Westworld

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Westworld

Postby Derwood » Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm

The question is, how doe the Dolores and Maeve storylines dovetail into that endgame?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Loved the use of the Stones song with Delos. It’s a great metaphor for how William views James.

I also liked William’s daughter wearing a gray hat.

The Native tribe must actually be working for Ford or Delos somehow
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Yep, best episode of the season, by far. No Delores & Maeve made it work for me. I've always appreciated Ed Harris, so it was cool to see more of MiB.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 14, 2018 3:21 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Loved the use of the Stones song with Delos. It’s a great metaphor for how William views James.

i'm curious if the ghost nation (the native tribe) is a defense mechanism put into place to protect the guests if the hosts go off-script/haywire.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm

cl smooth wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Loved the use of the Stones song with Delos. It’s a great metaphor for how William views James.

i'm curious if the ghost nation (the native tribe) is a defense mechanism put into place to protect the guests if the hosts go off-script/haywire.

Wow. Hmmmm. That's an interesting theory.

That would explain why they were chasing Maeve and also why Delores straight up killed one of them. Granted, Delores doesn't seem to have any trouble killing hosts, but still.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 am

Ok, so big,big fan of that last episode. I don't know about you all, but Lost really scarred me. I have refused to watch the Leftovers because I swore to myself I'd never watch anything those writers were associated with. When the dad in law was riding that bike in isolation with his music in a horsefeathering isolation dome, I was triggered. My wife thought I was losing my mind. So when I saw this article, I was pleased for my sanity. https://www.wired.com/story/westworld-turning-into-lost
Oh, and if anyone wants me to explain why I'm so pumped to realize the death of a character I was hoping beyond how was alive...
Spoiler: show
I'll tell you a story about Bernard and Elise.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Finally got caught up. The first episode confused me a bit probably because of the long layoff but its now all clear to me. Episode 4 was fantastic.

Here is the episode 4 recap. Banedon posted episode 2 and 3 earlier and those helped clear things up for me.

Talking about Bernard and the red ball

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... the-sphinx
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 am

OleMissCub wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

Wow. Hmmmm. That's an interesting theory.

That would explain why they were chasing Maeve and also why Delores straight up killed one of them. Granted, Delores doesn't seem to have any trouble killing hosts, but still.

I like this theory. It would also explain why they demanded they hand over Simon in the middle of the Maeve situation.
2 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 21, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks to Derwood’s kindly reminder:

C.R.E.A.M.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 21, 2018 3:51 am

cl smooth wrote:Thanks to Derwood’s kindly reminder:

C.R.E.A.M.

Indeed. Knew I recognized that.

That was the coolest crap ever when they started up with Paint it Black just like they did when dude and tattoo girl robbed the whorehouse in season one. Terrific
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm

I enjoy Samurai movies, so on a superficial level I found this episode fun, I guess. However, it seems things are a bit of a mess, though that might just be me not being sufficiently invested to fully grasp what's going on.

Delores especially continues to bore me.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon May 21, 2018 1:43 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
cl smooth wrote:Thanks to Derwood’s kindly reminder:

C.R.E.A.M.

Indeed. Knew I recognized that.

That was the coolest crap ever when they started up with Paint it Black just like they did when dude and tattoo girl robbed the whorehouse in season one. Terrific

It gave me chills.
2 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I enjoy Samurai movies, so on a superficial level I found this episode fun, I guess. However, it seems things are a bit of a mess, though that might just be me not being sufficiently invested to fully grasp what's going on.

the maeve and bernard storylines are the ones i'm most interested in at this point. i feel like they could've put the delores scenes from last night into a future episode that is more delores-heavy. with everything going on with maeve in shogun world, they felt out of place/shoe-horned.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon May 21, 2018 2:35 pm

cl smooth wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I enjoy Samurai movies, so on a superficial level I found this episode fun, I guess. However, it seems things are a bit of a mess, though that might just be me not being sufficiently invested to fully grasp what's going on.

the maeve and bernard storylines are the ones i'm most interested in at this point. i feel like they could've put the delores scenes from last night into a future episode that is more delores-heavy. with everything going on with maeve in shogun world, they felt out of place/shoe-horned.

I thought the point was to make clear that as the hosts become sentient, they are just as capable of evil against their own kind as humans. Maeve and Dolores are the two most "free thinking" hosts. Each of them took action to eliminate the freedom of choice of other hosts. With Maeve, she essentially took over the minds of scores of hosts. With Dolores, it was on a much more personal level where she had Teddy forcefully reprogrammed. Showing those things together just drove home the point that the "free" hosts are no more moral or ethical than humans.
0 x
Spoiler: show

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 21, 2018 2:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:the maeve and bernard storylines are the ones i'm most interested in at this point. i feel like they could've put the delores scenes from last night into a future episode that is more delores-heavy. with everything going on with maeve in shogun world, they felt out of place/shoe-horned.

I felt the same way up until the barn(?) scene. Now we get to just dive right into a more badass version of Teddy.

-----

So what was that device Simon grabbed?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon May 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Tim wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

I thought the point was to make clear that as the hosts become sentient, they are just as capable of evil against their own kind as humans. Maeve and Dolores are the two most "free thinking" hosts. Each of them took action to eliminate the freedom of choice of other hosts. With Maeve, she essentially took over the minds of scores of hosts. With Dolores, it was on a much more personal level where she had Teddy forcefully reprogrammed. Showing those things together just drove home the point that the "free" hosts are no more moral or ethical than humans.

that's a fair point. part of me felt like they could've gone with two separate episodes showing maeve and delores' points of view but your explanation makes sense.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 21, 2018 3:28 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:So what was that device Simon grabbed?

It was just a walkie-talkie.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Definitely had Last Samurai flashbacks with the ninjas v. samurai scene, especially since it involved the exact same actor that was in that scene in Last Samurai.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

All of the Samurai stuff, on an island, was cool enough. I guess I just don't get where that all is going apart from being a cool, gory one-off where Maeve gets an unexplained superpower.

Can I complain about that scene where Dolores reprograms Cyclopes? Sure, it was cool how cold-blooded it was that she wanted one last lay with her sweetheart before she erased that version of him from existance, but can someone explain to me why she had to have some faceless doods hold him down like he's a calf about to be branded when all Dolores had to do was ask the tech to push a button on his iPad?

The best part of the episode was the preview for the next one where they showed Bernard doing stuff. Bernard needs a spin off after all of this is done.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Oh, and I was also amused that they introduced the singular Japansese guy from Lost from well after it jumped the shark...
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 am

I wasn't as jazzed about this episode as some of you guys. It ended up being exactly what I feared it would be: Japanese stuff as an excuse for sword fights and ninjas and horsefeathers, all of which could have happened in Westworld. Pretty set pieces =/= good storytelling
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 am

Derwood wrote:I wasn't as jazzed about this episode as some of you guys. It ended up being exactly what I feared it would be: Japanese stuff as an excuse for sword fights and ninjas and horsefeathers, all of which could have happened in Westworld. Pretty set pieces =/= good storytelling

FUNK. OFF.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:All of the Samurai stuff, on an island, was cool enough. I guess I just don't get where that all is going apart from being a cool, gory one-off where Maeve gets an unexplained superpower.

I guess it's true that it's not explained, but this is my assumption at that moment.

She has given herself access to all kinds of systems, and they've already talked about the "mesh network" which Bernard used to track down Abernathy's location. I think she's got access to that somehow (even if she doesn't know/understand it) and is using that to give commands to hosts. That's why she hears the voices when she's doing it...she's hearing all the hosts on the mesh network.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Derwood wrote:I wasn't as jazzed about this episode as some of you guys. It ended up being exactly what I feared it would be: Japanese stuff as an excuse for sword fights and ninjas and horsefeathers, all of which could have happened in Westworld. Pretty set pieces =/= good storytelling

Please tell me how they are going to do the "we have dopplegangers" storyline without leaving Westworld.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Banedon wrote:

Please tell me how they are going to do the "we have dopplegangers" storyline without leaving Westworld.

It wouldn’t be as good, but it could be done. Then again, the fact that doppelgängers exist needs to have a satisfying pay off to justify them at all
0 x

Return to “Social”