The Expanse (TV and books)

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

How many people are watching the Expanse? Any thoughts?

i was pretty excited about the show after reading the first few books of the series. The first episode was fairly meh and it took 2-3 of them before my wife had any interest, but it's been good for the first season. There's a lot of stuff that is just about impossible to translate into television, like the different body types of belters, but they've done a pretty good job showing what's what.

I'm not in love with the pretty boy they've made Holden, but the rest of the casting is great/surprising. It was good to see Lane Pryce and Cutty again.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46887
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 96
x 3293
Contact:

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 pm

I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Tim wrote:I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.

I just started the most recent one (nemesis game?) after reading the first three plus the cebola burn novella. I've got them through my kindle app and one half of the James SA Corey attached his book at the end for free (it was really confusing when kindle told me I was only 50% done as everything appeared to have winded down). It was The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I started going back and forth between the two series.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46887
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 96
x 3293
Contact:

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.

I just started the most recent one (nemesis game?) after reading the first three plus the cebola burn novella. I've got them through my kindle app and one half of the James SA Corey attached his book at the end for free (it was really confusing when kindle told me I was only 50% done as everything appeared to have winded down). It was The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I started going back and forth between the two series.

Is that the Abraham book? I stopped reading when I got to that. Is it any good?
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Tim wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.

I just started the most recent one (nemesis game?) after reading the first three plus the cebola burn novella. I've got them through my kindle app and one half of the James SA Corey attached his book at the end for free (it was really confusing when kindle told me I was only 50% done as everything appeared to have winded down). It was The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I started going back and forth between the two series.

Is that the Abraham book? I stopped reading when I got to that. Is it any good?

Yes, it's good. Not great, but good.

It's full of "tropiness" but uses it well and the series as a whole is like a slimmed down version of game of thrones. It was impossible to ignore the similarities between the two series, especially knowing the writer worked closely with Martin. But I think it's worth a read.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46887
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 96
x 3293
Contact:

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Cool. I'll check it out one of these days.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Smack
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8252
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:13 am
Location: Milwaukee
x 63
x 17

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Smack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm losing steam with the TV show. I'll grind out the rest of the season and see how it goes but some of it is just so damn cheesy. For example, the secret code to call off the MCRN boarding party was painful to watch.
0 x
BTFU!

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Smack wrote:I'm losing steam with the TV show. I'll grind out the rest of the season and see how it goes but some of it is just so damn cheesy. For example, the secret code to call off the MCRN boarding party was painful to watch.


you will always win me over with donkey balls



it was terrible, but they did it to to show the personalities of the crew, who hadn't really done much to that point. It was a clumsy tool
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 69246
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7832
x 7568

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:How many people are watching the Expanse? Any thoughts?

i was pretty excited about the show after reading the first few books of the series. The first episode was fairly meh and it took 2-3 of them before my wife had any interest, but it's been good for the first season. There's a lot of stuff that is just about impossible to translate into television, like the different body types of belters, but they've done a pretty good job showing what's what.

I'm not in love with the pretty boy they've made Holden, but the rest of the casting is great/surprising. It was good to see Lane Pryce and Cutty again.


So I've heard enough about this show that I watched the first episode and was greatly underwhelmed. Glad you bumped this, cuz maybe I'll give it a few more episodes now.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 87173
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 18394
x 20104

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Just noticed the first 2 seasons of this are on Prime and remembered it's gotten a pretty steady stream of good reviews, including the 3rd season that just started. Anyone here still watching it? Is it worth picking up?
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3782
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2611
x 1476

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

I've seen both seasons of the show. I think I started watching it because I missed Battlestar Galactica. It's a solid show. I enjoyed the first season more than the second. I can't compare it to the books because I never read them.

The dynamic between the Belters vs. Mars vs. Earth is cool to see. There are no good guys or good factions. Every side is dirty on some level. I recommend it if you enjoy sci-fi. I think Westworld is the best sci-fi show I've seen in the past couple years.

Spoiler: show
I don't know how much the "protomolecule" plays a role in the books, but it's very frustrating and stupid in terms of how each side is handling this very dangerous substance. I get how it parallels the Cold War where each side pointed nuclear weapons at the other, but it still seems dumb to me. The protomolecule almost took out Earth before it veered off towards Venus.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Regular Show wrote:I've seen both seasons of the show. I think I started watching it because I missed Battlestar Galactica. It's a solid show. I enjoyed the first season more than the second. I can't compare it to the books because I never read them.

The dynamic between the Belters vs. Mars vs. Earth is cool to see. There are no good guys or good factions. Every side is dirty on some level. I recommend it if you enjoy sci-fi. I think Westworld is the best sci-fi show I've seen in the past couple years.

Spoiler: show
I don't know how much the "protomolecule" plays a role in the books, but it's very frustrating and stupid in terms of how each side is handling this very dangerous substance. I get how it parallels the Cold War where each side pointed nuclear weapons at the other, but it still seems dumb to me. The protomolecule almost took out Earth before it veered off towards Venus.


FYI on that spoiler
Spoiler: show
the protomolecule plays a huge role in the books, it's pretty much the basis for everything


There's so much going on in this series I've forgotten have the horsefeathers I've read in the middle books.
I'm now in Book 7. I completely fell off the track of the show but will probably start back up I guess way back in season 2?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7800
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 457
x 535

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby badger » Thu May 23, 2019 3:29 am

I think the TV show is kind of a slow burn but it’s really well done . I love it.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:23 pm

I've been playing catch up on the series and am really excited about where they are taking it. Season 4 comes out this December, and I've only got an episode or 2 left in season 3. It's at the point where in the books the story really expands (wink) and there's a lot of cool stuff. They've brought in a bunch of cool actors for secondary parts and the main core does a damn good job playing their parts.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 11218
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 642
x 5439

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Yeah, I was really happy when Bezos saved this show. There's so much to enjoy, from hardcore sci-fi to political intrigue.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 87173
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 18394
x 20104

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:09 am

We just watched episodes 7 & 8 of season 3.

This show is horsefeathering bonkers and amazing.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 87173
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 18394
x 20104

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:10 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Yeah, I was really happy when Bezos saved this show.


I just read the other day about how his love of the books and the TV show is what basically saved it. So that's one non-awful thing he's done. Baby steps, Jeff!
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 87173
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 18394
x 20104

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:56 am

We just plowed through the last 4 episodes of season 5 tonight because it was that good and we couldn't stop.

► Show Spoiler
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 11218
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 642
x 5439

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:42 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25322
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 719
x 1498

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby CubinNY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:46 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:https://youtu.be/-6jcbSYUMMo

Spoiler: show
I know they are ending the series with the demise of Marco, but the rest of the story is pretty damn good too. I hope the authors consider making some movies with the second half of the story. It would be interesting to see who they cast as the older versions of characters.


Sorry, I didn't think what I posted would exactly be a spoiler.
Last edited by CubinNY on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63661
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3774
x 13896

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 pm

CubinNY wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:https://youtu.be/-6jcbSYUMMo

I know they are ending the series with the demise of Marco, but the rest of the story is pretty damn good too. I hope the authors consider making some movies with the second half of the story. It would be interesting to see who they cast as the older versions of characters.

#spoiler
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25322
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 719
x 1498

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby CubinNY » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:14 pm

I'm re-watching the series. Man am I going to miss this show when season 6 is finished.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 87173
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 18394
x 20104

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:24 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't come back.

Every year its following has just gotten bigger since going to Amazon, and it's only gotten more acclaim. Alcon produces everything themselves, and their comments about how this will just be a "pause" implies, IMO, that the idea is that they're planning on shopping the remaining seasons or movies around, and not just banking on Amazon. And given that Alcon's main distribution relationship has been with Warner Bros., I would not be surprised to end up to see The Expanse end up on HBO Max.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1703
x 2400

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions to watch the show. Just finished Season 5. Having not seen Firefly (for some reason I simply can't get past the first two episodes without quitting), I'd say Expanse still ranks behind the BSG Reboot.

I've not spoken to anyone else about The Expanse other than my wife, whom I binged it with, nor have I read any reviews about it and I've never read anything in the books. My experience with The Expanse has been completely in the vacuum of my living room for the past month. So maybe I'm in the minority on this or maybe I'm in the majority on this opinion: For me, the show would go from an A- to an A+ if someone else played Holden and if Holden was written a little differently. I feel like that the way his character is written, he should be a little more A) physically intimidating, and B) more of a true rogue.

When I say physically intimidating, I don't mean he needs to look like Amos, but Steven Strait is legitimately skinny. The actor playing him could stand to be a little larger IMO. If he were simply a nerd character like Captain Picard or whatever, then it wouldn't matter, but Holden gets in lots and lots of fights throughout the series. He's a fighter. Strait looks kind of wimpy. His character just seems like someone who would need to have at least some physical presence. I think about someone like Miller. Thomas Jane isn't a large man, but he has some physical presence/charisma about him. I just have a hard time believing anyone would be afraid of or respect 150lb Jim Holden as portrayed by Strait.

His character is also a little too clean. I know he does his own thing a lot of the time and tells people to piss off, but he's a true white hat in a universe where damn near everyone else is a bit of a douche. His character is supposed to be this great rogue, but I just don't think Holden is dangerous enough to have that reputation. This is why it is so damn important that Han shoots first. It's one of the great attributes of BSG; nobody wore a white hat in the entire series.

I don't know, but I just wonder how the show would be if someone else played Holden. I just can't connect with Strait at all. He's not a bad actor but his performance seems out of place. It's not even close to show-breaking for me. As I said, his performance/character is what makes it an A- for me. If Holden was more believable and I connected more to him as the main character it would be an A+.

Couple of other notes:
- Avasarala is suchhhhh a good character. I want her and Al Swearengen to have a drinking contest so I can watch them cuss at each other.
- I loved how Bobbie started out as a bit of annoying character but now I love her. Great character development with her.
- Drummer is the best character in the show IMO. That actor gives the greatest "mean mugs" in the galaxy.
- I wish Strathairn had been in the show more. His character and his acting were terrific.
- The Martian Mech Suits are sick nasty.
- What happened to the guy who invented the Epstein Drive? They showed him testing it and getting stuck to his chair but they never had another flashback to say if he survived or whatever. Did I fall asleep and miss something?
- For me, I think The Expanse is the most plausible vision of the future ever in a sci-fi movie or show that is set hundreds of years in the future. It takes place in almost the exact same time as TNG, but feels much more realistic and plausible.

Spoiler: show
I'm guessing Alex is still alive at this point in the books but they killed him off because of the actor's sexual harassment allegations?
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests