The Expanse (TV and books)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

How many people are watching the Expanse? Any thoughts?

i was pretty excited about the show after reading the first few books of the series. The first episode was fairly meh and it took 2-3 of them before my wife had any interest, but it's been good for the first season. There's a lot of stuff that is just about impossible to translate into television, like the different body types of belters, but they've done a pretty good job showing what's what.

I'm not in love with the pretty boy they've made Holden, but the rest of the casting is great/surprising. It was good to see Lane Pryce and Cutty again.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: The Expanse (TV and books)

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 pm

I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.
0 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Tim wrote:I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.

I just started the most recent one (nemesis game?) after reading the first three plus the cebola burn novella. I've got them through my kindle app and one half of the James SA Corey attached his book at the end for free (it was really confusing when kindle told me I was only 50% done as everything appeared to have winded down). It was The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I started going back and forth between the two series.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:I've really enjoyed the books. The tv show hasn't quite captivated me to the same level, but I'm still a regular viewer.

I just started the most recent one (nemesis game?) after reading the first three plus the cebola burn novella. I've got them through my kindle app and one half of the James SA Corey attached his book at the end for free (it was really confusing when kindle told me I was only 50% done as everything appeared to have winded down). It was The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I started going back and forth between the two series.

Is that the Abraham book? I stopped reading when I got to that. Is it any good?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Tim wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Is that the Abraham book? I stopped reading when I got to that. Is it any good?

Yes, it's good. Not great, but good.

It's full of "tropiness" but uses it well and the series as a whole is like a slimmed down version of game of thrones. It was impossible to ignore the similarities between the two series, especially knowing the writer worked closely with Martin. But I think it's worth a read.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Cool. I'll check it out one of these days.
0 x

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm losing steam with the TV show. I'll grind out the rest of the season and see how it goes but some of it is just so damn cheesy. For example, the secret code to call off the MCRN boarding party was painful to watch.
0 x
BTFU!

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Smack wrote:I'm losing steam with the TV show. I'll grind out the rest of the season and see how it goes but some of it is just so damn cheesy. For example, the secret code to call off the MCRN boarding party was painful to watch.

you will always win me over with donkey balls

it was terrible, but they did it to to show the personalities of the crew, who hadn't really done much to that point. It was a clumsy tool
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:How many people are watching the Expanse? Any thoughts?

i was pretty excited about the show after reading the first few books of the series. The first episode was fairly meh and it took 2-3 of them before my wife had any interest, but it's been good for the first season. There's a lot of stuff that is just about impossible to translate into television, like the different body types of belters, but they've done a pretty good job showing what's what.

I'm not in love with the pretty boy they've made Holden, but the rest of the casting is great/surprising. It was good to see Lane Pryce and Cutty again.

So I've heard enough about this show that I watched the first episode and was greatly underwhelmed. Glad you bumped this, cuz maybe I'll give it a few more episodes now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Just noticed the first 2 seasons of this are on Prime and remembered it's gotten a pretty steady stream of good reviews, including the 3rd season that just started. Anyone here still watching it? Is it worth picking up?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

I've seen both seasons of the show. I think I started watching it because I missed Battlestar Galactica. It's a solid show. I enjoyed the first season more than the second. I can't compare it to the books because I never read them.

The dynamic between the Belters vs. Mars vs. Earth is cool to see. There are no good guys or good factions. Every side is dirty on some level. I recommend it if you enjoy sci-fi. I think Westworld is the best sci-fi show I've seen in the past couple years.

I don't know how much the "protomolecule" plays a role in the books, but it's very frustrating and stupid in terms of how each side is handling this very dangerous substance. I get how it parallels the Cold War where each side pointed nuclear weapons at the other, but it still seems dumb to me. The protomolecule almost took out Earth before it veered off towards Venus.
0 x

Return to “Social”