The Book Thread

cl smooth
All-Star

Re: The Book Thread

Postby cl smooth » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I flew through the book Best. Movie. Year. Ever. How 1999 Blew Up The Big Screen and that was a fun read. I graduated high school in 99 and watched so many movies back then, and im a pack rat so of course I save all my ticket stubs, especially movie ones. I dug them up the other day. Most of them were still legible. I can remember most of the people I saw these with, and how clueless we were about what the movies were about going in without the internet. I remember being talked into going to see The Apostle by my buddy who I found out later came from a super weird religious family. Lesson learned there. I can also remember going to the midnight showing of X-Files: Fight The Future and having no idea that people were going to be in costume and on drugs. Ahh memories.

Anyway, was a good book and I recommend.

staying on topic, the a.v. club is doing a 1999 week and they dropped their list of the best movies from '99:

https://film.avclub.com/the-best-movies ... 1836974523

spoiler alert: the phantom menace was nowhere to be found.

also on topic: the oldest movie stub i had up until last year was rumble in the bronx.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 pm

I think The Apostle is a damn fine film. It also did not come out in 1999.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: The Book Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:43 am

Butterscup wrote:I've finally gotten better at reading books (better as in i've read a handful this year which beats my total of maybe 3 over the last decade) and find myself alternating between true crime and comedy memoirs. Anyone have any suggestions for either? I recently read "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" and "A Murder in Music City" on the true crime side and "Born Standing Up" and "Everything is Horrible and Wonderful" on the memoir side and am about to start "Tragedy + Time" by Adam Cayton-Holland. Anyone have any favorite in either genre I should check out?
Harpo Speaks
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think The Apostle is a damn fine film. It also did not come out in 1999.

Well maybe I should watch it again, cause 16 year old me just wasn't into it. And I realize it didnt come out in '99. I only mentioned it because it was one of the stubs I found when I went looking for my '99 stubs.

98 stubs: The Apostle, Titanic, US Marshals, Big Lebowski, The Patriot, Armageddon (x3), Mercury Rising, X-Files: Fight the Future, Can't Hardly Wait, Out of Sight, There's Something About Mary, Saving Private Ryan, Disturbing Behavior, Rush Hour, The Waterboy
99 stubs: Analyze This, Cruel Intentions, Forces of Nature, The Matrix, Entrapment, The Mummy, Phantom Menace, Varsity Blues, Big Daddy (x2), Notting Hill, Summer of Sam, American Pie, The Blair Witch Project, Sixth Sense, Fight Club, The World is Not Enough, Deuce Bigelow, The Green Mile, Man on the Moon
0 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:48 pm

98 and 99 were fantastic years for movies.

My dad actually took 12-year-old me to see Saving Private Ryan and There’s Something About Mary in the theater when my mom and sister were away on some Girl Scout trip. Then we went out for Mexican. Good times.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Thanks to whoever suggested The Expanse series. The first two (audio) books are excellent. I'm just into the third.

I'm not sure how I got exposed to it in the first place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108

I'm on the First Law Trilogy now and things have really heated up in book 2. I read the first one and am doing audiobook for the 2nd.

Just finished this trilogy and I really enjoyed it. I did the audiobook for 2 and 3 and now I'm on to one of the one off books outside the trilogy. That third book, Last Argument of Kings, was fantastic.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: The Book Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Butterscup wrote:I've finally gotten better at reading books (better as in i've read a handful this year which beats my total of maybe 3 over the last decade) and find myself alternating between true crime and comedy memoirs. Anyone have any suggestions for either? I recently read "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" and "A Murder in Music City" on the true crime side and "Born Standing Up" and "Everything is Horrible and Wonderful" on the memoir side and am about to start "Tragedy + Time" by Adam Cayton-Holland. Anyone have any favorite in either genre I should check out?
Harpo Speaks

also as I mentioned in the other thread, The Man from the Train by Bill James (yes, THAT Bill James of baseball lore) and his daughter Rachel is fantastic. It is crime drama in the sense that they attempt to place several unsolved murders from around 1900-1920 in a sequence while alluding to (and eventually naming) who the killer really was. I read it in less than a week, and now I lock all my doors and windows at night. Read it, and you'll understand what I mean.

James is a vastly underrated writer.

eta: fwiw a few of the murders happened in your neck of the woods butters.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:31 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”