Westworld

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Rob wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:This was posted elsewhere.

Spoiler: show
William is a massive piece of horsefeathers.

Seriously, everything he has done so far is so enraging. His GFs brother takes him on this awesome 40k/day trip so they would bond more before William marries Logans sister. They go drinking/partying/horsefeathering but William refuses to participate.

Then William decided to go on a horsefeathers bounty side quest and guilts Logan into going with him saying ''I can go alone, you don't have to come''. Logan goes with him anyways because he is a nice guy and wants to be friendly to William. William starts falling for a horsefeathering robot lady, even tho his fiancees brother is right there. Logan gets captured and is later tortured and actually getting physically hurt, William refuses to rescue him, instead runs away with the robot lady, making out with her, all while his human fiancees brother is getting tortured. Logan rescues himself, finds William, tries to show him that this place is getting to his head, shows that William is in love with a horsefeathering machine. Instead of being angry, he forgives him, unties him, offers a drink and says it's fine, this place can take over your head, and promises not to talk about what happened in this park, so he wouldn't ruin the relationship William has with his sister. Instead of William being like ''horsefeathers man, you are right, thanks for being forgiving and not telling anyone this'', he kills all of Logans men, and puts a horsefeathering knife to his throat Seriously, horsefeathers william


Spoiler: show
the William and Dolores storyline is not as interesting or well acted. Not really understanding how they can bridge the gap between William and Ed Harris. I like the show and the multiple timelines seems like it would work great but it's gotten sloppy.

Hopkins is so good in this show.


It's not all that interesting yet. Did anybody else catch that

Spoiler: show
the photo of Logan's sister that he shoved in William's face when he said "did you forget about her?" is the same photo that Mr. Abernathy saw and freaked out over. Are William and Logan just hosts repeating this same narrative over and over?


This is an older video, but almost certainly correct at this point. So if you don't want to know what's going on till they reveal it in the finale, don't watch the video in this post. Otherwise, here ya go.

viewtopic.php?p=132642#p132642
0 x
Image

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1952
x 810
Contact:

Re: Westworld

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:09 pm

In related news, I have a theory that Dolores killed Arnold.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:In related news, I have a theory that Dolores killed Arnold.


That is also a rather popular theory.
0 x
Image

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1952
x 810
Contact:

Re: Westworld

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Banedon wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:In related news, I have a theory that Dolores killed Arnold.


That is also a rather popular theory.

...yeah, I developed this theory when Dolores said "I killed you" to Arnold. Fingers crossed it gets confirmed. :beg:
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 am

I've been having this argument off and on with a lot of my friends for the last 5 years or so.

I contend that if you are an atheist, you absolutely cannot believe in free will. I taunt them with, if you believe in free will, you're essentially saying each person is their own god, or that there is a little god living in their brain.

That's actualy not unlike the idea that our thoughts are the voices of the gods. It's amazing how even the most scientific mind cannot wrap itself around the idea that any kind of independent intention or will is a vast leap in logic, nurtured by the vain notion that each of us is a special snowflake and that choice exists at all. They [expletive] their heads and look at me like confused dogs when i say that there is no choice, just a programming code written by our environment.

These are intelligent human beings who have jettisoned the idea of a higher power, but cling hard to the core belief that there is at least a small part of themselves that exists independent of the universe.
2 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21957
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 139
x 361

Re: Westworld

Postby CubinNY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 am

Stannis wrote:I've been having this argument off and on with a lot of my friends for the last 5 years or so.

I contend that if you are an atheist, you absolutely cannot believe in free will. I taunt them with, if you believe in free will, you're essentially saying each person is their own god, or that there is a little god living in their brain.

That's actualy not unlike the idea that our thoughts are the voices of the gods. It's amazing how even the most scientific mind cannot wrap itself around the idea that any kind of independent intention or will is a vast leap in logic, nurtured by the vain notion that each of us is a special snowflake and that choice exists at all. They [expletive] their heads and look at me like confused dogs when i say that there is no choice, just a programming code written by our environment.

These are intelligent human beings who have jettisoned the idea of a higher power, but cling hard to the core belief that there is at least a small part of themselves that exists independent of the universe.

So, so, very true. What people also fail to understand is that not having free will does not make them an automaton. Our behavior is constrained by our environment, our learning history, and current circumstances. But as we change our environment, we also change our future behavior. It's a closed system. Learning is akin to evolution on the scale of a single lifetime.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm
x 1
x 17

Re: Westworld

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:42 am

Stannis wrote:I've been having this argument off and on with a lot of my friends for the last 5 years or so.

I contend that if you are an atheist, you absolutely cannot believe in free will. I taunt them with, if you believe in free will, you're essentially saying each person is their own god, or that there is a little god living in their brain.

That's actualy not unlike the idea that our thoughts are the voices of the gods. It's amazing how even the most scientific mind cannot wrap itself around the idea that any kind of independent intention or will is a vast leap in logic, nurtured by the vain notion that each of us is a special snowflake and that choice exists at all. They [expletive] their heads and look at me like confused dogs when i say that there is no choice, just a programming code written by our environment.

These are intelligent human beings who have jettisoned the idea of a higher power, but cling hard to the core belief that there is at least a small part of themselves that exists independent of the universe.


So all that evolutionary programming compels you to spend 5 years debating a stupid teenagers outlook with your friends then the last 15 billion years have been a complete waste.

I'm pretty geared up for this finale.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:45 am

I loved everything about that finale.
1 x
Image

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1952
x 810
Contact:

Re: Westworld

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 am

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
Stannis wrote:I've been having this argument off and on with a lot of my friends for the last 5 years or so.

I contend that if you are an atheist, you absolutely cannot believe in free will. I taunt them with, if you believe in free will, you're essentially saying each person is their own god, or that there is a little god living in their brain.

That's actualy not unlike the idea that our thoughts are the voices of the gods. It's amazing how even the most scientific mind cannot wrap itself around the idea that any kind of independent intention or will is a vast leap in logic, nurtured by the vain notion that each of us is a special snowflake and that choice exists at all. They [expletive] their heads and look at me like confused dogs when i say that there is no choice, just a programming code written by our environment.

These are intelligent human beings who have jettisoned the idea of a higher power, but cling hard to the core belief that there is at least a small part of themselves that exists independent of the universe.


So all that evolutionary programming compels you to spend 5 years debating a stupid teenagers outlook with your friends then the last 15 billion years have been a complete waste.

I'm pretty geared up for this finale.


no, only the last 10,000 years have been a waste.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

So here are my major questions remaining after watching the finale....I'm not gonna spoiler them...shouldn't be in this thread without watching the show anyway...

1) Did Abernathy get out with the park info?

2) What humans (of the non-glorified extra variety) actually, for sure died this season? Ford and Arnold are basically it, right? Elsie and Stubbs were in a dire situation, but we never saw them for sure die. Charlotte was in the crowd but we never saw her get shot. Sizemore was sent off from the gala to take care of the Abernathy thing. The man in black got shot in the arm but never killed. Even Felix and Sylvester seem to still be alive.

3) Speaking of Elsie, why did Ford have Bernard kidnap/kill her? Did she discover the fact that some of these hosts were achieving consciousness? Or did she discover the Arnold/Bernard connection?

4) Ford was making a robot in his secret basement where Bernard killed Teresa. A robot version of himself?

5) What was the super secret goal of Delos that was referred to all season but never revealed? My guess...putting a human's consciousness into a robot.

6) Will season 2 pick up this story, with these characters, or tell the story of a different park....Samurai World? Jimmi Simpson, at least, won't be returning from what he's been told, which makes sense.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:56 pm

well, William's story has been fleshed out, Jimmi is no longer needed.

My question is, is William dead?

The whole thing was kind of ripped from the season 1 finale of Spartacus, lol.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 pm

Stannis wrote:well, William's story has been fleshed out, Jimmi is no longer needed.

My question is, is William dead?

The whole thing was kind of ripped from the season 1 finale of Spartacus, lol.


Ed Harris says he's back for Season 2 so....

Oh and I forgot...Teresa also is for sure dead, along with Ford and Arnold.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 pm

and Brandon, as to the thing about putting a human consciousness into a robot.....what do you mean? an existing human, like Robert?

I think it would be fascinating to see how that would be done. Can they copy the firings of the synapses and infinite algorithms of a human brain and write that code for a computer?
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Banedon wrote:
Stannis wrote:well, William's story has been fleshed out, Jimmi is no longer needed.

My question is, is William dead?

The whole thing was kind of ripped from the season 1 finale of Spartacus, lol.


Ed Harris says he's back for Season 2 so....

Oh and I forgot...Teresa also is for sure dead, along with Ford and Arnold.


Bernard was my favorite character, though. Shame. Also, I wonder how much of Ford's dialogue was scripted and how much was improvised by Hopkins. He went on a couple of diatribes during the season that spoke to the philosophies of Daniel Quinn, of whom I know he is well-acquainted.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:09 pm

Stannis wrote:and Brandon, as to the thing about putting a human consciousness into a robot.....what do you mean? an existing human, like Robert?

I think it would be fascinating to see how that would be done. Can they copy the firings of the synapses and infinite algorithms of a human brain and write that code for a computer?


Yeah, like when Bernard kill Teresa in Ford's secret basement, he was printing a new host. Maybe it was himself and he uploaded himself into it? Totally spitballing here, admittedly.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Banedon wrote:
Stannis wrote:and Brandon, as to the thing about putting a human consciousness into a robot.....what do you mean? an existing human, like Robert?

I think it would be fascinating to see how that would be done. Can they copy the firings of the synapses and infinite algorithms of a human brain and write that code for a computer?


Yeah, like when Bernard kill Teresa in Ford's secret basement, he was printing a new host. Maybe it was himself and he uploaded himself into it? Totally spitballing here, admittedly.


yeah, i don't think that's a crazy thought at all. And that talk about living forever as music, maybe the code is the music he's referring to and it's not just a nice analogy.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:16 pm

maybe i'm totally missing something obvious, and i likely am, but who is other guy in the center of the picture with Ford and Arnold?
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1823
x 317

Re: Westworld

Postby cl smooth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Stannis wrote:maybe i'm totally missing something obvious, and i likely am, but who is other guy in the center of the picture with Ford and Arnold?


isn't that ford's father?
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65101
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3954
x 4010

Re: Westworld

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Stannis wrote:maybe i'm totally missing something obvious, and i likely am, but who is other guy in the center of the picture with Ford and Arnold?


It's Ford's dad. That's why when Bernard saw the robot version of Ford's dad, he said "Arnold"? Because when he saw the picture of only 2 people, he assumed the 2nd person in the picture was Arnold.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45935
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 156
x 423

Re: Westworld

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:46 pm

i knew i was missing something.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm
x 1
x 17

Re: Westworld

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:53 pm

I can't really think of how they will bring back Ed Harris and Hopkins without completely ruining that finale.
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31352
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1797
x 4242
Contact:

Re: Westworld

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:07 pm

It's for sure immortality that the board is after. Ford's speech about "we eradicated disease, we're as good as we're going to get" from early in the season, combined with the sort of lamenting of time and death and how no matter what you do, you still end up in the ground and your bones turn to dirt make me think that's the real goal for the board. Create a body that never ages and never dies and then plant your consciousness in it and live forever. Ford is probably aware of it and possibly in on it, given that we saw him creating Chekov's host in his basement, but never found out who that host was. He probably made himself, put his own consciousness into it and then had Dolores put him down.

He clearly despises humanity and reveres the hosts, why not just become one.
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31352
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1797
x 4242
Contact:

Re: Westworld

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Banedon wrote:So here are my major questions remaining after watching the finale....I'm not gonna spoiler them...shouldn't be in this thread without watching the show anyway...

1) Did Abernathy get out with the park info?

2) What humans (of the non-glorified extra variety) actually, for sure died this season? Ford and Arnold are basically it, right? Elsie and Stubbs were in a dire situation, but we never saw them for sure die. Charlotte was in the crowd but we never saw her get shot. Sizemore was sent off from the gala to take care of the Abernathy thing. The man in black got shot in the arm but never killed. Even Felix and Sylvester seem to still be alive.

3) Speaking of Elsie, why did Ford have Bernard kidnap/kill her? Did she discover the fact that some of these hosts were achieving consciousness? Or did she discover the Arnold/Bernard connection?

4) Ford was making a robot in his secret basement where Bernard killed Teresa. A robot version of himself?

5) What was the super secret goal of Delos that was referred to all season but never revealed? My guess...putting a human's consciousness into a robot.

6) Will season 2 pick up this story, with these characters, or tell the story of a different park....Samurai World? Jimmi Simpson, at least, won't be returning from what he's been told, which makes sense.


I'm hoping for Lord of the Flies for season two, humans hiding on the island and trying to get off while the robots figure out how merciful they want to be.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm
x 1
x 17

Re: Westworld

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:24 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:It's for sure immortality that the board is after. Ford's speech about "we eradicated disease, we're as good as we're going to get" from early in the season, combined with the sort of lamenting of time and death and how no matter what you do, you still end up in the ground and your bones turn to dirt make me think that's the real goal for the board. Create a body that never ages and never dies and then plant your consciousness in it and live forever. Ford is probably aware of it and possibly in on it, given that we saw him creating Chekov's host in his basement, but never found out who that host was. He probably made himself, put his own consciousness into it and then had Dolores put him down.

He clearly despises humanity and reveres the hosts, why not just become one.


I thought it was behavioral data that the board wanted. I think it's more like hey we can come up with a perfect marketing platform based on all this uninhibited response data.

This downloading consciousness tjing was the battlestar galactica prequel show not this show. Don't think they even hinted at that.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CoolHandLuke, Cubswin11 and 5 guests