Westworld

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Westworld

Postby Derwood » Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Banedon wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:All of the Samurai stuff, on an island, was cool enough. I guess I just don't get where that all is going apart from being a cool, gory one-off where Maeve gets an unexplained superpower.

I guess it's true that it's not explained, but this is my assumption at that moment.

She has given herself access to all kinds of systems, and they've already talked about the "mesh network" which Bernard used to track down Abernathy's location. I think she's got access to that somehow (even if she doesn't know/understand it) and is using that to give commands to hosts. That's why she hears the voices when she's doing it...she's hearing all the hosts on the mesh network.

She is close to having unlimited power over hosts, which I hope they take away from her soon. Otherwise she’s Neo in the Matrix and there’s no stopping her
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:I wasn't as jazzed about this episode as some of you guys. It ended up being exactly what I feared it would be: Japanese stuff as an excuse for sword fights and ninjas and horsefeathers, all of which could have happened in Westworld. Pretty set pieces =/= good storytelling

Please tell me how they are going to do the "we have dopplegangers" storyline without leaving Westworld.

It wouldn’t be as good, but it could be done. Then again, the fact that doppelgängers exist needs to have a satisfying pay off to justify them at all

But it clearly had a purpose aside from sword fights and ninjas and horsefeathers. Maeve seeing her doppleganger with the same parental feelings, going just as far to protect/avenge her daughter as Maeve is going to get back to hers. Of course a lot of it was stylized, and played to be cool..it's a tv show. Why do it the "not as good" way?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I’m just in wait and see mode with this whole storyline. I trust the writers to pay it off by the end, but after that episode, it felt more like an excuse to have a high-action episode more than anything else.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue May 22, 2018 5:49 pm

I feel like I'm drowning in Derwood's terrible takes
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm

javy knows my name wrote:I feel like I'm drowning in Derwood's terrible takes

Spoiler: show
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Derwood wrote:I’m just in wait and see mode with this whole storyline. I trust the writers to pay it off by the end, but after that episode, it felt more like an excuse to have a high-action episode more than anything else.

wait an see mode ... with a television mystery serial ... stunning concept
1 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Today I asked one of my developers if he was done with a task and he responded by messaging me a huge block of code. My response: "doesn't look like anything to me."

Basically, I crack myself up
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

javy knows my name wrote:Today I asked one of my developers if he was done with a task and he responded by messaging me a huge block of code. My response: "doesn't look like anything to me."

Basically, I crack myself up

0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:13 pm

This week's episode was pretty good, though I don't know that we learned a whole lot about where the story is going.

And I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not seeing the logic between which hosts are "woke" and which are just living their plot line loops.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Derwood wrote:This week's episode was pretty good, though I don't know that we learned a whole lot about where the story is going.

And I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not seeing the logic between which hosts are "woke" and which are just living their plot line loops.

it seems to primarily come down to age and suffering. But a major point of the season is still are they really awake or are they just on a new loop
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Derwood wrote:This week's episode was pretty good, though I don't know that we learned a whole lot about where the story is going.

it seems to primarily come down to age and suffering. But a major point of the season is still are they really awake or are they just on a new loop

What did you make of the opening scene?

Where Delores is doing the same "fidelity" test on Bernard that we saw with the host version of William's father-in-law a few episodes back?
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Derwood wrote:

Where Delores is doing the same "fidelity" test on Bernard that we saw with the host version of William's father-in-law a few episodes back?

I think it takes place well after the events of "now" ("We've done this countless times") and is likely Dolores trying to bring Arnold back into the park to fight off Ford. Part of me thinks it is taking place in the "cradle" where Bernard's consciousness is now.

I know this isn't a surprise given how the show works but they are setting us up for a really big twist and for the life of me I can't pin it down. I think they were pissed that they telegraphed the man in black twist last year and so this year's is real difficult.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Derwood wrote:

I think it takes place well after the events of "now" ("We've done this countless times") and is likely Dolores trying to bring Arnold back into the park to fight off Ford. Part of me thinks it is taking place in the "cradle" where Bernard's consciousness is now.

I know this isn't a surprise given how the show works but they are setting us up for a really big twist and for the life of me I can't pin it down. I think they were pissed that they telegraphed the man in black twist last year and so this year's is real difficult.

It's almost certainly in the cradle. When Bernard goes into the cradle, the show shifts into a letterbox format. The same was the case for the opening scene...and the opening scene of the season.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Derwood wrote:

If they telegraphed it, I didn't see it coming.

I could see a twist being that Delores was/is a real person that the host is based on, but who she is? horsefeathers if I know
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:

It's almost certainly in the cradle. When Bernard goes into the cradle, the show shifts into a letterbox format. The same was the case for the opening scene...and the opening scene of the season.

Yeah i noticed that too, they did a great job of making those scenes seem ethereal and dreamy. There have been some Maeve scenes like that too.
0 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Derwood wrote:

Why are we spoiling?

I'm not sure it has to be much bigger than Ford shows back up, reveals Delores killed his copy, and he freezes Maeve while she's doing her telekinesis horsefeathers. I'm like 99% sure Maeve is in a loop and 80% sure one of the techs is a host.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:18 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Why are we spoiling?

I'm not sure it has to be much bigger than Ford shows back up, reveals Delores killed his copy, and he freezes Maeve while she's doing her telekinesis horsefeathers. I'm like 99% sure Maeve is in a loop and 80% sure one of the techs is a host.

Elsie is currently a host. 100% mortal lock. Book it.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:31 am

Angela!!!!!

:(
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm

How does Maeve survive if her backup is destroyed?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Derwood wrote:How does Maeve survive if her backup is destroyed?

...someone just fixes her?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:04 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Derwood wrote:How does Maeve survive if her backup is destroyed?

...someone just fixes her?

Probably, though all of the people you’d expect to do that just abandoned her
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:34 pm

That was the best episode of the entire series IMO.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

OleMissCub wrote:That was the best episode of the entire series IMO.

I don't know who to root for anymore. Seems like everyone is terrible now (ruthless, manipulative humans versus dogmatic, murderous cyborgs)
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm

OleMissCub wrote:That was the best episode of the entire series IMO.

I think it was second best of the season, but yeah, splitting hairs. It owned.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm

So Akecheta was the original “woke” host?
0 x

Return to “Social”