman Brothers, I guess Petty now) or who peaked a while ago (Stones). I'm still finding music that's new to me, but it's mostly music that came out a while ago. Only a handful of musicians/bands who like, I'll track their album releases.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Compared to the guys in the Wrecking Crew? The Funk Brothers? The amazing players in Jones' orchestras? THOSE are the kinds of musicians that Jones relied on throughout his career, so of course McCartney's playing is going to come across as pretty damn amateurish to someone like Jones.

That's not to say that the Beatles weren't able to maximize their comparatively limited musical ability to make great music.

There's something to be said for playing with feel. Was B.B. King a virtuoso? Not even close but I'd much rather listen to him than some shredder that can play 200 mph while sounding like a robot. I respect the hell out of the talent guys like that have but it's just musical masturbation to my ears. McCartney wrote some killer, groovy bass lines and for that reason he is widely regarded as a "great" bass player.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Compared to the guys in the Wrecking Crew? The Funk Brothers? The amazing players in Jones' orchestras? THOSE are the kinds of musicians that Jones relied on throughout his career, so of course McCartney's playing is going to come across as pretty damn amateurish to someone like Jones.

That's not to say that the Beatles weren't able to maximize their comparatively limited musical ability to make great music.

There's something to be said for playing with feel. Was B.B. King a virtuoso? Not even close but I'd much rather listen to him than some shredder that can play 200 mph while sounding like a robot. I respect the hell out of the talent guys like that have but it's just musical masturbation to my ears. McCartney wrote some killer, groovy bass lines and for that reason he is widely regarded as a "great" bass player.

I don't care if The Big Bang Theory is widely regarded as a "great" comedy. It just ain't so.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm

That’s one of the worst analogies I’ve ever read
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Guys, guys; OMC already topped everyone with the goofiest of Beatles takes at the top of the page. We've moved on.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Derwood wrote:That’s one of the worst analogies I’ve ever read

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Up through my 20s my pursuit of new music was relentless and I gobbled up everything I could get my hands on and I ripped all my cds and carried about 30 gb worth of my favorite stuff everywhere on my phone. Put em on shuffle and I would rarely hear the same song twice in a week. Probably about 5 years ago I just gave up caring and the market is so over-saturated and now (well, recently) this mumble crap really took over. I drove uber on the side for a while and all those young passengers wanted to hear was the same top 40 garbage. Sometimes they'd ask for the aux cord and I'd be expecting something fresh and they'd just play the same horsefeathering crap that the FM station plays.

The funny thing is, I used to rap back in the days and I recorded plenty. When I was first cutting my teeth I would get comments that it sounded like I was reading off the paper and I had to liven up my delivery. Now I hear this modern stuff and just think I was ahead of my time. It's amazing how popular this lazy style has become. There used to be the debate of style vs substance and now the majority of them have neither. Sure you have Kendrick who just keeps getting better and better and there's a couple others that are decent but man most of this horsefeathers sounds like the stuff I was making back in 96-97 and getting quite a bit of flak for.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Up through my 20s my pursuit of new music was relentless and I gobbled up everything I could get my hands on and I ripped all my cds and carried about 30 gb worth of my favorite stuff everywhere on my phone. Put em on shuffle and I would rarely hear the same song twice in a week. Probably about 5 years ago I just gave up caring and the market is so over-saturated and now (well, recently) this mumble crap really took over. I drove uber on the side for a while and all those young passengers wanted to hear was the same top 40 garbage. Sometimes they'd ask for the aux cord and I'd be expecting something fresh and they'd just play the same horsefeathering crap that the FM station plays.

The funny thing is, I used to rap back in the days and I recorded plenty. When I was first cutting my teeth I would get comments that it sounded like I was reading off the paper and I had to liven up my delivery. Now I hear this modern stuff and just think I was ahead of my time. It's amazing how popular this lazy style has become. There used to be the debate of style vs substance and now the majority of them have neither. Sure you have Kendrick who just keeps getting better and better and there's a couple others that are decent but man most of this horsefeathers sounds like the stuff I was making back in 96-97 and getting quite a bit of flak for.

i drive uber on the side and there's no way i'm relinquishing control of the audio to my passengers. that's not a risk i'm willing to take.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Up through my 20s my pursuit of new music was relentless and I gobbled up everything I could get my hands on and I ripped all my cds and carried about 30 gb worth of my favorite stuff everywhere on my phone. Put em on shuffle and I would rarely hear the same song twice in a week. Probably about 5 years ago I just gave up caring and the market is so over-saturated and now (well, recently) this mumble crap really took over. I drove uber on the side for a while and all those young passengers wanted to hear was the same top 40 garbage. Sometimes they'd ask for the aux cord and I'd be expecting something fresh and they'd just play the same horsefeathering crap that the FM station plays.

i drive uber on the side and there's no way i'm relinquishing control of the audio to my passengers. that's not a risk i'm willing to take.
It would usually only happen on Saturday nights when people are too drunk to argue with but I hear ya
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

It would usually only happen on Saturday nights when people are too drunk to argue with but I hear ya

oh yeah, that makes sense. i've generally avoided the friday and saturday night rides.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

2 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Kendrick has been lapping the field for like 3 years now. This Black Panther soundtrack is simply not fair
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Return to “Social”