Westworld

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Re: Westworld

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm actually hoping that the Westworld bots and the surviving corporate execs at the gala (and vacationers in the park) have to form an alliance to battle the samarai.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:It's for sure immortality that the board is after. Ford's speech about "we eradicated disease, we're as good as we're going to get" from early in the season, combined with the sort of lamenting of time and death and how no matter what you do, you still end up in the ground and your bones turn to dirt make me think that's the real goal for the board. Create a body that never ages and never dies and then plant your consciousness in it and live forever. Ford is probably aware of it and possibly in on it, given that we saw him creating Chekov's host in his basement, but never found out who that host was. He probably made himself, put his own consciousness into it and then had Dolores put him down.

He clearly despises humanity and reveres the hosts, why not just become one.

Don't think they even hinted at that.

You missed it
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Also, i thought that part of the point was that there is no consciousness, just a general damning self-awareness.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 pm

The scene where Dolores has a chat with herself and decides to murder everyone made me think of this video (hang with it, it is awesome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:It's for sure immortality that the board is after. Ford's speech about "we eradicated disease, we're as good as we're going to get" from early in the season, combined with the sort of lamenting of time and death and how no matter what you do, you still end up in the ground and your bones turn to dirt make me think that's the real goal for the board. Create a body that never ages and never dies and then plant your consciousness in it and live forever. Ford is probably aware of it and possibly in on it, given that we saw him creating Chekov's host in his basement, but never found out who that host was. He probably made himself, put his own consciousness into it and then had Dolores put him down.

I thought it was behavioral data that the board wanted. I think it's more like hey we can come up with a perfect marketing platform based on all this uninhibited response data.

This downloading consciousness tjing was the battlestar galactica prequel show not this show. Don't think they even hinted at that.

The board wanted as much information about the robots, behavioral data included, as they could get out of the park. They wanted to fire Ford, and if he went and said "Screw you all" and broke all the robots, they wanted a way to be able to continue without him. Of course, they wanted that information for reasons other than continuing with an amusement park too...which was hinted at PLENTY.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah, that middle management lady that Ford offed hinted at a grander plan from the board really, really hard to the british writer guy in episode 1 or 2.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Now I just read that one of the creators said that the host being printed in Ford's secret basement was just a throwaway shot for creepy ambiance...so don't read too much into that.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Banedon wrote:Now I just read that one of the creators said that the host being printed in Ford's secret basement was just a throwaway shot for creepy ambiance...so don't read too much into that.

what a waste
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:54 pm

All of Joanna Robinson's articles about Westworld have been great...here's one of them:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... athy-logan
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Banedon wrote:All of Joanna Robinson's articles about Westworld have been great...here's one of them:

there's a real dearth of good television reviewing or whatever right now, so I've basically given up on it. If this is good it will be an instant bookmark.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:10 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Banedon wrote:All of Joanna Robinson's articles about Westworld have been great...here's one of them:

there's a real dearth of good television reviewing or whatever right now, so I've basically given up on it. If this is good it will be an instant bookmark.

She also does the podcast Decoding Westworld with David Chen, and Storm of Spoilers (GoT, obv). Decoding Westworld, at least, is excellent.

I'm irritated that I didn't know there was a post credit stinger last night!
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Banedon wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:

I thought it was behavioral data that the board wanted. I think it's more like hey we can come up with a perfect marketing platform based on all this uninhibited response data.

This downloading consciousness tjing was the battlestar galactica prequel show not this show. Don't think they even hinted at that.

The board wanted as much information about the robots, behavioral data included, as they could get out of the park. They wanted to fire Ford, and if he went and said "Screw you all" and broke all the robots, they wanted a way to be able to continue without him. Of course, they wanted that information for reasons other than continuing with an amusement park too...which was hinted at PLENTY.

Yes they hinted (not really even hinted they outright explained) that the board wanted the data for something far larger than the robot park. But they didn't hint that they wanted to download human minds into a robot. That' was posited by somebody in this thread but not in the show.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm just basing that off their constant hints that the board wants something more, combined with textual and sub textual clues given to us during the actual show.
0 x

VVMattVV
Starter

Postby VVMattVV » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:34 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I'm just basing that off their constant hints that the board wants something more, combined with textual and sub textual clues given to us during the actual show.

It would also be a much more interesting plot point than the executive end game being marketing-related.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm

I kinda assumed that corporate wanted to use the hosts to replace people of influence with controllable robots...whom they could also sex whenever they wanted.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:I kinda assumed that corporate wanted to use the hosts to replace people of influence with controllable robots...whom they could also sex whenever they wanted.

How against the rules was it for Delos staff to hump the robots? The techs acted like it was firable breach of company policy but the board of directors lady had no problem with the QA lady seeing her get tore up by that swarthy outlaw bot. Also the corporate culture was pretty lax considering the one guy peed all over the middle thing in the circular room.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 am

"today we escape, we escape.... we hope that you choke, that you choke"

Brilliant
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 pm

OleMissCub wrote:"today we escape, we escape.... we hope that you choke, that you choke"

Brilliant

Half of those lyrics were directly applicable. Overly awesome.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:"today we escape, we escape.... we hope that you choke, that you choke"

Brilliant

Yeah. As soon as I heard it start up I wanted to stand up and cheer because I knew how perfect the lyrics were.
0 x

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:59 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:

Brilliant

Yeah. As soon as I heard it start up I wanted to stand up and cheer because I knew how perfect the lyrics were.

the fact that they heavily featured radiohead makes the sound garden that much better.

The music on the show (even the theme) was superb. slipping the cure in there was great too but on trend, soundgarden was just perfect and kinda an out of the box choice.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:14 pm

So perhaps WestWorld is just one stop in this theme park. We know there is also SamuraiWorld. Perhaps there is also RomanWorld and PirateWorld, etc. Maybe next season will be them liberating those parks? That'd be fun as hell to see cowboys running around alongside samurai and Roman gladiators or whatever.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So perhaps WestWorld is just one stop in this theme park. We know there is also SamuraiWorld. Perhaps there is also RomanWorld and PirateWorld, etc. Maybe next season will be them liberating those parks? That'd be fun as hell to see cowboys running around alongside samurai and Roman gladiators or whatever.

The Mrs. wants DowntonAbbeyWorld. She makes a good point that she'd like to hang out in a world where everyone isn't constantly getting raped (just one select rape in season 2).
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So perhaps WestWorld is just one stop in this theme park. We know there is also SamuraiWorld. Perhaps there is also RomanWorld and PirateWorld, etc. Maybe next season will be them liberating those parks? That'd be fun as hell to see cowboys running around alongside samurai and Roman gladiators or whatever.

I don't think so. it would seem silly for there to be other existing parks that no one ever mentioned during the course of the show. Samurai World is probably in the very early stages of creating.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't think so. it would seem silly for there to be other existing parks that no one ever mentioned during the course of the show. Samurai World is probably in the very early stages of creating.

I think the implication that Maeve's daughter is in another "sector" implies that there are probably other "worlds," especially combined with the samurai.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Yeah, although...they always called it "this place" or "the park". What if they were referring to a larger, overall park...not Westworld specifically? Was there ever anybody that actually called it Westworld? What if the larger entity is called something like Delos Studios, and Westworld was a smaller branch?

I'm just thinking there could be a central hub that the shuttle train goes to, from where you can go to various parks. A la Disney World...staying at a park resort and taking park transportation to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, or Hollywood Studios.
0 x

Return to “Social”